Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi all,

I am teaching an Introduction to Information to Security course, and I would love to slip in the L&C "Rosebud" scene from The Rival as an illustration of how seemingly inconsequential data can be used to gain unauthorized access. (I've already used the Enterprise self-destruct scene from ST: TOS to illustration separation of duties.) The problem is, I can't find the clip online. I could just discuss the scene, but I would really prefer to show it, if possible.

I don't have either the time or the software necessary to make a video-clip from my DVD. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I could get the scene? (I don't want to pay for online access to the entire show to display a few-second clip. My use of the clip would not violate any rights, since it should be considered Fair Use.)

Thanks,
Lynn

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I decided, as a fallback option, to add the following lines from the script to a presentation:

LOIS: This must be it. But we need a password to get into it
CLARK: Try Kane. K-A-N-E. Linda says he's got a Citizen Kane fixation.
LOIS: No kidding. (Types at keyboard) Nope. Let's see . How about...
LOIS and CLARK simultaneously: Rosebud?
LOIS: (Lois types some more.) Great minds think alike. We're in.

But I would really prefer to show a clip of these lines. (They're a lot more interesting when they are professionally acted than when I read them aloud.) If anyone has the setup necessary to make a videoclip with these lines, I would be very grateful. And who knows? We might be able to swell the FoLC ranks with the clip.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
There's also the scene where Eugene Ladderman is trying to break the code for the Ides of Metropolis. And he breaks Lois' password of Superman, telling her it wasn't difficult to figure out.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Top Banana
Top Banana
I can chop up the episode and save that little bit for you. How much of a scene to you want? The Rosebud section is pretty short and it also starts very abruptly, after a short section of Linda with Carpenter. If you want to set the scene more, and draw everyone in better, then I can go back further. Before that is the amusing scene of Clark hiding on the ceiling but saying he hid behind the thin plant.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
DC, Thanks for the suggestion. I only need one scene, though, and I think the "Rosebud" scene would work better for the class.

Victoria, thank you so much!!! As much as I enjoy the show and would love to share more of it with my class, I can really only justify spending class time on the section with the dialog I quoted above. I'm actually delighted that I'll be able to use even this much of this scene. It's the first time I've found a way of working my favourite show into my computer classes. And I must admit that I will be having the class view the clip critically; i.e., we will not only be discussing how Hollywood got it right that seemingly inconsequential knowledge can be used to compromise security (and that a depressing number of people base their passwords on the things that everyone who reads their Facebook accounts knows they love), but also about what they did wrong: Hackers generally don't try to break in by typing password guesses at the keyboard, and hacking into a system generally takes *far* longer than depicted in the clip.

But although we will be dissecting that few second clip from an info-sec perspective, I hope those few seconds also give the students a feel that Clark Kent does not necessarily fit the stereotype.

Thanks again so much -- your help will definitely make the class more interesting. I'll PM you my e-mail address.

Joy,
Lynn

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thank you, Vic! The video you made will work perfectly in my class. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard