Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#264292 06/23/15 02:29 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Okay, so this might be awkward, but I consider this to be a safe space, so I thought I'd air this out here...

I've been trying to get a handle on my depression on my own for a while now. It's not obvious (I don't think), and I am for the most part able to function really well. I have periods of time where I can pull myself together and make a really good effort for a couple weeks, but I tend to just slide back later. I don't even realize it sometimes until it's happened.

I've hit a point where I realized it's not going to work just on my own.

So, since depression is actually a really prevalent issue, I thought I'd put this out there to see what advice I could get. Most people either experience depression or know someone who has in their life. And that number gets even higher when regarding creative/artistic people (in which writing is included).

I'm not asking for personal stories or any private information-- no pressure to share here unless you want to. But I'm curious to know if there's anything in particular that you or someone you know has found helpful. Any advice you could give would be appreciated. smile

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hello Mouserocks,

First, thank you for trusting us with this.

Many years ago, I read a book, "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy" by David Burns, that helped me think about some things differently. I've never been diagnosed with depression, and I don't know whether reading a book on cognitive therapy would help someone who is clinically depressed, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

Are you in a position to be able to seek professional advice?

Take care,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
I've been dealing with clinical depression since I was a teenager. I went to therapy, but what finally helped was medication (Prozac, in my case). My doctor had me try several different medications before we settled on that one. I tried going off it once when I couldn't afford it (this was before it was available as a generic drug; a 30-day supply can now be purchased at Walmart for $4.00, 3 months for $10.00) and it was disastrous, so I went back on it.

I also suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), even though I live in SoCal and the shortest days are about 10 hours long. I have a special natural light lamp that helps when the days are too overcast. I don't remember what it cost, but a good one will last for many years.

I had a therapist who recommended I keep a journal about how I felt. I hated writing about my own feelings, so I wrote fanfic instead -- it was easier to give those feelings to someone else.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Columnist
Columnist
I have suffered from depression for years and did not like the side effects that I've had from various medications. The one antidepressant I was on for years stopped working and I was put on a different one. One of the rare side effects of the new one is problems with the heart and within 4 months, guess what? In the hospital with heart problems and I am now in congestive heart failure. Needless to say with that kind of rare side effect, even though the withdrawal was awful, I went through it and am now off all antidepressants. And yet, I'm not depressed even though I'm having some major health issues.

What I found made the difference was doing a radical change to my diet. I cut out almost all refined sugars, all caffeine and cut back on carbs. I added lots of fruit and vegetables to my diet and started seeing a naturopath and am on a ton of supplements. I am gluten intolerant so had cut gluten out of my diet a few years ago.

I'm not suggesting that this will work for everyone but it has for me. I'm not perfect and do cheat on my diet from time to time but always notice a change in my mood when I do so.

Now that I'm off the antidepressants, I need to work on the heart issues. I'm waiting to see a cardiologist in July (the heart problems are fairly new) and am hoping at that time to start working on increasing my exercise which is also good to combat depression.

It's crazy. With the bad health that I'm suffering from since mid-April, I should be depressed but I'm not. I'm not happy but I know the difference between that and depression and so far so good.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Living in the Pacific Northwest, I have recently learned that, especially in the winter, I feel happier if I take vitamin D (the gummies are usually quite tasty) or spend at least 15 minutes in sunshine a day. I often feel as if I am drowning in RL, so I try to think about it as little as possible. When I go to sleep I concentrate on the next scene I have to write, trying to picture it in my mind. It helps keep thoughts away from all the things in my life I could have done differently (or others could have) or whomever has made me mad. I try not to follow politics as much as I used to because it just angers and frustrates me by all that is not being accomplished in the name of "progress". Ignorance is bliss for a reason.

I find if I stay active, I tend to be happier. I include in this my writing, because we all know I'm not checking off "walk more" from this year's Resolutions list any more than I did last year. If I spend too much time watching TV by myself (i.e. Netflix marathons), I tend to be less happy because I haven't accomplished anything. I find satisfaction in finishing tasks, whether it be a page of writing or responding to FDK (even if it's FDK of FDK of FDK from over a month ago -- Sorry, Michael, I'm trying to catch up.) or paying bills. Every little thing counts as something I can check off my to-do list. I try to take one day at a time. Live in present, instead of the future or the past. I try to appreciate what I have and not what I don't have, or probably never will have.

I tried therapy in college but after I met the man who I eventually married, they deemed me "cured" of my depression. (NOT!) When I became depressed again after the birth of my son, I told people but nobody believed me, listened to me, or offered me any help. The thing that helped me most was finding these boards and getting back into my writing again. smile I had only been giving to others. Here, I could give to myself.

What I've discovered in all the years of being depressed and lonely is that no matter how often you want someone else to rescue you from your pit of despair, sometimes you have to be the one to don the cape and be your own hero. Only YOU can make you happy. I hate to sound like a greeting card, you want to throw across the room in annoyance, but it's true. Sadly, you can't understand that advice until you actually take it yourself. YOU have to decide that you aren't going to let depression win. YOU have to find the light in the darkness. YOU. Not your family. Not your significant other. Not your children. Not your friends. Not your doctor. It doesn't always work, but it's better than living in pit waiting for a hero who will never show.

Don't let the hope die. Always look for the light in your darkness. We love you, and we'll always be here for you with open arms, if you need us. Just remember all those creatures in the shadows are probably all us lurking readers waiting for you to post your next story. wink Good luck, Mouse.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi Mouse wave

While I haven't had to deal with depression, I did work in the front offices of a mental therapy/psychiatric clinic before we had children. I really got to know the patients in those few years I worked there--witnessing the ups and downs of 'life'. My heart went out to them, just like it completely goes out to you now sloppy.

Personally, the thing I struggle with--and have always, for as long as I remember, struggled with--is worrying. About this. About that. About 'this' again blush. It's amazing just what I can worry about. And how whatever that is has changed through the years. It's completely in my nature. My mom worries. My dad worries. Completely about different things, but they both do.

And, to add some fun into the mix, I tend to be quite the perfectionist. All or nothing. Completely on board, or will not make the effort.

It's not the best mix--and it leads to more worrying about 'perfecting' whatever needs to be 'perfected' smile. (Ironically, my husband just came home with a personality test a few weeks back that had been given at work. I took it out of curiosity, and it came back stating that I worry too much--among other things, like I tend to be too particular, LOL dizzy/ shock/ huh ). Here's to knowing yourself smile.

Anyway, for me, finding something to take my mind off whatever I'm letting myself get bothered by seems to work. Finding a distraction. Something to be absorbed by. And that 'thing' for me--my go-to, complete 'ecape'--is L&C. For some reason, always, it has had the capability to totally entrall me. For the longest time it was the show...bad day, put in an episode. Bad week--start a marathon grin. Now it's the boards and these stories. The archive. FDKing.

L&C came on when I had just turned 13. The start of junior high. It was there during those teenage years. Had all my tapes in college. Watched them when I was settling into 'life' and trying to figure out what that life was. And then I had the DVD's after I was married, had our children, and we decided to move away--from everyone--to a new state for a few years. The show was always just 'there'...it was a safe place to go to, get caught up in.

While we were still out of state, when I really needed it, I found the Archive and these boards. HUGE blessing hyper. You guys were company when I really needed it most.

Now we're 'back'--living close to friends/family. Things are amazing, we are totally blessed. But...there's still things to worry about--trust me, I find them peep. There are still things to over-analyze, too. There are times when I completely crave escaping myself b/c I am too uptight.

And that's when I feel so thankful to a show that's been around and helped me through a lot of my life.

Thinking about you, Mouse. Please keep us posted on how you are doing, how things are going...
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
S
Merriwether
Online Content
Merriwether
S
People are bringing up some great points. It's really important to take care of yourself. Eating right, getting enough sleep and exercise may sound silly but they really help. They make a big difference in my life.

My 17 year old son took on a little too much last spring and started having trouble dealing with emotional issues as a result. He's doing better now that school is over but I'm concerned he'll fall into the same patterns this fall when he gets busy again. (And God knows he doesn't want to talk with his mother about this stuff.)

Of course, LMA, AnnieB and Virginia bring up the excellent point that having something you enjoy, like L&C, the boards and fanfiction, really helps too. Something to engage your mind and distract you from worries.

I would add to that list spending times with friends or family (face to face, not just electronic media) and time outdoors can be helpful too.

I would encourage you to find someone to talk to, face to face, about this - be it a friend or a professional.

I'll be praying for you, Mouse.

Joan

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Hi Mouse,

I'm not depressed, but I am a data pack-rat. Two years ago one of my immediate coworkers took an unplanned 5-month vacation and I did a little research--and of course I saved it.

I don't know if you have a family history of depression. In addition to geentics, there are a lot of physical and dietary things that can influence your mental state. For example, my coworker found he had undiagnosed diabetes. A checkup wouldn't hurt to rule those things out.

I was thinking about your last year. You've mentioned that you were working long hours on your assignments so you could graduate. A lot of lifestyle and dietary routines are disrupted by all that work. If you were a typical college student you were:

• probably not eating a balanced diet as much as usual and eating way more fast food than normal. Nothing goes with an all-nighter like Cheetos or pizza.
  • probably drinking a lot of soda.
  • probably spending less time than normal exercising and being active.
  • probably spending a lot less time outside.
  • if you would normally attend church you were probably not going as much as normal.
  • not writing to express yourself. ("Get off the Boards, Mouse.")
  • spending less time with your friends and catching up on them with social media.
  • and now you're either looking for or starting a new job.

All of these factors influence depression. None of these is a big deal, but over the last year I'l bet you got the grand slam. Many of these have been mentioned on this thread. Some links below for the left-brained to read.

Getting back to a "normal" might be as simple as getting back to a normal life but advice will help it happen more quickly. Professional advice even more. Prayers don't hurt and I'll add mine.

Fast Food and Diet
Link between fast food and depression confirmed
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120330081352.htm

Hold the diet soda? Sweetened drinks linked to depression, coffee tied to lower risk
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130108162135.htm

ScienceDaily Omega-3 Fatty Acids Affect Risk Of Depression, Inflammation
www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/03/070329092058.htm

Exercise
Exercise with a physiotherapist helps people with depression
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/06/150612091327.htm

Moderate exercise not only treats, but prevents depression
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/10/131028163003.htm

Sport, physical activity help against depression
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140916084825.htm

Light and Vitamin D
Vitamin D deficiency, depression linked in international study
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/12/141202111148.htm

Treating vitamin D deficiency may improve depression
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120625152358.htm

Low vitamin D levels, depression linked in young women, new study shows
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/03/150318145501.htm

Mood Brighteners: Light therapy gets nod as depression buster
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/mood-brighteners-light-therapy-gets-nod-depression-buster

Attitude and Religion
Studies Show 'Hope Therapy' Fights Depression
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/08/080817223648.htm

'Religiously integrated' psychotherapy is effective for depression
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/03/150331145017.htm

Recalling positive memories reverses stress-induced depression
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/06/150617134730.htm

Mindfulness-based therapy could offer an alternative to antidepressants for preventing depression relapse
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/04/150420213918.htm

Changing Thoughts Key to Battling Even Severe Depression
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100512125257.htm

Mindfulness treatment as effective as CBT for depression, anxiety
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/11/141127112755.htm

Social Media
Facebook use linked to depressive symptoms
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/04/150406144600.htm

Feelings of loneliness, depression linked to binge-watching television
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150129094341.htm

Writing
ScienceDaily Putting Feelings Into Words Produces Therapeutic Effects In The Brain
www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070622090727.htm

Other
Analgesics, anti-inflammatory drugs may have impact on depression
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/10/141021101506.htm

ScienceDaily Hypothyroidism Clearly Linked To Mood Swings
www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070604170803.htm

Music therapy reduces depression in children, adolescents
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/10/141023091841.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/03/070314195638.htm

Shallowford
Top Banana
Top Banana
Mouse, if you haven't done so already, get a complete physical. Lots of things are linked to depression, like hypothyroidism, diabetes, and PMS. Alcohol is a depressant, so if you drink it, you might want to try cutting down or stopping.

The stuff that Shallowford linked to is interesting, and to my experience, true. Do your best to eat a healthy, well-balanced diet (though I'll freely admit that this easier some days than others). Physical activity (something you enjoy, rather than something that feels like a chore) is also important. Get outside in the sun (if you still live in SoCal, that should be fairly easy, especially at this time of year, when it gets light before 5 AM and stays that way until past 8 PM).

Diet soda is all kinds of bad news -- for your mental health, for your bones, for your weight -- and should be limited or avoided altogether. Regular soda is slightly better, especially if it contains actual sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup, but too much of that isn't good for you, either. Water is good for you, and tap water in this country is generally safe and reasonably cheap.

Also, chocolate can be a good thing. smile

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks everybody for your helpful thoughts and advice! Don't worry, I just went on vacation in Portland for a week to visit family, I didn't mean to post "I'm-depressed" and then drop off the face of the earth. goofy wave

A lot of check marks here for me. The only good thing I've spotted is that I don't drink soda and never have (blech for carbonation). I do have a LOT of depression in my family, on both sides, which is part of why it's hard to come forward with it. I have a bit of OCD and perfectionist issues to boot... I am just trying to find the new normal (and looking for work) and keep a right balance. I should go to the doctor for a checkup, but I also have a paralyzing fear of doctors... so I'll put it on the to-do list. grin Again, thanks everybody! I'll keep you posted... and keep writing of course. thumbsup

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Mouserocks
The only good thing I've spotted is that I don't drink soda and never have (blech for carbonation).
Someone else who doesn't like carbonation?! Awesome! I thought I was the only one.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Not a depression sufferer here, but my husband is. A few things that seem to help:

1) The right mix of medications.
2) Exercise and eating better. Which is a constant struggle. Especially now that we're both wiped out by the time the kids go to bed.
3) Getting enough sleep. Sometimes he'll go to be really early (like right after the kids fall asleep) and wake up in the morning in a much better mood.
4) A hobby that makes him happy. Doesn't matter what it is - playing a video game or reading a book. (During our infertility battle, I would take my worst "IF Days" and write fanfic. It helped my mood considerably.)
5) Sunlight.
6) A good talk therapist, as well as his "meds guy." (I went with him to a few appointments in the thick of our IVF journey and while I'm not a huge fan of it myself, I know it helped Chris out a lot.)
7) Finding fun things to do, even if you don't want to. Laughter is good for you.

I hope you've feeling better, Mouse! Know that we will always be here for you!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Top Banana
Top Banana
I learned recently that some medications can negatively affect mood (and not just the usual suspects, like benzodiazepines or other mood-altering drugs).

I was having a problem with frequent nausea, so I went to my doctor, who diagnosed it as GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) and prescribed Prilosec (Omeprazole). This drug is generally regarded as safe and has a high level of effectiveness.

Well, it didn't work for me, but I did notice, as the weeks passed, that my mood was getting lower and lower, until finally I got to the point where I really couldn't function (my boss made me go home and take care of myself instead of trying to tough it out on the students' graduation day).

I thought my antidepressant had stopped working, so I called my insurance company and got a list of psychiatrists who took my insurance. I managed to get an appointment, but not for almost a month, so I went to my regular doctor.

My regular doctor admitted to not knowing much about psychiatric medicine, but she gave me a prescription for Ativan (lorezepam, a benzo that I take very seldom because I'd rather not risk getting dependent on it) and told me to stop taking the Prilosec, which causes a rare neurological reaction in some people that includes anxiety and depression. (I'd already quit taking it after reading about that side effect, and also after realizing that I'd had so many migraines that I'd gone through half of a large bottle of Excedrin Migraine in 2 months).

It's been almost a month, and though I'm still not 100%, I'm a whole lot better. I'm still going to see the psychiatrist, but getting off the Prilosec helped.

In short, if you have a sudden problem with depression, or a sudden worsening of an existing problem, check the side effects of any medications you're taking. Sometimes they have unexpected side effects.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Annie,

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm sorry you've been having these difficulties, but it was good that you were able to figure out what was happening.

Have you tried Ranitidine for your reflux? Do you know whether that would have a similar, negative side effect?

Feel better,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Annie, thanks for the info about this drug. I heard that it could cause kidney problems, too, but not about the depression. I do feel better off it than off (knowing both of those things). I hope you'll be feeling better too. Also, don't take too much of that migraine medicines because ibuprofen can cause ulcers sending you back onto the prilosec. Vicious circle caused by the drug companies and doctors who don't inform patients of the risks. (Thanks, Doc.)

*steps off soapbox*

Mouse, I hope you're doing better too. We haven't heard from you in a while. We miss you! *sends out happy thoughts*

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I occasionally take Ranitidine (my mom takes it, so she gave me a bottle of OTC strength). I'm cautious with it, since some people do report depression as a side effect.

What seems to help most is, believe it or not, ginger. I take two 550 mg capsules a half hour to an hour before a meal and it makes eating easier. It's pretty safe, too, having been used both in food and folk medicine for probably thousands of years. I don't like eating it straight, not even candied, so I swallow a couple of gelatin capsules of the stuff. (I don't mind ginger snaps, though, and I tried some non-alcoholic ginger beer at a Chinese restaurant and it wasn't bad.) I also ordered a product called Iberogast from Amazon (it's been in use in Europe for decades) and have been drinking 20 drops 3 times a day mixed with something that tastes better (I favor Hawaiian punch or Kool-Aid; yes, I'm still a kid at heart). Iberogast tends to build up effectiveness with treatment, according to the studies I read, so I'm giving it some time to see how well it works.

For migraines, I use a combination aspirin-caffeine-acetaminophen combination, plus a drug called Nauzene for the upset stomach. Aspirin can irritate the stomach and acetaminophen can damage the liver, so I don't like using too much of it. I'm glad not to have as many of the migraines (none would be best), and I've also been going to a chiropractor, which can help migraines in some people (I haven't had a migraine in the two weeks since I started going to the chiropractor, which I'm choosing to take as a good sign.) I did find that sever migraine pain can be reduced (though not eliminated) by chewing on a really hot chili. There's a wild chili plant in my yard that has fruit pretty much year round. I don't where it came from, but one chili does the trick (I don't know if it somehow kills the pain or just distracts me because my mouth is on fire, but it works).

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard