Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#264059 06/13/15 10:57 PM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Clark's not the only one who needs healing -- in fact, I think everyone in this story is probably messed up a bit! smile Hope you all enjoyed!

Kerth
Kerth
This is my absolute favorite paragraph in this part:
“Hey, James,” Clark says, and he grins at his friend. And it’s only then, as Lois looks at the man before her (Superman transformed into Clark Kent with no more than a single expression), that she realizes that all the smiles he (this stranger between the two) has been offering her aren’t true smiles at all. They’re pale imitations. Cheap knock-offs. Smiles that prove he is glad to see her (or at least, polite enough to pretend he is), but smiles that are guarded. Wary. Waiting for the other shoe to drop (for the next article to hit the newsstands).
That one genuine smile wipes away all of the polite lies between them. Things are not "fine", as they keep saying. No, there is a much deeper wound that has has damaged their relationship, and despite the fact that they're both pretending it's not there, pretending they can move past it, Lois and Clark are both lying to themselves by not honestly addressing the myriad of conflicting emotions they both feel. And that you can say so much with one genuine smile is a testament to your incredible writing ability. clap

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Way to keep that tension going. They're making some progress but there's still alot of ground to cover.

Joan

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow. 'Wow' is a great word for this chapter notworthy.

I read this part quickly really late the other night, and then read it again (a lot slower) tonight. Taking it in.

It almost feels like 'reality' is setting in. Lois has had some contact with Clark. They've seen each other, talked a bit. 'Life'--whatever it is right now with everyone sorta living together--is moving on. And just what that really entails is starting to sink in for Lois. That 'wonder' of getting to see Clark again, getting to speak to him, has passed and she's starting to get a glimpse into how it really is going to be right now.

Everywhere she turns, she is confronted by the ghosts of what she’s done, so that she cannot sleep, cannot breathe, cannot see how she will ever survive the coming of morning.

This was hauntingly beautiful. The frustration with the night--with confronting herself--was written really well.

And this bit here:

She hates him. Lois decides that when the night is darkest and the morning seems furthest away. She hates him for being so good and noble and selfless and ridiculously accepting. Doesn’t he know that he should get mad? Doesn’t he realize that he’d feel so much better if he fought back instead of just gave in? (Doesn’t he know her well enough to know she needs something to blame him for?)

Especially the second sentence...when feeling like she will never survive the night alone. The war going on in her mind, in her heart. Her mental play-by-play of four long months and the last few crazy days.

Of course he will not let her hate him or blame him or find any reason at all to think she did the right thing four months ago, coming back from Smallville with his secret clutched in her greedy hands.

-And-

She’d stopped seeing him when she’d felt Trask’s hand curling around her neck and heard Clark’s voice transmogrify into Superman’s, and as soon as she’d gotten back to Metropolis, she’d made sure no one else would ever see Clark again, and now he is Superman with the ghost of Clark Kent inhabiting his body and leaving him less than he was before.

Smallville Info--so Trask threatened Clark with Lois' safetly, and 'Superman' came out. Hmmm. But you'd think that Clark admitting his Secret/Lois figuring out his secret--to keep Lois safe--would make her want to protect that secret (afterall, he told it, or acted as he did because of her)? Need-More-Info, Anti-K. Stat! thumbsup.

She feels like she sleeps all the time (a mindless, numb haze that follows her everywhere she goes), but she never feels rested, and as ridiculous as it sounds, she is so tired of being tired.

I LOVE this sentence. Not sure why, but I absolutely love it. Great job smile!

“It’s not for a story!” she gasps. And she can’t be mad. Not at him. Not for this. Not after what she did. “I…I’m on a leave of absence. I’m not here to write anything, and I won’t. Ever. Nothing of what I see or…or hear…or anything…here. I promise.” Her heart skips a beat, flutters in her chest like a moth trying to beat its way through to freedom even as its efforts leave it bruised and dying. “I promise,” she repeats, forlornly (because why should he believe her?).

A muscle tics in his jaw, and then his mask falls away and he breaks her stare. She thinks he is contrite. She thinks he is sorry for his suspicion. But if he is, he does not apologize for it. Just gives a slight nod (accepting her promise, and now there is another goal springing to life inside her, a commitment to this promise she has made him and that he is trusting).

Big exchange. I'm glad this slipped out of Lois the way that it did. Not planned. It came out with that need to reassure him...and herself. Clark's lack of responding--but big clues with body language--seemed to show it was effective. Just getting that whole 'reporter' thing out of the way between them with information during these coming days seemed to be needed.

“Hey, James,” Clark says, and he grins at his friend. And it’s only then, as Lois looks at the man before her (Superman transformed into Clark Kent with no more than a single expression), that she realizes that all the smiles he (this stranger between the two) has been offering her aren’t true smiles at all. They’re pale imitations. Cheap knock-offs. Smiles that prove he is glad to see her (or at least, polite enough to pretend he is), but smiles that are guarded. Wary. Waiting for the other shoe to drop (for the next article to hit the newsstands).

Ironically, Groobie, this was my least favorite part laugh. It was written amazingly, Anti-K, but boy did it show a LOT! Pain. Problems. Work To Do. The Distance between them. It phyically hurt to read this part because instantly you knew how deep all of this is between them. How their friendship has been almost severed. You started to (well, I did, anyway huh ) go back, rethink their encounters so far, and think how much less 'real' they really were. Huge turning point, this paragraph. Loved it, but...ouch! notworthy jawdrop mecry.

“I’m not,” she whispers through stiff lips, her anger evaporated like steam before a breath of cold air. “I’m not a threat.”

“Smooth,” Jimmy says. It’s such an incongruous statement (a word that sounds foreign coming from this businessman he’s become; a slang term that doesn’t fit the moment at all), except for the wink he throws her, the twinkle in his eyes, the smile hidden in the corners of his mouth.

I never thought I'd ever get so much joy from a Jimmy 'Smooth' bit of dialog. Perfect, Anti-K. There is still a bit of Jimmy deep down in James. Loved this!

As always, counting down the days till a new post hail
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 06/16/15 02:06 AM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
it occurs to her to wonder how much evil he sees as Superman.

It's pretty amazing, isn't it? And it speaks loads about his character that he's able to maintain his overall optimism.

Of course he will not allow the darkness of humanity to seep inside him.

Love it.

After four months of trying, she has come to the conclusion that it is a physical impossibility.

Psst...Lois. It's called "love."

She feels like she sleeps all the time (a mindless, numb haze that follows her everywhere she goes), but she never feels rested, and as ridiculous as it sounds, she is so tired of being tired.

Yep, sounds like depression to me.

She’d stopped seeing him when she’d felt Trask’s hand curling around her neck and heard Clark’s voice transmogrify into Superman’s

Ah! I wondered what the "trigger" was for this Lois.

there’s just a bit too much of Lois Lane left within her for her to give up so easily.

Yay!

and help her know what to do next.

Like the suggestion to see a mental health therapist? She's a total mess. (Not that I blame her one bit, well, minus the blame I put on her for outing Clark.)

she thinks it is the best coffee she has ever tasted

Aside from the ones Clark used to make for her.

--and he is talking

Love this for the simplicity, and the reminder that Superman has gone mute.

“I asked how you were doing!”

Ouch at the tone, but this is what he needs to hear - her concern for HIM.

energy and effervescent purpose.

Exactly what she needs. Something tells me she's going to rally support for him, giving her her life back and Clark a reason to trust her again.

“Hey, CK!”

"Hello, Interruptus," Lois greeted him acidly between clenched teeth.

has been offering her aren’t true smiles at all.

mecry

“You’re trying to make sure I’m never alone with him. Aren’t you?”

Where have I heard this before? Oh yes, I remember. Every single fan has asked this of Jimmy at some point.

“Smooth,” Jimmy says. It’s such an incongruous statement (a word that sounds foreign coming from this businessman he’s become; a slang term that doesn’t fit the moment at all), except for the wink he throws her, the twinkle in his eyes, the smile hidden in the corners of his mouth.

Love the break in the "James" persona.

And with her. Here and ready to try to start over again and help him pick up the pieces of his life.

I feel like this is a moment where trumpets should be blaring and an army of knights go storming into battle.

So, as always, I loved this new chapter and I'm on my knees begging for more to read.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Thank you so much, groobie! There is a LOT between Lois and Clark, and it's definitely something they're not really bringing to the surface, but I like that Clark can be as much of himself as he has left with James at least. And as sad as it is for us readers, it might be a good thing for Lois to realize how far she has to go and how much work she has to do! Thanks for the compliment -- the story is so much better due to your great beta-ing job!

Glad you're enjoying, scifiJoan! Yes, still definitely a lot of tension - I'd love to have them back to normal right away, but sadly, that's not quite possible! smile

Wow yourself, LMA -- love to hear that you read it twice! That's always one of my favorite things to hear, to know that you read it at least once on purpose, even already knowing what was coming! smile I'm glad you got the sense of settling into normal life, so to speak, because I liked having Lois learn bit by bit what all that entailed for the Kents and James. Smallville hints are something I love doing - not only because it's fun to get the readers' reaction to them, but also because it keeps reminding ME what I need to be doing eventually! And yes, I really did like having the 'smooth' moment in there, not just because it fit the story, but also because it was my way of giving a nod to the first season Jimmy, who's always been my favorite (no offense to JW, of course!).

Clark does see a lot of this world that, as a farmboy from Kansas, probably leave him shocked and unsure, but he does persevere anyway, which I think is one of his greatest qualities (something portrayed very well in your story, 'First Responder'). laugh I think they all do need to be seeing therapists, don't they? The difference in Jimmy and James is that Jimmy always interrupted on accident -- James does it on purpose! wink So glad you're enjoying!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard