House of Luthor - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

*Word* is for emphasis
<"word"> is thoughts
/*word*/ audiotape playback

Previously

Taking her hand to get her attention, Luthor said, "Lois, am I boring you?"

Lois realized what she was doing, obsessing over the investigation and wondering if they would be finished on time, but she couldn't say that to Luthor so thinking rapidly, she came up with an excuse he would accept, "What? No, of course not. I'm sorry. All I can think about is that enormous stack of RSVP's on my desk." She shrugged and added, "Minus a few."

"Who is missing?"

"Some of my old friends from the Planet."

In an apparent non-sequitur, Luthor said, "Propinquity."

Lois was caught off guard, "What?

Luthor chuckled and said, "I thought you knew words. Propinquity. A relationship based on convenience. You work in a particular place, shop in certain stores, become attached to the people that surround you. But, when you move on, the relationships end." He smiled an I-told-you-so smile and added, "That's what you have to do, Lois. Move on. It's not fair to you ... or to me. How about your family?"

"Lucy has been helping me plan so she'll be there. My dad is flying in. If my mom can stay sober long enough she'll be there as well."

Trying to placate her, Luthor proposed, "After the honeymoon, I promise you we'll heal all old wounds."

Lois was curious, she and Clark had their island getaway, but she wondered where Luthor planned to take her, if they were actually getting married, that is. It would be nice to know. If he told her she could mention it to Clark and maybe they could go, so she prodded, "You still won't tell me where we're going?"

In a teasing tone, Luthor replied, "No." he thought, <"If I told you, you would cancel the wedding and I can't have that.">

Lois asked, "Not even a hint?"

Luthor smirked and replied, "Clothing is optional."

Lois laughed, but not for the reason that Luthor assumed. Lois was laughing because that was how it was when she and Clark visited their island and she couldn't wait to get back there, with him. She was still investigating and thought that she might be able to catch him in an unguarded moment, "Lex ... when the Planet was destroyed, you lost quite a bit of money, didn't you?" The last time she had seen Clark he had told her about the insurance and she wanted to see just how far Lex would carry the deception.

He revealed just how far as he answered, "Yes, but I have wide shoulders and deep pockets."

Lois followed up with, "But, I mean it wasn't a total loss. There was insurance."

Lex continued to prevaricate, "Several policies. Unfortunately, not enough to justify reconstruction." Lois became apprehensive as he paused and asked, "Why the sudden concern?"

Lois had to come up with a good reason and thought that she had hit on one, "Because I can't help but feel that your buying the Planet in the first place had something to do with me."

She felt some relief and that she had hit on a good tactic as he replied, "It did. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I bought the Planet in a desperate, lovesick attempt to bring us closer together, to bring my life in tune with yours. Ironically, it wasn't necessary: here we are together. Our love was too strong. We were *meant* to be together."

Lois smiled a self-satisfied smile that was at least partly hidden by the dim lighting as he partly confirmed their hypothesis. She thought, <Let him live in his dream world. I must be putting on a good act if I have convinced him that I love him. Perhaps there is some wishful thinking in there.>

Clark was experiencing the most pain he had ever been felt in his entire life. Every time he moved from the exact geometrical center of the cage the pain only exacerbated, thus his body was curled into as small a figure as it could be. He was a circle of pain personified. Over the physical pain that he was experiencing and even more painful was the emotional pain of the fact that he had failed Lois. Every time he tried to make a move to escape he came close to passing out. He had to think. He had to get out of this cage because Lois needed him. He couldn't fail her. If anything happened to her he would die, but if he died the things that he dreaded would happen to her. With that thought all sensibility left him and he lay unconscious on the floor of the cage. Each time he woke from his stupor it was only to renewed intensity of the pain he was experiencing.

After dropping Lois off at her apartment, Luthor returned to the penthouse. The first thing he did was to cross to the cabinet that housed his surveillance gear. Opening the doors he turned the monitor on and hit the switch for the wine cellar. He smiled when he saw the obviously unconscious Superman curled up in the fetal position in the center. Satisfied that his prisoner wasn't going anywhere he closed the cabinet, crossed to his desk and called downstairs. "Mrs. Cox?" He paused to listen. "I'm sorry I woke you. Would you like to join me for a … night cap?"

After she replied he walked toward his bedroom and started to undress. Before he finished, Mrs. Cox, wearing a filmy negligee, entered and slipped beneath the covers of the bed.

As he joined her, physically, he sighed and said, "Ah, Mrs. Cox, everything goes according to plan."

Her reply was, "More. More."

Lex smiled and as he complied he said, "Gladly."

And now

Chapter 07

That evening, while Lex and Mrs. Cox were being intimate, Perry paid a visit to Franklin Stern. He had been surprised that he was able to schedule for so late an hour, but he was pleased at the outcome. The late hour would reduce the possibility of being observed by one of Luthor's minions.

As he was ushered into Mr. Stern's office, he was almost stunned by the opulence. The office was lavishly decorated in French provincial style. There were heavy curtains on the windows which reduced the amount of light in the room dramatically. On the desk was an old fashioned desk lamp with a green glass shade which provided what little artificial light there was in the room.

Franklin Stern, a very impressive looking African-American of large stature and short cut graying hair sat ensconced behind the desk in a high backed chair that because of its durable construction did not fit the rest of the décor. French provincial was somewhat delicate and a chair of that type would not long support the bulk of the owner.

As Perry entered, He addressed the resident, "Mr. Stern?"

Mr. Stern stood and stepped out from behind his desk. Holding forth his hand, he said in his deep, resonant and cultured voice, "Mr. White, thank you for coming in. Please sit down." as he indicated a chair in front of the desk.

As Perry was seating himself, he said, "Thank you for seeing me at this late hour."

After Perry was seated, Mr. Stern returned to his desk chair and after leaning back and getting comfortable, he said, "Perry, may I call you Perry?" he paused until Perry acknowledged with a nod, "I work a fourteen hour day, always have. If I show my face at home before eleven p.m. my wife calls the police." He smiled at Perry's acknowledgement and continued, "I'm sure you know what that's like."

Perry replied, "All too well."

They both smiled in acknowledgement of their common ethic.

Mr. Stern, commented, "Strange that we've never met. I'm very familiar with your work, of course."

Perry reposted, "As I am with yours."

Stern frowned and said, "I miss reading the Daily Planet. It has imitators, but no true successor. Metropolis has lost an asset."

Perry was pleased to hear this sentiment and replied, "Those of us who worked there were proud to call it home." He paused a second before he continued, "That's why I've come."

Mr. Franklin Stern hadn't made his money by beating about the bush, so he came straight to the point, "I didn't think you were here looking for a fourth for bridge."

Appreciating Mr. Stern's candid attitude, Perry lost no time in making his pitch, "Mr. Stern ... you own television and radio stations. And you have interests in book publishing. But, have you ever considered owning a newspaper?"

Mr. Stern gave Perry a quizzical look and said, with a sardonic tone, "Perry ... correct me if I'm wrong ... there *is* no newspaper."

Perry was prepared for this argument though. "The Daily Planet was more than concrete and girders. It was people and ideas and principles. Those still exist." He was waxing enthusiastic as he continued, "There *is* a newspaper. There just isn't a place to print it."

Perry had apparently grabbed Mr. Stern's attention because he leaned forward in his chair, out of his relaxed posture as he asked, "Even if that were true, why would *I* want to own the Daily Planet."

Perry was nothing if not a Planet man and his reply spoke volumes, "I can't imagine anyone wanting anything else."

Stern gave Perry's statement due consideration and then finally, with a shake of his head, leaned back and said, "I'm sorry, but my answer is no." He then tried to mollify Perry by saying, "I wish you luck, though, in finding some way to rebuild. If you do, you have my subscription."

Perry was crushed by his answer and as Mr. Stern came around the desk and offered his hand, Perry took it and shook it. As they were shaking hands, Perry muttered to himself, "I just hate to see Lex Luthor win."

That name grabbed Mr. Stern's attention and without releasing Perry's hand asked, in a rather sharp tone, "What's that?"

Perry was surprised at his interest and decided to give him some of the information, "Lex Luthor. We've gathered evidence that suggests he was behind the Planet's fall. I'd just like to see the expression on his face ... well, thanks again for seeing me." Perry didn't know how much good it would do, but he decided to play the cards as they had been dealt. The evident interest displayed at the mention of Luthor's name had given him the idea that there could be some form of rivalry and using that as a lever to generate interest was not below Perry. Perry decided to let Stern think about it so he broke the handshake and turning left the office.

The next morning, Luthor went to a cabinet in his office and after opening it, switched on the monitor. In the center of the screen was the image of Superman collapsed on the floor of the cage, curled up in a fetal position in an obvious attempt to stay as far away from the bars of the cage as he could manage. He muttered to himself, "I think he looks like he could stand some company. I think I'll pay him a visit." Closing the cabinet he moved into his bedroom and grabbed a couple of cummerbunds of different colors then picking up a key on the dresser he headed for the elevator.

After taking the elevator down he entered the wine cellar. After descending the steps, he crossed to and using the key opened the cage.

Stepping inside he stood over his fallen enemy for several minutes before he nudged Superman with the toe of his shoe. When he stirred, Superman looked up at Luthor. Luthor asked, "How are you feeling today?"

Superman tried to answer, but all that came out was a groan of pain.

With a sick sense of humor, Luthor asked, "Oh, still a little green around the gills?"

Pulling out a hand mirror, Luthor looked at himself, straightened his tie and preened. He was very proud of himself and expressed it, "How does it feel to know that the better man has won … that I have won. I, Lex Luthor have triumphed over the world's superhero, the so called man of steel. Right now you are more like a wet noodle."

Looking up as if addressing the heavens, Luthor said, "I, on the other hand, am feeling wonderful." He started to quote and as he did he added arm gestures as if he were on the stage, "'She's beautiful and therefore to be wooed. She is woman, therefore to be won.'" He resumed a normal stance and gave the reference, "'Henry the Fifth.'"

Superman made a weak grab for Luthor's ankle which Lex easily stepped away from.

Luthor could see the pain mirrored in his eyes and felt absolutely no pity, in fact he decided that he was going to rub salt into his wounds. "Tomorrow is the big day! The day that I make Lois Lane my wife. Yes, tomorrow the lovely Ms. Lane will become Mrs. Lex Luthor and tomorrow night she will grace my bed and there's nothing in the world that you or anyone else can do about it. I know this must be hard for you. Seeing me hale and hearty, while you can only lie here helplessly and suffer."

He struggled to raise himself and then weakly, Superman replied, "She'll … she'll … never submit …to … to … you." With his final word, he collapsed back to the floor.

Nudging Superman with his toe once more, Luthor said, "Losing interest so soon? You think that Lois will not submit to me? I beg to differ. I love Lois, but she's much too independent, don't you think? Well, leave that to me. The lovely Ms. Lane will have no choice other than to submit. I will have her in my power and she will never get away."

He knelt next to Superman and said, "I really came to ask your advice. I'm trying to decide what to wear in the ceremony." He held up a cummerbund in each hand and asked, "Should I wear the white or the red? Red for passion, or white for purity?"

Superman's only reply was a groan of pain.

Lex smiled and said, "Yes, I agree. I think you are right. Definitely the red it shall be."

Superman struggled to raise himself and croaked out in a hoarse whisper, "Luthor …"

Luthor looked down again, absolutely no pity in his eyes when he did as he said, "Strange to hear you say my name and know it's probably for the last time." He paused to contemplate his vision of the future before he spoke again, "Is this a mistake? Will the pain of losing the challenge you represent be worse than the discomfort of constantly losing to you?" He paused to consider again before he shook his head and said, "Nah." Finished speaking, Luthor turned to leave. As he did, he said, "I haven't decided. Shall I have you dissected or shall I dissect you … with the fire ax? Which would give me the most pleasure? If I have you dissected I may discover the source of your powers. But then you may succeed in escaping. I really need to decide, but then," he glanced around at the greenly glowing bars of the cage and said, "this trap may make the decision for me."

Luthor finally stood and strode through the door of the cage, closing and locking it behind him. Standing next to a wine cask near the foot of the stairs, just out of reach from the cage, Luthor placed the key to the cage on top. Tantalizingly, just out of reach, an additional torture for his fallen opponent. Turning away he started up the stairs. As he passed the fire ax he appeared to finally make up his mind and touching the ax, he said, "I'll be back later, after Lois is in my bed, when it is all over and we'll have a little heart to heart conversation. Have a nice ... death."

If after Luthor had climbed the stairs and closed the door, he could have looked back into the cellar, he would have been gratified to see Superman looking longingly at the key.

Shortly after Luthor paid his visit to Superman in his wine cellar, Lois was in her office at LNN when her phone rang. She was busy editing a news story and distractedly picked up the phone and from force of habit, said, "Daily Planet, City Desk, Lois Lane," before she realized what she was saying. She heard a giggle from the other end and finally realized what she had said. She recognized the voice and asked, "What's up, Luce?"

Instantly sobering, because of the news she was about to relay, Lucy's reply was couched in such a way that someone overhearing would not determine her real meaning, "Sis, I was calling because, Charlie, you know, my boyfriend, well I'm starting to get worried. Charlie didn't come home last night. It isn't like him to stay out and not call, if you know what I mean. I'm really concerned."

For security purposes they had been limiting their contact so the fact that he was missing had been unknown to Lois, until now. Lois was immediately apprehensive, but in a calm tone and couching her reply in terms that wouldn’t reveal anything if the line was bugged said, "I wouldn't worry too much, you know how it is. He might have gotten hold of some really good stuff and is sleeping it off." Lois’s mind was working at lightening speed. It wasn't like Clark to stay away. There were no reports of Superman being involved in any major catastrophes. That could only mean one thing Lex had managed to trap him somehow. That would be the only thing that could prevent him from coming home. How was she going to find him was the question. She had to find him and find him fast. The only thing that Luthor could use to trap him was Kryptonite. She had found a small chunk in the safe so she knew that he had it. She had warned Clark, but somehow, Luthor had managed to spring some kind of a trap and now, Clark was probably suffering terribly.

She realized that she needed a plan and she needed it quickly. Who would know how it had been done? Who would know where he was? There were probably only two people with that knowledge, Lex and Mrs. Cox. Lois remembered the comment about 'Series K' and the pieces fell into place. The test they had made and Clark had been weakened. They had been talking about Kryptonite. She had found the Kryptonite in the vault, but that must not have been all that Luthor had. Questioning Lex was out so that only left Mrs. Cox. Within an matter of seconds, the germ of a plan started to form. It was time to use the inside knowledge she had gleaned over the last few months to her advantage.

Lois quickly exited her office and stepped outside of the LNN building. She reached into her bag and picking up her cell phone, the one that Luthor didn't know about, dialed the number of another cell phone. When the other end was picked up, she heard, "Henderson."

Without preamble, Lois launched into full babble, "Bill, listen, I think that Luthor has trapped Superman. No one has seen him for a day. I told you that I found Kryptonite in that vault when I found the books. That is the only thing that could be used. I think that Angelica Cox will know where he is. I'm going to lure her out and subdue her. You’ll need one of those warrants made out in her name."

The sound of rustling paper came through the earpiece as he said, "Making it out, now. Just let me know where to pick her up."

"I'm going to call and have her pick me up so that she and I can go shopping. Once I have her, I'll call."

"I'll be waiting."

"This won't take long. Every minute he is exposed to that stuff he is in pain and I don't want that to go on any longer than necessary." She closed the cell phone to break the connection and returning to her desk used that phone and dialed another number. When the phone was answered, Lois heard, "LexCorp, Mrs. Cox."

Lois affected a honeyed tone as she said, "Ah, Angelica, just the person I needed to talk to. Listen, I need you to do me a favor. I have some shopping to do and I need to ask your opinion on some things. You are very familiar with Lex's taste and I want to get him something special for a wedding present. Could you help me, please?"

"It's not really within my job description -"

Lois interrupted her, "I was really counting on your help. You know Lex so well. It's for Lex, after all. I’ll make sure he knows that you helped pick it out."

"Well …"

The tone of her voice was softening and Lois could tell that playing to her vanity was working. "Could you come get me, please?"

"Oh, all right. For Lex. Where are you?"

"LNN. I'll meet you out front. Thanks, you're a life saver."

"Fifteen minutes," was all the reply that Mrs. Cox would give her.

"I'll look for you." As she hung up, Lois picked up her bag. She checked the contents. One of the things she had added was a telescoping wand. Fully extended it was eighteen inches long and could be used as an escrima. Lois didn't want to, but in a worst case scenario she would use it like a blackjack to knock Mrs. Cox out.

Lois was outside when Mrs. Cox rolled up in a limo and Lois climbed into the back seat. Lois said, "Thanks, Angelica, I really appreciate this. What was Lex doing when you left?"

"He was in a meeting. I left him a note. Where do you want to go?"

"That exclusive men's store over on Fifth."

Lois made small talk while Mrs. Cox drove. Lois's plan was to have Mrs. Cox off guard so when they arrived, after parking they went in. Lois had her help pick out a very expensive gift for Lex. When they left the store, Mrs. Cox made to take Lois back to LNN, but Lois asked, "Listen, instead of that, could you take me to Victoria's Secret? I'd like to get you something, to thank you for your help. Please?"

The idea of getting something from there was too enticing to pass up, so Mrs. Cox turned the limo in that direction.

As they were exiting the car, Lois hooked her arm and as she pulled her toward the store asked, "What can I get you, Angelica?"

"Oh, I don't know." She thought about Lex and what she could wear to entice him and finally replied, "Perhaps a teddy."

Lois had been in this store before and knew the layout. Lois picked out a red teddy, saying, “This would look spectacular with your coloring. You really need to try it on, to make sure it fits right.” She led Mrs. Cox to the fitting rooms at the back of the store.

As Mrs. Cox was changing, Lois watched under the drape. When she saw her skirt drop she made her move. Sweeping aside the curtain she swung her escrima catching Mrs. Cox just over the right ear. Mrs. Cox collapsed to the floor like a sack of meal. Quickly, Lois stuffed a hanky in her mouth and tied it in place with a bandana. She put another over her eyes and then secured her hands behind her with large cable ties. She pulled her skirt up and secured it and then bound her legs.

Peeking out she saw an empty corridor and grabbing Angelica under the arms dragged her out the back door. She dropped her in the alley and stood over her in case anyone should come by. She pulled out the cell phone again and called Bill Henderson.

Five minutes later, Bill showed up.

Mrs. Cox was just regaining consciousness and as she did she realized that she couldn’t see anything and that there was something in her mouth, preventing her from speaking. She next realized that her arms and legs were bound and she started struggling with her bonds.

All pretense of friendliness dropped from her voice as Lois nudged her with her toe and dropping the sickly sweet tones she had been using with her. In a commanding tone Lois said, "Don't bother. You're not getting away."

Mrs. Cox only struggled against her bonds that much more in reply and was still doing so as she was lifted into the back of a car.

Bill was there personally and Lois helped load Mrs. Cox into the back seat. She said, "Bill, the limo is out front. I'm sure it has a tracker installed, probably a listening device as well. You need to have them both disabled and then tow it away."

Bill pulled out a cell phone and gave the necessary directions. He said, "They should be on scene in five minutes."

Lois said, "I will be calling Luthor in about ten minutes. I would expect fireworks to start flying in fifteen."

Lois actually waited fifteen minutes to see that the limo was towed away before she made the call using her regular cell phone. When the phone was answered, in a somewhat frantic voice, Lois said, "Hello, Lex? Lex, something's wrong!"

In a placating tone, Lex said, "Calm down. It can't be that bad. Now tell me what happened."

"I really don't know. Angelica and I were doing some shopping -"

He interrupted her and said, "I know. I saw her note. How did this happen? I thought you didn't like her."

"I was just trying to be nice, you know, build bridges after all we're getting married and she's your personal assistant."

"I understand. Tell me what has you so upset."

"Well, you see the thing is, we were having a really nice time together. She helped me pick out your wedding gift.” She affected a gushing tone as she continued, “It’s really nice. I’m sure you’re going to love it. And then I was buying her a thank you present in Victoria's Secret and she said she had something to do.” Her tone returned to one of worry as she finished up, “That she'd be right back."

"Well, how long ago was that?"

"Oh, I don't know, perhaps fifteen minutes."

"Give her some time. I'm sure she'll be back. You could wait for her at the car."

"That's the thing; the car's is missing too."

"What? Let me check something. I'll call you right back."

As the connection was broken Lois smiled. She knew just what he was doing, checking the tracking device in an attempt to locate Mrs. Cox and the car. The smile broadened as time went by and he didn't call back knowing that his level of frustration had to be climbing. She hoped it went right up through the roof. They had made Nigel disappear and now they had done the same thing to Mrs. Cox. Both of his chief lieutenants now appeared to have deserted him. This was exactly what they needed - keeping him off balance so that he didn't see what was going on around him.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 08/04/15 07:48 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj