Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
As L. White says, dead on its own is used quite regularly. Throughout the UK, I think. But pure dead brilliant is a complete phrase in itself. The only other adjective I can ever recall being associated with it is, "She's pure dead gallus, so she is." Gallus being Glaswegian for cocky, confident, full of oneself.

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 05/31/15 09:30 AM. Reason: typo

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Fascinating. So "pure dead" is similar to "drop dead" in that it is very limited in what it can modify.

"Dead tired" is a common phrase in the U.S., as is "dead wrong," but I can't think of other instances of "dead" being used as an intensifier over here.

Joy,
Lynn

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Originally Posted by LabRat
LabRat, what do you think?

That's an interesting question. Because, here's the thing... Now that we're linking series on the Archive, it occurred to me that we might also link challenge stories. If a reader has read one story response to a challenge they might be interested in reading how other authors tackled the same premise.

Lauren agreed, so I will shortly be mining various sources to identify challenge stories to be linked. And once I have that basic list, as with series, I'll post and ask for your help to identify more.

So, shorter answer - send them in separately and we'll link them together once they've been uploaded. thumbsup

LabRat smile

Great idea! When I first started reading stories on the Archive I used the random story link. I eventually came across a "plot untwist" story and wanted to read more but had a hard time finding them. Granted, I didn't realize then that I could have found the stories on the board, but why shouldn't things be easy for the newbies?

Shallowford
Kerth
Kerth
Here's a new one from me. smile
The Showgirl's Tale

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Top Banana
Top Banana
Here's my contribution:

The Psychic's Tale

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Not sure if it counts (Henderson was slightly more than the minor characters people have been using), but I submit to you, Henderson's tale: Questionable Evidence.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
Not sure if it counts (Henderson was slightly more than the minor characters people have been using), but I submit to you, Henderson's tale: Questionable Evidence.
Thanks, Annie. I'll add it to the list. smile

Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
I was going to ask you, DC, if you wanted to submit it for the challenge, because I thought it fit the bill. Glad to think you did too. smile1

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Cool, thanks, Virginia!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Two more stories were added to our list of now 10 (or is over 10) stories in the Canterbury Tales of Metropolis Challenge! Good job, everyone! Keep 'em coming.

Both Lynn S.M. and cuidadora gifted us again. Lynn with Jack's Story and cuidadora with The First Lady's Tale.

Enjoy!

Please let me know if I've missed anyone's tale. I had a rough and spacy July and couldn't check the boards every day. I would hate to have not added anyone's story who should be on the list. I'm keeping a running tally on the top-most post for this challenge (page 1), so please let me know if someone's story should be there and isn't. Thank you.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'd like to offer up Incognito since it features not one, but two minor characters, even though it doesn't *exactly* have Clark/Superman in it. But the implication is clear...

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Clark Kent wasn't as careful with his secret identity as he thought he was, because here's another tale of another person's (people's) revelation:

This I'll Defend by Deadly Chakram

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ah, knew I forgot to update something! Thanks, Virginia! smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
And yet another story for the challenge: The Panhandler's Tale (1/1).

Joy,
Lynn

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard