Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've always thought that Perry knew, and from very early on. Which would give him pause about what he needed to print, and what he needed to omit.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, its time for me to get the ball rolling on this excellent fic!

When did I first know?

I mean really know, beyond a shadow of a doubt?

When did I first have to make one of the hardest decisions I've ever been faced with?

From the beginning

This does not surprise me. Perry for the most part has always been slightly ahead of our favorite reporting duo. The famous 'You Know' scene regarding Eugene Latimer is a classic. A man who can figure something like that out is going to pretty hard to fool when it comes to a certain guy flying around with spandex. He also had good sources like 'Sore Throat' and was able to rally a difficult billionaire to bankroll the Daily Planet after Luther bombed building. All of this is served up by the acting abilities of the late Lane Smith. The man was no lightweight and made the character perfectly believable.

Of course, as with most things, knowing that Clark was Superman had its drawbacks too. Because Superman and the Planet became somewhat synonymous, it meant that we, unfortunately, were targeted, on more than one occasion, in calculated - or desperate, as the case may have been - attempts to get to the Man of Steel. We're tough and we weathered the hard times better than anyone could have hoped, I think. At least, we did for the most part. We had a few causalities here and there - people who decided that they'd seek safer employment someplace else or those who sought earlier than anticipated retirement. Not that I can blame them. A bombing will do that to people. Most, I was sad to see go. A select few couldn't have gotten out of the door faster, for my taste.

Now that's something I never thought about. Working for the Daily Planet could at times be hazardous to a person's health. shock

There have been times, ever since they met and learned to be friends, when I've thought of their story as being right up there with the timeless, classic tales we all know and love. The kind that gets told and retold over countless generations, which little boys hate for the love and love for the action, and little girls swoon and daydream over. It's been my extraordinary privilege just being able to observe what I've been able to - watching them fall in love, marry, raise a family - let alone to be a part of it, even in so limited a role as I have. Oh, it hasn't always been easy, balancing the fine line I've been forced to walk, always having to exercise my editorial discretion, but let me tell you something:

It's been the greatest joy of my life.

That pretty much says it all. Thanks for writing such a wonderful piece! thumbsup

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Guess AntiKryptonite's "Newsworthy" has us all thinking about the consequences of newspeople learning about Superman secret identity. You've done a great job capturing Perry's voice. I can see him writing and re-writing his editorials to argue for Superman when he's in trouble. The struggle Perry has regarding what to do with what he knows rings so true. I like the idea that he knew from the start. He's a newsman - he's observant.

This made me laugh:

No tell-tale streak of fire burned in the night to mark his trail.

Sounds like you were following the discussion about the new Supergirl too!

Nice job!

Joan

Top Banana
Top Banana
Yes, I liked this story.

I recognized this Perry White, the one in Anti-K's Newsworthy I have no idea who he is/was. This one understands the impact on humanity cavalier decisions have, the other one less so but I guess he found out...

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Morgana
Well, its time for me to get the ball rolling on this excellent fic!

When did I first know?

When did I first have to make one of the hardest decisions I've ever been faced with?

From the beginning

This does not surprise me. Perry for the most part has always been slightly ahead of our favorite reporting duo. The famous 'You Know' scene regarding Eugene Latimer is a classic. A man who can figure something like that out is going to pretty hard to fool when it comes to a certain guy flying around with spandex. He also had good sources like 'Sore Throat' and was able to rally a difficult billionaire to bankroll the Daily Planet after Luther bombed building. All of this is served up by the acting abilities of the late Lane Smith. The man was no lightweight and made the character perfectly believable.

Of course, as with most things, knowing that Clark was Superman had its drawbacks too. Because Superman and the Planet became somewhat synonymous, it meant that we, unfortunately, were targeted, on more than one occasion, in calculated - or desperate, as the case may have been - attempts to get to the Man of Steel. We're tough and we weathered the hard times better than anyone could have hoped, I think. At least, we did for the most part. We had a few causalities here and there - people who decided that they'd seek safer employment someplace else or those who sought earlier than anticipated retirement. Not that I can blame them. A bombing will do that to people. Most, I was sad to see go. A select few couldn't have gotten out of the door faster, for my taste.

Now that's something I never thought about. Working for the Daily Planet could at times be hazardous to a person's health. shock

There have been times, ever since they met and learned to be friends, when I've thought of their story as being right up there with the timeless, classic tales we all know and love. The kind that gets told and retold over countless generations, which little boys hate for the love and love for the action, and little girls swoon and daydream over. It's been my extraordinary privilege just being able to observe what I've been able to - watching them fall in love, marry, raise a family - let alone to be a part of it, even in so limited a role as I have. Oh, it hasn't always been easy, balancing the fine line I've been forced to walk, always having to exercise my editorial discretion, but let me tell you something:

That pretty much says it all. Thanks for writing such a wonderful piece! thumbsup

Thanks, Morgana! Glad you enjoyed it! I'll admit, it was hard for me to write Perry - trying to make sure I got at least close to the character's voice. I've always loved the idea that Perry knew, and knew early on.

Thanks for reading!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by scifiJoan
Guess AntiKryptonite's "Newsworthy" has us all thinking about the consequences of newspeople learning about Superman secret identity. You've done a great job capturing Perry's voice. I can see him writing and re-writing his editorials to argue for Superman when he's in trouble. The struggle Perry has regarding what to do with what he knows rings so true. I like the idea that he knew from the start. He's a newsman - he's observant.

This made me laugh:

No tell-tale streak of fire burned in the night to mark his trail.

Sounds like you were following the discussion about the new Supergirl too!

Nice job!

Joan

I agree. AntiK's been making a lot of us think. I actually started this one when the title popped into my head, and built the story from there. I've always thought that Perry was in on the secret, and that some of what he did/said was actually dropped hints to Clark.

I actually have not followed the Supergirl discussion though. I just thought back to all those videos out there of the shuttles lifting off and the trail of fire in the sky.

Thanks for reading!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Mike M
Yes, I liked this story.

I recognized this Perry White, the one in Anti-K's Newsworthy I have no idea who he is/was. This one understands the impact on humanity cavalier decisions have, the other one less so but I guess he found out...

Mike

I thought you might like this one, Mike. I'm glad Perry rang true - it was hard capturing his voice. I don't mind that AntiK's Perry made a horrible decision - different universes can breed very different people. I do hope we get to revisit Perry in her piece, especially once the conflict and resolution have come to a head.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Kerth
Kerth
I also have always believed that Perry knew Clark's secret. I didn't think he figured it out this quickly, but your story definitely made sense to me. I like that he instinctively understood the damage that would be done by revealing the secret, that he carefully weighed that factor against the public's right to know, and that he chose to actively protect Clark's secret without Clark knowing it. Really good story. thumbsup

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I like the idea of Perry writing up editorials, just in case. And then burning them when it turned out that they weren't needed. A Very Perry thing to do. Oh, dear! What if Clark hadn't broken out of the Lakes' trap in time?! eek

I've always thought that if ever Superman were to give away his true identity, it would be from the way he looks at Lois in just the same 'I'm so in love' expression as Clark. Great that Perry caught it from moment one and has been debating the relevance of his editorial discretion ever since. Even better that he figured it out before Lois. He is the old news hound after all.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by groobie
I also have always believed that Perry knew Clark's secret. I didn't think he figured it out this quickly, but your story definitely made sense to me. I like that he instinctively understood the damage that would be done by revealing the secret, that he carefully weighed that factor against the public's right to know, and that he chose to actively protect Clark's secret without Clark knowing it. Really good story. thumbsup

Thank you! I think it was always played ambiguously enough that he could have known from the start, he could have figured it out later, or remained oblivious. That's part of why I love the writing of L&C. Glad you liked it!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
I like the idea of Perry writing up editorials, just in case. And then burning them when it turned out that they weren't needed. A Very Perry thing to do. Oh, dear! What if Clark hadn't broken out of the Lakes' trap in time?! eek

I've always thought that if ever Superman were to give away his true identity, it would be from the way he looks at Lois in just the same 'I'm so in love' expression as Clark. Great that Perry caught it from moment one and has been debating the relevance of his editorial discretion ever since. Even better that he figured it out before Lois. He is the old news hound after all.

Thanks, Virginia! The image of Perry writing up articles on Clark/Superman was a very strong image to me, once I decided to write this. You have to wonder what he was contemplating writing during the TOGoM events!

I agree - Clark isn't very good at hiding his feelings toward Lois, regardless of the suit he was wearing. Which is how he wound up getting himself into the "triangle" of Lois, Clark, and Superman...

I firmly believe that Perry knew WAY before Lois ever started to even question Clark's little quirks/disappearances.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow--I really loved this, DC smile...and there you go again, making me think.

I've always assumed that Perry knew something of the secret. I mean, really, how could he have not? But--probably predictably wink --I've never thought too much about the 'when' of him knowing because I'm always so centered on the triangular love story of Lois and Clark.

From the beginning though--I really like your thought process of him knowing early on. And probably, the biggest reason that I can believe that maybe this was the case, is because of the reasoning you used: Clark, in love. His eyes. He simply can NOT hide his feelings for Lois. It truly is written on his face how much he cares for her when he sets Lois down at her desk in the Pilot as Superman. Perry, having just met Clark, knowing how hard he is falling for Lois immediately, I really think could have been able to spot that 'look' while Clark is in the Suit.

And then the timeless, amazingly WAFFY, realization that Lois can not--that she is blinded by her own love... smile.

Great job!
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by LMA
Wow--I really loved this, DC smile...and there you go again, making me think.

I've always assumed that Perry knew something of the secret. I mean, really, how could he have not? But--probably predictably wink --I've never thought too much about the 'when' of him knowing because I'm always so centered on the triangular love story of Lois and Clark.

From the beginning though--I really like your thought process of him knowing early on. And probably, the biggest reason that I can believe that maybe this was the case, is because of the reasoning you used: Clark, in love. His eyes. He simply can NOT hide his feelings for Lois. It truly is written on his face how much he cares for her when he sets Lois down at her desk in the Pilot as Superman. Perry, having just met Clark, knowing how hard he is falling for Lois immediately, I really think could have been able to spot that 'look' while Clark is in the Suit.

And then the timeless, amazingly WAFFY, realization that Lois can not--that she is blinded by her own love... smile.

Great job!
Laura

Thank you!

I think it's interesting to try to figure out when, exactly, Perry came into "the know." It had to be early on - Clark can't hide his feelings about Lois and aside from the expected "find out who this guy is" after Superman first appeared, he never tried to really stalk him and expose him and the like.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Features Writer
Features Writer
I absolutely love this story! The ambiguity of how much Perry knew and when in the series has always intrigued me too. I think it's very much in character how Perry would kill this story to protect the Planet, Clark and the planet Earth. clap

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by cuidadora
I absolutely love this story! The ambiguity of how much Perry knew and when in the series has always intrigued me too. I think it's very much in character how Perry would kill this story to protect the Planet, Clark and the planet Earth. clap

Thank you! And you hit the nail right on the head. Perry would absolutely protect those things in exactly that order in the beginning. smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Vicki!
Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Planet, world-renowned newspaper, Perry White, is in possession of the world's biggest story.
Lois Lane is going to dump Lex Luthor?

When did I first know?

When he heard about how she kissed Superman on the airport.

When he resigned from the Daily Planet.

From the beginning.

The night was already abuzz with expectation and anticipation.
The White Orchid Ball.

It's even rarer still for there to be children aboard, whole families, ready to brave the dark, cold, uncertainty of space.
[Linked Image]

each of them either displaying a migrating Daily Planet logo or that God-forsaken endless maze that was all the rage back then.
And what about Cat’s dancing muscle men?

I roared at my staff to find out just what in Elvis' good name had happened.
A Lois got into the wiring.
CLARK: I’ve *tried* to teach her computers, but it is no use.

But then we heard the newscasters reporting on the same delusion I was seeing. There really was a man in some kind of clinging, skin-tight suit, flying through the air as though it was the most natural thing in all the world.
David Copperfield?

We all watched in awe as the man - at least, he appeared to be a man -
LOIS: drool *)

*) Yep, he’s a man, all right!

No tell-tale streak of fire burned in the night to mark his trail. No rumble of noise gave evidence to the shuttle's passing.
Didn’t have beans that day, huh?

I was more worried for her, and angry too, since I'd nearly lost my best reporter to years among the stars.
Unpaid leave, huh?

You know, I just realized he took the shuttle up there with the boosters and the tank. Aside from that being dangerous for the station, it’s terribly wasteful. Would have been far better to just burn through the connecting struts and take only the shuttle.

And, even though he'd saved the entire EPRAD mission from being scrubbed into non-existence, I worried about Lois.
Would he take a native female as payment for the services rendered?

And I wondered, if he could fly and lift impossible amounts of weight and digest explosives...what else could he do?
Carry a pregnant Lois and digest food prepared by Lois on the stove.

So long as he didn't suspect that I knew the truth, I could trust him to keep bringing in other Superman stories. And, I wagered, he would likely go out of his way to give the Planet exclusives, if he had any shred of loyalty to his place of employment.
rotflol

He also keeps Lois safe. That was always the biggest draw for me. I could usually breathe a sigh of relief, knowing that he was with Lois, especially on the most dangerous of assignments and investigations.
laugh

Unless, well....unless Clark is God's most elite angel. And honestly, sometimes I'm certain that's the case.
I always thought that angels had more…pure intentions.

Either he's so good-hearted and naive as to believe that no one other than Lois knows his secret, or he's perfected the art of remaining calm and maintaining an air of total ignorance to any and all hints at what he does in his spare time.
Yep, he never raises the bait when Lois tries to be naughty during the workday.

when I've thought of their story as being right up there with the timeless, classic tales we all know and love.
Romeo and Juliet. Odysseus, in the version where he doesn’t get home to Ithaca. Oedipus and his wife/mother. Hamlet and Ophelia. Anakin and Padme. Jamie and Cersei. Marcus Antonius and Cleopatra.

Awwwwww…Perry’s a fun juxtaposition between Clark and the Planet. clap

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Vicki!

wave

Cat: Hey! Gossip is MY area!

Perry: Are you kidding? That kiss should have made me think that he could never be the "hack from Nowheresville."

When he resigned from the Daily Planet.

Clark: Ouch!

And what about Cat’s dancing muscle men?

Someone's been "bribing" the IT guy to get around the restrictions again, huh?

A Lois got into the wiring.

Lois: Hey! I wasn't even here this time!

Unpaid leave, huh?

She used up all of her leave up until death.

Would he take a native female as payment for the services rendered?

Nor: Yes, do, so I can brand you as a polygamist and oust you from the throne.

I always thought that angels had more…pure intentions.

Clark: I want to marry her and have tons of babies with her. That's pure...right?

Romeo and Juliet. Odysseus, in the version where he doesn’t get home to Ithaca. Oedipus and his wife/mother. Hamlet and Ophelia. Anakin and Padme. Jamie and Cersei. Marcus Antonius and Cleopatra.

rotflol

Thanks for reading!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Someone's been "bribing" the IT guy to get around the restrictions again, huh?
laugh Bribing, huh?

Nor: Yes, do, so I can brand you as a polygamist and oust you from the throne.
CLARK: But…but…she’s just a professional caretaker!
LOIS: mad
CLARK: help I mean…

Clark: I want to marry her and have tons of babies with her. That's pure...right?
Uh-huh…

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard