Print Thread
#265164 08/02/15 09:08 AM
N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Feedback folder.

Though it's not part of the At First Sight series, this story idea came from writing Vigilante?. It occurred to me that while Lois supports and encourages Clark long before she knew CK=S, Mayson just seems to drag him down.

Feli

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Awww! It never occurred to me that he could have heard her whisper that. How heartbreaking for the two of them.

I agree that Clark could have never loved Mayson. Her hatred/opposition of Superman aside, she all but bullied him. Clark would be trying to find a way to say something to let her down gently (like her invitation to go away for the weekend just before Superman is blinded) and she'd just steamroll over him and make the assumption that he would accept/agree. While Lois might have occasionally steamrolled over him, it was usually not something she meant to do - usually she was just overexcited about something and wrapped up in her own thoughts.

Had Clark wound up with Mayson (even without Lois in the picture), his life would have been far from happy.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
Yes, obviously Clark could never have fallen in love with Mayson. Her vocal disdain for Superman quashed any potential relationship they could have ever had before it started. I don't blame Clark for unintentionally leading her on, though - she was very aggressive and he had little experience with relationships and didn't know how to let her down gently but firmly. It also would have been flattering to him to have someone fall for Clark - can't blame him for indulging in that just a little bit. Mayson and Clark would have been like Alt-Lana and Alt-Clark, and neither pair could have ultimately been happy with each other.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow--yeah, it never occurred to me that Clark could have heard Mayson say that she loves him (in that scene as he is leaving). That's huge--and I believe, really would get Clark thinking along these lines.

The steamrolling thing with Mayson--another great point in this discussion. Besides all of Mayson's 'Superman Issues', she was all too assertive for Clark--it wasn't in a good, confident way, but more in a almost domineering, not letting him be himself/make his own decisions type of way. Yes, Lois was bossy...yes, she did try to push Clark around initially. But, so much of that was an act--to gain superiority at work, and to cover for her lack of confidence in her personal life. Once Lois really let her guard down around Clark, they fit much more naturally together.

Mayson and Clark were not a good fit--but her timing, her falling for Clark when Lois maybe was becoming slowly more 'aware' of him--was so interesting! smile

And after waiting/hoping for so long for Lois to really 'see' him, I can appreciate how Clark was happily surprised by Mayson's attention initially.

Wonderful piece, Feli!
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 08/03/15 02:17 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi NostalgiaKick!

Hurting Mayson
Huh, either Mayson is hurting or this story is about hurting Mayson. Hmm… there’s not really a difference evil

I heard Mayson whisper 'I love you.'
Oh boy. Maybe he should not tell Lois that one.

My heart bleeds for her. Unrequited love is just as painful as the poets would have us believe- trust me, I know.
Aren’t those three an adorable love square?

If that wasn't the case- if I wasn't deeply, passionately, head-over-heels in love with Lois Lane- could I have fallen for Mayson?
[Linked Image]

She dislikes Superman, and how could I be with someone who disapproves of such a big part of my life?
Well…Lois certainly disapproved of him being her partner, or a reporter in general at first, too.
LOIS: Now that’s unfair. I didn’t disapprove of him being a reporter. I just didn’t believe he was a ‘reporter’ the Daily Planet should have hired. There’s a difference.
CLARK: Why did you use quotes for ‘reporter’?
LOIS: Why did you?

She would've been better off.
MAYSON: [Linked Image] I might even still be alive that way.

Nice twist!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard