Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Columnist
Columnist
Suggs, Wendy has left the fandom.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted by IreneD
Suggs, Wendy has left the fandom.

One word, just one word: why?

Columnist
Columnist
From what she's said, she just lost interest. For a while, she started writing Dr. Who fanfic but now she's very much into knitting absolutely gorgeous garments. I think that's how she gets her creative fix now.

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted by IreneD
From what she's said, she just lost interest. For a while, she started writing Dr. Who fanfic but now she's very much into knitting absolutely gorgeous garments. I think that's how she gets her creative fix now.

That's disappointing. She's a really good writer. It's too bad she's not still writing. Do you know where I can read her Doctor Who fanfic?

Columnist
Columnist
I'll ask her. She's a very good friend and I'm seeing her this weekend. I'll let her know that people are still enjoying her LnC fanfic.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
is there a fanfic in which Clark wears a lead lined suit to protect him from Kryptonite?

I couldn't help but think of the animated Superman series of the late 1990's where Superman did have a lead-lined suit. In the DVD commentary, though, the producers said that they would always have the suit get torn or damaged so Superman would be affected by the Kryptonite, otherwise there would be no struggle and no drama. smile

Columnist
Columnist
Okay, Suggs, to find Wendy's Dr. Who fanfic, here is a link: http://www.whofic.com/viewuser.php?uid=637

Wendy wanted me to warn you that it's quite different from her LnC fanfic. She has written some slash as well as threesomes.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks to an email from Irene, I found this thread. Suggs - and Irene - thank you so much for the lovely compliments, which have really made me blush! blush

Yes, I have moved on. For a number of years, I wrote Doctor Who fic; I see, Suggs, that you are a DW fan, so I'll let you know that my era was the Ninth and Tenth Doctor, with preferred companions including Rose, Jack and Donna, and a sideline of Jackie. Wasn't particularly fond of Martha, and can't stand River Song. I lost interest in Doctor Who when I couldn't take to the Eleventh Doctor, and even now with the Twelfth I can't get back into it - Stephen Moffat as showrunner and head writer isn't to my taste.

These days, as well as knitting, I'm writing in a very small British-based fandom, Lewis, and posting on the multi-fandom fic site AO3.

You're right about the general quality of work on Teaspoon: they switched to an all-moderated system some years back, which means that although authors can upload work themselves it's looked over by moderators who will reject the work if it's full of typos/grammatical errors, character-bashing, songfic or other faux pas.

Although I'm no longer part of this fandom, it's definitely lovely to see everyone still so enthusiastic, and new people joining all the time wave

Just a fly-by! *waves*
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted by Wendymr
Thanks to an email from Irene, I found this thread. Suggs - and Irene - thank you so much for the lovely compliments, which have really made me blush! blush

Yes, I have moved on. For a number of years, I wrote Doctor Who fic; I see, Suggs, that you are a DW fan, so I'll let you know that my era was the Ninth and Tenth Doctor, with preferred companions including Rose, Jack and Donna, and a sideline of Jackie. Wasn't particularly fond of Martha, and can't stand River Song. I lost interest in Doctor Who when I couldn't take to the Eleventh Doctor, and even now with the Twelfth I can't get back into it - Stephen Moffat as showrunner and head writer isn't to my taste.

These days, as well as knitting, I'm writing in a very small British-based fandom, Lewis, and posting on the multi-fandom fic site AO3.

You're right about the general quality of work on Teaspoon: they switched to an all-moderated system some years back, which means that although authors can upload work themselves it's looked over by moderators who will reject the work if it's full of typos/grammatical errors, character-bashing, songfic or other faux pas.

Although I'm no longer part of this fandom, it's definitely lovely to see everyone still so enthusiastic, and new people joining all the time wave

Wendy, if you read this, it was nice to hear from you and I enjoyed your work on A Teaspoon & An Open Mind. I just thought your work on here and on that site was, as the tenth, or should we say eleventh (grrr, bad Moffat, bad!!) Doctor would say, "Brilliant!!" Sorry, got a little sidetracked. Where was I? Oh yes, I was about to say how much I enjoyed your series Earth To Ashes. I can understand not liking the Moff, have you tried the original series of Doctor Who? I did, and was pleasantly surprised. Also, if there were enough people on here asking for you to write more, would you? I'd love to see a good story with Ten and Clark meeting and talking about the destruction of Krypton & Gallifrey. Maybe Krypton was sabotaged somehow as part of the Time War? No one's ever done it as far as I know and you're the only one I know who could do it justice. Anyway, enough from me, I have an exam to get back to. Enjoy the knitting and Lewis.
All the best,
Sam.

P.S. We seem to have similar taste in Doctors and companions, though I pretty much like all of the Doctors except 2 and 7. 9 and 10 do feel more like my era.

Last edited by Suggs_With_A_Box; 07/04/15 12:51 AM.
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
1.18 Vatman.

A good, fun episode. I enjoyed the Perry/Jimmy storyline. It was interesting to see the contrast between Clark and the clone, which shows that the most impressive characters in the DC universe are not Superman or any other superhero, but actually Jonathon & Martha Kent. This episode did subtly put that message across, and it did it well. I don't get how Lois didn't instantly work out The Secret after the scene in her apartment though.

7/10.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Suggs smile

I'm really glad you liked the Earth to Ashes series; I was surprised and very pleased at the way that turned out. Nine's survivor's guilt and PTSD and the way his short life turned out really struck a chord with me and inspired more than once the sort of writing you see in that series.

I'm very familiar with Classic Who; I grew up on Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker and Peter Davison. There aren't many arcs of the classic series I haven't seen. Two I'm indifferent to; least favourites of the classic era are One, Six and (now, following a rewatch) Four.

It's flattering to hear that people would still like me to write again in this fandom, but I'm afraid it won't happen. It's not that I won't; I can't. When I lose inspiration in a fandom, it doesn't come back. It happened with L&C, and then later happened with DW. I very briefly stuck a toe into the Sherlock fandom, but that's not happening any more either. (Plus I really, really hate crossovers!

Wendy smile

Last edited by Wendymr; 07/05/15 12:14 AM.

Just a fly-by! *waves*
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Hi Suggs smile

I'm really glad you liked the Earth to Ashes series; I was surprised and very pleased at the way that turned out. Nine's survivor's guilt and PTSD and the way his short life turned out really struck a chord with me and inspired more than once the sort of writing you see in that series.

I'm very familiar with Classic Who; I grew up on Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker and Peter Davison. There aren't many arcs of the classic series I haven't seen. Two I'm indifferent to; least favourites of the classic era are One, Six and (now, following a rewatch) Four.

It's flattering to hear that people would still like me to write again in this fandom, but I'm afraid it won't happen. It's not that I won't; I can't. When I lose inspiration in a fandom, it doesn't come back. It happened with L&C, and then later happened with DW. I very briefly stuck a toe into the Sherlock fandom, but that's not happening any more either. (Plus I really, really hate crossovers!

Wendy smile

OK, well, other than here and on Teaspoon is there anywhere else you've written online? Better yet, any non-fanfic writing?

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
1.19 Fly Hard.

One of the best episodes yet, very interesting idea with the whole Clark can't change and is stuck in the situation, requiring a bit more intelligence on his part. I also liked the humor provided by Cat. And I'd have gone for that red number too.;)
9/10.

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
1.20 Barbarians At The Planet.

A great episode with a great story, fantastically acted, extremely well written with plenty of emotional turmoil for the characters, and it ended on a great cliffhanger. This is one of the best Superman things ever. I very much look forward to seeing it's conclusion, and if it's even half as good as this, it'll be a classic.
10/10.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I do have an account on AO3, here. I haven't written any fiction that isn't fanfic.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
I do have an account on AO3, here. I haven't written any fiction that isn't fanfic.

Wendy smile

Some great work on there. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who was even in the slightest bit interested.

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
1.21 The House Of Luthor.

A good episode. Pretty much perfect, except that it seemed weird to me that Lex had done such a good job of covering everything else up, and then he messed up with covering up his causing the downfall of the Planet. Seems odd to me, but what do I know?

It just seemed rushed to me. Like they were trying to cram in a story that could have been done more justice if we'd seen it a little bit more over the season (gathering evidence of Luthor's wrongdoings and criminal activity) into one episode.

Fortunately, the acting of the main cast was impressive enough to distract from the rushed story, and in particular Teri Hatcher was absolutely amazing in this episode. I also liked the symbolism of Lex starting the episode on top of the world (flying in VR) and ending it falling from grace (to his death). Many people see Superman as a Jesus figure (when in fact he was intended by his creators as a Moses figure) this reminded me of Satan falling from Heaven, which I find it weird that I would think of that, because I'm an Atheist.

Also I HATE that Lois didn't speak first at the end!!! Any fanfics where she did?

8/10 for this episode. I guess if paired with it's first part, which it should be, then the overall story gets 10/10.

Review of the Season as a whole coming up in the next post.

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Season One Review.

Best story: 2 part finale.
Worst story: Smart Kids.

A brilliant first season, with very few bad episodes, a great cast, and a great overall story. I really liked the way Clark was written so differently from other incarnations. No major complaints. I didn't really have anywhere to put this in the individual episode reviews, but I really like the way they show Clark using his powers in everyday ways. It's not something I've ever seen any other version doing. This is probably one of the best versions of the Superman story ever.

Score for the season: 9/10.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I also liked the symbolism of Lex starting the episode on top of the world (flying in VR) and ending it falling from grace (to his death).
An excellent point. I never really thought about it before, but this also works nicely with Lex's comments in the pilot episode about liking the fact that all of Metropolis has to look up to see him.

Joy,
Lynn

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
I also liked the symbolism of Lex starting the episode on top of the world (flying in VR) and ending it falling from grace (to his death).
An excellent point. I never really thought about it before, but this also works nicely with Lex's comments in the pilot episode about like the fact that all of Metropolis has to look up to see him.

Joy,
Lynn

I completely agree. That kind of goes full circle for the season when you think about it, doesn't it?

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard