The letter and Wandamae's thoughts are here in Part 1

Clark exited the elevator into the newsroom with a spring in his step.

This past week went from bad to worse to wonderful. Initially he felt useless after losing his powers to Lois. Then he was mugged and kidnapped as Clark, escaped and Superman fought the Newtrich sisters without his powers. Ultrawoman saved him, using a laser to give him back his powers. Two nights ago the week turned around after Lois proposed. Of course Clark accepted, after gently teasing her with his response.

Now he felt like he was walking on air, and had to keep checking to be sure his feet were firmly on the ground. Armed with coffee and pastries for Lois and himself, he started towards her desk. And was stopped by Jimmy.

“Hey, CK, there’s a courier with a package for you at your desk. Only you can sign for it. It’s marked ‘Private and Personal’.”

“Thanks Jimmy,” Clark said as he dropped Lois’s breakfast on her desk, and then headed for the courier at his desk.

Clark greeted the courier and signed for the package. He looked at it and saw it was from “W. Waldecker”. Looking around and seeing no one observing him, he lowered his glasses and secretly scanned it. Seeing no danger, he opened it. On top was a manila envelope labeled, “Open Me First” and “Personal.”

After opening it, he looked thoughtful and then smiled as he read through the letter twice at human speed, savoring its content.

Lois arrived and asked what was in the package. He handed her the letter, saying, “See what you think.”

While Lois read the letter, Clark looked through the rest of the package. He found an envelope marked “To the Editor” and 2 signed copies of Wandamae’s novel.

Lois finished reading and turned to Clark saying, “Wow! Clark, did you have idea what your article did?”

“No, Lois. It was news to me.”

“What’s that about her and our conversation at the Happy Hollow Rest Home?”

Clark looked sheepish, looked around, and when he saw no one was paying any attention, he whispered, “She saw me give Gretchen a hot foot. And I think this is her way of saying The Secret is safe.”

Lois grinned and whispered, “A hot foot? You did that? You’re going to have to tell me all the times you’ve done something like that. Not now, but when we’re alone. Gretchen was a witch, and if anyone deserved a hot foot she did. And I think you’re right about The Secret, but it wouldn’t hurt to subtly be sure when we talk to her in person. So what do you think about Wandamae’s thanks?”

He smiled and said, “You know, Lois, I did that investigation as Clark without using any super help. Especially this week, after being ordinary, it’s nice to be reminded that just ordinary Clark can still make a difference and change things.”

Lois replied, “Clark, you are never ordinary! You make a difference all the time with your words! Never doubt your impact as a writer! You’ve done that as long as I’ve known you. And this may be the best PR the Planet has had in years! A potential Best Selling Author credits one of its top reporters with saving her life. Well, actually both top reporters if you count me unlocking that cell. And how about all those other lives your article saved? Don’t ever forget how important you are! If you do, I’ll be happy to remind you! Come on partner, let’s see what Perry thinks about it.”

Once again Clark was amazed at how Lois spoke whole paragraphs without a breath. Maybe that was one of her superpowers. And her support warmed his heart.

Clark touched her arm and said, “Wait. Before we go in there, I want to know how you feel about Wandamae. Do you want to talk to her at all?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, she’s completed a novel. Does that upset you? I know you started at least one, and I just think we should decide how we want to handle this before approaching Perry.”

“Oh.” Lois stopped, took a deep breath and then looked thoughtfully at her ring.

After several moments, she responded. “Okay. You know I’m not always one to check the water level. In this case, I agree with you; we should be together on this. So here’s what I think. I’m engaged to the man I love and have a career I love. And I'm so happy I’m not sure there’s any room for bitterness or resentment. Maybe last week I would have been upset or hurt, feeling like I failed to finish my novels. And maybe next week I’ll feel differently. But I know now they were mostly therapy for the pain and loneliness in my life. The truth is, it’s possible no one else will ever read them. And I’m okay with that. This week though, after Ultrawoman saw enough pain and suffering to last a lifetime, it’s different. I can’t begrudge Wandamae her success. Now if she were up for a Pulitzer in investigative journalism, I might feel differently…” Lois grinned and Clark chuckled.

She then quietly continued, “As long as I have you. And together we can handle Wandamae… or anyone else.”

“You do. My love for you is forever.”

With tears in her eyes, Lois gave him a quick kiss and said “And I love you forever.”

After a moment she asked, “Are you okay with talking to Wandamae?”

“Yes, but I’d like to do it in a private place rather than a crowded restaurant. I just don’t know how she’ll react with her previous illness, and think a private setting is safer. I wouldn’t want her to make a scene in a public place. Maybe I could cook lunch or dinner at one of our apartments?”

“My apartment. Her brother has been there, and there’s nothing to hide except my novel and notes. And I won’t give them access to my laptop.”

Smiling, Clark replied, “Sounds like a good plan, Lois.”

Lois then turned towards Perry’s office.

Clark folded Wandamae’s letter to him and put it securely in his inside jacket pocket. Then he picked up the letter to the editor, one of Wandamae’s books and followed Lois.

Comments Post

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly