Print Thread
#264426 06/27/15 02:02 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
So, is it WAFFy then?

TOC

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
Top Banana
Top Banana
KK,
Shades of the door slamming at the end of L&C's first date. Clark definitely sees Lois in her. Her description of Lois' cooking attempts had me in stitches. Especially the chocolate cake concrete block. I loved it all.

Thanks for putting this together.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by KatherineKent
So, is it WAFFy then?
No. No. All that complicated court room battle over the apartment made me dizzy. wink Yes. Very waffy. I liked the homey, cooking scene. Very enjoyable and fun.

I'm so glad that Lauren came back to force Clark to pamper to her every need... I mean, to visit her Aunt Lois's apartment. So, she's just like Lois, only she can cook.

"So … tell me about Lois then." Clark was torn. Lauren probably needed to talk about her best friend. Plus there was a desperate need, inside Clark, to reconnect with Lois … to strengthen his memories of her, but he also dreaded being overwhelmed by emotion. Still he'd asked, so he waited for Lauren to reply.
I'm so glad Clark now has someone with who he can talk about Lois. Only he can't, since she doesn't know that he knew her. Hmmmm. How would Lauren feel if she fell for Clark and THEN found out he's the same man her Aunt was obsessing over? I mean, once she knew he was Superman, it would make some sense, but at the same time that might be weird for her. Just another hurdle for this couple, if they decide to make their friendship into dating territory. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

"Sounds like you babble, too." Clark teased, finally opening his eyes and looking at her.
Red flag, Lauren! How does this stranger know that Aunt Lois used to babble?

"There were so many Aunts and Uncles and Great Aunts and so on. Grandpappy was an only child but Grandma's second … well first husband really, as she never had chance to marry daddy's father - that's why my last name is still Lane - came from a very big family. But Aunt Lois was everyone's favourite.
I'm lost. I thought that Lauren was Lucy's granddaughter. Am I wrong? Did Sam have another daughter along the line? Or did Lucy have a daughter out of wedlock before she married? Is she saying that Lucy had a son out of wedlock and then married (another man) but didn't have any more children, yet there were many aunts and uncles? huh I got a bit lost here.

"Everyone loved her." Lauren sighed.
So, when Lauren says that they're opposites, does she think nobody in the family loves her? frown Or am I reading too much into this? Or is she just talking about the cooking angle?

But Aunt Lois was everyone's favourite. She had so much love to give, to everyone. I asked her about it once. She said that Clark had taught her to love. He'd also taught her the value of friendship, and family, and making sure you never regretted your actions … or your in-action. I try to be just like her." Lauren paused and her lips trembled. "But I'm not. I regret everything." Her voice was so shaky filled with tears. "I never told her how much she meant to me, and I never told her I loved this place." She paused again. "I never told her I loved her."

Clark took Lauren's body into his arms. Neither did I, he thought. At least, not when she believed me, or wanted to hear it.
Cue: Clark's crying with regret. Lois lived because Clark taught her how to love.

"I think I'm going to start visiting just for your hugs, Clark, and not only to remember Aunt Lois," she chuckled quietly.
He'd have a line out the door if he offered them for free... well, out the door and down the block and across the country...

"Stay. Lauren, I've made enough for at least three people. I would have just frozen the left-overs." Clark quietened his voice. "Please. Stay, and have dinner with me."
Liar! You would have just eaten it all, Clark. Admit it.

Lauren immediately walked over to the refrigerator and pulled open the door. "Do you have any mascarpone?" she asked while reaching in and pulling out some milk and some butter.
rotflol This made me laugh. That's not something just ANYONE has on hand.

"Sounds great … but I do have ice cream, or maple syrup, or even some merengue, and we could do an Eton Mess."
Have no idea what that is, but it sounds yummy.

Does he want Aunt Lois to cook, because her method is particularly disorganised and I can tell you that not a single thing she ever makes is edible and …"

She suddenly stopped. Clark's amused face, and quiet chuckles had done nothing to stem her babbling, but when she began mentioning Lois … and using present tense, rather than past, he knew his face had changed. Possibly the shock, or the pain, or … something … was showing, because Lauren clearly realised what she'd been saying at that moment.
So hard to think of someone you love in the past tense. mecry

Clark took his fruit to the other side of the kitchen and made sure his body hid the surreptitious use of his speed. Pretty soon there was a bowl full of diced pineapple, sliced apple and kiwi, orange segments, grapes and cherries.
Clark! SHE'S right there! And she's a food editor, which means she knows you can't cut up fruit that quickly without a little help from a man from Krypton. What are you thinking?!

He resumed setting the table and wondered if his memories of Lois would ever result in the same. Surely there would come a time when his heart would not ache, like it was pierced by an arrow, at the thought of her. Surely, fifty years of parental memories were stronger than two years of friendship. And if that pain could fade, then surely this pain would too.
It's a different kind of ache, Clark.

"It's okay, Clark. It's another OCD thing. I have to clean up in the kitchen immediately after I'm done with something. Mostly because I can't start any cooking if there is mess, so I then spend ages tidying up, and have no energy left for whatever I want to bake. So I just make sure the kitchen is always tidy."
Nah. It's not OCD. It's what they drill into you at culinary school. My hubby's the same way.

"The coffees!" Lauren was looking at him with wide eyes and her hand covering her mouth once more. It seemed to be an instinctive movement for her. She dropped her hand and Clark saw her smiling. "We forgot them. Aww, they'll be cold."

"Uh, no. I'll go look, but I'm sure they will be fine." Clark strode into the living area with the ice-cream and a spoon. Placing them on the table he then lowered his glasses and sent a little dart of heat into each mug. "It's okay," he called to Lauren, then straightened up as if to show that he'd been checking with his hands. "The mugs are quite good, heat retaining, you know."
Clark, your cape is showing.

Clark reached behind him and flicked on a lamp, not wanting to move from his cross-legged position facing Lauren, with the bowl in between. He put his spoon back in the bowl, fishing out some pineapple and ice-cream. As he brought it back to his mouth he looked up. Lauren was staring at the lamp behind him. She opened her mouth, then closed it. She dropped her spoon back in the bowl and looked at her wrist, checking the gold watch inherited from her Aunt.
Oh, no. Clark, what did you do to freak her out? Did you levitate a bit to reach the lamp?

"I don't mind. You can stay, if you'd like." Clark tried not to sound desperate and lonely.

"I think … I'd like to stay … and that's why I have to go." She turned, opened the door, and was gone again.
Eeep! She likes you, Clark. It's the equivalent of Lois slamming the door in your face on your first date. Wait, this Clark didn't get that experience, did he? What's going to happen next?!

grumble I hate waiting.

I'm surprised no-one found my hidden message and commented on it ... or are you keeping it to yourself?
Um.... I think I missed it. I'll have to double check. blush

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
The last line was perfect - I definitely felt that emotion she was feeling. It's not too hard to start falling for Clark Kent. wink It's gonna be weird, though, when she discovers his secret and his connection to Lois...waiting to see where you're going to take their relationship.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I really enjoyed this part, KK hyper...

There are so many strong emotions--them both missing Lois so much, both (I'm assuming Lauren is, also) lonely, and both of them feeling something quite immediately for the stranger in front of them. I love how you are weaving all of this feeling into the piece, creating such need between them.

I'm so curious to read more. I'm hoping they get together because they really feel to me to be an excellent match. But I'm worried about when everything comes out--that Clark IS Superman, he IS the man that Lois always spoke of. It's such a unique situation, I'm really spinning a lot of scenarios in my head.

Wonderful job!
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Mike M
KK,
Shades of the door slamming at the end of L&C's first date.
I think someone else said that, too!

Clark definitely sees Lois in her. Her description of Lois' cooking attempts had me in stitches. Especially the chocolate cake concrete block. I loved it all.

Thanks for putting this together.

Mike
Thanks smile

Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Originally Posted by KatherineKent
So, is it WAFFy then?
No. No. All that complicated court room battle over the apartment made me dizzy. wink Yes. Very waffy. I liked the homey, cooking scene. Very enjoyable and fun.
LOL Thanks.

I'm so glad that Lauren came back to force Clark to pamper to her every need... I mean, to visit her Aunt Lois's apartment. So, she's just like Lois, only she can cook.
Yup. Pamper to her every need!

I'm so glad Clark now has someone with who he can talk about Lois. Only he can't, since she doesn't know that he knew her. Hmmmm. How would Lauren feel if she fell for Clark and THEN found out he's the same man her Aunt was obsessing over?
Hmmmm *whistles innocently*

I mean, once she knew he was Superman, it would make some sense, but at the same time that might be weird for her. Just another hurdle for this couple, if they decide to make their friendship into dating territory. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
Just a little ahead of yourself ... just a little.

"Sounds like you babble, too." Clark teased, finally opening his eyes and looking at her.
Red flag, Lauren! How does this stranger know that Aunt Lois used to babble?
She accused Clark of babbling like her Aunt earlier. It's not going to give him away.

"There were so many Aunts and Uncles and Great Aunts and so on. Grandpappy was an only child but Grandma's second … well first husband really, as she never had chance to marry daddy's father - that's why my last name is still Lane - came from a very big family. But Aunt Lois was everyone's favourite.
I'm lost. I thought that Lauren was Lucy's granddaughter. Am I wrong? Did Sam have another daughter along the line? Or did Lucy have a daughter out of wedlock before she married? Is she saying that Lucy had a son out of wedlock and then married (another man) but didn't have any more children, yet there were many aunts and uncles? huh I got a bit lost here.
Lauren is Lucy's granddaughter. Lauren's father was Lucy's first child, but Lucy never married as the man died early in the pregnancy, before the birth, and so her father was named Lane on the birth certificate. That lead to Lauren still having Lane as a surname. Lucy did marry after that, and had more children, and that husband also had many brothers and sisters. Lauren got a little confused in her monologue. Her 'living' grandfather was Lucy's first and only husband, but Lauren's biological grandfather came earlier in the time-line so she thinks of him as Lucy's 'first', but he never married her.

"Everyone loved her." Lauren sighed.
So, when Lauren says that they're opposites, does she think nobody in the family loves her? frown Or am I reading too much into this? Or is she just talking about the cooking angle?
There are many facets of her life that she compares herself to Lois in, and sometimes thinks that they are completely alike, and sometimes opposite. I don't think she was comparing herself in this way, though.

Cue: Clark's crying with regret. Lois lived because Clark taught her how to love.
Yup.

"I think I'm going to start visiting just for your hugs, Clark, and not only to remember Aunt Lois," she chuckled quietly.
He'd have a line out the door if he offered them for free... well, out the door and down the block and across the country...
Oh yes.

"Stay. Lauren, I've made enough for at least three people. I would have just frozen the left-overs." Clark quietened his voice. "Please. Stay, and have dinner with me."
Liar! You would have just eaten it all, Clark. Admit it.
LOL

Lauren immediately walked over to the refrigerator and pulled open the door. "Do you have any mascarpone?" she asked while reaching in and pulling out some milk and some butter.
rotflol This made me laugh. That's not something just ANYONE has on hand.
*grin* But Lauren wouldn't think that!

"Sounds great … but I do have ice cream, or maple syrup, or even some merengue, and we could do an Eton Mess."
Have no idea what that is, but it sounds yummy.
Technically it is a mixture of strawberries (or any fruit), whipped cream and crumbled up meringue, but you can add dessert sauces (chocolate, toffee, maple etc), or crumbled up biscuit, or sponge ... etc

So hard to think of someone you love in the past tense. mecry
mecry

Clark! SHE'S right there! And she's a food editor, which means she knows you can't cut up fruit that quickly without a little help from a man from Krypton. What are you thinking?!
He's not! Thinking, that is. But he's hoping that she'll be engrossed in her job enough, and he didn't go SUPER speed, just fast!

It's a different kind of ache, Clark.
I think he might realise that soon. But he might also have a 'soothe' for the ache!

Nah. It's not OCD. It's what they drill into you at culinary school. My hubby's the same way.
Oh yeah, but it doesn't mean that a trained person will act the same at home. My dad is a handyman/electrician/mechanic but our house and car were NEVER mended. What Lauren meant is that the OCD makes her do it home too ... in EVERY circumstance, even if she'd only had a snack on a small plate.

Clark, your cape is showing.
LOL

Oh, no. Clark, what did you do to freak her out? Did you levitate a bit to reach the lamp?
Nope. His action of turning to put the light on, because of how dark it had gotten, made her realise the time and how long she had stayed.

Eeep! She likes you, Clark. It's the equivalent of Lois slamming the door in your face on your first date. Wait, this Clark didn't get that experience, did he? What's going to happen next?!
Um ... you don't really find out what happened NEXT. The start of the next chapter moves us forward in time and leaves you to imagine their growing relationship.

grumble I hate waiting.
Not much longer.

I'm surprised no-one found my hidden message and commented on it ... or are you keeping it to yourself?
Um.... I think I missed it. I'll have to double check. blush
grin I hid it really well. I was going to use spoiler tags, but they are completely obvious.

Originally Posted by groobie
The last line was perfect - I definitely felt that emotion she was feeling. It's not too hard to start falling for Clark Kent. wink It's gonna be weird, though, when she discovers his secret and his connection to Lois...waiting to see where you're going to take their relationship.
Thanks. It could be very weird when she finds out

Originally Posted by LMA
I really enjoyed this part, KK hyper...

There are so many strong emotions--them both missing Lois so much, both (I'm assuming Lauren is, also) lonely, and both of them feeling something quite immediately for the stranger in front of them. I love how you are weaving all of this feeling into the piece, creating such need between them.
Thanks. Yes Lauren is lonely too. It's not that she has no friends or social life (a-la Lois season 1), she does, but Aunt Lois was her best friend, and where she was happiest. The rest of her life, while nice, doesn't fill her the same.

I'm so curious to read more. I'm hoping they get together because they really feel to me to be an excellent match. But I'm worried about when everything comes out--that Clark IS Superman, he IS the man that Lois always spoke of. It's such a unique situation, I'm really spinning a lot of scenarios in my head.

Wonderful job!
Laura
Ooooh. Spinning scenarios! I do that with other author's stories that are posting, left at a particular point. I spend all week continuing the story in my head, wondering where they are taking it.

Next part coming soon.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard