Barbarians at the Planet – Matchmaker Style
Rated – PG - 13

Previously:

Cat returned the hug and said, "Yeah, I'll be fine, but what about you. You lost Clark, now the Planet is gone. Perry is retiring and we don't even know where Jimmy is now. He disappeared from the lock-up he was in."

Over Cat's shoulder, Perry gave Lois a wink of understanding and then put on a sad face in case Cat turned around and saw him.

Perry stepped over and grabbed the pot of coffee and refilled their mugs. He decided that it was time to distract Cat so he started to reminisce, but seeing the waitress headed his way he said, "I got it, Candy," as he poured showing that he knew the staff. Then thoughtfully he started to speak, "You know, I was only seventeen years old when I came here the first time. I had an interview with old man Krebbs -- assistant copy boy -- and I was already late. But I stood under that globe and just stared at it. I knew that my future was in that building."

Cat said, "I didn't always want to be the gossip queen. There was a period when I wanted to do hard news. It just didn't work out." She used her hands to indicate her body as she said, "Look at me. Nobody would take me seriously. All they could see was a beautiful, no, a very beautiful woman. They didn't care that I have a degree in Art History and can tell a Picasso from a Rodin."

Cat turned to Lois and asked, "What are you going to do? Clark is gone. The Planet is gone."

Lois replied, "Oh, something'll turn up. I'll land on my feet."

Looking at her watch, Cat said, "I've got to go. I'm supposed to meet George. He's helping me move my stuff to his apartment. Most of it will probably stay packed until we get to Seattle."

As she started to get up, Perry said, "I have to go too. I'm supposed to be meeting Alice." He looked back and forth between them and said, "No matter what happens, I want you to know … you're the best I've ever worked with."

Lois was all alone in the booth, but out of the corner of her eye, she saw her shadow.

Making up her mind, Lois exited. Cat had already paid the bill so she didn't have to worry about that. Walking to her Jeep, she climbed in and drove to LexTower. It was time to see just how far Lex was going to take things. She stepped into the express elevator. She was identified by security and the lock was taken off so that when she pushed the button the elevator ascended.

When she stepped out of the elevator, she was in an alcove. Stepping through she entered his study. Luthor was breakfasting in a high-back chair with a tray. Mrs. Cox was at his side. Lex stood as Lois came in and tried to give her a kiss, but she turned so that the kiss was on the cheek.

Lex was obviously disappointed by this and tried to cover it, "Lois! What a surprise." He was a little embarrassed that Mrs. Cox was there since it was Lois that he wanted. "I don't believe you two are acquainted. Lois Lane, Mrs. Cox."

Mrs. Cox was frosty as she said, "So pleased to meet you." As Luthor resumed his eat, Mrs. Cox placed a hand on Lex's shoulder in a very possessive gesture.

Lois noted this and filed it away for future reference. She should be able to use that against her or him in the future.

Luthor explained their relationship, "Mrs. Cox is my personal assistant."

Lois was curious as to just what the relationship was so she asked, "And what, exactly, does a personal assistant do?"

Mrs. Cox almost smirked as she replied, "Whatever's necessary."

At a signal from Lex, Mrs. Cox left. Lois noted the exaggerated sway of her hips as she did so and the attention that Lex paid to it. Inwardly, Lois was pleased. She said, "Lex … I need your help."

Lex put down his fork, patted his lips with a napkin of fine linen and asked, "What with?"

"With rebuilding the Daily Planet."

And now:

Chapter 8

In reply to Lois's plea to resurrect the Daily Planet, Luthor sat back in his chair and said, "Lois, there isn't an advertiser in this city that I could count on for revenue. Besides, the Planet was pitifully under-insured. Rebuilding makes no economic sense." He shrugged and trying to sound reasonable, said, "I'd like to, but I can't. I have the other stockholders to think of." He was barely able to contain his smile of satisfaction. Things were working out just as he had planned. He had even anticipated her plea to rebuild. He knew that he was crushing her world and hoped that by pulling all of her supports out from under her that she would tumble into his arms for the support she needed and thereafter tumble into his bed as well. Looking at her he could almost imagine the feel of her naked breasts in his hands.

For her part, Lois was concerned for her friends and what had happened to all of them. She felt bad about the situation, but she and Clark had discussed it and she knew this was for the best. Her co-workers would be receiving unemployment compensation. It wasn't like their regular paycheck, but it was better than nothing and if it meant bringing down this monster in human form, then so be it. She had to play her part and right now that part meant convincing Luthor that he had won. "But everyone's so lost... No one knows where or if they'll find another job ... Perry's decided to take an early retirement."

Still trying to sound reasonable and not gloating, Luthor said, "Is that all bad? Perry deserves retirement. He's worked too hard for too many years. Let him enjoy life for a change."

Lois had to appear to put up a fight, but that he was actually winning so she pleaded, "His life was the Planet. Mine, too." By adding that last she gave him the impression that he was achieving his goal.

Luthor thought he could smell the blood in the water, and like a shark circling its prey he nudged, "Lois, I know you called the Planet home. But I can make another home for you."

She knew what he was offering and she needed to keep it from looking too easy so she said, "Lex, I couldn't just sit around organizing dinner parties. I need to work." By saying that she gave him the impression that she was considering his proposal. She hoped that her acting skills were up to the task. She was walking a very fine line and the slightest slip could spell disaster.

Feeling that he was winning, Lex decided to press his perceived advantage, "I know that, my darling. That's why I have a job for you. At Luthor News Network."

Lois hadn't expected this and blurted out, "Television? I’m a print journalist!"

Trying to sound eminently reasonable and persuasive, Luthor said, "The on-ramp to the information super-highway. The future is five hundred interactive channels of television viewing. Let me show you around this afternoon."

Reasoning that by appearing to be won over, slowly, she would be able to move things in the direction that she wanted, she said, "I guess it won't do any harm to take a look."

Lex smiled at her reply and said, "That's my girl. Speaking of which ..." Luthor had prepared for this eventuality and reaching into his pocket, pulled out the ring box and opened it before asking, "Have you reached a decision?"

Still needing to play for time, Lois said, "Not ... quite yet. Soon. There's something I have to settle first."

Luthor nodded in understanding, but secretly he was fuming. He had removed her husband. Now he had removed her ‘family' of co-workers and her ‘home' away from home. What more did she have to rely upon? As he thought about that he started to frown. There was still one thing left … Superman. He needed to get rid of that final support so that he could have her and for that he needed that Kryptonite. He glanced at his calendar and said, "I have a meeting. Shall we meet at the LNN offices at … say … two P.M.?

Lois thought a second and said, "Two will be fine." She turned and headed out. She needed to talk to Clark.

Lois returned to the apartment. As soon as she was inside she dropped her bag and headed for the phone. When it was answered, she heard a non-committal, "Hello?"

Lowering her voice, she said, "We need to talk. Do you think you could get me out of here without my shadow seeing us?"

Instead of a reply on the phone, she heard a voice behind her as she heard the click of the phone being hung up, "I think we can manage that."

She hung up the phone and turning to him said, "Now that's what I call service." She ran to him and threw herself into his arms. They kissed briefly and then he scooped her up. He said, "Grab my cape and pull it over you. We are going to have to move fast, faster than you are used to."

As she reached for his cape she said, "Okay." She pulled the cape over herself and then felt sudden motion and had an instant of vertigo then a few seconds later he was saying, "Okay, you can uncover now."

As she removed the cape she was able to look down and see that they were on a rooftop. She looked around and saw that they were a lot higher than the other buildings around them. It was a flat area and there were landing lights as for a helipad. She asked, "Where are we?"

Clark smirked and said, "Top of LexTower. Last place in the world he would think to look for you."

She smiled and asked, "Ironic, isn't it?"

He put her on her feet and asked, "Okay, why the SOS?"

"Things are going just the way you figured they would. You already know he bombed the Planet so that he would remove me from my comfort zone. The staff is scattered to the four winds. What we hadn't anticipated was … a little while ago he offered me a position with LNN."

"But you're a print journalist."

She chuckled and said, "That’s just what I said. He seems to think I could make a go of it. Look, it's just another way for him to be the white knight, riding in on his white horse to save the fair maiden. He wants me dependent on him so that I'll come to him and marry him."

"We knew we were taking a risk when you told him how much you identify with the Planet and depended on your job. I just didn't think even Luthor would go to those extremes. He really is ruthless when it comes to getting what he wants, isn't he?"

"How can we turn that against him?

"Much as I hate to say it, you may have to give in and accept his proposal."

In response to his statement, Lois pulled her left hand up and cradled it to her breast with her right hand. "I don't want to remove my … your ring."

"You may have to in order for you to get on the inside."

"Then I want you to hold them for me." With obvious reluctance, Lois pulled the rings off of her finger. She looked at them for a long time lovingly before she finally closed her eyes and stuck out her hand with them on her open palm for him to take. He didn't take them immediately and when he didn't he could see a tear forming at the corner of her eye as she said, "You'd better take them before I decide I can't go through with this.

He reached out and gently took the rings from her hand.

Opening her eyes, she said, "You had better have them handy when I demand them back."

"They will be with me 24x7. They are almost as precious to me as you are." He opened the buckle of his belt, revealing a small chamber inside. Lois saw his wedding band in there and after he placed her rings inside he closed it again. "Wherever I go, they go."

"Okay. We need to finish this thing. Where do we stand?"

"Jack insists on helping and so does Jimmy. Bill got him out on a technicality. Because of Luthor's actions he was never read his rights and also since it was Luthor that 'found' the explosives in Jimmy's apartment, there was no search warrant issued and the evidence is inadmissible. I think we can guess who planted the ‘evidence'. Perry believes that the board of directors was either bribed or coerced into the sale. Jack's going to help him get to the bottom of that. Jimmy is following up on leads provided by Nigel. We're getting close, but we need to keep Luthor distracted so that he doesn't see what is going on around him."

"Jimmy is a researcher. Instead of him following up on leads from Nigel, put him to work researching the insurance on the Planet building. Lex told me that it was under insured and that he couldn't afford to rebuild. I don't believe it for one minute."

"Sounds like a good idea. I'll get him on that right away."

Lois moved back into his arms and kissed him. "Unfortunately, I have to go. I'm supposed to tour the LNN facility. Lex promised me a job there. Undoubtedly so that he could monitor my activities and keep me distracted from what he is doing. Wish me luck."

Smiling, he said, "You are acting a part, so I think the proper term is ‘Break a leg'."

With a wry expression she said, "I wish I could break one of his."

He picked her up again and she snuggled into his arms. Then she grabbed his cape, pulling it over herself. There was a brief feeling of movement accompanied once again by vertigo. When it stopped she threw off the cape to see that she was back in the apartment.

After one final kiss, Superman disappeared.

When Lois arrived at the LNN facility, Luthor was there to greet her. He introduced her to the news director and claiming that he had a meeting to attend, left her in his care.

LNN was all bright colors and chrome, modern and sterile. Lois felt like she would gag if she had to spend too much time there.

After the tour, the news director took Lois to an office and said, "Mr. Luthor has directed that we make an office available to you. He wants you to get the feel of the place, make yourself at home. Take some time. Get to know our people. Watch how we do things around here."

Very quickly, Lois was bored and decided that a familiar face was what she needed. Picking up her bag, she dug out her address book. After looking up the number she used ‘her' desk phone to make a call.

Lois was waiting in the lobby when her guest arrived. The live feed monitors that were scattered around the facility had the image of Sandra Ellis an attractive woman in her early thirties.

As Cat walked in, Sandra was saying, "According to the latest Kelsey Survey only three per cent of American women have ever experienced ..."

The rest of what she was saying was lost on the pair as Lois greeted Cat, "Cat, thanks for coming."

Looking around, Cat asked, "What's going on?"

Lois tried to be enthusiastic as she replied, "Plenty. I've been here all afternoon."

Curious, Cat asked, "Lois, what am I doing here, exactly?"

Lois threw her arms out to encompass the facility and said, "I'm going to work here. I want you to come work here, too. We can still work together."

Cat looked at her with disbelief as she replied, "Lois, I'm a newspaper reporter, a gossip monger. I don't think they have a scandal hour on LNN."

Lois tried again, "Cat, this would be your chance to get away from Cat's Corner and start writing hard news. You'd be writing the news copy for our reporters. Or, you could be a correspondent. Look around you: it's so … modern."

Cat looked around, sniffed and said, "Sterile."

Lois argued, "Efficient."

Cat challenged, "Soulless."

Lois tried being enthusiastic, "Fast-paced."

Cat countered, "Superficial."

Lois was becoming exasperated and challenged, "Cat, where's your open mind?"

Cat looked at Lois in disbelief as she said, "I can't believe you've given up so soon ... on the Planet. Did it mean that little to you?"

Lois was shocked by this accusation and replied, "The Planet meant as much or more to me as it did to you. But it's gone. Even Lex can't put it back together again." Sounding as if she was still trying to convince herself, Lois finished, "This is good, exciting work."

Cat still wasn't buying Lois's change in attitude. She thought that she knew Lois better than that, but felt that she needed to state her case and close the issue, "There is one little thing that you apparently are forgetting. George and I are going to get married and move to Seattle."

Suddenly, Cat noticed something and in a shocked tone, asked, "Lois, is there somewhere we can go? We need to talk … in private."

Lois was surprised at this request, but accepted it for what it was. She said, "Sure. Let's go for a walk."

They exited the building and started walking. Before long they were in Centennial Park. Lois spotted an empty bench sitting at a distance from all of the others which would afford the privacy that they wanted.

Cat broke the silence, "Lois, why aren't you wearing your rings?"

Lois looked down at her left hand in surprise. She rubbed her ring finger with the fingers of her right hand. Then she looked up and said, "Clark is gone. I've decided that it's time I moved on."

"But he's just missing and presumed dead. You can't believe that he's actually dead."

Lois paused before replying and when she did, she placed a hand on Cat's arm and said, "Cat, trust me, I know what I'm doing. I can never forget Clark, but this is something that I have to do."

Cat stood and the indignation was written all over her face. "You could at least wait a decent length of time. It has only been a matter of months. What are you going to do, take Luthor up on his offer? Not only a job at LNN, but his bed as well?"

"Cat, There are things you do not understand. Things I can't talk about. I will ask only one thing, come dance at my wedding."

"What? You're not seriously considering … Luthor?"

"Cat, I know we haven't always seen eye-to-eye, but over these last few months, I like to think that we have formed a friendship. I am asking you, as my friend, come dance at my wedding."

Cat just shook her head in disbelief and said, "I'll think about it."

Lois said, "You know, Clark and I never had a real wedding. We were married by an old law on the books in Kansas. We went to a Justice of the Peace to confirm it, but we never had a formal wedding."

In an increasingly hostile tone, Cat scoffed, "So now you're going to make up for it by having a fancy wedding with Lex Luthor. Well, count me out."

Lois persisted, "Cat, things aren't always what they appear to be. Please! As my friend, I want you there. I also want you to bring George. I want you both there."

Cat was surprised at Lois's persistence and sincerity and her resolve started to waver.

In a pleading tone, Lois said, "Please, Cat, I will need you there."

The tone in Lois's voice finally won Cat over.

She was still shaking her head in bewilderment as she said, "I don't know why I'm saying this, but yeah, okay, we'll be there."

Lois threw her arms around Cat and hugged her. She sobbed, "Thank you, Cat. You won't regret it, I promise you."

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 07/03/15 12:24 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj