Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#264740 07/11/15 10:44 PM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Finally, some tentative progress! Hope you all enjoy!

Kerth
Kerth
I love the time that Lois and Jonathan have together in this story - I don't often read that. I think it would be important for her to develop a connection with both of Clark's parents, to learn more about Clark by bonding with the people who raised him. It solidifies her connection to his family, though she can't help realizing that she should have done this before writing the article, before destroying the lives they had built. She should have thought about the broad consequences that could have resulted from publication of her article, not just to Clark, but to the people who love him. She clearly acted too rashly. We have some new hints as to what happened in Smallville - eventually, we should learn why she acted the way she did.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yea at Lois and Jonathan's quietly building friendship. Nothing heals the soul faster than working in soil. smile Jonathan is a wise man.

I'm so glad that Lois is starting to delve deeper with her dialogue with Clark. Sad that 3 weeks needed to pass before she felt comfortable enough with Clark to do so. Then again, I understand that with Clark not stopping by every evening the chances for her to do so are few and far between. I like Clark's logic that creating yet another persona would be more work (donning another mask) than just being himself in hiding would be.

“Superman’s what you do,” Lois murmurs, and wins another Clark smile for herself.

“Yes.”

“Do you…do you think you can ever be Clark again?”

Unexpectedly, a hint of confusion ghosts across his face, puts a crease on his brow. “What do you mean? I am Clark. I’ve…I’ve tried to stop, but as you can see”--he fiddles with the edge of his glasses--“I haven’t really succeeded.”

And for the first time, Lois’s heart feels lighter. For the first time she can breathe. For the first time, her smile is real, and she gifts it to him in return for the ones he’s given her, for the warmth he’s infusing through her, for the forgiving touch of his hand over hers.

“Good,” she says, relief making her whole and well and light.

He’s still Clark.
My favorite part. There might be hope for the man yet.

And if Clark is what he wants (if Clark is what makes her smile), then she will bring Clark Kent back from the dead (and erase that horrible accusation from the face of his grave), if it is the last thing she ever does.
So, if being Clark makes Lois smile at Clark more, wouldn't it make him want to be Clark more to earn more of said smiles? wink Sneaky.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
S
Merriwether
Online Content
Merriwether
S
I agree - love the Lois and Jonathan interaction.

I'm glad Clark still feels like he has Clark. I'm dying to see how you're going to work this all out.

Joan

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Another excellent part.

"The truth is...I don't want to be someone else."

It always amazes me how, in the hands of a skilled author, simple sentences can be so powerfully laden with emotions.

This part feels like a major turning point in the story. Lois's healing is underway and, although he might not fully realize it yet, Clark's has also begun.

I've a feeling that each part from here on in will be less painful to read than the previous one. (Don't get me wrong... I am hooked on the story, have looked forward to reading each part, and have never been let down by any part. It's just that the story has been so heart-wrenching that reading it has been emotionally draining. Both its power to affect me so and my willingness to keep reading despite the emotional toll are a tribute to the quality of the writing.)

Joy,
Lynn
Joy,
Lynn

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
A rooftop garden! What a cool idea, Anti K. What a way for Jonathan to have some aspect of 'normal' back. I love that he took the garden--without guarantee that he would have the ability to see it through--and put his heart and soul into it.

And I love that he's let Lois be a part of it...

Just getting out of the suite, getting fresh air. Gaining a bit of perspective. Knowing that she was seen as worthy by Jonathan to be part of his world. Gaining knowledge of Clark's dad, and then also, through Jonathan, of Clark. Huge moments for Lois. Healing for Lois. And with that...healing for Clark.

She cannot expect him to care about himself if she will not bother to care about herself either.

I adore this line. And how true it is! And oh how it can be applied to so many different things...relationships, parenting, etc.

Like Lynn stated, this chapter really feels like a turning point. Lois is in such a better place--and she has the resolve she desperately was lacking before to fight her way back to help everyone find 'normal' again.

The moments with Clark were so needed. It was such a more real conversation between them. I love that Lois isn't walking on eggshells--she's letting her 'real' self back into her relationship with Clark.

"Well, this is ridiculous,” Lois finally exclaims. “Surely we can find something to talk about.”

“Like you said, I’m out of practice.” She wonders if she imagines the tiny spark of mischief buried in Clark’s silvery-brown eyes. “What’s your excuse?"

----------------------

“It’s all right, Lois.” His hand tightens over hers, heat that spirals through her flesh, past the titanium lines threading her through, refining her in a cleansing fire that takes her breath away and makes her forget what she was planning to say. He almost sounds like the Clark of old as he stares into her eyes, silvery brown shining with as much goodness and kindness as ever. “You can ask it.”

She has to look away. Has to break his gaze and swallow back the flames licking their way up from where his fingertips rest along her wrist. Has to close her eyes and force herself to remember the question she wants to ask him (the last bit of impetus she needs to make herself into the champion James has asked her to be and Clark needs so badly).

And I love that despite everything, there is still that SOMETHING there between them. That magic, that spark. The teasing. The attraction.

And if Clark is what he wants (if Clark is what makes her smile), then she will bring Clark Kent back from the dead (and erase that horrible accusation from the face of his grave), if it is the last thing she ever does.

Yah!!! Game on! Lois is back! dance clap thumbsup

Laura

Last edited by LMA; 07/13/15 02:46 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
why should she be granted a modicum of privacy when she’s stolen every bit of that same luxury from the Kents?

Awwww.

“I am going to help you, Clark,” she murmurs into the still air

Please hear that, Clark!

And for the first time since her terrible crime, Lois feels, when she wakes up to a hand on her shoulder, actually rested.

It's a start...

She feels as if she is bathing in peppermint shame.

Love this.

Lois doesn’t want to save Superman (or not Superman only), not when it is Clark Kent she wants to revive and rejuvenate and restore.

Awww!

“I try to keep most of my tools up by the garden, but sometimes Martha appropriates a few pieces for her art projects.”

Ha! I can totally see that too!

“Everybody needs a second chance at one point or another,” he murmurs, and then he turns and leads her to the elevator.

I love you, Jonathan!

because they cannot plan too far ahead. Because they have to be careful in what they decide to do and what markets they attend and where they might be spotted. Because their everyday activities can only be planned around constant uncertainties

*nods*

Lois has to clench her fists to keep from hugging him (knowing he probably wouldn’t welcome the tactile gratitude).

I don't know, Lois. He's a teddy bear of a man, even if you did royally screw up their lives.

She can kill even the hardiest plant stuck on the corner of her desk every time New Year’s resolutions roll around

She must be related to my mother, killer of all things green and growing, simply by looking at it. (I left a Chia Pet with her for a week during a college dorm move and she managed to grow mold on it and kill it.)

His understated wisdom that brings her, unbidden, countless thoughts of a young, smiling Clark kneeling at his father’s side in a Kansas field or an older, pensive Clark following his dad from field to field, employing terrifying, alien power to grow crops of food, to nurture living, fragile things, to contribute to continued life.

Love these images.

Small memories. Tiny moments.

Exactly the kind of rocket fuel she needs to pull herself together and resurrect Clark.

(to tell him about Trask’s voice whispering in her ear and tests posed him he didn’t even know about; explain about adjoining tents and overheard confessions and shattered misconceptions),

Please, tell me we're getting a flashback scene (or at least a long, detailed conversation) at some point.

“Clark,” she says, and pretends it doesn’t hurt to see the tiny, instant smile that flashes almost every time she uses his name. “I was wondering if I could talk to you.”

YES!!!!!!

His sincerity shouldn’t hurt, but it does. It hurts worse, she thinks, than his blame would.

whinging

This is a conversation she should have had with him almost five months ago

*nods*

“Clark is who you are,” Lois whispers.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

He’s still Clark.

Clark Kent is dead, but he’s still Clark. He hasn’t forgotten, hasn’t given up hope, hasn’t entirely succumbed to the bleakness of this prison she’s delivered him into.

Ack! You can't leave us here! Mooooore! Please? Pretty please? Pretty please with a Clark smile on top?

As always, captivating - I had to force myself to slow down and not fly over the reading, wanting to know what would happen next.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Thank you so much for the feedback!

I don't think it's too much of a surprise to know that Jonathan is one of my favorite characters, groobie, and I do love getting to show a bit more of him -- which I don't think IS done in a lot of stories (means I don't have to worry as much about stepping on other author's toes :D). Lois always jumps in without checking the water level, and this is definitely a case of that times ten.

Lois certainly needs some quiet time to reflect and think, VirginiaR, and gardening gives her that. I can't say too much about whether it's good for everyone or not, because I tend to be much more like Lois BEFORE Jonathan's lessons. smile She and Clark really do need to talk, but these things come slow. I like the thoughts about her needing to smile more to cheer Clark up -- that would be a much easier solution, wouldn't it?

Thanks, scifiJoan -- I'm dying to see how it all turns out too! Just finishing up the last chapter and then the epilogue!

Thank you, Lynn! It is such a heart-wrenching story, and trying to strike the right balance between darkness and hope is a bit difficult, but I'm glad (though not in a sadistic way, I assure you wink ) that you are emotionally drained by it. I certainly have had the same effect writing it -- maybe one of the reasons it's taken me so long to get anywhere on it!

I liked the rooftop garden idea, too, LMA, as soon as I had it. I'm not sure about the logistics of it all, but no one said it sounded unrealistic, so I'm breathing a sigh of relief. Not everything has been ruined by the article, and Lois and Clark do still have that connection -- thank goodness! Some perspective may be just what Lois needs! smile

See, DC, there was at least one whisper from Lois to Clark! grin As someone who has no idea what to do with plants, I'm kind of in Lois's boats (and your moms, because I only have even a vague idea as to what a Chia pet is, :o). Flashbacks to Smallville...perhaps. cool I'm so glad you're enjoying -- since you're such a master of angst yourself, I feel a bit intimidated trying a dark story of my own!

Thank you, everyone!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I present to you... a chia pet.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard