Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#265877 09/06/15 02:50 AM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Who was it wanting James bandaged up and cared for? Yeah...that didn't happen, exactly...

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yikes, Anti-K! What are you doing to Lois and James? jawdrop Trask is horrible! I bet even telling him that Superman is the one who saved them from Nightfall wouldn't be believed. First, Clark almost loses his folks and now Trask doing this? I know Lois believes that Clark will never forgive her fully and therefore, since she already sees herself as poison to Clark, it only makes sense that she be literally that. I know that she's trying to save the person Clark sees as his brother, a part of his family. I'm glad she realizes about the watch. But if Lois becomes poison to Clark???? I don't want to think about that. mecry

It was great seeing flashbacks to Jimmy meeting up with CK and the Kents. It shows what a good investigator he really is. smile Perry would've been proud. It's so sad to hear the anger in his memory, the anger at other beloved characters (even if his anger is deserved).

Where's Clark?! Will he arrive in time? Even if he does, then what?! (I don't want to think about what will happen if he doesn't arrive in time, or if both Lois and James become poison to him.) thud Are you ready to up your posting schedule yet? grovel You're making us wait ANOTHER week to find out? ARGH!

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Wow. You really are making your characters work (and bleed) for their happy endings.

To cite one of the few happy moments in this part,
you’re family now, always
. Although it was very obvious by the Kents' deeds and their attitudes toward James, I'm glad that Clark actually told him this in so many words.

Please don't leave Jimmy and Lois (and, of course, *us*) here like this. How about posting the next part early -- like, perhaps, now? grovel

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
He knows the watch is screaming.

Oh, cool! You brought in the watch from GGGoH!

Jimmy, you’re family now, always.

mecry (tears of "awww")

(Needs to be James because in a world where there is no free CK, there isn’t the luxury of an innocent Jimmy, happy and carefree, either

mecry (sad tears)

He’s no longer naïve enough to believe that Trask isn’t watching them, listening in for any indication that they are calling (or not calling, as that is probably Trask’s greatest fear right now) for Superman.

Love how smart this new, tougher Jimmy is.

he would have felt the world disappearing as he blacks out for a second

WHAT are they doing?!?!?!

“It’s enough for me,” he told Jimmy, and Jimmy had smiled wide enough for the both of them.

mecry (sad and "awww" tears)

there are no shadows under Clark’s eyes, because physical weakness doesn’t show up on his strong, smooth, deceptive exterior, but there were enough shadows in his eyes,

Love, love, love this distinction!

“That’s just what I’m going to give him.”

Do NOT like the sound of that!

we have ways to keep them…distant.

He's...implanting Kryptonite in them, isn't he?

The government knew the world was at stake (it was why they had hunted James down and cornered him and begged him to call Superman for them). The public didn’t even know that much (and if CK had his way, they never would). But James and the Kents were the only ones that knew that Clark’s life was on the line too.

And all of that is too much for them to shoulder. Poor guys!

Clark Kent was broken.

whinging (tears of "you broke the reader")

James should know; he had sat at Clark’s bedside night after night

I think you are trying to drown me in my own tears. (It's working, by the way.)

I was for a while, yes, but…but I realized that I didn’t want to be angry forever. I didn’t want that moment to define me.

Here's why Clark is a better person than I am.

“What is it you called it, Lane? Kryptonite?”

Ack! I KNEW it!

“You said it yourself, Trask--everyone knows he’s an alien and can pass as one of us, but they’ve accepted him anyway. Not quite the reaction you expected.”

Exactly! Nice of you to point it out, Jimmy.

“A god complex?” James gasps. “I don’t think you’re talking about Superman anymore, Jason Trask. It seems to me that that flaw is illustrated a lot closer to home.”

Bravo, Jimmy! Well put.

Smiles a small, sad smile. “It’s okay, James,” she says. “Everything’s going to be okay.”

Someone has a plan...Hmmm.....

Okay, that was just cruel to leave us there. Unless you plan on giving us a new chapter now. You know, to celebrate the long weekend with? Please?

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Also, congrats, Trask, on providing a reason for Clark to fight harder than ever.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
Love James' thoughts on why he changed his name from Jimmy to James, and the loss of innocence that came with it. I like the backstory here, understanding why James is so devoted to being Clark's friend, and how he has become included in Clark's family.

Trask is a madman with an evil plan. And you are evil for leaving us with that cliffhanger! evil wildguy grin

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Great to read more backstory on Jimmy and him becoming James. Trask makes a great insane villian. I hope Superman has a plan to rescue James and Lois!

Joan

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Oh man, nail biting time! help

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
And the award for Most-Angst-Ridden-Suspenseful-Dangerous-Can't Stop Thinking About It-Cliffhanger EVER would be.....drumroll: Anti-K in Part 19 of "Newsworthy" clap clap clap.

hail notworthy hail notworthy hail. Congratulations!!! hyper

Wow. So many levels of terrific not-good-at-all-ness going on here:
1. James' pain (yes, I was the one who requested 'bandages' and him taken care of thud....yeeeaaaaahhhhhh--that ain't happenin' wink ! )

2. James' and Lois' danger...at the hands of a bonified crazy mad-man (wow-wy you write him CREEPY great!!!)

3. Kryptonite IV!?! hail Can it even get any more creatively evil than this scenario? Having Kryptonite pumped into your veins--just what would that do to the average person? eek Probably not good things. And then the end result--that that injection could therefore make you lethal to someone that you love and cherish (who will, and probably at the moment IS, risking his life for you?)

4. And lastly, the fact that all of this 'Crazy' is aimed at ending all that is 'Clark Kent', who is heading this direction currently (I'm guessing).

There are so many bad things happening to our beloved characters that I'm struggling to figure out just what to worry about first notworthy. But, the one consulation to all of this 'worry' is that it's already Wednesday, I'm playing my weekly game of 'catch up' on the boards, and the weekend is just a few more days away peep.

James' watch--bringing it back from GGGoH and using it as a beacon here for Clark--genious! Immensly impressed by that idea thumbsup.

This part was out of this world fantastic, Anti-K hyper.

Amazing!
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 09/09/15 08:52 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, if you didn't kill me after this chapter, I figure I might be able to start breathing a sigh of relief. Maybe. wink

VirginiaR, did you get an early copy of the next chapter? Spoilers in the feedback! Investigative James was fun to write, even though these flashbacks were HARD. Lois as literal poison to Clark...not that I was foreshadowing with the metaphorical poison or anything. smile

Sorry I can't up the posting schedule, Lynn! I'm doing a writing group that means I have to write upwards of a thousand words on my novel every week, and then I took on a project that rightfully needs about ten people but only has three of us. So...hmm...yeah, the last chapter is giving me loads of grief whenever I get a chance to open it and look at it. Still, I AM still working on it! After my characters have worked and bled so much, I do like there to be some sort of payoff!

Thanks, DC! I really liked the distinction of shadows under Clark's eyes versus IN them, too. Great minds... wink I'm so sorry to have broken you, though! It's just that type of story (as you well know from your own!!).

Thank you, groobie! I really liked the parallels of Superman leaving Clark behind and James leaving Jimmy behind -- both transitions that were forced by circumstances, but one was (Relatively) beneficial, and the other anything but!

I've always liked Trask as a villain, scifiJoan, precisely because he is so insane -- an insane zealot, which are the worst kind!

That's for sure, Morgana! My nails are bitten down to the quick seeing as how soon I'll need this last chapter finished and into my beta readers!

Aww, thanks so much for the award, LMA. I accept it gratefully and humbly! blush In all fairness, I didn't give James any bandages, but at least he's not the one being pumped up with liquid K. That's...at least a step in the right direction. So glad that Trask came across well -- insane villains are some of the most difficult people to write believable dialogue for! And I love the watch Jimmy had in GGGoH, but due credit, I do read the comics, where the watch is a major plot device in most Jimmy-centric stories, so it's not like I came up with it all on my own! I AM glad it didn't seem like a deus ex machina, though; there are breadcrumbs pointing to it throughout the story.

I'm so relieved that so many of you are continuing to enjoy this story! Thanks for all the encouragement!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard