Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
The Matchmaker Files - An Unusual Proposal

Rated PG-13

* emphasis*
<thoughts>

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * time passed – scene change

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ * scene change – universe change

Previously

Lois heard what Platt was saying as he was led away. Lois's curiosity was piqued and watched as a secretary picked up the packet that he had dropped and dumped it into a trashcan. Nonchalantly, trying not to attract attention, Lois walked over and stooping, picked the packet out of the trash. Once it was in hand she returned to her desk.

As she sat down someone turned up the volume on one of the TV monitors that carried the news station. What she saw sparked even more interest in what she had retrieved from the trash. Platt had claimed that the transport vehicle, Messenger, would explode. On the TV screen was an image of the Messenger vehicle itself. Lois listened as the news reader read her report.

"The transport vehicle Messenger, piloted by Commander Jack Laderman and carrying the final propulsion module for Space Station Prometheus, is scheduled for lift-off Friday at 9 A.M.

Many hopes are riding on the success of this mission, especially in light of the failure of last week's unmanned launch."

The view shifted to a mock-up of the space station as the announcer continued.

"Space Station Prometheus, an international effort, is still lying in its low orbit, awaiting the arrival of the remaining modules, including the colonist habitation module scheduled to launch next week. once all are in place, the Station will be lifted into permanent orbit."

The scene shifted again to a video tape recorded earlier. On screen were a number of white lab-coated scientists from Extra Planetary Research And Development (EPRAD) including Dr. Antoinette Baines, a beautiful physicist in her late thirties.

The announcer spoke over the video, "Dr. Toni Baines, Director of the Extra Planetary Research And Development agency, reminds us that timing is crucial. A series of delays and launch failures has put EPRAD's back to the wall."

The video shifted to an interview that had been done with Dr. Baines. In the video she said, " Unless all modules are in place within the next weeks, Space Station Prometheus will lose its orbit and fall back into Earth's atmosphere. That kind of occurrence would surely spell the end to any future projects and the space program as a whole."

Lois stopped watching the TV and spun back to her desk to examine Platt's credentials. As she did she accidentally swept them off her desk onto the floor. As Lois slid from her chair to kneel on the floor to pick them up, she was confronted by a long pair of legs that ended in spike heels standing directly in front of her.

As she looked up to see the owner of the legs, she heard, "Morning, Lois. On your hands and knees again, I see. I thought that ‘The Ice Queen' didn't do that kind of thing."

Lois was stung by this remark. She had never in her life done that with a man and she resented the implication. Looking up at Catherine Grant she saw that she was wearing a dress so tight that it clung to every curve and so short that it barely covered her derriere announcing to the world that she was all woman.

The best comeback she could come up with on short notice was, "Isn't it a little too early for you to be in, Cat? I thought ladies like you only worked nights."

Cat smiled and replied, "Part of my job as a society columnist ..."

Under her breath, Lois corrected her, "Oh, you mean mud-slinging rumor monger."

Cat continued without noticing, Lois's comment. "…. is to maintain an active social life. You remember what that's like ... or do you?" With that final barb, Cat leaned in and asked, "Who's the new tight end? Did you see him walk in?"

"No, I didn't notice. Now, I have work to do. Excuse me."

Dismissed, Cat spun on her spike heel and headed for her desk. Lois couldn't help noticing the stares she received from the males in the newsroom.

She muttered to herself, "What do men see in her, anyway? Don't they realize she's just looking for another notch on her garter belt?"

Jimmy was passing and overheard her. Shaking his head, he said, "Pathetic." Then thinking about what Lois had said, asked, "Have you actually seen this garter belt?"

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ *

Lois interrupted Herb by laughing. As she chortled she said, "Same old Cat. I actually miss those days. Now that she's out on the west coast we don't see each other that often."

Clark commented too, “You know, she kept throwing herself at me even after I made it clear that I wasn’t interested, but I believe that underneath, she was a good person.”

“Yeah, she started to change after she met George. Remember the guy she brought in that night at the Planet? The night I was with Lex and we were invaded?”

“Yeah, I noticed the changes too. She stopped pursuing me all of the sudden.”

Changing the subject, Lois asked, “Herb, that was Clark coming in for his interview?”

“Yes, that indeed was Clark. He was there for his interview with Mr. White.”

Curious, Lois asked, ”Did Perry turn him down the same way he did to my Clark?”

Herb thought for a second before answering, “Hmmm, well, not all thing parallel across the universes. I guess I’ll have to explain …”

And now

Chapter 04

While Lois and Jimmy were speaking, the young man had knocked on Perry's door and Perry hadn’t even looked up from the copy he was editing and beckoned him inside. Still without looking up he indicated his visitor chair and mumbled something about having a seat. Clark set his portfolio on the floor next to the chair and sat.

All the time Perry was working on the copy in front of him, Clark could hear him complaining about someone named, Ralph. Some of the expletives he used had Clark’s ears reddening.

Finally, after making a lot of marks on the copy, Perry sighed, put down his blue pencil, folded his hands in front of him and looked up. Apparently he had been so involved in editing Ralph’s copy that he had completely forgotten the interview and when he looked and he saw a young man sitting in his guest chair, he remembered and flushed with embarrassment.

With a sheepish expression at having left him sitting there while he edited Ralph’s copy, he set it aside. He said, “Sorry to keep you waiting,” and picking up the folder with the job application in it, opened it and dithered as he perused the contents, not really seeing it. He was so embarrassed he couldn’t see straight and was trying to compose himself.

Lois had given the stranger only a passing glance because she was more interested in the packet of papers the visitor had dropped on the floor. She opened it and started going through it and her eyebrows quirked as she did. Her opinion of the ‘crazy' man was revised. She decided that there could really be a story here and mulled over how best to approach Perry.

When Perry finally had settled himself, he set the folder aside and gave his visitor his attention, Clark arose and leaning forward held out his hand and said, "Mr. White, I really appreciate you taking the time to interview me."

Perry said, "So, Mr. …" Even as he said it, he realized that because he couldn’t remember this young man’s name it was obvious that he hadn’t really been reading the material in the folder.

"Kent. Clark Kent."

Again, Perry picked up a sheet of paper from the folder on his desk and actually started reading it this time. Once he finished, he said, "Yes. Kent. Oh, that’s right, Professor Carlton called me about you. Haven't seen him in ... let's see ... editor of the Smallville Press ... that's in ..."

Clark supplied, "Kansas."

The loud buzzing of the intercom interrupted them and Perry looked at is in such a way as to indicate that it wouldn’t require much encouragement for him to pick it up and throw it across the room. Impatiently, he depressed a switch and listened. "Composing needs the latest mock-up."

Perry depressed the switch again and replied, "Well, tell him to keep his pants on, I’m in the middle of an interview. And where's my lunch? If Carlini's can't deliver on time, find a place that can. Try Travaglini's." He released a sigh, placed two fingers alongside of his neck feeling for his pulse and looked at his watch as he said, as an aside to Clark, "I bought a blood pressure monitor last week, would you believe it? Hell, I'm only forty-nine."

As an apparent non sequitur, Clark said, "Paava leaves."

Confused, Perry said, "Excuse me?"

By way of explanation, Clark said, "The members of the Yolngu tribe in New Guinea eat Paava leaves to relieve stress ... puts them in a meditative state. Maybe you should try it."

Giving him a wary eye, Perry replied, "Uh, huh. Sounds like you've done some traveling."

Clark nodded and replied, "Some. I spent some time in a Llamasary in Tibet and with the Sherpas in Nepal. I just got back from Australia. I've been studying the Dreamtime theory in Aboriginal mythology. I've also spent time in some of the major world capitals,” in an obvious demonstration of just how facile his mind was, he started listing them, in alphabetical order, “Auckland, Berlin, Brazzaville, Cairo, Canberra, Geneva, Jakarta, Johannesburg, Katmandu, London, Moscow, Paris, Rome, Seoul, Tel-Aviv, Tokyo, -"

Interrupting his recitation, Perry commented, "Oh, a citizen of the world."

Clark shook his head, as he proceeded to explain, "Not really. I’ve just traveled a lot. After I graduated from college I decided to broaden my horizons. This is my first time in Metropolis." He picked up a portfolio that is common to artists and writers and placed it in Perry's hands. "I brought some samples of my work."

Just then, before Perry had a chance to even open the portfolio; Lois came storming into Perry's office. "Perry, that man wasn't a kook."

Perry gave her a strange look and bellowed, "Can't you see I'm conducting an interview here? How many times do I have to tell you to knock?" Knowing how useless his remonstrance would be, he sighed as he placed the portfolio on the desk. When Lois didn't move, in a calmer tone he performed the introductions, "Lois Lane, Clark Kent,"

Lois gave Clark no more than a glance nodded to him and then expectantly looked back at Perry. Her impatience was evident as she stood there staring at Perry.

For Clark’s part he looked at Lois and felt like he had been hit right between the eyes with a two by four. He could only with difficulty tear his eyes away from her. He was convinced that she was the most beautiful woman he had ever in his life laid his eyes on. He felt an immediate attraction. He had met many women in his travels. Most recently, the twins in the Brazzaville office had each tried to draw him into a sexual relationship. He had to admit that he had been attracted to them, but nothing like this. This was far beyond his previous experience. Lois Lane, no matter how this interview turned out, that was a name he was going to remember.

Perry noticed the fact that Kent was staring at Lois and in an attempt to bring him back to his reason for being here, said, "Well, let's take a look ..." Opening the portfolio, he looked at the first article and started reading. As he did, his eyebrows went up in disbelief and he read aloud, "The Borneo Gazette? ‘Mating Rituals of the Knob-Tailed Gecko?'"

As he read, Clark’s attention was drawn back to Perry.

Lois started. Hearing this triggered the memory of the time in the Land Rover with Suzanne and Collette as they had driven to Point Noir and how they had laughed about a particular story and how they had gone on about the author. Lois realized that she hadn’t given him much of a look so she took a curious look at the individual across the desk from Perry. This was Coquinos, tall, dark and handsome, just the way Suzanne and Colette had described him. She took a closer look and suddenly, her mouth went dry as it fell open. Mentally she chastised Suzanne and Colette for their understatements. She could see why they were attracted to him and each had tried to develop a relationship. Like them, now that she was looking at him, she could feel an immediate attraction, but she pushed it down. She didn’t want to be attracted to anyone, not now, not ever. Attraction meant a relationship and relationships proceeded to marriage and then divorce and she didn’t want that. Coquinos, no, Clark Kent, that was a name she was going to remember.

While she was staring at him literally in openmouthed wonder, she heard Perry in the background as he said, "Look, Kent, I'm sure these stories are fascinating, but this is the Daily-Planet, the greatest newspaper in the world! Our people are dedicated servants of the fourth estate who deal routinely with matters of international significance."

The mood was broken when suddenly; Jimmy barged into the office through the still open door. Lois stopped staring at Clark and her head snapped around to look at Jimmy as did Clark and Perry. Seeing that they were all looking at him, Jimmy stopped dead in his tracks and held up a set of keys. "I fixed the horn on your golf cart."

Perry, bellowed, "Not now!"

Jimmy dropped the keys on Perry's desk and beat a hasty retreat.

Turning back to Clark he said, "As I was saying, before I was so rudely interrupted, I just don't think that ... Look, Kent, you seem like an intelligent guy, but you can't just walk in here with this kind of portfolio and expect a job based on this kind of reporting. Hell, I've got PH.Ds in journalism delivering newspapers …"

As a result of Jimmy’s interruption, Lois managed to regain her equilibrium and seeing that the interview was going downhill rapidly she tried desperately to remember all that the twins had said about Coquinos and remembered that he had written some good stuff while there on staff. She wanted desperately to help him get hired so she stepped to Perry’s side and interrupted him by addressing Clark. "Clark, why did you put that first? Look, when you go for an interview you need to put your most important work up front so that it is the first thing seen.” As she spoke, she flipped through the portfolio as if she knew what was there and was looking for something specific. “You want to impress the person you are interviewing with." She continued flipping through his folio and finally stopped when she found what she was looking for. In a chastising tone, she said, "Ah, I see what you've done, common mistake, you have it in chronological order. It's better with order of importance. Put the best first." As if pointing to the spot on a map where the treasure was buried, Lois put her finger on the page she had opened to and said, "Ah hah, there it is. There you go, Perry. ‘A Report on the Activities of the Rebels in Impfondo and along the Oubangui River.'" She looked at Clark and smiled as she said, "That should be the lead series!”

Clark and Perry both looked at her aghast. Clark asked, "How did you know about that?"

Lois looked at the baffled expressions on both men and started to laugh. She explained to Perry, "Clark was working in the Brazzaville office until shortly before I was there on the gunrunning story." In an aside, Lois said to Clark, “Suzanne et Collette envoient leurs salutations.” {Suzanne and Collette send their regards.}

A look of understanding came over Clark's features as he said in understanding, "Derek, Suzanne and Collette." Looking at Perry, he explained, "My desk was in the same office."

Lois smiled at Clark and said, "Suzanne and Collette couldn't say enough about you. They were still laughing about the Knob-Tailed Gecko story when I got there. They were all sorry that you had left."

Perry came out of his shock and asked, "Why didn't you say you had worked for the Daily Planet before?"

In a sincere tone, Clark replied, "I prefer to get a job on my own merits."

Perry’s tone was completely changed as he held out his hand and said, "You worked for Derek Price in the Brazzaville office. That's good enough for me. Welcome to the Daily Planet, Clark Kent."

As they shook hands, Perry turned to Lois and said, "Since you seem to know Mr. Kent here, why don't the two of you work together, at least until he learns the ropes."

"But Perry, I always work alone, you know that."

"Not anymore you don't. Now, take him down to personnel and get him signed in."

"Can't Jimmy do that? I need to talk to you about a story."

"Okay, but, Kent, as soon as you are all signed in, report to Lois."

With a broad smile, he replied, "Sure thing, Mr. White."

Perry stopped him and said, "You're part of the family now. Call me Perry or Chief."

Smiling even broader, Clark replied, "Sure thing, Perry."

Perry bellowed, "Jimmy!"

Within seconds, Jimmy was at the door and Perry addressed him. "Jimmy, take Clark here down the personnel and get him signed in."

"Sure thing, Chief." As they walked out, he turned to Clark, held out his hand which Clark took and shook while Jimmy introduced himself, "My name is Jimmy Olsen. I'm the gofer and part-time photographer."

Clark was smiling, as he shook Jimmy’s hand and replied, "Hi, Jimmy. Clark Kent. Pleased to meet you."

Herb stopped telling the story and with a twinkle in his eye, said, "While Jimmy took Clark to personnel to complete the hiring process, Lois presented the paperwork that Dr. Platt had dropped. She convinced Perry that there was a story to investigate and she and Clark did that investigation. Everything in that investigation went the same way as yours, even Superman's debut, so you see some things remained the same. Shortly after that though things took a different course, yes, a different course indeed."

Lois was impatient to hear more and said, "Come on, Herb. Don't keep us in suspense. What changed?"

Looking at Lois he smiled and said, "You won't have to wait much longer." But I need to back up a bit. Before the investigation, Clark called home …"

That evening Clark called his parents.

"Well, Clark, it's good to hear from you. How are things?"

"Oh, they're just fine, Dad. Is Mom on the line?"

"Right here, Honey."

"Hi, Mom. Well, I've got some good news."

"Okay, don't keep us in suspense, what is it?"

"I got a job."

"That's terrific, Son. Where?"

"The Daily Planet."

"That's wonderful news, Honey. Isn't that the paper you wanted to work for?"

"The very one. I almost didn't get the job, though."

Curious, Martha asked, "Oh, what happened?"

"My portfolio. I don't have it arranged properly. Luckily, Lois was there."

Hearing his tone of voice, Martha sensed something and a note of interest appeared in her voice as she asked, "Lois? Who is Lois?"

Clark tried to have a matter-of-fact tone to his voice, but failed miserably, "Lois is my new partner."

"Okay, what happened?"

"I was interviewing with Perry, Mr. White, and he didn't like my work … until Lois flipped through my folio and showed him the articles I had written in Brazzaville."

Jonathan asked, "How did she know about them?"

"She was in Brazzaville shortly after I left. She met Derek and the Black sisters. They told her about me. If not for her, I might not have gotten the job."

Martha couldn’t help asking, "Well, what is she like?"

“Who?”

Martha pursued, “Lois, silly. What is she like?”

"What can I say … she's … she's beautiful and brilliant and driven to be the best. She has beautiful brown hair and a smile that’s like the sun on a bright day. Oh, and she doesn’t dress in the rather brazen way the Black sisters did. She is quite conservative in her dress."

Martha placed her hand over the mouthpiece and mouthed to Jonathan, "He's in love."

Jonathan smiled his agreement and asked, "Do you think this partnership is going to work out?"

"I don't know, she's awfully bossy, but she does know what she is doing. We started working on a story this afternoon. Mom, how is your sewing machine working?"

"Fine, Honey. What do you need?"

"Oh, I don't know. Some kind of … disguise, you know, like a Halloween costume just not something fanciful like a ghost or vampire. There was an accident today. Lois and I were returning from lunch and -"

Martha interrupted, "You and Lois had lunch together?" There was a hint of laughter in her voice.

Hearing that Clark was a little embarrassed and tried to get back on topic, "Yes, we had lunch together so that we could discuss work. Anyhow, on the way back there was a gas explosion in the underground system. There was a life at stake so I ducked down another manhole and rescued the worker. My suit got dirty as a result. He also recognized me. I was able to deflect it by saying he must be in shock, but how many times can I do that? Lois saw that my suit was dirty and suggested that I keep a change of clothes in a locker at the Planet, but I was thinking more along the lines of some kind of costume. Ideally it should be something I can wear under my regular clothes. I want some way that I can help out without it being obvious that it's me. Do you know what I mean? In the past if I’ve been seen I’ve had to move on to another city. I don’t want to do that anymore. I think I want to stay here, in Metropolis"

"I think I have an idea of what you want, Honey. Why don't you come for supper on Friday and we can see what we can come up with."

“Okay, Mom. Thanks. I’ll see you guys on Friday.”

After they hung up, Martha burst out laughing. When she finally got herself under control, she said, “Definitely in love. After all this time of traveling and having no problem moving on if he was seen, suddenly he wants to settle down. This Lois must be something.” Her voice took on a more serious tone as she said, “I’m glad he has finally found someone. I hope we get to meet her soon.”

“Everything in its time, Martha. Everything in its time.”

Interrupting, Clark said, "Wow. I wish it had been that way for me. Perry almost didn't hire me at all. Makes me wish that I had worked in the Brazzaville office."

Lois quipped, "Why, because of the twins?"

Clark replied, "I'm sure that they are very nice girls, but you know that there is only one woman for me and that's you. I presume that he was the same way from what Herb was saying."

Lois smiled and said, "You got out of that one easily enough."

Clark smiled and kissed her then asked, “Herb, did you send him there?"

Herb replied, "I cannot take any credit for that. It was a decision that that Clark made, but it did shortcut the process somewhat."

Lois asked, "From what you said, it sounded as if she was attracted to him. I have to admit, there was an attraction on my part, but it scared me. I didn't want to admit it, even to myself."

Herb smirked and replied, "It is hard to tell and that is one question I failed to ask. I did imply that from future incidents."

Lois blurted out, "Oh, you've talked to them?"

Nodding, Herb replied, "Oh, yes. We are quite good friends now."

Clark asked, "Are they as happy together as we are?"

"Why don't I finish telling the story and you can judge for yourselves."

Lois was eager to hear more and it could be heard in the tone of her voice as she said, “Okay, so, don’t keep us in suspense. What happened next? Did she get involved with Lex Luthor?"

"Because of how things worked out, Luthor's involvement in their lives was somewhat different. If you recall, the name of the company that was shipping the arms was L&M Enterprises, Inc. It was named after the principles who headed the company. The ‘L' was of course, Lex Luthor. The ‘M' was Miranda Michaels. They were in a relationship after he was divorced from Arianna Carlin."

Lois and Clark both blurted out, "Miranda!"

They looked at each other and Clark said, "We were right! They did have a history before the pheromone incident. That was why she wanted revenge."

Lois added, "They must have been together as a couple at the time and then he threw her over. That's why she came after me. Luthor was after me and she resented it. She wanted him for herself."

Clark asked, "How did that change Luthor's involvement in our, uh, their lives?"

"Eventually the gunrunning and other things came to light and he went to jail. That didn't happen right away, but eventually the team of Lane and Kent, to use your vernacular, got the goods on him."

With some regret, Lois said, "I wish it had been that easy for us. All of the problems that Lex caused, we sure could have done without them."

Herb chuckled and said, "Oh, another thing - Lois just had to gloat somewhat. As soon as she finished talking to Perry about the story and before Clark returned from Personnel she returned to her desk and brought up her email program. She sent an email to Suzanne and Collette

“TO: S.Black@DP.com ; C.Black@DP.com
SUBJECT: Coquinos

Suzanne et Collette,
Très bonne nouvelle!
Perry White vient d'embaucher Coquinos.
Il va être mon partenaire.
Vous aviez raison, il est tellement beau.
Lois”

{Suzanne and Collette,
Wonderful news!
Perry White just hired Coquinos.
He is going to be my partner.
You were right, he is so handsome.
Lois}

Because of the time difference she didn’t receive their responses until the following day.

“TO: L.Lane@DP.com
SUBJECT: RE: Coquinos

Lois,
C'est en effet de bonnes nouvelles, petite amie.
Nous sommes tellement heureux pour toi. Notre malheur est votre chance.
S'il vous plaît, lui présenter nos respects et lui dire que nous lui manquer.

Suzanne”

{Lois,

That is indeed good news, girlfriend.
We are so happy for you. Our misfortune is your good fortune.
Please give him our regards and tell him that we miss him.

Suzanne}

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 09/05/15 05:57 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
A gloating Lois is hilarious....

Black Star: "If it's fear that you speak of, then I'll stand and face it. I'll never give up. The only time I lose is when I die!" - Soul Eater

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard