Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
See, not quite as bad as it looked there for a bit! smile

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Boy, am I relieved! I love how Lois was able to briefly glimpse Jimmy instead of James. And I love how powerful the revelation was at the end - Lois realized Clark didn't need her yet he acknowledges that he needs her. Yeah!

Joan

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm glad to see that Jonathan didn't die on the operating table, but his prognosis doesn't sound good. It must be eery for Lois to hang out in that suite without the Kents and abandoned by Jimmy.

Who knew that James would have such an adverse reaction to Lois calling him by his old nickname? Does he relate Jimmy to someone weak? Poor fellow. Even in this universe does he end up with a broken arm (ala after the explosion of the DP in canon).

It's good that Lois and Clark are talking again. They need someone to reassure them that they're more than what others see and right now they're all the other has for that.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
R
RJS Offline
Blogger
Blogger
R
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
It's good that Lois and Clark are talking again. They need someone to reassure them that they're more than what others see and right now they're all the other has for that.

Lois in that position for no reason. To the world she's still a respected award winning journalist. She chose to ignore the accolades and offers that are waiting for her to answer. She still has that to go home to. Possibly even more, because she's been seen with him in hiding now. She has the story of what happened to the family and how the events of the earthquake are going to affect them in the future. She's still the golden girl as far as the rest of the world is concerned. Not only did she destroy Spinelessman's life, she tracked him down and is now in the position to reveal a heck of a lot more.
The clamoring for her next big story must have the powers that be at the DP tearing their hair out over her silence.
Perry White must be hanging on to his job by his fingernails, if he still has it.
Spinelessman is in that position for no reason, too. For his obvious weaknesses.

Last edited by RJS; 08/07/15 06:56 AM.
Kerth
Kerth
“Lois,” he says, and there is a smile on his lips. He hasn’t smiled since before the earth itself rose up against her, since before rocks were riven and roads were demolished and the foundations of her life were toppled. But he smiles now, a soft, slow smile that is, perhaps, less than the smiles he gave once upon a time, but beautiful all the same. “You held me together when I thought that nothing could. That’s not nothing.”

Her own smile is not as sincere. Not as beautiful. Not as easy to find or reclaim. “You would have been all right. You’re the strongest person I know, Clark.”

His shrug is almost embarrassed. He does not quite meet her eyes. “Maybe. But sometimes I don’t want to have to be strong. And I’m glad you were there to be strong for me.”

No one is an emotional island. People can pretend to be strong through times of crisis, keeping up appearances to those around them, assuring everyone that they're "fine", but eventually, the strain becomes too much and they break down. And that's when you need someone to pull you into a protective hug, physically be there for you, help you shore up those emotional walls again.

Some may see this as a sign of weakness. I see this as a sign of Clark's humanity.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Thanks, scifiJoan! Lois and James have a very strange relationship still, but they're getting there. And this was one of my favorite Lois and Clark scenes to write to date, just because it felt more like THEM as they are in the show. They're getting back some level of normalcy.

Yes, Virginia, I had to give James the broken arm, just because I had such a clear picture of him in that sling on the S1 finale! Jonathan is not completely out of danger yet, but hey, at least he's alive! Love how you phrased that about Lois and Clark needing each other to see that they're more than they think they are -- so true!

Thanks, groobie! I really wanted to explore Clark's strength, even when he thinks he's weak, but as you said, sometimes you just need that hug even if you are trying to be strong.

Thanks, everyone! And good news -- I'm not late this week! hyper

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
His mother is in intensive care,...

whinging

More than half the time, that’s all that keeps us from being tracked down.

So sad.

“But if Mr. K doesn’t make it…will any of us want to stay here?”

The bigger concern would be Clark seeking out a green stone for a new necklace, methinks.

Jimmy vanishes in front of her eyes, subsumed beneath James. He straightens, stands upright, shoulders back, jaw clenched.

Ouch.

But in those dark eyes (reminiscent of Clark’s own, but so different, so individual, and filled with more determination than Clark’s are anymore), she sees hints of a young boy reassured, able to take in a deep breath for the first time in ages.

Love this. It's so easy to forgot how young Jimmy really is.

No. Instead, they only care about the past. About what happened a week ago.

This makes me angry at the world you've created.

“He speaks. And he hurts. And he eats and sleeps and lives.”

mecry

she will even try to make something for him in the kitchen, she is so desperate…

So, she wants to kill him? wink

The lights are all on, in the kitchen, the dining area, the living room, all glaringly bright (to mask the silence).

I love this. I think we've all done this at some point in our lives.

He’s Clark and she cannot fail him again.

So beautiful.

And before she can even open her mouth, Clark says, “He woke up. It was only for a minute, but Dad woke up. He talked to me.”

*lets out a Superman-sized sigh of relief*

“She’s as strong as someone else I know,” Clark says ruefully. He pulls back, then, just enough to look at her, to meet her eyes. There is life in his again. Life and hope and everything she thought was gone forever. “Thank you, Lois. For not giving up on them. For not letting me give up either.”

I'm so happy for him! Of course, that terrifies me that something bad is going to come...

But…but she wanted to be the one to put that edge of hope back in his eyes.

Very Lois.

“Maybe. But sometimes I don’t want to have to be strong. And I’m glad you were there to be strong for me.”

So true in every universe.

But with his arms around her, with his scent surrounding her, with his words still ringing in her ears (undiluted by any of her own meager replies), it is all too easy to hope and dream of things that can never be.

Hey, Lois? The last time you didn't communicate with him? Bad things happened, right? So just tell him you love him!

Excellent part. I'm starting to dare to hope for a happier Lois and Clark!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I am constantly amazed by your writing, Anti-K...

I so much enjoyed this part--so much so that I just had to read those last moments between Lois and Clark again this morning before commenting. I love that they really seem to be 'finding' their way back to each other. Feelings, ever so cautiously, are resurfacing. Trust is starting to be earned back. Fences are slowly starting to topple. I love how you weave the work of rebuilding 'them' so expertly into these few chapters. It feels so great to see them starting to come together...

To me anyway, showing your weakness, truely being your authentic self--in whatever that self is at the time--takes so much more courage than putting on a brave face for show. Clark opening up again is so much harder right now than anything Super he could ever be doing.

Awesome--well done smile
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 08/18/15 11:24 AM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard