Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
This story is in answer to Virginia and Groobie's The Canterbury Tales of Metropolis Challenge.

I just re-watched The Foundling the other day, and this story sprang up as a result. My apologies if I didn't get Jack's voice down quite right. If I had had more time, I would also have watched the later shows he appears in; but if I had waited to write this until I had time to do that, I probably wouldn't be able to post this for another year or two...

As always, all feedback appreciated.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Jack is rough around the edges, but he has plans for himself and his brother. It's a good thing Clark has him in his corner.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I liked the non-direct path you took to Jack saying he knows Clark's secret. His voice sounded pretty much what I expected Jack to sound like inside his head.

Also, side-note, it was groobie and I who started this challenge; although, DC did add some Questionable Evidence. wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Finding the stuff in a dumpster was the lie he told Luthor. He was the one who pulled the b&e on Clark's apartment.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Always did love that Clark and Jack bonded in their own way. And, a few years ago when I rewatched the series for the first time in forever, I did think that Jack knew the secret. Especially during Fly Hard.

Anyway, loved the little look into his mind!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Morgana, I agree completely. This was just one example of how Clark could help people in ways that Superman never could.

Virginia and Groobie, mea culpa! I had clicked on the wrong link to get to the challenge page, and saw DC's name on the post. Had I looked more carefully, I would have realized that hers was the last post in the thread, not the first one. I've changed the challenge attribution in my earlier post to give you two the proper credit.

Ken, right you are. I had tried to write the story in such a way that the reader would get a lot more from Jack's answer than would the person who was asking him about Clark. Jack actually told the dumpster lie more than once in the episode, so I figured he'd stick with it in the story.

Deadly Chakram, glad you enjoyed the story. I agree with you. I'm not sure when he figured it out, but I am positive that he knew in FH.

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
Woo hoo! Another tale! clap I really think they should have brought Jack back in a later episode, even if they weren't going to use him as a series regular. He absolutely knew that Clark was Superman, and it would have been interesting to see how Jack's character developed, and how Clark reacted to a less-than-trustworthy person knowing his secret.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Features Writer
Features Writer
Loved this peek into Jack's thoughts. Delightful tale!

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Loved this, Lynn, and really excited for another Tale smile...

I have to say, I really enjoyed the wordage in this piece. I thought you did a fantastic job of capturing Jack--and all the little details brought so much character into the story. My favorite word choice/saying you used was 'Way I figger'--how awesome! notworthy

By FH Jack completely is on to Clark. Those looks he gives Clark are priceless! I would have loved to see him in episodes later in the series--he was such a unique character.

Great job!
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 08/03/15 01:52 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Susan, I agree completely. The show's writers let slide some really interesting possible story lines.

Incidentally, is it just me, or do you, too, think the actor who played Jack looked a lot more like Dean than did Michael Landes? If so, and if the official reason for switching Jimmy actors is genuine (I suspect it is not), then it might not be too surprising that Jack didn't show up more than he did. One wonders at the original casting, though, if similar appearances had been a concern.

Cuidadora, glad you enjoyed the story. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback. smile

Laura, no doubt in my mind, either, that Jack knew. Hmmm... I can't think of much Jack fanfic. Have there been any stories written about Jack and how his knowledge affects Clark? (When, if ever, does Clark realize that Jack knows?)

Joy,
Lynn

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Yeah, it's a crummy job, but at least I don't have to keep a lookout for the cops.
But what when they come raiding the office to catch Lois Lane?

nd maybe someday Boss-man will stop screaming at me for coffee and start screaming at me for photos, same as he did for Jimmy.
laugh

he'll break the law if he thinks there's a good reason to.
Like all that property-damage he does?

One thing I don't get about him, though… Why he puts up with that Lane dame.
‘Cause he gets some?

If she's Mad Dog Lane, he's Puppy Dog Kent around her. He could do so much better.
He likes the punishment?

I probably know more about him than anyone, 'cept maybe his folks.
laugh

Cute one! Makes one think about finding time to rewatch clap

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
he'll break the law if he thinks there's a good reason to.
Like all that property-damage he does?
Or springing a certain female reporter from jail.

Makes one think about finding time to rewatch
That's quite the compliment. Thank you. (I know I've forgotten a lot from the series myself. One thing I'm looking forward to in retirement -- some years hence -- is having the time to rewatch the series.)

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard