Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#264354 06/26/15 02:06 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, it certainly was fun popping into Henderson's brain for a bit!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I love how you worked through Henderson's thought process as he goes through the evidence. Yes, there was plenty lacking in this case, especially the body.

Henderson's joy at realizing he figured out Clark's secret before Lois did was delightful. He knew it was wrong to be so gleeful at such a somber moment, but it was too difficult to resist! clap

Yes, losing Clark and yet knowing he's not dead, but nor can be revived easily, must be very frustrating.

You did an excellent job of keeping a story with such dark beginnings lighthearted throughout. Very enjoyable.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wonderful job! smile

It was so interesting seeing Henderson go bit by bit, piece by piece, and put the puzzle together. You wrote it up so realistically--the thought process--that I could really see how he could come to the conclusion all on his own. The lack of blood (huge clue), but also the condition of the bullets (great thought process), etc.

I loved how Henderson didn't come to his conclusion from the physical resemblence btw Clark/Superman, but that that point was made secondary.

And I found it really gratifying that he was able to understand Clark's predicament--feel for him--and know what is/isn't in his place to do.

Great!
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 06/26/15 04:48 AM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
I love how you worked through Henderson's thought process as he goes through the evidence. Yes, there was plenty lacking in this case, especially the body.

Henderson's joy at realizing he figured out Clark's secret before Lois did was delightful. He knew it was wrong to be so gleeful at such a somber moment, but it was too difficult to resist! clap

Yes, losing Clark and yet knowing he's not dead, but nor can be revived easily, must be very frustrating.

You did an excellent job of keeping a story with such dark beginnings lighthearted throughout. Very enjoyable.

Thank you, Virginia! wave

I'm glad you liked it. It was a lot of fun to do this one - it's unlike anything else I've really done, in the fact that it's written from the POV of a rather minor (though loved in fanfic) character.

I love that you loved his glee at knowing he's "one-upped" Lois. Truthfully, I almost took it out after writing it, not knowing if it felt appropriate, but I couldn't resist keeping it in. I think it needed that lighter note.

Thanks for reading!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by LMA
Wonderful job! smile

It was so interesting seeing Henderson go bit by bit, piece by piece, and put the puzzle together. You wrote it up so realistically--the thought process--that I could really see how he could come to the conclusion all on his own. The lack of blood (huge clue), but also the condition of the bullets (great thought process), etc.

I loved how Henderson didn't come to his conclusion from the physical resemblence btw Clark/Superman, but that that point was made secondary.

And I found it really gratifying that he was able to understand Clark's predicament--feel for him--and know what is/isn't in his place to do.

Great!
Laura

Hi, Laura!

Glad you liked it! It was fun to put myself in Henderson's shoes, and look at the lack of evidence surrounding the murder. I've never really seen it done before, where the lack of blood has caused Lois, or anyone else, to start wondering why that is. I'm sure there are some out there, but I don't think I've really come across any.

And it was fun to really take the evidence as a starting point, only to eventually get around to the resemblance between Clark and Superman. It felt like a natural progression to me.

Thanks for reading!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Features Writer
Features Writer
What a delightful story! I also love how Inspector Henderson followed his routine procedure and used his investigation skills to follow the clues AND came to the right conclusions. Shows why he's earned his position as Inspector.

Her grief tonight was in earnest. She was truly heartbroken.

But that means....

She doesn't know.

Ha! She doesn't know! Ha! Ha!

It seems cruel to laugh at her expense, especially now, when she is so clearly broken up over her best friend's death. But you have to admit, it is rather funny that a world class, respected, award-winning journalist could work alongside Superman every single day for how long now? Two years? A little longer? Two and a half, maybe? How could she not see it? The Lois I know is always so observant and shrewd in the way she analyzes every one and everything. To miss something this huge...

notworthy Perfect placement! Breaks up the tension at just the right place.

The only fanfic I'm familiar with where someone comes to a similar answer is Lynn M.'s Save Me, Superman

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Henderson is an investigator. Better than Lois hands down. He is also a first responder, not an easy profession even on the best of days.

He is as much a brother in blue to me as any of the other men and women that I work with on a daily basis. He is a friend, more so because he is Clark Kent, than anything else. And so, I will never let on that I know his secret.

That takes courage and class!

I will never think of him as a 'flatfoot' ever again. Kudos DC for bringing him to life! notworthy

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by cuidadora
What a delightful story! I also love how Inspector Henderson followed his routine procedure and used his investigation skills to follow the clues AND came to the right conclusions. Shows why he's earned his position as Inspector.

Her grief tonight was in earnest. She was truly heartbroken.

But that means....

She doesn't know.

Ha! She doesn't know! Ha! Ha!

It seems cruel to laugh at her expense, especially now, when she is so clearly broken up over her best friend's death. But you have to admit, it is rather funny that a world class, respected, award-winning journalist could work alongside Superman every single day for how long now? Two years? A little longer? Two and a half, maybe? How could she not see it? The Lois I know is always so observant and shrewd in the way she analyzes every one and everything. To miss something this huge...

notworthy Perfect placement! Breaks up the tension at just the right place.

The only fanfic I'm familiar with where someone comes to a similar answer is Lynn M.'s Save Me, Superman

Thanks for reading! Glad you enjoyed it, and Henderson's little moment of levity and laughter. I'm really glad I kept that little bit in!

Thanks for the fic link. I'll have to check it out.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Morgana
Henderson is an investigator. Better than Lois hands down. He is also a first responder, not an easy profession even on the best of days.

He is as much a brother in blue to me as any of the other men and women that I work with on a daily basis. He is a friend, more so because he is Clark Kent, than anything else. And so, I will never let on that I know his secret.

That takes courage and class!

I will never think of him as a 'flatfoot' ever again. Kudos DC for bringing him to life! notworthy

Thank you for reading! Glad I could add some character depth for you. It was fun to root around in his brain for a while. He's always struck me as a classy guy.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Kerth
Kerth
Great story. I always believed that Henderson knew Clark's secret, but was a good guy and could understand the importance of preserving the secret. It absolutely makes sense that this is where he'd first put two and two together. The lack of blood is a total giveaway. And you have to give him the quick laugh at Lois' expense! laugh

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by groobie
Great story. I always believed that Henderson knew Clark's secret, but was a good guy and could understand the importance of preserving the secret. It absolutely makes sense that this is where he'd first put two and two together. The lack of blood is a total giveaway. And you have to give him the quick laugh at Lois' expense! laugh

Thank you! I never really thought that Henderson knew/didn't know. (I think we could have seen more of their interactions.) But the fact that when Clark is "resurrected" at the end of TOGoM, it's shrugged off as no big deal, IS sort of telling. (Either that, or they are just so used to Metropolis being the epicenter of weirdness that they just don't question things anymore.)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I always knew Henderson was one smart cookie, and had a softer heart than he liked to let on.

Well done, and quite plausible. The lack of blood on the scene should be a -- pardon the pun -- dead giveaway to any detective or investigator worth their salt.

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., I have seen the lack of blood play an important part of another story -- not Lynn M.'s (who, just to make things perfectly clear, is not me). Unfortunately, I can't recall where I had seen it. Probably one of Tank's annual TOGoM stories.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
I always knew Henderson was one smart cookie, and had a softer heart than he liked to let on.

Well done, and quite plausible. The lack of blood on the scene should be a -- pardon the pun -- dead giveaway to any detective or investigator worth their salt.

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., I have seen the lack of blood play an important part of another story -- not Lynn M.'s (who, just to make things perfectly clear, is not me). Unfortunately, I can't recall where I had seen it. Probably one of Tank's annual TOGoM stories.

Thank you, Lynn! Glad you enjoyed it.

You're probably right that it's a Tank story. There are so many to choose from! smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Vicki!

that I was glad to see someone who appeared to be considerably less reckless paired up with Lois, hoping that he could ground her a bit and keep her safe.
Or, at least, hole her up on a lonesome island in the Pacific?

I joked back asking if he'd picked up Kent for jay-walking or something - the man was of such high character that it was hard to imagine him doing anything wrong at all.
Like exposing himself in public or damaging public property?

No blood. No slick red trail leading from the spot where Clark's body had landed to where it would have been thrown into a getaway vehicle. No tell-tale drops of congealing red, turning black as they dried, to speak of the man's sacrifice.
Maybe it’s because it was on a show too early in the evening? No blood before 9 or something of the sort?

It was as though they had been shot into something that resisted them, refusing them the ability to penetrate the man's vulnerable flesh.
What if Superman had supersped in there, stayed just long enough to catch the bullets and then taken off again?

More importantly, I know, without any doubt, that Clark would never, ever protect himself like that if Lois couldn't.
What if Lois didn’t need a vest because she’s carrying Superman’s lovechild and his Kryptonian aura had already started to develop, protecting her from worldly harm? That way, only Clark would need to wear a vest?

Even the poorest marksman couldn't have missed him, even with his eyes closed.
What if they were Imperial Stormtroopers? After all, they *were* clones. After a fashion, so it’s not *that* much of a stretch.

How did the murder scene wind up clean?
Lois has a tendency to scrub when she’s upset?

The bullets couldn't pierce his flesh, if what I suspect is true. Which means, he isn't actually dead. He only pretended to be dead. Which means this investigation is for nothing.
Treat. More time wasted. More tax payers’ money down the drain.

Which also means that Clark is committing a crime, by faking his own death.
That’s a crime?

Of course, that raises more questions, including if Lois is covering for him and giving us a false report - another crime.
Maybe he should arrest Superman and then lock Lois up in the cell next to him. That should be fun.
CLARK: help

It seems cruel to laugh at her expense, especially now, when she is so clearly broken up over her best friend's death. But you have to admit, it is rather funny that a world class, respected, award-winning journalist could work alongside Superman every single day for how long now? Two years? A little longer? Two and a half, maybe? How could she not see it?
Oh, look! We finally know Tempus’s ancestry laugh

And for myself, I will try to find a way to grieve for a murdered man who still lives on.
LOIS: Really? *Henderson* knew, too?

I’ll admit. I expected him to come up with something smile1

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi, Michael! wave

Or, at least, hole her up on a lonesome island in the Pacific?

Nah, rickety tree house in Kansas. No one will ever look there.

Like exposing himself in public or damaging public property?

<nods>

Maybe it’s because it was on a show too early in the evening? No blood before 9 or something of the sort?

9pm. The magical hour where gore becomes acceptable.

What if Lois didn’t need a vest because she’s carrying Superman’s lovechild and his Kryptonian aura had already started to develop, protecting her from worldly harm? That way, only Clark would need to wear a vest?

Clark: People have been in the naughty fics again, haven't they?

What if they were Imperial Stormtroopers? After all, they *were* clones. After a fashion, so it’s not *that* much of a stretch.

Kylo Ren: Yeah, I'm working on fixing that...

Maybe he should arrest Superman and then lock Lois up in the cell next to him. That should be fun.

Clark: Anyone have any Kryptonite I can borrow?

<spits out drink> rotflol clap notworthy

LOIS: Really? *Henderson* knew, too?

Clark: About that Kryptonite...

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Vicki!
Nah, rickety tree house in Kansas. No one will ever look there.
Ooooooh! That could be fun. And Clark would have to equivocate about why Lois is staying away from the farm house.

9pm. The magical hour where gore becomes acceptable.
It’s like with pumpkins and midnight.

Clark: People have been in the naughty fics again, haven't they?
No, not really?

Kylo Ren: Yeah, I'm working on fixing that...
Later…
KYLO: No no no…! The muzzle must be pointed *that* way!
[Linked Image]

VICKI: /quite ticked by that notion/
smile1

Clark: About that Kryptonite...
He really dug a deep one, there, huh?

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard