Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hello!

Its been awhile since my last post. I started writing the wedding and reception, at first nothing I wrote really interested me, it was beginning to feel like Countermeasures all over again! Thankfully I broke through the block and wrote something that will please a few readers.

My beta team: Andreia, MikeM and KenJ were super patient and helpful as always! Special thanks to Sydney for finding all the great clothes! She is also responsible for helping me in my research of how to get married in France. Magnifique!

Oh yes, there will be an Epilogue.

Comments can be made here!

Abrihet's gown Is the one to the furthest right. Perfect for a former dancer!

Bernie and Clark's tuxedo

Lois wedding outfit

Last edited by Morgana; 06/13/15 11:22 PM. Reason: Add a link

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Kerth
Kerth
What a beautiful wedding! I love that you put those two characters together - Bernie deserves to be happy. A magical story. smile

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Posted! Great!

party

Special thanks to Sydney for finding all the great clothes! She is also responsible for helping me in my research of how to get married in France. Magnifique!

It was a pleasure!

wave

Sydney

Non ! non, c’est bien plus beau lorsque c’est inutile !
(Edmond Rostand)
Top Banana
Top Banana
I loved all of the details of the wedding. Obviously much research went into this.

I especially loved this part
Bernie bent down and whispered in his wife’s ear, “Es-tu prete, Ma cherie?” (Ready, my darling?)

Abrihet looked up at him, a radiant smile showed brilliant white teeth, how one’s heart could contain such happiness! “Oui!” Was her only reply. Gathering the skirt of her dress, they took to the floor in their first dance as husband and wife, a charming, flawlessly executed waltz. Seeing how graceful Abrihet was surprised no one. But to watch her new mate glide across the floor like a latter day Fred Astaire was something of a shock to the guests from America. Especially the Kents who had no idea he would dance at his reception, much less waltz!

“Wow! Talk about impressive!” Lois turned to a middle-aged woman, one of Abrihet’s colleagues and said, “Madame Allaire, were you aware that Bernie could dance so well? How long have they been practicing?” Lois asked.

Great chapter. I can't wait until the next one...

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Groobie

What a beautiful wedding! I love that you put those two characters together - Bernie deserves to be happy. A magical story. smile

When I wrote A Lovely Smile years ago which introduced us to Abrihet Senai, someone said the same thing. So glad you enjoyed it. Bernie and Abrihet are perfect together! love

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I love the way you put so much detail into this story. You did a lot of research, and it shows.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Sydney

Without your guidance this would have been very different and wildly inaccurate. Thanks for all the help. Especially with your busy work schedule!

The Epilogue is coming up.

Morgana

Features Writer
Features Writer
Lovely story. The love stories were very delicately crafted, and the details were, as always in your stories, meticulously placed, which helps make the world feel so real and three-dimensional. There were a lot of angles in this story, a lot of different characters that had their own plots and character-arcs, and all of it was handled very deftly. A very compelling story all around. It was interesting to delve into a few of the repercussions of Lois having powers and being a superhero with Clark; that would be quite the change in their lifestyles, and would give some difficulties to their secret identities. What I found most interesting was the idea of a rock that could neutralize the effects of the Kryptonite -- what is it? It was intimated that it came from Krypton, so did it just get a different kind of radiation? How far does its effects last? Obviously, you don't need much of it, since they are both only wearing small rings, so it's fascinating that it's at least on an even par with the Kryptonite. I like that Klein was so careful about the effects of it, and that he took seriously what the consequences could be of exposing the Kents with this X-element.

Besides that, I love that Jimmy was getting ready to propose to Lucy, and that he was able to face Lois calmly. It's nice that Clark didn't feel threatened by Lois taking over his superhero turf, and of course, he was definitely in-character by insisting he be the one to be exposed to the strange rock first.

You know I'm not as big a fan of Lex as you are, but I thought it was really believable that coming face to face with his own faults reflected back on him from a more powerful person would cause him to second-guess himself and take a long look at where he was. I still don't entirely trust him, but it was nice to see that, just as Clark always believes, there is still a kernel of redemption in everyone.

Great story, Morgana! So glad you managed to write this series even with all the distractions RL offers you!

Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
MikeM

I loved all of the details of the wedding. Obviously much research went into this.

I especially loved this part
Quote:

Bernie bent down and whispered in his wife’s ear, “Es-tu prete, Ma cherie?” (Ready, my darling?)

Abrihet looked up at him, a radiant smile showed brilliant white teeth, how one’s heart could contain such happiness! “Oui!” Was her only reply. Gathering the skirt of her dress, they took to the floor in their first dance as husband and wife, a charming, flawlessly executed waltz. Seeing how graceful Abrihet was surprised no one. But to watch her new mate glide across the floor like a latter day Fred Astaire was something of a shock to the guests from America. Especially the Kents who had no idea he would dance at his reception, much less waltz!

“Wow! Talk about impressive!” Lois turned to a middle-aged woman, one of Abrihet’s colleagues and said, “Madame Allaire, were you aware that Bernie could dance so well? How long have they been practicing?” Lois asked.

Ooh, this part took literally months to write. There was a tremendous amount of material about getting married in Paris, but I also had to let people know a little bit about Nigerian wedding ceremonies and their customs.

Keeping in mind Bernie is always presented as being a little klutzy, yet sweet I thought dancing the waltz would be a nice way to introduce the new and improved Bernie! It turned out a lot better than what was previously written. Good thing too, because I wasn't even sure there would be a reception!

Epilogue to come!

Last edited by Morgana; 06/13/15 03:33 PM. Reason: Additional comments

Morgana

Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
AnnieB

I love the way you put so much detail into this story. You did a lot of research, and it shows.

I have attended several weddings over the years, the ones that have been the most fun and the most memorable were kept simple and easy.

Coming from you, this is a high compliment indeed! Panem is so well researched I wanted to make sure this story had the same attention to detail. Of course KenJ's swordfight and Sydney's knowledge of France in general and Paris marital law made a huge difference.

Morgana

Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Anti-Kryptonite

Hello! wave

Whew! Speaking of busy you have been as well! Please see below:

Lovely story. The love stories were very delicately crafted, and the details were, as always in your stories, meticulously placed, which helps make the world feel so real and three-dimensional. There were a lot of angles in this story, a lot of different characters that had their own plots and character-arcs, and all of it was handled very deftly. A very compelling story all around. It was interesting to delve into a few of the repercussions of Lois having powers and being a superhero with Clark; that would be quite the change in their lifestyles, and would give some difficulties to their secret identities. What I found most interesting was the idea of a rock that could neutralize the effects of the Kryptonite -- what is it? It was intimated that it came from Krypton, so did it just get a different kind of radiation? How far does its effects last? Obviously, you don't need much of it, since they are both only wearing small rings, so it's fascinating that it's at least on an even par with the Kryptonite. I like that Klein was so careful about the effects of it, and that he took seriously what the consequences could be of exposing the Kents with this X-element.

Yes, several love stories were here; Lois and Clark, newly married Abrihet and Bernie newlyweds and Lucy and James newly engaged. Aykira and Lex? Wait until you read the epilogue.

Each couple faced challenges; Lois and Clark were dealing with thwarting the machinations of an unseen enemy, while Abrihet and Bernie had to pull together a wedding, new accommodations and going from being a transatlantic dating couple to life as husband and wife on one continent. We won’t go into the fact that they were trying to help their closest discover a cure for a deadly mineral that could kill them if exposed long enough.

Quite a lot to squeeze into five chapters!

Regarding Mineral X it is from Earth and yes only a small amount is needed to protect Superman and UltraWoman. It will be their secret weapon, known only to themselves, the Kleins and of course Martha and Jonathan.

Will Jor-El and other members of Kal-El’s family be informed? Eventually, right now, Bernie is trying to learn more about this mysterious metal.

Besides that, I love that Jimmy was getting ready to propose to Lucy, and that he was able to face Lois calmly. It's nice that Clark didn't feel threatened by Lois taking over his superhero turf, and of course, he was definitely in-character by insisting he be the one to be exposed to the strange rock first.

Jimmy or rather I should say James has grown a great deal and although Lois will be his sister-in-law, he has no intention of being intimidated by her. After all, can you imagine Lucy dating much less marrying a man that was afraid of her sister?

Clark knows from her previous experiences his wife can handle the duties of being UltraWoman, especially when she has him as a support.

Of course he was going to expose himself first to Mineral X, he is a gentleman and desperately wants to protect his wife!

You know I'm not as big a fan of Lex as you are, but I thought it was really believable that coming face to face with his own faults reflected back on him from a more powerful person would cause him to second-guess himself and take a long look at where he was. I still don't entirely trust him, but it was nice to see that, just as Clark always believes, there is still a kernel of redemption in everyone.

In the first story I wanted to portray Lex as a cockroach who only wanted to please himself. But once he is forcibly taken to New Krypton and has time to think about his deeds he begins to change.

Seeing a reflection of himself in the First Lord is a very good point and will be addressed in the epilogue. Jor-El has experienced much more than Lex ever has and has not allowed it to destroy his moral center.

Great story, Morgana! So glad you managed to write this series even with all the distractions RL offers you!

Thank you! notworthy Everyone in this fandom have busy lives, so its nice to come here and relax for awhile.

Morgana

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
blush Lookie there. Just in time after the next part got posted. I do seem to be making a habit out of it blush

THE PLEASURE OF YOUR COMPANIONSHIP IS
REQUESTED AT THE MARRIAGE UNITING
So, this the wedding episode, then?
ROBB STARK: help

Before leaving Metropolis he had taken it to Lazar’s Jeweler’s to be professionally cleaned and set expressly for this occasion.
Yeah, that would have been embarrassing, had he arrived late because of the watch.
CLARK: Shouldn’t we get going?
BERNIE: /checks watch/ Nah, we still got 7 hours till the wedding…
…one hour later…
CLARK: Umm…Bernie, that was Lois on the phone…She seemed ticked off. Are you *sure* that it’s late morning and not late afternoon?

ne would be very much appreciated, like a perfectly balanced medieval blade forged from intriguing metals.
[Linked Image]
(you mean like ‘Oathkeeper’)?

Bernie stepped out of the neatly arranged bedroom that in a few hours he would *finally* be sharing with Abrihet
LOIS: Let’s hope their love isn’t cursed, too. razz

It was even a surprise to me that you and Kuma are not considered the Best Man and Maid of Honor, but simply ‘official’ witnesses to the ceremony. Abrihet and I won’t be legally married until you two sign the certified document.”
He should thank the Seven that at least they got rid of the practice of requiring proof of consummation by having the official witnesses…well…witness…

We had to wear black robes and have a silken fabric wrapped around our wrists to legalize our marriage on New Krypton.
/gets distracted/ I really should get back to “The Man Who Would Be King”…

“One of these days he’ll ask her to marry him. But I don’t think it will be anytime this year.”

Looking a little confused Bernie said, “Actually, James called before we left. He wanted some suggestions as to how he should propose to his lady.
Oops?

“Could you keep such happy news from your wife?
To be fair, he kept Superman hidden from Lois for years.
LOIS: mad

“How does one wear une œuvre d'art? (A work of art)

“Put the skirt on first, shoes and then the sheath jacket.” Lois said with a shrug.

“Are you quite certain?” Abrihet responded.

Looking over a sheet of paper, Lois answered with a giggle, “These are the instructions Jarawu put in with the gown.”
clap Also, just like the supersuits laugh

“He wanted to get you an ugly letter opener in the shape of a sword called the cutlass.
laugh

Kuma sighed, “Surely you wouldn’t take the letter opener over this jewelry?”

Abrihet shrugged,
Good thing the cutlass is also in the pile?

but as to be expected of scientists, they quickly recovered from the aesthetics and began discussing the mathematics of creating the building. Eventually they found their seats, but pulled out their calculators to re-check their mental calculations.
rotflol

“It doesn’t hurt that this restaurant had a wedding reception set for today, but at the last minute the couple decided to get married in Cannes instead.”
clap

The quartet had assembled at the far end of the room and played classical music gently in the background
The Rains of Castamere? I’ve heard it’s a classic at highborn wedding receptions.

“Abrihet tells me he was quite resistant at first. Nonetheless, he wanted to be able to share this part of her passion … the dance. As we can see the results are magnifique!
Well…he got a dancing instructor with a penchant for sharp objects. That should motivate any man.

Dancing would teach him how to hold a person using just the precise amount of strength.
So Lois should probably thank Abrihet for being his Mrs. Robinson? peep

Thank goodness for our ‘high’ metabolism! Otherwise we would have to run for at least a month to work off the calories!
Well…*some* form of exercise, at least [Linked Image]
LOIS: What do you think I was referring to with ‘high metabolism’? [Linked Image]

Clark said, “This particular wedding cake is called the croquembouche a tower of cream-filled, puff-pastry balls that was piled into a high pyramid and encircled with caramelized sugar.
Have you ever watched Gilmore Girls? Don’t remember which episode contained the croquembouche, though.

I can tell you right now, we needed six months to pull off our wedding!” Clark said with a generous laugh.
CANON LOIS: razz

“The dress code strictly forbids clothing.” Her husband said with a wickedly delicious gleam in his eye.
[Linked Image] Superman! What are the people going to think when they read *that* story in the Digger!

Nicely done wedding. Although, there wasn’t at even one death and Dothraki consider any wedding with less than three dead a very dull affair wink

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard