Next Thread
Print Thread
#264638 07/07/15 07:10 AM
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
This is the second of the four flashback interludes from Lois' POV. This one is short and has a lot of fighting stuff in it, so I hope it's not boring.

Krav Maga is a very intense martial art developed by an Israeli soldier after Israel became a political entity in 1948. It's not at all like Tai-Kwondo. Students learn to attack quickly and effectively, and to turn opponents' attacks into offensive responses. It's hard on one's body but harder on one's attackers. Anyone using Krav Maga is ready to go to any lengths to win a fight.

That kind of training can change anyone's outlook.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Top Banana
Top Banana
It's interesting how you show Lois's past in these flashbacks. It goes a long way towards explaining how she became so different from the character we all know and love.

I look forward to seeing the next parts of the story.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Kerth
Kerth
Uh oh...fueling yourself with hate leads to the dark side! All of this training will not only physically condition her, but will also psychologically indoctrinate her. Being in Madagascar explains why she can't escape and why Clark couldn't find her - he was looking in the wrong place. frown Good part! Looking forward to more.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Annie, I'm glad you like the flashbacks. This technique makes it easier to bring the readers up to speed with essential background info while also moving the main story forward. It can be hard to strike a working balance, though - too much flashback and the readers will lose interest in the main story. Glad it's working so far.

Groobie, you're right about the hate. The other side of that equation is that one eventually runs out of emotional energy. Plus, people tend to become more like the people about whom they feel the strongest. Our Lois loves Clark, so she picks up some of his better nature, while he learns from her also. This Lois hates Rodolfo. Guess who she's going to learn to be like?

Next chapter up soon. More interesting it promises to be, young Padawans.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard