#264393 06/27/15 12:49 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Please enjoy my bleak thoughts. goofy

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
You've brought tears to my cheeks, DC. This is a parent's hardest decision. You bring out Lara and Jor-El's pain and agony over this choice that they made for Kal, but also their hope for his future. They are optimistic for that, even if they can't be for themselves. So sad.

Perhaps you should do a sequel featuring Martha and Jonathan about their prayers for a child being answered. That might help turn your bleak thoughts to a happier path. Hugs.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
You've brought tears to my cheeks, DC. This is a parent's hardest decision. You bring out Lara and Jor-El's pain and agony over this choice that they made for Kal, but also their hope for his future. They are optimistic for that, even if they can't be for themselves. So sad.

Perhaps you should do a sequel featuring Martha and Jonathan about their prayers for a child being answered. That might help turn your bleak thoughts to a happier path. Hugs.

Thank you! I swear, I'm not actually in a bleak place or anything. Just, apparently, with this fic. I do like the idea of a companion piece. I'll ruminate on it. (I'm trying to get a couple WIPs back in action.)

Thanks for reading!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
Beautiful! As much love as they have for their son, knowing this desperate chance is his best hope for life, sending Kal off into the unknown would have been so painful for his parents. Knowing you'll be dead soon and will never know what happened to him, wondering if the choice you made in sending him away was the right one. I agree with Virginia - I'd love to see a companion piece from Jonathan and Martha's perspectives.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by groobie
Beautiful! As much love as they have for their son, knowing this desperate chance is his best hope for life, sending Kal off into the unknown would have been so painful for his parents. Knowing you'll be dead soon and will never know what happened to him, wondering if the choice you made in sending him away was the right one. I agree with Virginia - I'd love to see a companion piece from Jonathan and Martha's perspectives.

Thank you! I could easily see how it would the be hardest and easiest decision to make. Hard to let him go, easy to save his life. I think the not knowing who would be the one to raise him would be gut wrenching though. For all the Jonathans and Marthas out there, there are some truly awful people too.

I'm definitely keeping a companion piece in mind, if the muse strikes.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That's why we are still here, rather than with the floating palace. Your father, the Chief Elder, felt it was his duty to stay and attempt to find a solution to the quakes which constantly rock the planet now. He felt it his responsibility to try to convince those who had stayed here, rather than going with the palace, to evacuate Krypton. None have listened, including me. I could not leave him behind and you were not yet born when the band of colonists left the planet. We've heard no word from them, and I fear the worst has happened.

This explains fully why Jor-El and Lara did not save themselves. They were a selfless couple to the last, thinking of others rather than their own needs. We can see Clark got that particular quality in abundance.

Your eyes lock with mine and you smile at me. It's almost more than I can bear. It nearly unmakes me and melts my solid will.

I thought Lara's words were painful to read, this line from Jor-El side just about did me in. For their sacrifice, Earth has won a great deal.

When its Kerth time, you get my vote.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Morgana
That's why we are still here, rather than with the floating palace. Your father, the Chief Elder, felt it was his duty to stay and attempt to find a solution to the quakes which constantly rock the planet now. He felt it his responsibility to try to convince those who had stayed here, rather than going with the palace, to evacuate Krypton. None have listened, including me. I could not leave him behind and you were not yet born when the band of colonists left the planet. We've heard no word from them, and I fear the worst has happened.

This explains fully why Jor-El and Lara did not save themselves. They were a selfless couple to the last, thinking of others rather than their own needs. We can see Clark got that particular quality in abundance.

Your eyes lock with mine and you smile at me. It's almost more than I can bear. It nearly unmakes me and melts my solid will.

I thought Lara's words were painful to read, this line from Jor-El side just about did me in. For their sacrifice, Earth has won a great deal.

When its Kerth time, you get my vote.

Thank you! I am humbled by the high praise!

I liked the idea of Jor-El as the Chief Elder for two reasons. 1) It explains how Clark could be of high enough status to wed Zara, the heir to the throne. (Clark is only considered the leader so long as his marriage to Zara is intact, as per canon.) 2) It explains how Trey the bumbler could have ever had achieved Chief Elder status. (Someone better died and he was runner up.)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Beautiful/sad/heart-warming all in one, DC smile...

I love how your pieces really make me think. I've never--besides bits from the series--really thought that much about Clark's biological parents. The pain, the loss, and the unknown of sending your son out into space. But knowing there is no other way. No other option. How conflicting, but also, in the end, not really at all.

A Martha and Jonathan piece is an excellent idea. One set of parents saying goodbye...the other saying hello.

Amazing job!
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by LMA
Beautiful/sad/heart-warming all in one, DC smile...

I love how your pieces really make me think. I've never--besides bits from the series--really thought that much about Clark's biological parents. The pain, the loss, and the unknown of sending your son out into space. But knowing there is no other way. No other option. How conflicting, but also, in the end, not really at all.

A Martha and Jonathan piece is an excellent idea. One set of parents saying goodbye...the other saying hello.

Amazing job!
Laura

Thank you, Laura! Glad you liked it. It was hard to write because of the subject matter, but easy too, because saving their child is what any parent would do.

I've put the request for a companion piece with my muse, but she wants to try a get a few WIPs done. There's no reasoning with her sometimes. *sigh*

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard