Next Thread
Print Thread
#265768 08/30/15 08:57 PM
S
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
S
I had fun writing it--I hope you had fun reading it.

Story is here: Necktie of Truth

Shallowford
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Shallowford,

I'm starting to fade away for the night, so I'll be saving the pleasure of reading your story for another day, but I did decide to sneak in a peak at the introductory comments, and wanted to respond ASAP to the following:
Thanks to Lynn S. M., whose response to my “I’m Superman” discussion was heavily plagiarized.
You're welcome, but, ummm... May I request a clarification? I hope by that you did not mean to say that I did a lot of plagiarizing. I never intentionally plagiarize and would not want to have posted anything that had copied someone else's words without attribution; if you can point me to any other stories with phrasing such as what I had posted, I will delete the earlier post ASAP and will make my profound apologies to the original author.

Or did you simply mean that my reply to this thread exemplified the sort of revelation one might see in a lot of stories? I would agree with this last item -- but exemplification and plagiarism are two very different things. To the best of my knowledge, my wording was completely my own. I was not looking at any other authors' works when I wrote that paragraph; I wrote it off the top of my head.

Sorry if my reaction seems a bit panicked or overboard -- as a college instructor who deals with actual plagiarism every semester (and with the serious repercussions to students who do plagiarize), I am extremely sensitive to the issue and to what does, and does not, constitute plagiarism. An accusation of plagiarism is not to be taken lightly.

I am looking forward to reading your story.

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., As I wrote above, I have started to fade away for the night. If I had been more alert, I would probably have gotten your meaning earlier. After I posted the above, it dawned on me what you may have meant, and I glanced through the story (again, I plan to read it properly when I am more alert) and confirmed that by the quote above you meant that you made extensive use of my earlier post in your story; in other words, you were trying to say that you plagiarized me, not that I had plagiarized anyone. *whew*

I am honoured that you liked my response in your earlier thread enough to use it as the basis for a critical part of your story. smile And since you did, more or less, give attribution (if not in correct APA or MLA format wink ), and since you did do some paraphrasing (a lot more than some of my students do, at any rate), your "plagiarism" would be borderline, at worst. (I'm too tired to compare the original to the final product, but I do know that I liked your wording better than my own.)

And now I'm off to get some much needed rest...

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Yay! I was looking forward to this, and it was absolutely worth the wait! clap

Hilarious, Shallowford. smile My favorite part was Lex's 6-foot plummet: I actually laughed out loud. It's a shame Lois didn't get to share any secrets, but I guess Clark's right: they already had enough confessions that day. wink

~•~
Top Banana
Top Banana
That was hilarious! I loved it when Lex started confessing all his crimes.

And now Lois knows the truth, and she doesn't hate Clark. smile

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That was great! Lex spewing all of that info before the city (and the world) was priceless! Glad I could "convince" you to write this! smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

S
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
S
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
I am honoured that you liked my response in your earlier thread enough to use it as the basis for a critical part of your story. smile And since you did, more or less, give attribution (if not in correct APA or MLA format wink ), and since you did do some paraphrasing (a lot more than some of my students do, at any rate), your "plagiarism" would be borderline, at worst.
Hi Lynn,

I was horrified when I saw the beginning of your post. I was trying for "humorous attribution" and genuine thanks, not accusation. I'm sorry that it came off poorly. Thank you for your post script.

I agree with your position on plagarism. Wherever possible, I prefer attribution and use with permission--or at least a smartass warning as below. When I started writing Clark's confession your "I'm Superman" post was exactly what was needed.

I hope you enjoy the story when you have a chance to read it in full.
Originally Posted by Shallowford in "I'm Superman" thread
(Warning--parts of any discussion following may be hijacked and incorporated into a story...) wink

Shallowford
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Shallowford,

No worries... Had I not been half-asleep when I read your original post, I would probably have interpreted it correctly the first time. My tendency to take things literally increases along with my exhaustion level.

So don't worry -- I won't send an "Academic Honesty Infraction" form up to the Dean of Instruction's office about this incident. wink And as I wrote, I am flattered that you chose to use my response in the earlier thread as the basis of part of your story.

I've read the first two thirds or so of your story so far and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Joy,
Lynn

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Great job, Shallowford smile...

I loved it, beginning to end. Clark's confession was awesome--and I really enjoy the idea of there not being secrets between them so early on. Lex's admissions--and made on a public stage, to boot!--were written amazingly. Hilarious.

Oh, and I have to agree with Queenie, you had me LOL at Lex's 6 foot plummet, too smile.

Wonderful!
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 08/31/15 11:46 AM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Top Banana
Top Banana
I particularly liked the idea that Lois was so blown away by Clark's announcement that he was in love with her that the admission that he was also Superman was lost in the noise. It took him mentioning that he was attending to receive the Key to the City not to cover the event to bring that realization to the front of her mind...

The 6 foot plummet was also amusing. I will have to re-read this when I am not so pushed for time to get the logistics of how they were going to get control of the lasso threads so it did not destroy the world as we know it. It began to get a bit confusing for me at the speed with which I was reading it...

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Shallowford,

I have finished reading the story; what fun! I agree with the high points others mentioned (especially Lex's non-death-defying plummet from the stage). I also liked the way you made it clear what a good thing it is that Wonder Woman keeps such close tabs on her lasso. I shudder to think what such technology could be used for in the wrong hands. And having Bobby Bigmouth save the day was a stroke of brilliance.

Well done!

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
That lasso certainly could do a lot of damage! I wonder what Lex is thinking while he's sitting in jail..."What the heck just happened?!" LOL

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm glad someone is thinking on their feet. Yes, this "technology" in the wrong hands would certainly be bad.

Lois seemed to have some difficulty actually believing Clark each time he confessed that he was Superman. Okay, she was distracted by his love the first time, and then later, when she told him to lie, she actually thought he was lying, despite him telling her that he had these abilities.

What confused me was why Clark still told Lois that he was Superman despite the tie being in the next room (after she took the tie off him and brought him into the conference room). Did it have a delayed reaction? Maybe they weren't exaggerating when they said being near the lasso compelled someone to speak the truth.

It was so Lex Luthor to steal Lois's tie without asking. He deserves everything he received. I, especially, enjoyed the scene of his confession at the Key ceremony and his dive off the stage. clap Well done.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
S
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
S
Thanks to all for the kind words. blush

I'm glad that everyone liked the plummet and faceplant. It's funny--that was one of the first scenes that I knew had to be in there.

Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Okay, she was distracted by his love the first time, and then later, when she told him to lie, she actually thought he was lying, despite him telling her that he had these abilities.

She asked him to tell her something outlandish, genuinely believing that Lex had burned the tie out. After all, Dr. Klein never really defined what a "short lifespan" was. I figured that Clark started telling fun, outlandish stories like she was expecting and she got distracted because she was having a good time. On the other side, Clark could have told her the tie still worked from the start but saw the humor in doing it this way.

Originally Posted by VirginiaR
What confused me was why Clark still told Lois that he was Superman despite the tie being in the next room (after she took the tie off him and brought him into the conference room). Did it have a delayed reaction? Maybe they weren't exaggerating when they said being near the lasso compelled someone to speak the truth.

As I understand it, the Lasso can't ordinarily be removed by a person under it's influence and it compels an immediate response. I thought Clark should have a little leeway in how he reacted. He was able to remove the tie when a normal person couldn't have. He was also able to delay, slightly, his answer to Lois. (BTW, if this is wrong, please bear with me, I'm a Marvel transplant. Please note the Loki quote.)

One of the hardest parts was figuring out how to get the tie on Luthor after the story insisted that there would be a revelation. Clark's limited resistance helped with that. The next hardest part was trying to write the first part of Luthor's speech so that it was potentially complementary to Superman but still ambiguous.

Shallowford
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
[Linked Image] Sorry I‘m a bit late to the game blush
Lois groaned. She was struggling. Chained to her desk with no escape in sight.
Some variant of Fly Hard?

Perry would kill her if she didn't finish this copy.
Oh, figuratively.
LOIS: Duh!
Well…to be fair, with Lois such statements can always swing the other way, too.
LOIS: mad

As a girl, for a time, she had watched westerns at every opportunity, drawn by the conflict of good and evil. She had determined that SHE would wear a white hat and bring evildoers to justice as well.
That and a certain Lulu, huh?

Eventually her father explained about special effects and the dream was lost.
Was that before or after Lois asked how Santa would be able to get down the chimney with his potbelly so he could kiss Mommy under the Christmas tree?

"Why a tie?" Lois asked.
Men lie during dates and press conferences. Men also wear ties during both occasions. It seemed like a natural fit.

She almost regretted canceling last week's lunch meeting with the wealthy industrialist
Her date?

She did corruption and in-your-face best; Clark did touchy-feely and science well.
Best and well clap

What's your big secret? Where do you always go?" While she was speaking, part of her watched, fascinated, as the tie flew into a graceful arc, touched Clark's wrist and executed three perfect loops just like in the westerns.
Oops? Also, see? Self-assembling.

He paced as he spoke. "Lois, we've worked well together the last two months. I think we've become good friends in that time. My big secret is that I've fallen absolutely head-over-heels for you. I know you said that you didn't have time for me to fall for you but it was already too late."
jawdrop rotflol

"And I was leaving because someone needed Superman
thud

“You’re ... receiving?” Oh crap. He DID say that he was Superman, didn’t he? Clark Kent is Superman. Clark Kent is Superman. She sat there dazed until Clark intervened.
:p

"Unfortunately, it's too early for him to go straight to the presentation.
So…oops, then?

“Superman....My thoughts on Superman. What can I say?” Lex appeared uncertain for a moment and held the sides of the podium.
peep

Bribes are up, profits are down, and more store owners are refusing to pay their protection money.”
Poor dear…

On the stage opposite Superman, the Police Chief was frantically miming “handcuffs” to the officers in the security detail.
laugh

but Toni Baines had such nice legs.”
Nice touch!
LEX: Yes, they were very nice to touch.

“Well, it’s definitely a challenge but I’m the Boss and everyone expects me to have the answers.” He picked up the Key and turned toward Superman, still intending to present the award.
clap

Lex jumped dramatically off the edge of the platform, only to land on his face in the grass six feet below.
Good thing they cleaned up to doggy poo first, huh?

Her grin became larger. "I asked him that myself. He said, 'Self-preservation Lois, self-preservation. You gotta think of the big picture. A thing like that gets out and how am I gonna eat?'"
laugh

As they were walking to the elevator Lois looked at Clark. She smiled as she realized she was looking forward to Clark asking her on a date. Maybe at his favorite Chinese restaurant.
In China? Maybe back home is a bit more comfortable.

Fun one!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard