Pulitzer
Story is here.

Comments and exclamations of "WTF?!" go here. smile

~•~
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Wow. That was different. Different, but amusing.

Thanks for making my day a bit brighter.

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
That was ... different. So, what's this 8-month window for Clark to father a child?

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I am officially confused ..... dizzy

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I... I... I... huh WHY would Clark agree to that? WHILE in love with Lois and trying to convince he's a stand-up sort of guy? It's as if he's shooting himself in the foot. With his abilities, he must know that there might be some chance that they'll be passed along to any offspring. Like Morgana, I'm baffled by what's going on in this story. I'm entertained, but definitely flummoxed motivation-wise.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
My understanding of the story (please correct me if I am wrong, Queenie), is as follows:

Clark's Kryptonian biology permits him only eight months of fertility (not a good trait for the survival of the species). Cat had somehow found out that Clark is Superman. He wishes to have a child, but he is still holding onto the notion that he wants Lois to love him as Clark, and so he is reluctant to tell her his secret and ask her to be the mother of his child. (The timing is wrong.)

What I don't understand is Cat's motivation for agreeing. Her character as depicted in canon doesn't seem to me to be the sort who would be willing to "let her body go to pot" so that she could help Clark out. (Please note: That quoted phrase is how I think *she* would think about pregnancy; it is *not* my personal opinion.) But I'm willing to overlook a lot of character inconsistencies in a comedy piece that would bother me in a serious story.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
How can Clark expect Lois will fall in love with him after he impregnated Cat out of all the women in the world? huh dizzy She could maybe accept if it where any other woman, but Cat?!? cat

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Features Writer
Features Writer
Add me to the list of confused and lost by this story. huh

I kept thinking it was a nightmare, and either Clark or Lois would wake up in the last line, as in the shower scene in Dallas or its spoof in the Newhart finale.

For those of you not familiar with Dallas or Newhart...

The shower scene in Dallas voided the year before when Bobby was killed, and allowed him to return alive and well.
The finale of Newhart made the whole several seasons as a dream, and the final scene is between Bob and his wife Emily from his previous show The Bob Newhart Show.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Kerth
Kerth
Lol...yes, this is a Newhart situation. It's missing the last paragraph:

Lois woke up with a start. She put her hand over her pregnancy bump and looked over at her sleeping husband with a scowl. If Superman hadn't been busy last night, he could have gotten food for her in the middle of the night to satisfy her craving. Instead, she had called the only open Chinese delivery place available. But after that nightmare, she swore to herself that she'd never eat from Ralph's Pagoda again.

Lol...still, this crazy little story has certainly generated a lot of comments! smile Fun!

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by groobie
Lol...yes, this is a Newhart situation. It's missing the last paragraph:

Lois woke up with a start. She put her hand over her pregnancy bump and looked over at her sleeping husband with a scowl. If Superman hadn't been busy last night, he could have gotten food for her in the middle of the night to satisfy her craving. Instead, she had called the only open Chinese delivery place available. But after that nightmare, she swore to herself that she'd never eat from Ralph's Pagoda again.
Okay, this makes sense. laugh

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thank God for the missing paragraph! Otherwise, I was going to echo the other WTF sentiments here. It's actually pretty funny with the nightmare situation at the end!

I wish I could have laughed at "scientist with a turkey baster," but it actually struck a very sad vibe with me.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Top Banana
Top Banana
I did not see Queeny make any comments about a missing paragraph. That was cuidadora's idea of how to make the story make some sense. I would love to hear Queeny's explanation of the warped thought process for this story. It seems on the surface to be amusing but what if Clark only had nine months to procreate or it would never happen and at that time Lois was enamored with Lex (end of season 1). What would he do? Myself I could not see Cat as an option, Rachel would be a much more attractive option for him. Maybe I am just missing the whole story concept and am overthinking it, Morgana will tell you I never do THAT…

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Mike, I (perhaps wrongly) assumed that the "missing paragraph" was posted by the beta reader.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Top Banana
Top Banana
I have to say I (like most here) was confused a lot by the story.

I have no idea whether cuidadora is a beta reader for the fic. I was kind of expecting Queeny to chime in but as of yet she has not. From what I read from cuidadora's post she was just supposing that what this fic needed was a Dallas/Newhart type ending. Maybe someone will clear this up eventually...

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Kerth
Kerth
My "missing paragraph" was a joke. I just made it up off the top of my head. Maybe my humor was too dry...sorry for the confusion.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by groobie
My "missing paragraph" was a joke. I just made it up off the top of my head. Maybe my humor was too dry...sorry for the confusion.

Well, it didn't help that I was really hoping it would end like your paragraph! goofy

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Features Writer
Features Writer
Sorry for adding to the confusion. I'm not a beta reader for this story.

I was confused by it, and didn't follow the reference to the 8 months, why Clark would want anyone other than Lois to carry his child, or why Cat would agree to get pregnant especially in such a clinical way.

You're right Mike, I was just speculating that a Dallas/Newhart dream explanation would be a fun way to end it.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hmmmmmmm. Thinking on this one shock. Cat? shock.

I, too, was expecting it all to be a dream/etc. Looking forward to Queeny's response...

Laura

Last edited by LMA; 07/30/15 02:37 AM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi guys, sorry it took me so long: I have to go to McDonald's for internet.

Anywho, this fic was written pretty quickly, so I didn't really delve into motivations or anything; I think if I had sat down and made a longer fic (which I still might...possibly), I would have delved more into the hows and whys (although I admit that, having thought about it and read the comments, my ideas for why Cat agreed don't seem as plausible as I thought at first, so that will need thinking.)

Mostly, my intent in posting was A) to hopefully entertain (of course), but also I was hoping to get a ball or two rolling with such a wild idea. We have a lot of creative FoLCs on these boards, and I wondered if the scent of such a wild idea would inspire some ideas from further out of left field. Plus, I hadn't written anything all week and was starting to go bananas. :p

(Also: Fic was un-beta'd. A beta probably would have smacked me and made me fill in the plot-holes.)

Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
I wish I could have laughed at "scientist with a turkey baster," but it actually struck a very sad vibe with me.

Do you mean Sad as in "pathetic" or sad as in "makes you wanna cry"? If the first, I'll admit that my knowledge of Artificial Insemination is spotty at best and mostly comes from jokes and sitcoms, but if the latter, I'm afraid I don't understand the reaction then. Clark didn't actually want to sleep with Cat, so they did it the other way, which is a totally valid way to make babies as far as I know. Did I do something wrong?

Again, thanks to everyone who read, and I'm glad I was able to make some of you laugh. I'll try to be more coherent next time. ...Probably. ...Unless I have a really wild idea that's too tempting to pass up. grin

ETA: Also, Lynn was 99% right about Clark's motivation; I was actually thinking that Jor-El had somehow hot-wired his son to be compatible with Earth Women, but it would only last for 8 months. He didn't want to jeopardize his pursuit of Lois by giving her Superman too early, but he and Cat got to be friends somehow and...well, here we are. As for shooting himself in the foot--well, he is a lunkhead, after all. wink

Last edited by Queen of the Capes; 07/30/15 11:51 AM.

~•~
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
99%? Cool! I realize that Sam Lane would say I still have 1% room for improvement, but I'm satisfied.

The Jor-El explanation does make more sense than having an eight month window for all Kryptonian males.

I'm not sure whether your story will spawn others, but it has certainly sparked a lot of discussion. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard