Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Who says I can't write a chapter with some hope and happiness? smile

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Another wonderful part. Things are appearing more hopeful for all involved.

and he wishes, just once, there would be people wanting him instead of needing him
That line just bowled me over. There have been times in my life that I could really relate to that. When my son's autism was most severe, he did nothing to acknowledge my (or anyone elses's) existence. (No eye contact or even looking in my direction. If I rubbed his back, his muscles wouldn't even get tenser or looser. If I clapped my hands an inch in front of his nose, he wouldn't even blink. He was a total zombie. Fortunately, he is *much* more interactive now.) My entire life was spent either at work or taking care of my son. I was very needed but didn't seem at all wanted. I was my roles (Dr. M. and Mom) and had zero time to be simply Lynn. I never could have put my feelings as succinctly as you did Clark's, but you hit it right on the head. (Incidentally, joining this list was my turning point. I had finally been able to carve out a little time to do something just as myself, not as a role I was in. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy being both Mom and Dr. M., but I did need to be simply Lynn sometimes.)

That was quite a speech
I agree with James. And I'm delighted to see that Clark is giving it some serious contemplation; I hope he not only takes it to heart, but also acts on it. The cookies with friends is a good start.

Eagerly awaiting the next part.

Joy,
Lynn

Last edited by Lynn S. M.; 08/18/15 06:52 AM. Reason: elaborated on my response to the first quote
R
RJS Offline
Blogger
Blogger
R
The sincerity of the two-faced woman. After stabbing you in the back one day and taking away your life, a short time later she can make a passionate speech about how you deserve a private life. Darn that general public and the news media for not letting you have it! smile
And James turns back into Jimmy and becomes putty in her hands once again.
When is she going to take over and do Jimmy's job better than he's doing it?

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I love the parallels from the beginning. From Clark not being able to touch anyone out of fear of breaking them with his shaking hands to cradling the paper thin hand of his father. He's only thinking of how his father taught him control and how to be careful, but it was the gift of hope, in the form of Lois, who healed his shaking.

Yes. Lois is absolutely correct that Superman needs some time off as Clark Kent to regroup and be able to be Superman again. And since Superman isn't talking to anyone, I find it interesting that he asks her how he should respond to people questioning him taking time for himself. He isn't responding to them anyway, even if he does hear their questions. He may not be human but nor is he a robot. In this way, Clark is an introvert. He needs time to himself, to be his true (CK) self, to have the (emotional) strength to be Superman.

I like what Lois says about Superman being an example for others:
You tell them you help us because you believe there’s a hero in each of us and we can all do the same. You tell them that you are inspired by them and that if you are not there, then you trust everyone else to help out. You tell them that maybe they made you into a symbol, but you’re a person too.
No wonder she's such a temptation for Clark NOT to be Superman. How can he resist such sweet words?

I'm glad Lois caught sight of him (I like the allusion to Lois hearing HIS heartbeat), so that he couldn't slink back into the night like that Bat from Gotham. Everyone needs cookies and time with friends. smile

I'm still waiting for you to drop the other boot.

Originally Posted by Anti-K
I don't know that I could ever do a romantic comedy -- though I thank you for the vote of confidence! smile -- because comedy is HARD.
Is it? Sometimes I think drama is the harder of the two because of the emotional toll is takes on the writer. You write good funny banter, and I know you can do romance. Perhaps you could start with another WAFFy romance and work your way up to rom-com. We, readers, aren't too picky. wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
LOVED this:
“You tell them that you are a gift to this world and that whatever you can do is more than enough. You tell them you help us because you believe there’s a hero in each of us and we can all do the same. You tell them that you are inspired by them and that if you are not there, then you trust everyone else to help out. You tell them that maybe they made you into a symbol, but you’re a person too. You tell them that it’s not only regular people who need saved and even heroes need time to themselves to remember why they’re doing what they do.”

Just because Clark has these powers, doesn't mean he has to use them all the time. He has needs just like anyone else. That's why we love Clark - because even though he's an alien, emotionally his needs are the same as ours. People don't expect doctors to save lives 24/7. They work miracles but they're allowed to have lives.

I hope this spark of hope gets some kindling feed to it smile.

Joan

Kerth
Kerth
He never thought he could feel so truly like Clark Kent again, never thought he wouldn’t be able to hear the cries of his new name long enough to find a spark of happiness amid his determined contentment. And yet it happens.

And if something this impossible can become possible, then maybe…maybe the rest of what Lois said can happen too. Maybe there is more hope than he’s ever allowed himself to realize before. Maybe he really can live again.

This is the turning point that Clark needed to reach - to understand that he is more than Superman, that Clark Kent is important, too. Even though he's so far from either Smallville or Metropolis, he can play games with friends and feel like he's home, because home is wherever you feel loved. That taking time to be Clark is not selfish, it's necessary.

Hope and temptation and impossibility and a siren luring him onto things that can never be his (and he will not survive being dashed against the sharp rocks, not again, not when he is still so scarred and trembling from the last time).
Clark starts to have hope, starts to feel like maybe he can have more. But hope is a dangerous thing, and knowing what he has been through, you can hardly blame him for wanting to cast it aside. frown

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
So Lois NOW thinks Clark is worthy of a life,now that he has none.She did not have to love him to respect what he was trying to do and understand exposure could have dire consequences.
That Clark still wants this short sighted, self absorbed woman in his life is incredibly sad and frankly, a little creepy.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
His dad squeezes his hand, an almost negligible pressure that sparks the birth of a wide smile on Clark’s face.

<sniffle>

She hates being on a different floor than Jonathan, hates not being able to get out of bed and take care of her husband and son and James.

Yup. She must be crawling the walls.

“How are you doing?”

Yup, she's a mom. smile

Also, I think I’ve managed to finally corrupt the night nurse well enough to sneak me in some paper and pencils.

Hehehe!

“I’m starting to think you’re something of an overachiever, Mom.”

Well, she *did* raise a superhero!

inevitable trust he will have to show to some hospital somewhere

Too bad Dr. Klein's more of a labrat than anything.

always somehow just what he needs) Lois might give him.

Perfectly reasonable. He needs strength no matter where it's coming from.

He feels like casting off Superman and stepping into Clark Kent.

He feels like being selfish.

Good, Clark. You need to recharge, especially mentally.

He let her come because he wanted to say goodbye to that time of his life. To shut the door on it and realize, for once and for all, just how irrevocably changed everything was, and thus, resign himself fully to the life now before him.

mecry

Superman has a reason for being here, a reason for continuing, and Clark does not

Oh, Clark. How easily you forget how much the people who love you need Clark and could do without Superman.

And so Clark does, because as hard as it is to turn away from cries for Superman, it is impossible to ignore this solitary cry for Clark Kent.

whinging

and that is enough to make him eat it even if it were burned and salty and out of date.

In other words: made by Lois.

Now that we have a clean table, we can play some poker.

Love the throwback to the little "after work" poker game in the series. Good thing Perry's not there. wink

“I might even give a better showing at this poker game since Perry isn’t around to cheat.”

Hey! That's what I said! wink

“If I’m not saving people all the time…if I take time off…how do I justify that? What do I tell them when they ask me why I wasn’t there?”

The question I'm sure every Clark in every universe has asked himself at some point.

To be Clark Kent. To not be Superman all the time.

Light bulbs turning on for you there, Clark? Finally?

Maybe he really can live again.

Annnnnd I feel like I can (maybe) breathe a little easier.

As always, I'm sitting her at the edge of my seat while reading, devouring your story so fast I have to stop and reread things because I've flown through it. Wonderful and I look forward to more!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Hey, everyone, I'm on vacation now and only have internet for a bit, so I don't have time to reply to everyone individually, but I just wanted to let you know how much it means to me that you're continuing to read the story and leave feedback! So glad you're all enjoying - or at least thinking about it -- and hope you continue to do so! I'll try to leave more specific replies when I get back home, but until then, thank you so much!

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Beautiful chapter, Anti-K clap clap clap...

The scenes with Clark's parents were written so delicately, so warmly. You could feel in the writing how fragile life is at the hospital. With their health, but also, with the situation notworthy.

I really enjoyed Clark's perspective in this section. Getting into his head a little bit. Thankfully, it seems like Clark is starting to do better. He's starting to sort of 'wake up' to what his situation has been, realize what he wants--if even still unlikely in his mind, and see that maybe he still CAN be himself.

Hope...it's such a necessity. He has to have hope. But--like Groobie pointed out--hope can be dashed. Dreams can be crushed. Your reality isn't always what you want it to be.

This chapter felt great to read. I am so (however cautiously wink ) optimistic that things will keep heading in the right direction grovel grovel grovel.

Heading to Chapter 17 to find out a bit more wave
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 08/26/15 05:32 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard