Print Thread
#263635 05/29/15 07:46 PM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hello all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for web comics? Two that I really like that have already been discussed more than once here are Love and Capes and JL8. The former was a superhero/romantic comedy blend written by someone who loves Lois & Clark (It is no coincidence that the comic has the initials L&C.) The latter imagines what the Justice Leaguers might have been like as kids. Unfortunately, the former has ended its run and the latter is on a hiatus of several months. (Both, however, have archives available if you wish to see back strips.)

I've just started to read The Hero Business. It's definitely snarkier than the other two, but is still a fun read.

Does anyone else have any recommendations to add to this list?

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
I've just started to read The Hero Business. It's definitely snarkier than the other two, but is still a fun read.
Thanks for the recommendation. It's really funny. I'm sorry I don't have anything for you.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Virginia,

Actually, IIRC, it was you who had originally posted a link to JL8; so consider this a return of the favour. smile Glad you're enjoying The Hero Business.

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
Love and Capes is still updating on line - I think the printed version has finished, but it looks like there's still a fair way to go with the online version.

A couple I like

Freefall web comic - http://freefall.purrsia.com
Fairly hard future SF with an intelligent bioengineered wolf as the main character - updated three times a week since 1998. Mostly played for laughs but there's an interesting story arc about the rights of sentient AIs (including the main character). A bit slow-moving, I think we're still only a couple of WEEKS into the story after 17 years!

Girl Genius - http://www.girlgeniusonline.com
Weird science in an alternate world that was shaped by "mad boys" (mad scientists) and "Sparks" (genius-level mad scientists who seem to be able to alter reality to make their gadgets work) with mechanical robots (clanks), death rays, etc.. Lots of episodes, gorgeous art and updated three times a week.

Second Empire - http://www.mechmaster.co.uk/cg-lair/daleks/secemp-index.htm
This is just awesome - a lovely CGI-illustrated web comic running to 700+ instalments but now complete, the history of the first Dalek civil war - with lots of wonderful weapons, weird technology, and more than a few references to Star Wars and other fun stuff. Keep your eyes open for things going on in the background. What it doesn't contain is The Doctor, although there are hints that he might have once existed, or has erased knowledge of himself from their records - but the Daleks consider them to be the equivalent of silly season stories! It's an amazing story and I thoroughly recommend it.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 05/30/15 05:12 AM.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the recommendations. I doubt I'd have come upon any of them on my own.

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
I <3th Darth

This one ended about ten years ago, but it's still available and still fun -- a comic take on Darth Vader and family.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Kerth
Kerth
Forgot to say that the old RSS feed for Love and Capes stopped working a couple of months ago, the new one is here:

http://loveandcapes.com/feed/

Marcus L. Rowland
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Marcus,

I hate to admit it, but I've blown a lot of free time and every lunch hour reading Freefall. I'm now up to date. Life can go on.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Shallowford
Top Banana
Top Banana
It is a hoot isn't it? There was a long period of time when they were concentrating on Florence and Dr Bowman but Sam and Helix are back so the fun can begin again!!

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Top Banana
Top Banana
One I have liked for some time is Wandering Ones by Clint Hollingsworth. It has been going on for around 10 years which is a lifetime in web comics. A post apocalyptic story of a group of Native Americans who go back to the old ways and sometimes work with and sometimes against the surviving governments. The story begins when one of the governments send a small group of their soldiers to train with the a group of the natives called the Scouts. The scouts are extremely talented in the art of tracking, camouflage, and operating without modern technology. We opposing governments find ways of neutralizing existing high tech weapons these skills come in handy. There is a bit of native mysticism thrown in. Clint says he is winding it down since he believes he has to focus on providing for his expanding family and thinks he has pretty much told the tale anyway. All 10 years are online at Wandering Ones - The Beginning

Someone might find it interesting.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Miracle of Science is a completed strip. About two cops that deal with SRMD cases (science related memetic disorder) aka mad scientist disorder.

Ginger Dupree: Girl Reporter a pulp era set story about a Lois like reporter. Chapter 1 is Cat Men from Mars.

Evil Inc. about a super villain company.

Last edited by dcarson; 06/08/15 03:29 PM.
Kerth
Kerth
Someone just pointed me at Strong Female Protaconist, which is fun but has some bad language and may not be to everyone's taste. Basically, the heroine is / was one of the most powerful superheroes of her world and more or less indestructible, but became disillusioned with life on a superhero team and battles that killed innocent bystanders, and is trying to build a more normal life. The trouble is that being a superhero is actually some sort of mutation that may eventually kill her, everyone knows who she is, supervillains keep trying to kill her, and there appears to be some sort of conspiracy going on but I haven't got far enough into it yet. It starts off black and white but later strips are in colour (but not all of them), art is variable from average to good. The wikipedia article about the strip is a good overview
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strong_Female_Protagonist

Marcus L. Rowland
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Miracle of Science was well done. I haven't gotten to all of the others on this thread yet, but I'm looking forward to them.

Shallowford
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I just caught up on Evil, Inc. Definitely a fun comic. I've added it to my "Daily Links" extensions so that when I open Chrome each morning, the latest Evil, Inc. comic will be in its own tab. (As an aside, I highly recommend Daily Links to any Chrome users who wish to open multiple tabs when you open Chrome. You can specify not only the URL for each tab, but also which weekday(s) you wish to open a particular web page. So, for example, I have Evil Inc. opening daily, but since The Hero Business only updates weekly, I have that set to open up only on Fridays.)

Joy,
Lynn

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
PS 238 about a elementary school for supers. Including one kid whose parents are very powerful so they know he must have powers even if he hasn't shown any yet. The first Issue 0 is a promo comic that is basically an ad for the school. "Making sure the next generation doesn't accidentally break too much of this generation's stuff" Issue 1 starts the actual story.

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thanks, dcarson. I just finished reading issue zero. It looks like another fun comic.

Joy,
Lynn

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I really shouldn't post things like that here. Distracts people from writing fanfic for me.

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
<chuckle> Look at the bright side: Something in one of the comics may spark an idea for a fanfic. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard