EPILOGUE

PARIS: MIDNIGHT

Bernie took his new wife’s hand and together they exited the toasty, happy atmosphere of *Maison Blanche* and into the chilly October night. Avenue Montaigne, a mythical axis with great fashion houses near the Champs-Elysées avenue and the river Seine, boasted many trees that were still laden with leaves decorated in the height of autumn fashion. The neighborhood which at different times had seen famous designers would have it no other way. Pedestrians of all walks of life took notice of the attractive couple as they stood waiting; the older men tipped their hats while ladies of a certain age smiled knowing at them.

The stars above that had witnessed the lives of Galileo, Copernicus and Armstrong shone brightly overhead against the blackness of infinity. The Kleins were quietly overwhelmed by the city of lights as they looked up at the Eiffel Tower glittering above as if to assure them; now was the time for lovers.

He wrapped his arms protectively around Abrihet as she shivered ever so slightly while they waited for the limousine to pull up. Her gown, as beautiful as it was for the wedding ceremony and reception was ill suited for the sudden temperature drop they were experiencing. A gust of wind lifted her veil and caressed her face; in the light of the streetlamp she looked mysterious and very, very lovely. Every inch the Nigerian princess and beloved friend. He touched the veil, ready to lift it off and touch her lips with a kiss, when some of the guests exiting the restaurant called out congratulations. They came over and surrounded them; some of the women kissed Abrihet on both cheeks and the men enthusiastically shook Bernie’s hand.

Just as another round of guests approached, their car pulled up soundlessly beside them. The driver jumped out, stepped around and opened the door allowing them to enter the sleek and spacious vehicle. As soon as the chauffer hopped in they were about to kiss but they were prevented when the driver started expressing apologies and congratulations. He was talking so much the privacy partition was never closed. They wanted to be alone, intimate with one another, but the driver refused to be quiet.

The kiss – not a public one – but one that would express how deeply they felt about each other would have to wait. They exchanged bemused glances and with so many feelings running through them they both began to laugh and tears of joy ran down their cheeks.

One adventure had ended, a lifetime of others fervently beckoned. For these two scientists, marriage was no longer a theory to be randomly guessed at, but a reality to be explored.

Abrihet laid her head on her husband’s shoulder; she slipped her left hand into Bernard’s and gave it a tiny squeeze, he returned it with an answering pressure mimicking her own. The golden metal of her engagement ring and wedding band felt comfortable and right together. She closed her eyes and breathed in the scents around them, hints of Bernard’s masculine cologne, a not unpleasant aroma of freshly cleaned leather from the seats and her own perfume, the classic Parisienne’s signature; Chanel No.5.

What a delirious elixir! What a perfect nuit (night)!

She smiled seductively to herself; the nuit was only just beginning.

It took scant minutes to reach Bernie’s apartment. Once again the driver stepped out and smartly opened the door. Bernie slipped a small envelope out of his jacket pocket and placed it in the man’s hand. Blessedly silent, he smiled and bowed, wishing the newlyweds felicitations, got back into the limousine and sped off.

The Kleins paid no attention; they hurried into the building as quickly as Abrihet’s strappy white sandals allowed and eagerly walked up the stairs to their apartment. It was the work of a moment to unlock and open the door. Abrihet was about to walk in when she felt Bernard’s hand gently lay on her shoulder, he whispered delicate words into her ear and like an innocent schoolgirl, she blushed. Seconds later, her feet dangled prettily in the air as Bernie lifted her up and carried this much desired woman over the threshold of their Paris home.

Nervous giggles filled the air as Bernie closed the heavy metal and wood door with a firm kick of his foot; it locked with a satisfying click.

His footsteps mingled with the laughter as he walked through the living room, but he did not stop until he reached the bedroom. They had decorated the room as a joint project, although Abrihet added a few definitely feminine touches, such as the large mirror. It was a fun exercise; a way for the two of them to work together that was outside of the laboratory. By sticking to cool colors for everything in the space from bedding accessories to wall accents such as dark teal, charcoal and neutral tones, when Bernie came home from a lecture that was trying he could escape to a serene place. Now he was holding Abrihet in his arms, she could share this oasis with him.

He gently let her glide from his embrace and let her feet touch the floor. The resonance of amusement slipped away like cool water over stones in a small brook, only to be replaced by heated words of love and passion as Abrihet swiftly removed Bernie’s black tie from around his collar, opened the buttons and laid her hands on his chest. Carefully, he lifted the white veil from her head and felt the long black braids.

No more barriers, interruptions or hesitation, they kissed with a hunger and desire they had denied themselves for far too long ….
Suddenly flirty white fabric edged with cream, mingled with sober black broadcloth on the upholstered teal bench at the foot of large, comfortable welcoming bed.

Bernard and Abrihet Klein were finally at home, at night, together.

SOMEWHERE IN THE PACIFIC OCEAN

Ultra Woman and Superman flew with ease over the Pacific Ocean to their tiny island getaway, named Kandor after the famous city on Old Krypton. It was about noon there, the dazzling sunlight caused the white, sandy beaches to shimmer brightly, as if welcoming the unique couple to the island. A Wandering Tattler with its long beak was seen moving over the beach in search of a noon meal. The air felt crisp and clear, moving ever so gentle with the tropical winds, carrying with it the sounds of the island

Clark held back, permitting Lois to land first, he hoped she liked the special present he and friends and now a few family members from New Krypton had built. With a gentleness which belied the strength she possessed, Lois feet touched down on the sand. She walked just beyond the shore and entered the dense thicket of foliage which had concealed the simple but serviceable hut she and Clark inhabited during their infrequent visits. Rather than seeing the bamboo supports and palm covered roof, surrounded by a garden of tropical trees and plants instead at the base of a jungle covered hill sat a beautiful, spacious bungalow, with large picture windows that allowed copious amounts of sunlight to wash over the rooms, while keeping out the tropical winds which sometimes made accomplishing simple tasks ‘tricky’.

“Oh my!” She whispered in shocked surprise.

He came up behind her, wrapped his arms around her waist and said, “Welcome to our second Honeymoon, Mrs. Kent.”

They entered the house, Lois walked through each room, it was a tropical island retreat without the prepackaged feel of a hotel.
The double doors leading off the patio permitted quick passage between the kitchen and the patio, making for relaxing mornings cozied up outdoors with a generous cup of Oolong tea and Clark’s yummy blueberry scones. The kitchen was spacious, paired with neutral granite countertops with deep-hued cabinetry to create a classic, transitional look. In the center of the kitchen was an island, hewed from planks of old barn wood and topped with granite, this piece, Lois suspected could have been crafted by no one else except Jonathan Kent. The floor was of wood, but the ‘feel’ was different from any earthly wood Lois had ever seen or touched.

The master bedroom faced the eastern side of the island, allowing them to see the sun peek over the horizon each morning. A large ceiling palm fan turned lazily overhead, not that they would need to worry about the temperature, but it was a nice touch just the same.

In the center of the room was an elegantly appointed large four-poster bed, draped in exotic, colorful fabrics. The walls were painted a soothing ocean blue, which nicely matched the vaulted ceiling with exposed wood beams. Again, the wood’s grain and greenish red hues spoke of something not of this Earth.

“Lois, honey, do you like it?” He asked nervously.

She turned to see her husband’s face, a mixture of bemusement and concern; she couldn’t help but gush, “This place is amazing! How did you build it? When?”

Looking a little sheepish Clark said, “I had some help from my family and friends from New Krypton. My brother Yar-El is quite the adventurous architect, he came up with the plans, and many of the materials are from the El Collective. I asked Dad if he could build an island for the kitchen. He and Mom really like the place.”

“Wait a second, Jonathan and Martha have been here?”

“Yeah, I wanted them to enjoy a little quiet time on Kandor, especially since the weather is good for their joints. They stayed about a week, after everyone else went back to New Krypton.”

Looking around the bungalow Lois could now appreciate how special and precious this place would become for them all, a getaway to recharge after spending long hours at work or on rescues. This island, with its well constructed bungalow, would be a perfect, secluded place for a unique family on vacation.

“This was very kind of Jor-El. I have to thank him and everyone else the next time we go to New Krypton.” She said softly.

Clark drew his wife to him and they sat down together on the edge of the bed. “Jor-El wanted to make this a safe and *private* place for all of us to meet as a blended family. Eventually, especially in Smallville, the El family’s presence would be noticeable. It’s also a form of apology.”

A puzzled expression crossed Lois’ face. “An apology?”

“Yes, he’s sorry for the rather high-handed way he treated the Luthor situation, trusting in ancient Kryptonian law rather than Earth’s. Apparently our former nemesis has made a number of personality changes since being sent to New Krypton. Jor-El is giving him his freedom …”

“Lex is coming back to Earth?” Lois asked a little taken aback

“No, that’s one thing my father will never consent to. He is in exile, but will have free roam of the planet and additional duties. Jor-El wouldn’t elaborate as to what those duties might be.”

Lois nodded, considering how tight lipped the First Lord became whenever Lex’s name was mentioned this was a change indeed. Perhaps his eldest son’s gentleness was beginning to rub off on him? Those thoughts could be revisited when they returned to Metropolis, right now she wanted to spent time alone with her handsome husband.

Slipping her fingers into his hair she whispered, “Speaking of rules Mr. Kent, don’t you think it’s time we follow the *rules* of Kandor?”

The rumble of his deep voice filled her ear, “Oh and what rules might that be?”

Her brown eyes fairly danced with mischief, as she rubbed his broad chest. “Oh, you know, the one which strictly *forbids* clothes, there’s a white, sandy beach with a sparkling blue ocean in front of our bungalow that’s too beautiful to resist. Let’s go skinny dipping!”

He wrapped his arm around her supple waist and pulled her completely onto the bed. “Okay, we can go in a minute ….” He said as their lips met.

Only their senses went swimming….

NEW KRYPTON: OM COLLECTIVE

Lex-Er sat on a grassy hill, his back leaning against the equivalent of what on Earth could only be described as a majestic oak tree. The strong deceptive scores in the tree’s bark rubbed comfortably against his back. It was the breezy part of the day; he gazed over the fields of gently waving grain, lavender tinted heads fit to burst, ripe for harvesting. The glare of the red sun cast an unusual light, but as with everything else on this planet, he was growing accustomed to the differences from Terra. He was contemplating the jagged course of his life and how the numerous regrets were heaped up like mismatched stones in a deep water filled quarry.

Instead of luxuriating in the privileges and power of being the third richest man on planet Earth, he was now, thanks to turning in Dru-Zod and his followers, something altogether different. As of yesterday Jor-El had changed his status within Kryptonian society. No longer a criminal, he was now officially the house steward to the Om Collective. Vax-Om was greatly pleased, knowing the trust he had placed in the Terran had been rewarded. A man whose total personal wealth amounted to less than what Aykira Milan made the entire time she worked in Kansas City. Yet and still that man’s trust was more valued than all the other high-powered executives and political leaders he had worked with in the past.

A year ago he would have considered this an intolerable state of affairs, indeed on some levels of his mind it still was. But as they say, ‘that was then, this is now’.

Still despite the strange alteration in his life he was content here, as much as a man could be living on a world where he would always have to wear a special suit of armor when going outdoors. Oh, there had been improvements to his gear. Now he could move about without wearing a facemask and breather, but that was only for a few hours each day. Perhaps someday Jor-El and his band of engineers and geneticists would find a way for a Terran to survive on New Krypton without all the fuss of special clothing and living quarters.

He knew that such a technological feat would never occur in his lifetime.

Nonetheless, life here was not as bleak and boring as it had been when he first ‘arrived’. Since drawing closer to Vax-Om and his family, he had started to develop a few friendships, especially after his actions against Zod and his followers had been made public.

Being around families, large, happy noisy ones, he contemplated the chance he missed of having a family of his own. To be with a woman who could not only share his dreams, but have ambitions of her own. Not the simpering models, actresses and social climbers he had known on Earth, they were only takers – parasites. Not the kind of people who appreciated the importance of having someone to converse with at the end of the day.

In this regard he sorely envied Vax-Om, his wife Eyner may not possess the greatest of looks, but her kind heart, razor sharp mind and culinary skill were much appreciated by his benefactor.

What woman in her right mind – Kryptonian or Terran - would put up with living in what amounted to a perfectly decorated ‘bomb shelter’?
Aykira, her name slipped into his thoughts like a gentle hand into a kidskin glove. If there was any woman who had stood up to him, it was her. Twice she had proven her quality in vastly different arenas. Years ago he royally botched the opportunity to get closer to her, what a stupid, stupid mistake.

As he mused on these thoughts, he sensed a subtle shift in the air patterns and turned to see Jor-El walking up the hill ... alone. On the few instances since that rainy night in his office, Jor-El has always been accompanied by a guard, what made today different? As always the First Lord’s face was unreadable as the back end of a stevedore’s shovel.

Tense moments passed as Jor-El drew closer, another surprise, he was wearing worker’s coveralls. Apparently he had come straight from his own collective’s fields; harvest time puts its demands on everyone, commoner and nobleman alike.

When Jor-El reached Lex-Er, he felt the other man’s scrutiny while he studied his son’s former nemesis as if he were looking at an extraordinary and challenging new life form. Without preamble he spoke with that quietly deceptive whisper, the one that caused the hairs on the back of Lex-Er’s neck to rise ever so slightly. “Vax-Om said you could be found in this isolated place.”

Without looking up Lex-Er said, “Yes. Now that my movements are no longer controlled by Dru-Zod, I come here to think about things.”

Jor-El nodded gravely then did something completely out of the norm; he sat on the ground and arm’s length away from Lex-Er. “It is your right, especially after informing me of Zod’s plans.”

“I did not inform you until it was almost too late. Surely that counts against me?”

The First Lord did not answer, for a time all that could be heard on the hill was the sound of the wind blowing over the crops. Finally he spoke, “Recognizing where your loyalties lay is important. But you spoke when the time was right. If you had done so sooner, keeping quiet would have been difficult.”

Silence came over the two men as Jor-El’s word sunk into his mind. Rather than allowing the quiet to stretch out Lex-Er said, “The trial ended this morning. What were the results?”

If it were possible, the impassive face became even more masklike. Again he spoke in that maddening calm voice, “Once the final verdict was announced, Dru-Zod and all of his followers were executed shortly thereafter. As you Terrans say, ‘Mission Accomplished’.”

Lex-Er nodded, he did not expect anything less from the council. He said with a tiny trace of dry wit, “Careful Jor-El, after all that is a Terran saying.”

“Using such phases are bound to happen, especially since my eldest son was raised on Terra, is married to a Terran woman and soon his ties to her will be even stronger.”

“You mean …?”

“Just so.” The First Lord said the mask persona alleviated itself with a hint of a smile and a nod.

“Lois Lane-Kent will handle this latest development as she has with everything in her life …with grace and composure. You have my congratulations sir.” Abruptly he changed the subject. “What of Aykira Milan? She might be aware of who Superman truly is.”

Again time stretched out as Jor-El seemed to contemplate his next words. Finally he spoke, “The woman Aykira Milan – she is of importance to you?”

“Yes. Why do you ask? Do you think she will be of some *use* to you?”

Jor-El turned and gestured to the winding path leading up the hill. “Ask her yourself.”

Lex-Er turned and following the same path through the field that Jor-El had taken, saw a figure clad in gray armor walking up the hill. Despite the armor he knew her body’s movements as one would know the movements of a valued and trusted ally or a dangerous opponent.
Panic welled up in him like a cold spring. Lex-Er looked hard at Jor-El. He knew the man was capable of many things, but this was an act of cruelty beyond locking him in a cell with that madman, Dru-Zod.

“Is Aykira to be banished here as well? I am ready to pay for the crimes I committed on my homeworld *and* for attempting to murder your son. But this woman does not deserve such a fate. Send her home I … I beg you.” At this last, his voice unexpectedly cracked.

Jor-El sighed, “Exile Aykira Milan on New Krypton? I should think not. No, she is an honorable woman, like my wife and daughter-in-law.”

“But … but why is she here?” Lex’s voice trailed off.

“I am not completely without feelings Lex-Er. You need a friend, one who thoroughly understands Terran customs and speaks your language. As such she has free access to New Krypton.” Jor-El hesitated, and then spoke again, his voice earnest. “In our time on Terra, Josca and I realized how many items our world lacks. When we came here we brought much with us, but much was lost. Ms. Milan has access to resources my son does not.”

Picking up the threads of Jor-El’s thoughts, Lex said. “Are you speaking a our two worlds setting up a trade agreement?”

For the first time in their acquaintance Lex-Er noted a hint of amusement in the other man’s voice. “Precisely right, you are as ever the businessman. It will be several years before your world will learn of our existence, yet I believe we can assist one another. We can also provide certain items for Terra … in a limited quantity of course. New Krypton is still building a business and manufacturing infrastructure. Ms. Milan will need some assistance, as liaison with her you could discuss which items Terra might want in trade. Naturally, this work would not interfere with your duties to the Om Collective?”

Lex released the breath he had been holding, relieved to know she would be free to pursue her life on Earth and still return to New Krypton to work with him. He stood straighter, the task before him with all its myriad challenges was invigorating. “I will strive to make sure it does not.”

“Good. Now I believe it is time for me to return to the El Collective, otherwise Josca will chide me for not doing *my* share of the harvesting.” Jor-El stood and dusted off the seat of his coveralls.

“My Lord, something puzzles me, in the past you have always seen me with at least one guard, today there are none. Why is that? Surely you did not believe I could harm you in that cell?”

Jor-El tilted his head in that maddeningly angular way of his, silver-blue eyes gleaming like a stately bird of prey studying its next victim. “When we met for the first time you were a well-respected captain of industry. That title did not give you the experience I have borne as a leader and a warrior. Sometimes – even now the role of warrior eclipses the man I once was. It is a constant struggle.”

Looking out over the fields of the collective Lex-Er nodded agreement. “True, I do not have the experience you have, but I can learn. By your own decision Terra –Earth – is lost to me. New Krypton is to be my home and through my working to continually maintain your confidence, it will no longer be a prison.”

The First Lord did not look at Lex-Er, but his words were chilling nonetheless. “Never betray my new found trust in you Lex-Er; otherwise the warrior will appear. To answer your question, the guard was not there to protect me from you, but to protect you from me. Until today, I did not trust myself from blasting you from existence.”

With that, the First Lord of New Krypton turned and walked down the hill, leaving an utterly perplexed Lex-Er staring after him. Aykira nodded to the First Lord when they passed each other, Jor-El stopped, spoke to her for a moment, looked back at Lex-Er, fixing him with an appraising stare and then resumed his walk.

Lex-Er’s eyes never left Aykira’s form as she steadily worked her way towards him. Words, so many words came to his mind and were rapidly discarded. They were inadequate to express his profound relief.
Years before guided by his sheer physical attraction, he tried to maneuver her into becoming his lover. Failing that, he exiled her to the back ends of LexCorp. Now *he* was the one in exile striving to prove his worth.

How ironic.

Their roles were now reversed; she was LexCorp’s leader and he the subordinate. Considering the circumstances, he wouldn’t have it any other way.

Now she walked towards him, her expression unreadable. When she stood no more than five feet away, he spoke. “Aykira, it is good to see you.”

A perfectly tweezed eyebrow arched upward and then she said in a moderate scolding tone. “You almost didn’t. Being stabbed with my own sword is not a laughing matter – regardless of the circumstances.”

“It was the only way to save your life.” He said quietly.

“Since that day, I’ve been a little reluctant to take up the sword again. My fencing master is not too thrilled with me. But given time, I expect to be back on my mark.”

He smirked, “There is little doubt that a minor wound could stop you.”

Aykira did not respond, only cocked an eyebrow and said, “Can we sit down? I’m still getting used to wearing this armor and quite frankly, it tires me. Besides, we need to talk.”

Lex-Er nodded, despite the fact that Zara had healed Aykira he was concerned about a mental wound from their swordfight, theirs was a complex history – injuring her, no matter what the reason only added another tally in the negative column. He decided to change the conversation to something they were both comfortable with, a discussion of LexCorp. He was eager to know what was happening with the company he had built. They sat down at the space he and Jor-El had recently vacated.

The change of subject proved to be a good idea. Aykira visibly relaxed as she updated him on some projects that were in various stages of development before his departure. Some had finished, others were on hold and two had been stopped completely when it was discovered how meager the results were after pouring millions into them. Lex-Er discovered her decisions were strong and fiscally responsible, decisions he would have made himself. He was about to say as much when her voice cut through his thoughts.

“Vince Zeleski was the right choice for the Marketing Director position.” Aykira stated flatly.

“Excuse me?” Momentarily taken aback by the abrupt change of subject. He was reluctant, even embarrassed to be drawn into this discussion, but he knew they had to face their past if there was any hope of them working together in the future.

She continued, “Vince had the contacts, experience and first-hand knowledge of all the key people in marketing. He was the best person to put in the director slot, not me. Even today, he is an invaluable member of the board.”

Surprised, he looked at her, “Zeleski is on the board of directors?”

“Yes when I was asked to take on the position of CEO, there was the small matter of the board’s integrity; four members had to resign or were terminated, they are all serving prison sentences or awaiting trial.”

Lex-Er, his mouth set in a hard line nodded grimly, she did not have to name who they were. The men happily shared in the fruits of the underworld activities of ‘the Boss’.

“Vince turned that division around. My being ‘sent’ to Kansas City was the best thing for me. I learned how to run a business from top to bottom. Not the textbook kind of experience that I learned at Wharton, but how to deal with union people and finding the best way to recycle a product without harming the environment. Those years taught me how to work at a higher level, without losing touch with people. Although being exiled is not the way I would have wanted. In the end the shareholders were willing to ask me to come back and it is most gratifying to know I am now the right ‘fit’ as the CEO of MetroCorp.”

“*Metro*Corp?” Lex said in disbelief.

She shrugged, notwithstanding the armor’s weight, the movement was an graceful one. “It was the best name. Lex, the original was tainted, as a corporate entity it had to be done. Besides the corporation did *start* in Metropolis. I always wondered why you didn’t move everything to New York City once LexCorp was established.”

“As you said, New Troy and Metropolis … was *once* my home.”

Hearing the pain in his voice, Aykira’s tone became softer, her eyelashes fluttered and the exhalation that escaped her body was filled with sadness. “I wish life on Earth had worked out differently for you.”

He dreaded saying the next words, yet they lay between them, like an architect renowned for creating soaring edifices who due to hard times must now build the meanest of dwellings. So he must build a new truth between them. “I … I wish I could return with you … ” The words hung in the air and then he continued, “perhaps if I had met a woman with fine hazel eyes years ago …”

There were a lot of things she wanted to say to Lex Luthor and she wasn’t going to let his contrition change her mind. Not unkindly she said, “Four years ago you tried to seduce me and when that did not work, you had me exiled to Kansas City.”

He nodded, she had every right to state the facts, but it hurt to understand finally the hubris of his actions.

“The next time we met you were wearing this suit and at the orders of a madman tried to kill me.” Shaking her head she continued, “Not the best way or most romantic path to a relationship.”

“Jor-El will never allow your return to Earth. As for me being what you once wanted me to be, I …I doubt that is possible. My family, friends and everything I love are on Earth, I cannot give up my entire existence there to be your lover here. There would be … complications.”

Lex-Er sighed mentally, the disappointment stuck him like a shaft of hot metal, he should have realized this would happen. He felt a hand on his shoulder; the touch was kind and regardless of the armor, warm.

“Could you be satisfied having me as a good friend?” Aykira said wistfully.

For an answer, Lex-Er placed his hand on hers. The armor, no matter how fine a mesh was a barrier to their flesh joining. But it was of no consequence. Now was a time to contemplate and perhaps to dream. A gentle breeze stirred the air as the grain swayed to and fro. Together they sat in silence watching the red sun make its lazy descent below the horizon.

The End

Last edited by Morgana; 06/28/15 08:57 PM. Reason: Additional comments

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.