Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#265832 09/03/15 08:48 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I just upgraded to Windows 10 this morning. I tried the new Windows Edge browser, but much to my annoyance, it wouldn't let me sign in here. Once I signed in with Chrome, Edge finally did let me sign in.

Has anyone else tried Windows 10? What was your experience?

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Annie B. #265837 09/03/15 05:23 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I've been using Windows 10 and I like it. I have stuck with Chrome for most of my browsing, though.

One thing you should be aware of with this version of Windows; its default settings basically let Microsoft not only get a lot of data from you, they even let the company use *your* bandwidth to spread their updates. For more information, check out this link and this one.
Joy,
Lynn

Annie B. #265845 09/04/15 10:53 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've been using Windows 10 for some days and I've been liking it. I was using Windows 7 and it has improved in speed and performance. I use Firefox and Chrome, so I can't say anything about their browser, though. I didn't know about these privacy issues, so thanks for the heads up, Lynn! shock

But I'm having a hard time believing that this is for free. Really? There is no catch? I'm worried that I accept it now and afterwards there are charges that I'm not aware about. spider

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Annie B. #265863 09/05/15 01:57 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Does it stay logged in here?

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Annie B. #265869 09/05/15 07:01 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
At first, it wouldn't log in at all. Then I logged in using Chrome, and it worked and stayed logged in.

This isn't the only site that seems to have a problem with Windows Edge. Some of the crafts forums my mom likes had the same problem when she updated to Windows 10.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

Annie B. #265914 09/09/15 12:06 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
My dad upgraded to Windows 10, and then found that his computer automatically restarted itself after he shut it down. He has yet to find a solution.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Lynn S. M. #265916 09/09/15 01:23 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
So, I checked out Windows 10 at Staples this morning. It looks like MS has realized that Windows 8 is horrible because us old folks don't like instant change. They've gotten rid of many of the things about it that drives me nuts at work. (It can't help that it's on a laptop with a touchpad instead of desktop with a mouse. That's just something I'll have to learn to deal with.) It's moved all the Apps to the the Smart button (Start button?). I'm sure there will be a way to make it look more user friendly (to me) if/when I have time to change the settings. I'm one of these people who believes in equality, even for my computer programs. So, it doesn't make sense that there should be various shaped boxes (with photos because modern people can't read apparently) for the different programs (which people now apparently call "apps"). [Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
One thing you should be aware of with this version of Windows; its default settings basically let Microsoft not only get a lot of data from you, they even let the company use *your* bandwidth to spread their updates. For more information, check out this link and this one.
Thanks, Lynn. Those were very insightful and informative articles. smile Good info to know.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Annie B. #265917 09/09/15 01:37 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I went in and changed the settings to protect my privacy. I have no faith in Microsoft's ability to keep out hackers.

Annie B. #266165 09/19/15 02:36 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hey, does anyone know how to tell Windows 10 to stop turning off my Number's Lock whenever I shut down my computer? It didn't start doing it until I installed Win 10, so it must be to blame, right? It wreaks havoc whenever I'm trying to type in my passwords. I'm a 10-Key type of woman.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Annie B. #266171 09/19/15 05:03 PM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Huh...it does? /goes checking google/ That's...it looks like you're not alone out there. There's some tips out there about manipulating the registry to make numlock be turned on after you boot, but nothing about making Windows just *remember* the bloody setting wallbash

For instance: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3gjcxd/numlock_disabled_after_booting_up_windows_10/

Disclaimer: I haven't tried that one yet, since I'm still on Windows 8.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Annie B. #266182 09/20/15 03:26 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thank you, Michael. That was above my skill / understanding level. I'm just a humble classics major. (Think: Computing for Dummies level.) I went through all of my settings screens and could not find the one referenced in that link. huh So, I went and did my own research. shock thud

Apparently (not that I've had opportunity to try it), if one turns on one's computer, then hits the number lock key (on the log-in page) and then restarts one's computer, the computer is supposed to remember that you like the number lock key to stay locked. Sounds illogical to me (or just a one time fix). If a computer can do that from the log-in screen, why can't it do that from the desktop? In Windows 7, if I left my number lock on, it stayed on. (Same with cap locks, though I only use that rarely.) How is a new program supposed to make life easier, if it makes it more difficult? /rolls eyes/

Thanks for suggestion, anyway. smile

VirginiaR.
---
Annie B. #266183 09/20/15 09:08 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I'm finding that Windows 10 is much more user-friendly than Windows 8. When I replaced my old computer back in January, the new one came with Windows 8. It was very confusing, especially since I'd never encountered it before (the computers at work use Windows 7, and my old computer had XP). Now that I've upgraded to Windows 10, the computer is a lot easier to use.

At work, the tech department installed a new staff computer in the library to replace a dying one that uses -- you guessed it -- Windows 8. I promptly asked why they didn't just upgrade to Windows 10. The tech gave me an aggravated look and said they're working on it. Meanwhile, I'm teaching my co-workers to use Windows 8. It's amazing how much you learn when you're teaching somebody about something.

Annie B. #266218 09/21/15 11:22 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I tried that trick with the number lock problem (restarting after pressing the number lock key on the log-in page) and it seemed to work this first time. Jury is still out on whether it will work next time.

Originally Posted by Annie B.
I'm finding that Windows 10 is much more user-friendly than Windows 8. When I replaced my old computer back in January, the new one came with Windows 8. It was very confusing, especially since I'd never encountered it before (the computers at work use Windows 7, and my old computer had XP). Now that I've upgraded to Windows 10, the computer is a lot easier to use.
I agree. Win 10 is better than Win 8; just like MoS is better than Superman Returns. wink It doesn't right all the wrongs, and there will probably be things about it I will hate, but for the most part I enjoy it more.

VirginiaR.
---
Annie B. #266239 09/22/15 10:32 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
How is everyone getting Win 10? I'm still on the stupid waiting list!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
I signed up for the free copy of Win 10 on my desktop computer and then later on with the laptop (my husband uses). Then I noticed that it was on the laptop. My husband said, "yeah, that downloaded this past weekend. It took forever!" (okay, that might have been a slight exaggeration.) I wondered why his laptop downloaded his Win 10 before mine, when I signed up first. So, I went back to my desktop, clicked on the little windows symbol on my task bar / icon bar (over to lower right hand side by the clock). It automatically downloaded Win 10. I guess it was waiting for me to ask a 2nd time. /roll eyes/ I thought it was going to let me know when I could. (silly me) So, naturally, I freaked because I hadn't backed up my Word writing files since I had bought my flashdrives a couple of weeks ago. So, I stuck in my flashdrive and updated it with my new content. (Thankfully, it still let me do this as it was prepping my computer for download.) I have to agree with my husband that it did take a while (several hours), but I had a 2 foot zucchini I was making into bread and muffins for the winter. (6 batches later, I've still got some zucchini left.)

Sorry for the long story. Apparently, I tend to run on when telling a story. [Linked Image] Forgive me.

The short version: Try clicking the Windows 10 link on your task bar again. Maybe it gives preferential treatment to those who ask more than once. wink

VirginiaR.
---
VirginiaR #266246 09/22/15 02:36 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
I signed up for the free copy of Win 10 on my desktop computer and then later on with the laptop (my husband uses). Then I noticed that it was on the laptop. My husband said, "yeah, that downloaded this past weekend. It took forever!" (okay, that might have been a slight exaggeration.) I wondered why his laptop downloaded his Win 10 before mine, when I signed up first. So, I went back to my desktop, clicked on the little windows symbol on my task bar / icon bar (over to lower right hand side by the clock). It automatically downloaded Win 10. I guess it was waiting for me to ask a 2nd time. /roll eyes/ I thought it was going to let me know when I could. (silly me) So, naturally, I freaked because I hadn't backed up my Word writing files since I had bought my flashdrives a couple of weeks ago. So, I stuck in my flashdrive and updated it with my new content. (Thankfully, it still let me do this as it was prepping my computer for download.) I have to agree with my husband that it did take a while (several hours), but I had a 2 foot zucchini I was making into bread and muffins for the winter. (6 batches later, I've still got some zucchini left.)

Sorry for the long story. Apparently, I tend to run on when telling a story. [Linked Image] Forgive me.

The short version: Try clicking the Windows 10 link on your task bar again. Maybe it gives preferential treatment to those who ask more than once. wink
A 2-foot zucchini?! That would make a lot of zucchini bread. (I'll admit it; I'm more impressed with the zucchini than with Windows 10.)

Annie B. #266247 09/22/15 03:18 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
2 foot zucchini? Geez! smile

I keep checking the little windows icon on my tool bar and it keeps telling me that I'll be informed when it's ready for me. *Sigh*

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Annie B. #266250 09/22/15 05:04 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
A two foot zuke is impressive in size, but I've found that the larger zucchinis tend not to be as tender or as sweet.

There is a way to "jump to the head of the line" with Windows 10, but involves tweaking the registry -- that's something you don't want to do unless you feel really comfortable with the admin side of Windows. If you do something wrong, you could mess up your computer big time. (Such that if you don't remember how to undo the change and if you haven't backed up the registry, you might need to wipe your disk and reinstall Windows and everything else.)

Joy,
Lynn

Annie B. #266251 09/22/15 05:11 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lynn, I'm a computer moron, so I'll have to wait. devilsplat

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Annie B. #266271 09/24/15 11:08 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Apparently, that quick fix for the number lock key was temporary as I feared it would be. grumble It worked that one day, but the next day it was back to being turned off when I turn my computer on. I don't understand the concept of making a program that turns off all of your settings every time you turn it on. Does a car with electronic seat adjustment move it back to factory specs every time you turn off your car? No, it leaves your seat exactly where you left it! splat

VirginiaR.
---
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard