Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#265326 08/08/15 03:42 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Could someone explain this to me?

For some reason my FireFox browser wouldn't open (I had to reboot my computer to get it to switch on), but I could get on the Internet using Internet Explorer, which I never use anymore. After finally logging on to the boards, I went to respond to FDK and each time I went to a new screen I would be logged out again.

So, Log-In screen. Logged in.

Went to Active Topics, still logged in.

Click on ANY of the active topics, logged out.

(repeat)

Is this something that only happens on IE? Or did my computer get dementia and needed me to do that reboot to get the Internet (and thus the boards) to function properly? This is outside of my computer knowledge.

Also, it could be the Fates telling me I need more sleep and that I should really go to bed. Any answers would be appreciated. Oh, and I speak as much computereeze as Lois, not Jimmy. Thanks. smile

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
My guess? Your IE has been set to reject all cookies. If this is the problem, your solution might be as follows:
- Open Internet Explorer.
Click on the cog icon in the upper right-hand corner of the window and choose "Internet Options" from the menu that opens.
- Click on the "Privacy" tab.
- Click "Advanced"
- Make sure that your browser accepts first-party cookies and that there is a check in the box beside "Always allow session cookies."
- Click "OK" to apply the changes and close the Settings dialog box.

I hope this solves your problem.

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
IE does that to me sometimes. I log in, click on a link, and it logs me out. However, if I click on the nfic section and re-login from there, it seems to work.

Note: I have a lot of trouble with IE, not just here, but at other sites, too. It's always freezing and restarting. Google Chrome tends to work a lot better.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Lynn. I'll try that. I don't use IE anymore, except under protest, as in last night. I keep trying to make my computer faster by optimizing it and removing cookies. Perhaps the best way, would be find a cord and plug in my wireless keyboard. (It's so annoying to type faster than my computer can read and have to wait for the elf inside my computer to type out the words as if I'm giving her dictation.)

Ah, Annie, so it's not just my computer with dementia. wink I've never liked Google Chrome. Someone on the boards recommended FireFox and I have NEVER (willingly) looked back. smile

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
(It's so annoying to type faster than my computer can read and have to wait for the elf inside my computer to type out the words as if I'm giving her dictation.)
I guess you know how Clark feels, then. wink

Good luck.

Joy,
Lynn

Features Writer
Features Writer
There was an upgrade to Firefox last week. I haven't had any problems on Windows 7, but it could be contributing to your issues. There's a setting In Firefox to have you notified before updates are installed. Tools --> Options --> Advanced (left sidebar) --> Update (tab at top of screen below URL) --> Firefox Updates: --> Check for updates, but let me choose whether to install them (Radio button to check).

I switched to this option a couple of years ago after having problems with Firefox installations on an even older version of Windows. Using your favorite search engine you can check to see if there are problems with the installation reported before upgrading. Firefox sends reminders multiple times, unless you request it not to, so not upgrading when the popup first appears (and sometimes disappears before I can read it) has not been an issue.

I gave up on IE several years ago when it kept loading a different homepage than what I had specified, and loaded slower than Firefox. Also I was using apps not available on IE.

I have a wireless keyboard and have the same issues with typing faster than it can handle, so I'm not sure the wireless keyboard will help.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Kerth
Kerth
That one gave me a problem on another site - I suddenly couldn't log in at all. It turned out to be a weird interaction between the new version of Firefox, the speed-dial add on I was using (FVD Speed Dial, which I'm no longer using - that wasn't the first time it caused problems), and that one site.

I don't think anyone really trusts Internet Explorer these days, including Microsoft, who are apparently looking at phasing it out in favour of something that isn't full of outmoded code and security holes - the new one is called Spartan and will incorporate their Cortana AI as seen in recent smart phones, and I suspect that I will hate it...

http://microsoft-news.com/confirmed-microsoft-is-phasing-out-the-internet-explorer-brand/

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
including Microsoft, who are apparently looking at phasing it out in favour of something that isn't full of outmoded code and security holes - the new one is called Spartan
Actually, "Spartan" had just been its code name. Its release name is "Edge." It comes with Windows 10. I've been using it for a bit more than a week now, and so far, it does seem more stable than IE, but it is a little early to tell.

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
Right, I forgot it was out with Windows 10.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard