Next Thread
Print Thread
#265223 08/04/15 07:23 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Last night, I thought up a fun crossword puzzle clue. Once upon a time, I had made a couple of L&C-related crossword puzzles. Unfortunately, I no longer have any place to host such puzzles. (This site is the closest I will come to joining any social media sites.) But I wanted to share this one clue, for your amusement.

Clue: I'm a fowl place, but remove my middle and flip my ends and I become fair.

Any guesses?

I'll end with some spoiler space, so that if anyone posts an answer, subsequent readers won't accidentally see it.

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., I purposely did not state how long the answer was, but if you wish a hint, consider where this clue is posted. If no one guesses the answer in a day or two, I'll provide some spoiler-tag-protected hints, including the length of the answer.

Last edited by Lynn S. M.; 08/04/15 03:46 PM. Reason: Deleted spoiler space
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Just for future reference, Lynn - this forum comes with a handy spoiler tag, since the upgrade, which saves you having to type in space fillers. Somewhere. <g> I've never had need of it so I can't figure out how you access it, but I'm sure someone out there will know.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thanks LabRat, but I don't think the spoiler tag would do what I want. I wanted to have the space to prevent readers of my post from accidentally seeing subsequent posts. The spoiler tag would be to hide part of one's own posts.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
No, my thought was if you asked those trying the puzzle to use the spoiler tag on their guesses there would be no need for you to type out a spoiler space. The suggested answers would be hidden.

Wouldn't that work for you?

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi LabRat,

It would, but I didn't want to make work for others by asking them to do something when I could use the old-fashioned method myself. However, our correspondences basically take up enough room to negate the need for the spoiler space in my original post, so I'll go ahead and delete that space.

Thanks,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ah - okay. Glad to have been of help, one way or another. <g>

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
No takers? Was the clue too hard or is no one interested?

Here are some hints, in case it was the former:

Hint #1:
The clue did not contain any typos.
Hint #2 (answer length):
The answer is three characters long.
Hint #3:
Although people in the U.S. might be more likely to get the answer, much of the rest of the world has had the very dubious pleasure of experiencing this bit of American "culture." (I use the term loosely.)

If no one gets the answer by this time tomorrow, I'll go ahead and post it (spoiler protected), along with the explanation.

Joy,
Lynn

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Complete silence. I'm guessing no one is interested, but in case I am mistaken, here's the answer and the explanation:

The answer is KFC. My research leads me to believe that this fast food chain has invaded most of the countries of the world.

The explanation:

I'm a fowl place, KFC's signature dish is fried chicken. (The letters hearken back to the chain's original name: Kentucky Fried Chicken)

but remove my middle Delete the "F" to get "KC"

and flip my ends Reverse the order of the remaining letters: CK

and I become fair. Surely Clark (C.K.) must be among the fairest of all journalists. As the old Superman shows said in the opening sequence, "... who, disguised as Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper, fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice, and the American way."

So there you have it. I hope somebody found this clue to be at least somewhat enjoyable.

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
Not that I wasn't interested, just that I was clueless! Lol

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Susan,

Thanks. It's nice to know that there was at least one person interested. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yeah, I've been trying to figure it out to no avail.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Top Banana
Top Banana
I kept trying to figure it out, too, but my brain wouldn't cooperate.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Too difficult for me too, Lynn. This is why I don't crossword. I can never get the clues. I was thinking it had something to do with air, and the fowl place being sky. But I couldn't think of a word with fair in it with the middle removed. dizzy

Yes, sadly, your fowl place has branched out to other countries.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
There is a KFC at the Badaling section of the Great Wall of China. I relented for the sake of my hungry, complaining son, so we stepped inside to order. They were out of chicken. I am serious.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I thank you four for chiming in. I feel better now. smile

Groobie, I guess there's a reason they abbreviated their name, even beyond their probably not wanting to tie the chain down to being identified with one state from the U.S...

My favourite fast-food-in-another-country story is this: First, let me say that I dislike fast food in general and McDonalds in particular. But when I went to Scotland once, I couldn't resist eating at a McDonald's... Fear not, though, it wasn't part of the chain. It was a McDonald's Brothers' butcher shop and I had a bridie.

Tempus isn't the only one who appreciates irony, I guess.

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard