Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
The story can be found here. Comments go here. grovel

I'll post once a week until it's done. smile

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Kerth
Kerth
Squeeeeee! New Sue fic! party

Awwww, your kind words made me blush. blush Thanks. smile

I love this story - I love how Lois and Clark really talk in this story. If Lucy had stuck around, or if Lois had a solid girl friend to talk through Lex's proposal with, I think the conversation might have gone just like this - an admission that there are things that she genuinely likes about him, but that she's not really in love with him. And a best friend is the person that can poke and prod you, rip through justifications, and make you honestly analyze decisions you're making in your life. For Lois, that person is Clark.

But what a position for him to be in! He can't be honest with her about his feelings, it's tearing him up to have to listen and be that friend for Lois, he has to make sure he's not speaking just out of jealousy, he has to respect her enough to also respect her decision....aaarrrggghhh! sick It's a testament to his character that Clark is there for her through it all anyway, despite his feelings. I hope he knows that patience is a virtue, that she might work through her emotions and really see the man she has overlooked all along.

Lois sat up straighter in indignation. "Successful marriages have been based on a lot less!"

Clark shook his head. "Successful marriages are based on a lot more."
Truer words have never been written! thumbsup

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh, oh, oh! A new Sue story! I came to checks the mbs not expecting to find anything new... And there was this treat waiting! Yay!

I'm On vacation, on a crappy connection on the phone but I promise real fdk as soon as I'm back home in a couple of days. By then I'm sure I'll have reread this a serious number of times... Smells like a new personnal favorite, so please don't keep us hanging for too long!

Yay! Sue is back!

Cris
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yaaay! Sue is back!!! *insert cheerleading emoticon here*
Just one question: is there gonna be a nFanfic version of this? I ask because I still get a bit lost among all these acronyms (for instance, what "WAFF" exactly stands for?) and... Because I know Sue wink

Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Okay count me in. I'll be along for the ride. I like the concept of this story. Clark is going to have to do a lot of fancy footwork to keep Lois from guessing the depth of his feelings for the time being. (But he did learn to dance from a princess 😉). I thought Lois would be more adamant about Lex splitting the team up, but she is just too shocked and surprised right now. I look forward to seeing her start to miss her time spent with Clark. It might just be a catalyst to make her face her own feelings. Keep it coming. 😀 Sarah

Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Ahhhh, there's nothing quite like settling in to read some lovely feedback! laugh

groobie - Kind words? Oh, honey, you should have seen the first draft of my acknowledgements. I figured I'd better tone it down or you might figure out that I'm more than a little dazzled by how generous you are with your time and considerable talent. Uh, I mean, I didn't want to embarrass you with how effusive it was. blush

But what a position for him to be in! He can't be honest with her about his feelings, it's tearing him up to have to listen and be that friend for Lois, he has to make sure he's not speaking just out of jealousy, he has to respect her enough to also respect her decision....aaarrrggghhh!
He did say he'd do anything for her, and he truly means it. Anything she wants or needs, he'll do it, even if it means giving up his own chance at happiness. <sniffle>

Cristina - A new personal fave? Squee! And we're just getting started! In a couple more parts all the groundwork will be laid and we can really get into it. clap Thank you!

HiddenMoon - Thanks for the vote of confidence! WAFF is an acronym for "warm and fuzzy feelings." wink So, basically, I plan to have the characters wallow in schmoop. There isn't an nfic version, sorry. tired

Sarah - Yay! Thanks for coming along for the ride! I promise Clark is going to do some extremely fancy footwork before the story is over.
I look forward to seeing her start to miss her time spent with Clark. It might just be a catalyst to make her face her own feelings.
Yeah, absence just might make the heart grow fonder. wink

Thank you, ladies! sloppy

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Ides of Metropolis
N
Features Writer
Features Writer
N
Ooh yay, a new Sue fic! smile

Loving this first part.

Originally Posted by Sue S.
"Anything. Everything. Whatever she wants, or needs, I'd do it. Her happiness matters more than my own."
This bit is just so perfectly Clark.

Eagerly awaiting the next installment smile

Feli

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful start, I love that your Lex is smart enough not to waste talent.
Having Clark traveling is great, perhaps he can even use Clark to expose Intergang in other cities.

Framework4
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Sue! [Linked Image] That’s a cute surprise!
PG/PG13ish (mild swearing/intense longing)
LOIS: …and then the Kryptonian prince drifted up the tower to the window where Wanda was waiting for him, her body burning with the heat of a red sun for the moment when she would once again hold him in her arms…Dammit, I must stop getting distracted like that! Let’s see… Wanda put out her cigarette on the dresser top, not caring that she burned another mark into the worn surface. It didn’t matter and anyway, the dresser belonged to Clark — in fact, the entire club did — and once Anton showed up tonight, she would be out of here. Permanently. Then Clark could try and look for another way to get a win, because she sure was out of the business!

[Linked Image] I think the rating kind of got away from me there. Soooo-ry!

That's not the only liberty I'm going to take with the BatP/HoL arc, but I'm sure you'll easily spot the others.
LEX: What do you mean, ‘Nigel shoots me dead right after I propose to Lois Lane’?

so this is going to be rather short on plot,
LEX: [Linked Image]

There's basically nothing but fluff and WAFF and UST ahead.
LOIS: hyper
CAT: razz I much rather have lots of RST instead.

Part 1/12
eek 12 parts of fluff! How can one manage! thud
wink

Lois Lane was lost in thought as she poured a cup of coffee. She very nearly overfilled the mug in her distracted state, but stopped at the last second.
See? That’s why Nestle invented the Nespresso system.
PERRY: Nonsense. One must be able to use newspaper coffee as newspaper ink in a bind.

Not for the first time, she envied Clark's apparent ability to eat anything he wanted without gaining weight.
Metabolism extraordinaire! It can be yours, for just 1.21GW of electrical power!

Unfortunately, the possibility of being unemployed was becoming more and more likely.
I’m sure she’d find work.
SPENCER SPENCER: [Linked Image] There’s always room at the center of my magazine.

The only person in the world that she felt even remotely comfortable talking to about something this personal and momentous was Clark.
What about her mother?
LOIS: [Linked Image]

"Well, it's not the kind of thing that you just blurt out. It takes delicacy--"

"Ah, then you're in a lot of trouble there."
rotflol

"I enjoy being with him,"
Translation: He lets her win.
CLARK: sick

"He's very charismatic and… I mean, I'd be crazy to turn him down, wouldn't I?"
JAPANESE TWINS: [Linked Image]

"Because he's rich. He's handsome. He's Lex Luthor, for god's sake."
Sound like very compelling reasons.
MINDY: [Linked Image]

Lois sat up straighter as his words struck a nerve. "Do you really think I'm that shallow?"
If the glass shoe fits?

"Look, do you want to go somewhere? Get a cup of coffee?"
Really? Asking her to go for a cup of coffee while she’s nursing a cup of coffee?

Lois lifted her still steaming mug and gave him a wry smile. "We just got coffee."
See?
CLARK: huh It always works when I ask the girls in the singles bar over on Third.
RALPH: No, I can confirm that it doesn’t work. At all.

"You're so quiet. Don't you want to hear all the gory details? Like how he asked me?"
Like, how he just sort of blurted it out while they were in bed?
CLARK: shock sick

But, you know, once you're on the plane, it's kind of hard to back out."
JAMES BOND: confused
MARSHAL JOHN KRUGER: [Linked Image]

Lex kept taking and making all these phone calls, buying this and selling that.
Really? Isn’t that like taking your date home and swiping Tinder the entire time while she drives?

And then he got off the phone and suddenly he's talking about how he hoped I'd spend the rest of my life with him. I didn't even believe him at first.
Maybe he just got bad news from the pilot about the plane going to crash in a couple of minutes?

That's when he got down on one knee and presented me with a ring. A big ring. God, that thing must be at least three carats."
And the emeralds around it! They practically glow!

As Clark stirred his coffee, he could feel the sugar dissolving with each swirl of the spoon. He wished his own emotions could be subsumed as rapidly -- that he could just wave his hand and it wouldn't hurt anymore that the woman he loved was in love with someone else.
Maybe if he found the right amount of red Kryptonite…?

"How did he take it?" Clark asked,
Well…she’s still alive for one thing. And she’s not locked up in some harem in the Swiss alps.

It's like he doesn't even know me if he thinks I'd accept that as an answer."
LEX: confused She’s talking like that matters. huh

"I don't want this to sound shallow, Clark, but his wealth is a factor. If I married Lex, I'd never have to worry about money again. With everything going on at the Planet right now, it's definitely a consideration."
MINDY: Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I’d do a man for a billion dollars. Hell, I’d do a man and his son for a billion dollars.

"I think you need to seriously consider what kind of a man he is, and if he's the type of person you want to spend the rest of your life with. His money might make some things possible, but it's never going to buy you happiness."
But it would be enough to hire, for instance, Joe the Blow. Then she wouldn’t have to be married to him for the rest of her life. Only for the rest of his life.

Finally, he nodded. His voice was barely above a whisper as he said, "Yes."

"How did you know it was love? I mean, what did it feel like?"
Like someone was peeling his fingers and toes with a Kryptonite blade before sending his favorite toy back to his father in a box?

And the last thing he needed was an angry Lois, armed with the truth about Superman, and married to Lex Luthor.
LOIS: May I hit him? Please? Just a we little bit?

"Would you do anything for him?" Clark asked, meeting her eyes again.

"Like what?"
Birthday sex. Dig a bullet out of his shoulder. Wear a flimsy dress and pretend to be his concubine. Stuff like that.

Her eyebrows shot up in amusement. "Her happiness matters more than your own? That's not past tense! You're in love with someone right now! I can't believe you've been holding out on me. Who is she?"
A reporter I met in Metropolis.
LOIS: mad LINDAAAAAAA!

"As far as I know, Superman's not rich, so you can't say I'm shallow."
But he does have a rockin’ bod’. Or so they say.

"I know he's honest. And selfless. And he did say he was in love with me once. I mean, yeah, sure, he was drugged at the time, but that had to have been at least a little true."
Like when she said it to Clark the night before?
LOIS: That’s not…We…I…That’s not what we’re talking about right now.

"You don't see me mocking your sweet tooth, Ms. I-Have-A-Drawer-Full-Of-Chocolate."
It’s because he values breathing.

Clark shook his head emphatically. "There's no such thing as a free lunch."
clap

"Fine," Lois sniffed as Clark held the elevator door for her. "Just don't come crying to me later for relationship advice."
rotflol Yes, that would be helpful rotflol

a hulk of a man dressed all in black was standing to the side of Perry's desk. Luthor's bodyguard was easily seven feet tall, with arms so muscled that they were unable to hang straight at his sides.
[Linked Image]

We're going to begin a series concentrating on voices from outside Metropolis, covered exclusively by Mr. Kent here."
laugh

But he did feel oddly mollified by his first assignment.
He’ll make a wonderful Best Man.

"Owen will take Clark home to pack, and then to the airport.
OWEN: I don’t know how it happened, sir. One moment he was right next to me. The next, I sit down and there’s this squishing sound. You know, like when you sit down on a rat or something.

Don't wait until later! Say something now!
help ?

I'll post once a week until it's done.
Take seven…subtract one…add a week…erm…That’s going to be almost another week!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes! Sue S. is back!!! wave

Lois Lane was lost in thought as she poured a cup of coffee. She very nearly overfilled the mug in her distracted state, but stopped at the last second. As she took a sip to keep the contents from sloshing, she watched her partner dump an unseemly amount of sugar into his coffee. Not for the first time, she envied Clark's apparent ability to eat anything he wanted without gaining weight.

If Lois is distracted there is usually a very good reason for it. Urgh! Clark, three packets of sugar are more than enough! Why is it men can pretty much eat whatever they want and not pay the price for it? whinging

Lois hesitated again. She didn't have any close girlfriends, and lately Lucy was too flaky to be a true confidant. The only person in the world that she felt even remotely comfortable talking to about something this personal and momentous was Clark.

What a sad state of affairs, Lois should have at least one female confidante. Its a real pity Lucy hasn't grown up yet.

"I know I don't seem like the type of woman that this would happen to, but…" Lois paused for a deep breath before continuing, "I've never had anyone actually ask me to be his wife."

Clark's eyes went wide. "Luthor?"

Lois nodded. "Yes. Last night."

"And…" Clark leaned a little closer, and his voice had become hushed as he asked, "What did you say?"

"I told him that I'd have to think about it."

Of course there is more to the conversation, but for me, this sets the tone and texture of the story. Nicely written.

Luthor gestured at Lois, then swung his hand in a vaguely dismissive motion at Clark as he said, "The two of you have been a fairly productive team, but I think making you partners has sold you both short. Clark's strengths clearly lie in human interest pieces. We're going to begin a series concentrating on voices from outside Metropolis, covered exclusively by Mr. Kent here."

Voices from outside of Metropolis? on the surface it sounds like a great concept, but wouldn't it be better to start the series someplace closer to home? I guess Luthor wants Clark as far from Lois as possible. This way he knocks out another leg in her personal support system. Clever, without being ruthless - so far.

"Uh, well, I guess you'll need a ride to the airport--" she started to offer.

"It's already been taken care of, my dear." Luthor put his arm around Lois, insinuating himself neatly between the former partners. Luthor's hulk of a bodyguard moved to stand on the other side of Clark. "Owen will take Clark home to pack, and then to the airport. Besides, darling, we have a date tonight, remember?"

Lois blinked. "Oh… right."

Clark saw Perry's mouth narrow in anger at Owen's unspoken menace, but Lois still appeared dazed. Causing a scene wasn't going to accomplish anything, so Clark looked Lois in the eye and promised, "I'll call you later."

With Owen as Clark's shadow, why do I get the impression that he won't make it to the airport?

Brilliant beginning!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Woo hoo! More FDK! clap

Feli - Thank you! I see we share the same opinion of Clark's willingness to make Lois happy. smile The next installment will be up on Thursday, and each successive Thursday after that.

Framework4 - Lex was portrayed as pretty clever on the show, or at least, he usually had an ulterior motive (or two) for everything that he did. I'm trying to stay true to that portrayal. Thanks for stopping by. laugh

Michael - Hey, you! I was thrilled to see you pop up in the thread! And then I laughed, because you are, as always, full of wit and snark. And cute emojiis. You always come up with such fun emojiis. thumbsup I laughed hardest at the idea of the ring having "emeralds" circling the main stone (and why hasn't someone written that story?!?), and the list of "anything" that Lois should be willing to do for Lex:
Birthday sex. Dig a bullet out of his shoulder. Wear a flimsy dress and pretend to be his concubine. Stuff like that.
Switch the fiance to Clark and I'm pretty sure the answer would be 'yes' to all of it. Except maybe the birthday hanky panky. We never actually saw that one on the show, so it's pure conjecture whether she'd be game. whistle

I also laughed at the picture of the Mountain as a visual aid for Owen. That's pretty close! In my mind, Owen is clean-shaven, but the height and bulk (and no-nonsense attitude) are dead-on. laugh

Morgana - Yes! Morgana is back! wave
Why is it men can pretty much eat whatever they want and not pay the price for it?
Darn metabolism! It's beyond unfair.

What a sad state of affairs, Lois should have at least one female confidante. Its a real pity Lucy hasn't grown up yet.
Yes, but realizing Clark is her best friend and truest confidante is step one in recognizing that he could be a heck of lot more, too. wink

Voices from outside of Metropolis? on the surface it sounds like a great concept, but wouldn't it be better to start the series someplace closer to home? I guess Luthor wants Clark as far from Lois as possible. This way he knocks out another leg in her personal support system. Clever, without being ruthless - so far.
Yes! That is precisely what Lex is up to -- he's savvy enough to know that Clark isn't going to be encouraging Lois to accept his proposal, and to know that keeping Clark far away will leave Lois in a vulnerable place.

With Owen as Clark's shadow, why do I get the impression that he won't make it to the airport?
I promise, Clark makes it to the airport. Lex wants him out of the way, but he doesn't want him dead… yet. <heh>

Brilliant beginning!
Yeah? blush Thank you!!!

Thank you all for leaving comments! I'm very grateful! sloppy

Ides of Metropolis
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Hey, you! I was thrilled to see you pop up in the thread!
smile1

And cute emojiis. You always come up with such fun emojiis.
It’s all in the magic of http://cosgan.de/smilie.php?wahl=2&ziel=frech

I laughed hardest at the idea of the ring having "emeralds" circling the main stone (and why hasn't someone written that story?!?),
Umm…actually…/points at Dirty Pool and Tainted Love by Double L/ I wasn’t the one who had the idea first blush

Switch the fiance to Clark and I'm pretty sure the answer would be 'yes' to all of it.
Unfair!
NIGEL: If you are interested, sir, I can arrange for you getting shot.

We never actually saw that one on the show, so it's pure conjecture whether she'd be game. /says the innocent writer who would never have Lois engage in such acts/
Yes. Pure conjecture!
GOODE: Conjecture? You call those photoshops conjecture?

I also laughed at the picture of the Mountain as a visual aid for Owen. That's pretty close!
clap

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
SUE!!!!!!!!! clap hyper wave
Happy to see you back! And will wait impatiently for the rest... grumble

Isn’t that like taking your date home and swiping Tinder the entire time while she drives?
This made my night. Thanks Michael grin

"We're both barefoot, both flushed, and we both look guilty as hell. Clark has finger-combed his hair but I'm positive mine looks like I was just f… fished out of the river."

<3 this fic!
'The Next Step' By Sue S.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yay - another fic!

"I enjoy being with him," she answered slowly as her thumbnail continued to worry at a small dot of ink on the desk. It suddenly felt extremely difficult to put her feelings into words. "He's very charismatic and… I mean, I'd be crazy to turn him down, wouldn't I?"

Trust me, honey, when you have to ask if you would be crazy to turn him down, he's probably not the right guy for you. You want a guy that you *know* you would have to be crazy to turn down.

Somebody like Clark. smile

"He flew me to Milan for dinner." Lois rolled her eyes as if saying it out loud had made her realize just how ostentatious of a gesture that had been. "I didn't know that we were going to Italy. But, you know, once you're on the plane, it's kind of hard to back out."

Yep, creepy stalker vibe alert. It seems romantic now. But wait till he checks on where you're going, puts spyware on your phone, and reads all your mail. frown

"I think you need to seriously consider what kind of a man he is, and if he's the type of person you want to spend the rest of your life with. His money might make some things possible, but it's never going to buy you happiness."

Ah, Clark, that's good advice! Of course, in the words of Ella Fitzgerald (or maybe it was Billie Holiday), "I've been rich and I've been poor, and rich is better." smile

Clark's mouth opened and then closed in amazement. He hadn't been at all surprised by Luthor's transparent maneuvering to dissolve his partnership with Lois. But he did feel oddly mollified by his first assignment.

Why would he be mollified by this assignment? Because it's interviewing a kid? Because the assignment is in Florida? I am not sure what you meant by that.

Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
hyper Howdy! Howdy! Howdy! wave

Michael - I remember those stories by Double L, but I didn't remember the engagement ring having special K in it. huh Then again, it's been many moons since I read them and my memory for stories is considerably less than encyclopedic.

We never actually saw that one on the show, so it's pure conjecture whether she'd be game. /says the innocent writer who would never have Lois engage in such acts/
I would NEVER! You must be thinking of someone else. laugh

Lola - Hey! I promise I'm even happier to see you! Thanks for stopping in!

Iolan - And now you're here, too! What a wonderful night it's turning out to be!
Trust me, honey, when you have to ask if you would be crazy to turn him down, he's probably not the right guy for you. You want a guy that you *know* you would have to be crazy to turn down.

Somebody like Clark.

Not a bad suggestion, actually. And you're absolutely right. You do want someone you know you'd be crazy to turn down.
Yep, creepy stalker vibe alert. It seems romantic now. But wait till he checks on where you're going, puts spyware on your phone, and reads all your mail.

Good thing Lex isn't the type to become a stalker then, isn't it? whistle

"I've been rich and I've been poor, and rich is better."

Whoever it was, they seem to know what they're talking about. I'd rather be rich and miserable than poor and miserable. Or rich and happy versus poor and happy. Or… laugh

Why would he be mollified by this assignment? Because it's interviewing a kid? Because the assignment is in Florida? I am not sure what you meant by that.

wallbashIn my fevered brain it was implied that it was an impossible interview to get, but I can see why you'd be confused. I'll reword it for the final version to make it more clear that Lex delivered an interview that Clark had been eager to do.

Thank you to everyone who's commented! sloppy

Ides of Metropolis
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey Sue wave...

Well, you have me hooked (as usual wink ) right from the start, totally putty in your hands, dying to read more. Ah--oh wait, an advantage to being late: Part 2! Woo-boo! dance....yeeaaahhh--it's a pretty safe bet what I'll be doing later today smile.

Beyond excited about this story, and have been wanting to read it since I saw it post, but RL (ie--kindergarten starting this week for my daughter/first kid in school/parent denial and utter school cluelessness grin ) have kept me away till now.

I love where you are going with this story. Having a legit conversation about the proposal--not how it just blurted into a fact on the show. Clark walking that line--of being The Best Friend...and knowing that as much as it hurts to be there for Lois (and how insanely frustrating it is: wallbash -- Our Poor Clark ) he has to be the person. And lastly, by (maybe--totally my guess laugh ) potentially giving Lois time to miss Clark, but because of real work reasons (travel) instead of personal issues (the fighting in the series the proposal instigates).

Speaking of Clark and travel...I have got to give you a couple of these: notworthy hail notworthy hail . What a sneaky way for Lex to pry the two of them apart! Dissolve the partnership to quote-on-quote work to each of their strengths...give Clark THE story, the type of story he'd love to report. Love it!

I must go and pick up a very Big Girl kindergartener from school. dizzy Where-oh-where does the time go? I guess what they say IS true: Kids grow up way too fast mecry.

Laura (who wrote every bit of this on her iPhone so that the four year old--who thankfully is still a Little Boy--could have some 'iPad Time!!!' wink ). One still planted squarely into the nest at home...sighing in relief laugh.

Last edited by LMA; 08/27/15 07:54 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey there. So happy to see a new story from you when I wandered in here today.

Most of my favorite parts have already been quoted, but I also loved the "real" conversation they had about Lois' proposal. Of course, given their communication issues on the show, this was totally out of character. wink

I especially liked Lois' answer to Clark's question:

"Do you love him?"

Lois gave another shrug and picked at the edge of her desk with her thumbnail. She'd expected this question, but Clark's expression seemed a lot more solemn than she had imagined it would be. In fact, his gaze was so intense that Lois had to look away.

So real. We don't need Clark's thoughts here. His expression tells us everything we need to know. It tells Lois, too. I'm sure she'll remember this look later when everything is falling apart.

I also loved that the conversation already has Lois rethinking Luthor's motives.

"That was the weird part. I told him that I didn't really know him, and he said all I needed to know was that he loved me." Lois leaned forward and dropped her voice. "Honestly, that kind of bothered me. It's like he doesn't even know me if he thinks I'd accept that as an answer."

Good for Lois. Clark's emotional availability is paying off here. Lois is acting like her usual, questioning self.

Also, this...

Lois sat up straighter in indignation. "Successful marriages have been based on a lot less!"

Clark shook his head. "Successful marriages are based on a lot more."

And here we have one of the fundamental differences in Lois and Clark's characters - how their parental influences affected their outlooks on marriage. Clark see's Martha and Jonathan in a respectful, friendly, trusting, loving relationship and can't see a marriage working any other way. Lois didn't get that and so she can't see those qualities as a "real" motivation for marriage.

I love how Lois somehow got a confession of love from Clark without even trying. That was a funny exchange. I'm wondering if Clark will eventually fess up or if Lois is going to put all the clues together. Can't wait to find out.

I was with Morgana on my suspicions of Lex and the muscle letting Clark make it to his prime interview appointment. So glad to have the reassurance that Clark is not on Luthor's hit list ... yet.

I'm also with LMA. I found the story late, so yay, me. I get to go straight to part 2.

Woot!

Features Writer
Features Writer
What a great premise! To see Clark and Lois actually communicating in this episode is delightful.

Lex breaking up their partnership by sending Clark to Miami is so sneaky, and well just so Lex! Separating Lois and Clark isn't enough, he has to control Clark's trip to the airport too. I just hope Owen doesn't travel all the way to Miami, or send Clark elsewhere. Clark's self-control here is amazing. Most adults would chafe at being treated like a child, let alone the silent threat by the giant Owen.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Huzzah! More feedback! hyper

Laura - Putty in my hands, eh? <looks over at the growing pile of laundry> wink I suppose, though, with small children you already have limited time on your hands. smile
I love where you are going with this story. Having a legit conversation about the proposal--not how it just blurted into a fact on the show.

That has irritated me all these years. I've always wondered what might have happened if they had talked about it instead of having it blurted out.

Clark walking that line--of being The Best Friend...and knowing that as much as it hurts to be there for Lois (and how insanely frustrating it is: -- Our Poor Clark ) he has to be the person.

Yeah, and the little piece of me that likes to imagine Clark yearning for Lois couldn't resist having him be her sounding board. Truthfully, though, I think it's exactly what we were given on the show. By the end of the first season she really did look upon him as a close friend, and she also was starting to recognize the attraction between them.

What a sneaky way for Lex to pry the two of them apart! Dissolve the partnership to quote-on-quote work to each of their strengths...give Clark THE story, the type of story he'd love to report. Love it!

Thanks! I figured Lex is exactly that conniving.

Brenda - Hey, stranger! How wonderful to have you here! hyper I've missed you!
Of course, given their communication issues on the show, this was totally out of character.

rotflol lol rotflol

I also loved that the conversation already has Lois rethinking Luthor's motives.

I hated how, on the show, she just blindly accepted that Lex couldn't possibly be up to anything. Sure, you don't want to think your almost-fiance is a sociopath, but someone with Lois' supposed instincts should have at least questioned if Clark might possibly be on to something. In the end, I have her waffle back and forth for a bit, just because I think that would be human nature to not want to believe it.

And here we have one of the fundamental differences in Lois and Clark's characters - how their parental influences affected their outlooks on marriage. Clark see's Martha and Jonathan in a respectful, friendly, trusting, loving relationship and can't see a marriage working any other way. Lois didn't get that and so she can't see those qualities as a "real" motivation for marriage.

I'd say it's more like she doesn't automatically go there, but she certainly realizes deep down that friendship is the key to any kind of marriage. Or it should be. She was on the defensive when she was arguing with Clark about it. wink

I love how Lois somehow got a confession of love from Clark without even trying. That was a funny exchange.

Thanks! She wasn't really trying -- she meant that to be an illustrative question for herself, not for Clark. Now that she knows, though, it's going to drive her crazy until she can get him to talk.

I was with Morgana on my suspicions of Lex and the muscle letting Clark make it to his prime interview appointment. So glad to have the reassurance that Clark is not on Luthor's hit list ... yet.

Lex is much too smooth and subtle to kill him outright. eek

cuidadora - Hi! wave I'm so glad you're enjoying the story.
I just hope Owen doesn't travel all the way to Miami, or send Clark elsewhere. Clark's self-control here is amazing. Most adults would chafe at being treated like a child, let alone the silent threat by the giant Owen.

Nope, Owen only makes sure Clark gets on the plane (and probably waited to see it take off). It would be extremely frustrating to be treated like a child, but Clark has the comfort of knowing that he can zoom back to Metropolis in just a few minutes.

Thank you for the comments! My thanks to everyone who's chimed in so far. sloppy

Ides of Metropolis
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm late to the party, but oh, so happy to find this! I absolutely loved this conversation. Clark is being a wise friend, much more mature than we ever saw on the show, at least in the first season. And Lex has been too clever for his own good; splitting up Lois and Clark may be designed to make her easier pickings, but I have a feeling it's going to make her heart grow fonder instead. For the record, I got why Clark was mollified by the assignment, but of course it never hurts to make it more explicit. Now I just have to decide whether to catch up now or wait another month so I can read the whole thing at once (yeah, like that would ever happen). Looking forward to the rest! hyper

This *is* my happily ever after.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard