TOC

Part 1

Today...

Lois Lane gasped as she read the return address on the piece of mail in her hands. She dropped the rest of the mail onto her coffee table and sank onto her couch, willing herself not to cry. A wave of nausea rolled through her stomach and she closed her eyes, but her hands flipped the envelope over and her thumb broke the seal along the top edge.

She had been so happy a month ago, on the cusp of a new and exciting beginning to the rest of her life. It had taken so long to get to that point, working her way through a lifetime of heartbreak and disappointment. And it had been worth it; every painful experience in her past had shaped the woman she was today, a woman that Clark Kent loved with all his heart and soul.

Which is why the content of the envelope was so devastating – it made a mockery of the incredible love they shared. Her fingers grasped the edge of the paper, and she removed it from the envelope. She breathed with purpose, steeling herself to the truth. Refusing to acknowledge the fact wouldn’t change anything. So she opened her eyes and confirmed her suspicions.

It was her marriage certificate. Proof from the state of New Troy that Lois Lane was married to Clark Kent.

Lois had never signed the license. Lois had never stood at the altar and said her vows. Those precious moments had been stolen from her when Lex Luthor had taken her from the church and replaced her with a clone.

She had signed the license. She had said the vows. She had stolen Lois’ identity and had become Lois Lane Kent.

Lois’ mouth set in a hard line as she resisted the urge to crumple the certificate in her hands. Lex’s final sick act, reaching from beyond the grave to torment her one more time. He must have submitted the signed license, no doubt taking a twisted kind of pleasure in the perversion of her love, sealing a legal bond between Clark and her.

Not her. It.

That thing, that frog-eating collection of cells pretending to be a person. Lois’ mind rebelled at the idea that it was anything more than a freak of science, an abomination.

At least it was dead. At least Lex was gone and Deter was out of her life and her memory had been restored. And thank God, through all of it, Clark had always been there, never wavering in his love for her.

He did love her – Lois never doubted that. But their relationship since regaining her memory had been strained. Totally and completely her fault – she knew that. This should be the most joyous time in their lives: they should be newly married, fresh from their honeymoon, truly partners in public and in private.

But they weren’t. It wasn’t that simple; when were their lives ever that simple? They were stuck in time – still living apart, engaged, with some undefined wedding do-over in their future. And everyone knew, which was beyond humiliating.

She couldn’t stand the looks of pity evident in the eyes of her co-workers, who had witnessed Clark’s confrontation with her clone and had let the rumor mill fly. She hated the caustic cynicism of her mother, who had taken charge of medical decisions while Lois suffered from amnesia and, rather than casting aspersions on criminally insane ex-boyfriends and criminally abusive psychiatrists, derisively chided Lois on her poor taste in men. And the unconditional emotional support through it all from Clark’s parents, whose kindness stood in such stark contrast to that of her mother’s, somehow made Lois feel even worse.

Lois didn’t even have the ability to process her pain in private; the reactions of everyone around her constantly caused her to dwell on all the things she didn’t have. She certainly didn’t feel married, no matter what that piece of paper in her hand said. And she had missed out on their honeymoon.

Clark said nothing had happened with her – it – on their wedding night. But come on, how could she be expected to believe that? They had waited so long for that moment, and it was her identical twin; she couldn’t blame him for not noticing the difference. But it still hurt. Deeply.

Clark was probably trying to spare her feelings. She should appreciate his long-practiced skill at deception – it allowed her to reset the clock, ignore the past month, pretend that they could move beyond the insanity and step forward with their lives together.

She’d get there. It would just take a little time.

Lois heard a knock at the door; she was sure it was Clark. They were supposed to go to the Daily Planet’s charity street fair today. A perfectly ordinary thing for a couple in love to do. She had been looking forward to strolling past the vendors with her hand securely held in his, taking a child-like joy in attempting to win prizes at the carnival games. Publicly confirming to their co-workers and, really, to themselves, that the chaos of their lives over the past month hadn’t torn them apart. That clones and dead ex-boyfriends and amnesia and unscrupulous doctors couldn’t sever the bond between them.

Lois looked at the marriage certificate again, glowering at the legal proof of that bond. That piece of paper sealed a vow between him and it. Lois shoved the certificate back into its envelope, then buried it under a stack of junk mail.

She couldn’t show it to Clark yet. She needed to understand it first, come to terms with what it meant for their future. She needed to process the jumble of emotions that threatened to overwhelm her. She needed time.

He knocked again. “Lois?” Clark’s voice pitched her name like a question, with concern for her well-being evident in his tone. And who could blame him? With all they had been through, anything could be waiting for them around the next corner.

“Coming!” she reassured him. Lois dabbed her eyes lightly and pulled in a calming breath, trying to find the appropriate veneer of happiness. He was too perceptive, could identify her moods too easily, and she just didn’t want to deal with her depressing thoughts right now. She plastered a smile on her face as she opened the door.

Clark leaned in for a quick kiss on her cheek, and then tilted his head with a look of concern. “Everything okay?”

“Fine.” Lois backed away from the entry and allowed Clark to step through. “I was just getting ready.”

Clark stopped near the couch and turned to face her. Lois took his hands, willing herself not to look at the coffee table, not to draw any attention to what was hiding there. She focused instead on his eyes, the chocolate brown pools of warmth that shined back at her. Gosh, she could drown in those eyes.

“You look beautiful,” he said. His lips curled into a gorgeous smile.

Lois glanced down at her V-neck t-shirt, which must be giving him an eyeful. “What, this old thing?” she asked, trying to engage him in playful banter.

Clark’s eyes dipped south; Lois smiled wickedly at his typically male reaction. She traced her finger along her collar and watched with amusement as Clark’s eyes followed the path. His obvious interest sparked her own desire to tease him. Lois placed her palm on his t-shirt, then slowly slid her hand up to his neck. “You look good, too.”

She saw Clark swallow as he put his hands on her waist. Lois edged closer, barely touching her body against his. She slid her fingers into the hair at the nape of his neck, then gently pulled him down for a kiss.

Their lips met; Lois wrapped her left hand around Clark’s back and pulled him more securely against her. Kissing was surely one of his super powers; she moaned softly at the magical feeling his lips evoked. She pressed harder against him, insistently sweeping her tongue into his mouth.

Clark’s hand slipped under the hem of her t-shirt and stilled against the small of her back. His spot – that piece of her he had claimed for years, long before she had acknowledged any romantic interest between them. That she had never objected to his gentle touches should have clued her into her feelings for him much sooner.

She loved him. Lois slipped her hand under his shirt, pressing it against his back. His skin was smooth and warm, and her mind suddenly flashed the memory of seeing him bare-chested just days after meeting him for the first time. She had been captivated by his incredible physique, and for as long as she had known him, despite how long she had resisted falling for him, the desire to see his skin again had been ever-present.

She had been waiting for years – years! And she was still waiting. Because they were waiting – by some unspoken agreement, they had decided to wait until marriage before becoming intimate. So much waiting! Lois squeezed her eyes shut and kissed him harder to keep the frown from her face, to make sure he wouldn’t sense the thoughts in her head.

She shouldn’t have to wait anymore – they should already be married.

She shouldn’t have to wait anymore – according to that certificate in the mail, they already were married.

And then, the darkest of her thoughts, the one she struggled to bury the deepest: she shouldn’t have to wait anymore – because he hadn’t. He had, she was sure, consummated their relationship on their wedding night. Not with her, of course, but with her clone.

Clark moaned softly, and it seemed like she could feel the heat radiating from his body. His hands wandered across her back. Lois lowered her hands to his backside.

Waiting was stupid. It was gone – there was nothing Lois could do about the moment that the clone had stolen from them. But Lois could reclaim what was hers – take Clark now and get on with their lives.

Clark pulled away as if jolted by an electric shock. “God, Lois...” His pained voice was full of tortured desire, an unmistakable mixture of lust and desperation. His eyes shut firmly behind his glasses as his face contorted in concentration. He took a few steps back away from her. “You’re making it really hard to wait.”

She stepped forward. “So let’s stop waiting.”

“Soon. I promise.” Clark looked at her with love shining in his eyes.

Lois crossed her arms defensively; she tried to shield her emotions – rejection, anger, betrayal. But she doubted her face was wearing a neutral mask.

Clark place his hands at the sides of her face. “Oh, honey. I’m sorry. I know this is frustrating. With everything you’ve been through in the past month, we just need to ease you back into your life. Let’s just take it slowly.”

“You don’t want to marry me anymore.” The fear whispered past her lips, and she hugged herself tighter.

Clark gazed at her with a sincere intensity. “There is nothing I want more than to be your husband.”

Lois spun away from him, determined not to let him see her cry. He didn’t deserve to be burdened by her insecurities.

She felt Clark move behind her and wrap his arms around her waist. His chin rested on her shoulder, and he pressed his cheek against hers. They stood silently, slowly synching the cadence of their breaths. Lois closed her eyes and concentrated on the soothing peace of his embrace, as if his aura was a physical bubble that could protect their happiness from the pain of the outside world. Being held by him helped Lois box her emotions, burying her dark thoughts under the crushing weight of his love. A temporary fix that could hopefully hold permanently with time.

Clark kissed her cheek and released her, as if he could sense that her mood had lightened. But only she understood the tenuous nature of her emotional walls, how one false move could cause her frail tightrope to snap. Lois turned to face him; Clark ran his thumb over her cheek, and then kissed her softly on the lips. He stood back with a reassuring smile on his face. “Come on. Let’s go down to the fair now. I’ll buy you a funnel cake.”

Lois rolled her eyes skyward, shaking her head as she grabbed her purse and headed for the door. “I’m not wasting empty calories on anything that doesn’t involve chocolate.”

The bell at the top of the strongman game rang and the carnival worker yelled, “We have a winner!”

Barry smiled and set down the hammer while Wanda squealed in delight. She reached out for the prize he had won for her: a small stuffed bear. Barry tipped his head in thanks and the carnie winked, and then Barry placed his arm around Wanda’s waist, leading her away.

“I love it,” she said as she looked down at the bear. Then she gave him a seductive look out of the corner of her eye. “I love you.”

Barry smiled radiantly. “I love you, too.”

Wanda twisted her body to face him, holding the bear in her right hand as she looped her arm around his body. She tipped her face up, and Barry reacted instinctively to the signal, bending down to kiss her. Kissing was fun, and he enjoyed shamelessly doing it in public, showing everyone in the world just how much he felt for her.

She broke the kiss and laughed lightly as she stroked her left hand lazily up his chest, then along his shoulder. “You’re a big cheater,” she said as she squeezed his bicep.

“Just using what I was born with. That’s not a crime.”

“Oh, you’re a master criminal. You steal my heart every day.”

Barry kissed her again, basking in the glow of their shared love. “How was I ever lucky enough to have found you?”

“It was fate. Destiny. We were meant to be.”

Barry slid his hand into Wanda’s and began to stroll through the street fair. He had seen an ad for it stapled onto a telephone pole and was sure Wanda would enjoy herself. But he glanced around, feeling a tinge of guilt for not being completely honest with her about his true motivations.

Barry had been with Wanda for a month, and had considered his options numerous times. To tell or not to tell. But he had busied himself in that time, convincing Sammy to help establish Wanda’s identity, squaring away her papers and giving her a job at the agency. He had used some of his savings to let her furnish his place to her liking. He had focused his work on the children’s parties and faux-celebrity appearances, backing away from the adult parties, which no longer held any appeal. Every day, he fell more deeply in love with her, and he wanted the world to know.

No, that wasn’t quite true. There was one person in the world he wanted to tell: his brother. If anyone should share in his joy, it should be Clark.

He just hadn’t been sure how to tell him, concerned about how he’d react to knowing that Lois’ clone was still alive. And he really had no clue how Lois would react to that news.

But when he had seen the ad for the annual charity street fair, sponsored by the Daily Planet, a plan had formed in his head. He would take Wanda, and would be on the lookout for Lois and Clark, who would surely be there, too. He’d stage a casual run-in, in a wide open place, and he’d introduce Wanda to them, and then...

They’d be a family.

Barry scanned the street. Their meeting would go well. He was sure it would. He ignored the flutter of doubt in the pit of his stomach – a sensation so utterly unfamiliar to him, because he lived his life confidently, without fear.

Wanda squeezed his hand, breaking Barry away from his wandering thoughts. She was looking up at him with a question in her eyes, but he reassured her with a smile and quick kiss on the lips. “Dessert?” he asked.

“Oooh, absolutely!” She pointed towards a vendor and said, “They have deep fried Twinkies!”

Barry tried to grimace, but his half-smile betrayed him. “Those things will kill you.”

She shrugged. “I should have been dead weeks ago. I’ll take my chances.”

Barry let out a light laugh. Funny how looking death in the face can make you appreciate life that much more. He took her stuffed bear and said, “Get me one, too.”

“Anything for you.” Wanda winked before she made her way to the food truck.

Barry watched her walk away, entranced by the sway of her hips; he willed himself to look away before he became unable to control his physical reaction to her. He concentrated and scanned the area, seeing past the crowd of nameless faces and searching for his twin.

And he finally saw them. Lois and Clark had stepped around a corner, coming into view. Their hands were clasped, and they were smiling at each other, clearly enjoying their time together. His mind flashed to Wanda – it was like he was watching their future walking towards him. He wanted her to be a part of his life, for the rest of his life.

He looked back towards Wanda and saw that she was still in line. He nodded to himself – he could greet Lois and Clark on his own first, and then introduce Wanda. His eyes found the pair again, and he made sure not to lose them as they meandered through the crowd. They stopped momentarily, and he stretched his hearing to learn that they were discussing what to eat. Barry quickly closed the remaining distance between them. “Fancy meeting you here,” he said.

Clark turned towards him, and then his face lit up. “Barry!” he said with excitement. Clark pulled Barry into a hug, slapping the back of his shoulder, and Barry did the same. When they pulled apart, Clark asked, “What are you doing here?”

Barry laid the groundwork for his introduction. “Sharing a day at the fair with my girlfriend.” He turned to Lois and smiled.

Lois smiled back, reaching out and kissing him lightly on the cheek. “It’s so good to see you again. I’m so happy for you.”

“Thanks. She’s the love of my life. We were made for each other. Just like you two.”

Lois snuggled next to Clark as he wrapped his arm around her waist. “Well, some days are crazier than others, but in the end, I think we’ll be okay.”

Clark gazed down at Lois, his love for her evident in his eyes. “We will be. Together.” Then he turned his attention back to Barry. “I haven’t seen you in a few months. What have you been up to?”

“Oh, same ol’, same ol’. Pretending to be you. It...”

“Pays more than you’d think,” Barry and Clark said at the same time.

Barry laughed. “Well, it’s true! And I’m looking for a new apartment. I’ve wanted to get a nicer place ever since we started living together.”

Lois said, “Oh! So it’s serious.”

Barry nodded. “Very.”

“So when are we going to meet this mystery woman?”

Barry let himself tune in to Wanda’s heartbeat – an odd habit that somehow seemed instinctive. He recognized that she was headed his way. “In just a few seconds.” He reached out his hand in her direction.

And then Wanda squealed with glee. “Oh my God! Clark! Lois!” She hurried towards them, her hands full of Twinkies. “I can’t believe you’re here!” She gave the desserts to Barry, then clapped her hands.

“I’d like you to meet Wanda.” Barry tipped his head towards her, then turned to watch their reaction.

Clark’s face was stunned. Lois’ face had paled.

But Wanda seemed oblivious as she wrapped her arms around Clark and squeezed him tightly. “I’ve missed you so much!” Clark loosely hugged her, then quickly dropped his arms. Wanda let go of him, then pulled Lois into a hug. And Barry saw Lois’ body go rigid as Wanda happily said, “My sister!”

Clark stared at Lois’ twin, shocked to see her alive. Wanda’s bright eyes and wide smile lit up her face, a stark contrast to Lois’ tight frown. Wanda’s very existence seemed impossible, and yet...

“I thought you were dead.” The words fell from his mouth; he should have found a more tactful way to say it. Clark saw the look that passed between Barry and Wanda – the silent, almost telepathic way that partners can communicate with each other. Barry nodded his head, and Wanda returned the nod before turning her attention back to Clark.

Wanda smiled patiently. “I probably looked dead. It’s okay – I forgive you for leaving me under all that rubble. It was crazy down there, and I’m sure you were concerned about her.” Wanda glanced at Lois; a flash of worry crossed her face, and she quickly looked away. Then she wistfully said, “It would have been nice if you had checked up on me, though. Just to be sure.”

Clark took a step forward – his hand reached out instinctively to offer comfort, but he froze, because this wasn’t his Lois; he had no right to touch her. He dropped his hand and said sincerely, “I am so sorry.”

And then Wanda smiled, the light touching the corners of her eyes. She grabbed his right hand with both of hers in a gesture of friendship. “It’s okay. Life’s too short to hold a grudge.” Then she released his hand and looped her left arm around Barry. “Besides, if I hadn’t saved myself that day and went to the park looking for food, I never would have met him.” She turned her attention to Barry and batted her eyelashes. Barry bent down and gave her a sweetly intimate kiss.

Clark heard Lois give them an ugly, derisive grunt of disapproval. Her face was scrunched in distaste, and a cold fury seemed to radiate from her. Lois narrowed her eyes at Wanda and quietly seethed, “Get out of here.”

Barry jumped back slightly at her tone. “Excuse me?”

Lois’ eyes darted to the crowd around them. “Someone from the Daily Planet is going to see all of us together and have questions. I don’t want to have to explain away the existence of clones.” She looked at Barry’s face, and then at Clark. She pitched her voice low. “You’re not even wearing glasses. You’re going to ruin us!”

Clark could see Barry lose his relaxed attitude: straightening his spine, squaring his shoulders, and pulling Wanda protectively closer. “Hold on, there. We have just as much of a right to be here as you do.” Clark heard the hard edge of anger that had crept into Barry’s voice.

Clark tried to maintain the peace. “You’re absolutely right. But, please...as a favor to me? Brother?”

A fraction of the tension in the air between them dissipated; Barry looked down at Wanda and said, “Let’s go.” Then he looked at Lois and said, with harsh sarcasm, “I guess your lives are more important than ours.”

Lois said nothing; she stared impassively.

As Barry and Wanda turned to leave, Clark stopped them with a hand on Barry’s arm. “That’s not true. I think this is just a shock for all of us.” He thought quickly for a way to make things right, and then said, “Come to dinner with us. Tonight, at my place. We’ll all sit down and get to know each other better.”

Barry looked to Wanda for her reaction; she flashed him a supportive look. “Okay. We’ll be there at seven.”

Clark let out a breath he hadn’t realized he had been holding. “Thank you. We’ll see you tonight.” He looked at Wanda and said, “It was good to see you again, truly.”

Wanda gave him a half-smile, but pointedly refused to give Lois even the briefest of glances. Barry frowned at Lois, but then gave Clark a quick smile and nod. And then Barry guided Wanda away through the crowd, dropping their desserts into the nearest trash can.

“Can you believe that?” Lois scowled after the departing couple. “How dare they come here?”

Clark was taken aback by the tone in her voice. “They didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Their very existence is wrong,” she seemed to say under her breath. She turned to him and said incredulously, “And you! You invited them over to dinner like they’re our best friends.”

“We need to get to know them,” Clark said simply. “They’re family.”

“They most certainly are not. You may think he’s your brother, but that thing is definitely not my sister.”

“Wanda is a person, not a thing.”

“She’s a science experiment. One that stole my life, ruined our wedding, and tried to kill me.”

“And you should blame Lex Luthor for all of that. She was being used by him; she didn’t know any better. Barry started out the same way, but he’s different now. I’m sure she is, too. You’ll see.”

“Yeah. Great.”

Clark tried to hold her hand, but Lois shook off the attempt. “I’m going home.”

“Okay,” Clark said with disappointment. “But you’ll come over tonight, right?”

Lois began walking away, but muttered to herself, “Sure. You’d probably just pick me up and drag me over there anyway if I didn’t.”

Clark watched her go, shaking his head sadly, and began planning the dinner menu, hoping that extending the invitation had been a good decision.

Feedback feeds the soul!

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink