#263839 06/06/15 01:45 AM
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Hi all.
I'm just starting a watch through of every episode of the show and thought I'd post my thoughts on each episode as I watch them. I haven't been able to watch Lois & Clark for years (long and boring story), so I was pleasantly surprised when I found copies of seasons 2, 3 and 4 at my local Big Lots! for $8 plus tax each, so I got them and ordered season 1 from Amazon and it came today.

Anyway, I was thinking it would be nice to watch the episodes in order and write my thoughts o them on this thread and maybe get a little discussion going, though I don't know if anything I say will be of any interest to anyone on here or at all original. Tonight I watched the pilot. It was good, and with the exception of a few special effects and the older computers shown, hasn't really aged much, if at all, in my opinion.

I did think Lex scaring the snake away by looking at it with his Evil Eyes was a bit ridiculous and I thought it would have been better if when Superman flew away from Lex at the end after saying to "Look up" Lex had said something like "Indeed I shall... Mr Kent" (Fanfic idea, Lex knows from the beginning, but Clark doesn't know he knows, anyone wanting to write it, go ahead, just let me know where I can read it).

The characterization of Lois, Clark, Perry, Jimmy, Lex and the elder Kents was really just brilliant, especially Perry. Great direction, a good script that sets everything up well for a Superman series. Ideal really, and nowhere near as cheesy as the show is made out to be by non-fans. 9/10.

A minor note.
I've never seen season 4 so if you could avoid spoilers for it in this thread, I'd be grateful.

I'll post again when I've watched episode 2, unless it's to reply to someone else on the thread.

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Absolutely no reason why you shouldn't start a fresh episode discussion thread, Suggs, if that suits you better, so carry on as you like. thumbsup

But just in case you're unaware and it's of use to you, there's a TOC of discussion threads for each episode stickied to the top of this forum. I know stickied threads are - contrarily - sometimes hard to spot! You may find something in the previous discussions that sparks a thought or two you'd like to share in your reviews. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Cool Labby. What's TOC stand for? Nice dog avatar, by the way.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
TOC = Table of Contents (AKA a wondrous labor of love for the fandom by Labby)

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Thanks Michael.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nice dog avatar

Thanks. Our Homer in his much younger days. He's a bit of an old man now, but still just as happy.

AKA a wondrous labor of love for the fandom by Labby)

Although Mike tends to get to them first and do most of the work these days. <g>

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The pilot was a lot of fun. Even twenty years later it's still quite sweet. The design team was going for a slightly forties vibe.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Labby, Homer is a beautiful dog.

Morgana, I agree about the Pilot being fun and sweet. The forties vibe comes though well, sort of a 90's version of the 40's.

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
1.2 Strange Visitor.

I thought this episode was really good. It truly showed how the paranoid would react to an alien being on Earth. Perry gets some good moments, like in the empty warehouse. Teri does a great job as Lois again. Dean really shows Clark's emotions at not knowing who or what he is, and of finding his ship and that globe thing, very well. The only bad things in the episode were the portrayal of Jimmy as a bit of an idiot, which if I remember correctly changes later in the series, and the flying sequences now look dated. Trask was a convincing villain, and I think there could be an interesting story made of how he came to be the man he is. In a different show, he could be the hero, but not this one. All in all, a really good episode.
8/10.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Morgana
The pilot was a lot of fun. Even twenty years later it's still quite sweet.
We've been watching a bunch of old time hero shows lately (Wonder Woman, The 6 Million Dollar Man, The Incredible Hulk -- and even Emergency -- to name a few). It's amazing how much time is wasted boring the viewer with introducing characters' history and back-story. (There's a montage at the beginning of Incredible Hulk, which -- I kid you not -- feels like it goes on for 5 minutes, describing David Banner's blissful married life.) That's what was so refreshing with Lois and Clark. They left the background information (and character history) dribble out during the course of the first season (and sometimes beyond). While the Pilot was still an introduction to characters and setting, it wasn't bogged down with boring (and actionless) back-story. The action starts right away. It's what hooked me. I find it interesting to see these old shows (or those ones I mentioned earlier that I loved as a kid) again now from the first episode. Nowadays, if shows made and aired such slow-moving Pilots, the shows would lose their audience before getting to fun good stuff or even the second half of the Pilot episode. I recall watching those shows with enthusiasm as a child, but watching them now with my kids, I have to BEG them to keep with the show (and/or stay awake), because it WILL get better. "Lois and Clark" starts out good and kept getting better throughout its first season.

As Morgana pointed out, the production team gave the show a very timeless feel to it. From the set design to the costumes, the show doesn't feel glued to a certain era. The only things that show us what decade it's set in is the electronics: beepers, fax machines, monochrome computer monitors, flip cell phones, 3.5 floppy diskettes, etc.

LATER: Actually, the preview for the new Supergirl show reminds me a lot of the feel of "Lois and Clark". I look forward to seeing if that feeling remains once I watch its Pilot.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 06/07/15 04:04 AM. Reason: added note

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
1.3 Never Ending Battle.

This was a good episode. It was enjoyable seeing Lois knocked down a peg or two. She deserved it after what she did to to Clark. I also like Jimmy standing up for himself at the end. Lex was perfectly acted. The only real problem with this episode is it feels it should have come before Strange Visitor, especially considering the zero gravity club comment by Cat, and Lois temporarily falling for the mad man's story even after he gives Superman's planet of origin as whatever it was, when in Strange Visitor, she finds out that he comes from a planet called Krypton. In future, I will be watching this episode before Strange Visitor.

8/10.

Last edited by Suggs_With_A_Box; 06/08/15 01:09 AM.
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
1.4 I'm Looking Through You.

I liked the B plot of Lois feeling ignored by Clark in pajamas. Teri really played Lois well here. It's no surprise that she came second best on a list of Lois Lane live action performances. First place went to what's her name from Smallville. I seriously can't remember. Anyway, while not the best episode, it was interesting in that it was the first time Clark had to outsmart villains as Superman. I like when Clark/Superman, in any version, shows there's more to him stopping the bad guys than his superpowers. All in all, a good episode, but sadly the worst one yet.

7/10.

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
1.5 Requiem For A Superhero.

A good episode that entertains well, moves the overall story onward, and shows a little insight into Lex's psyche. As usual Teri, Dean, Lane and John did great job of acting their respective roles of Lois, Clark, Perry and Lex. I thought it was a good scheme of Luthor's to manipulate events so that Lois thought he'd saved her life. He is clearly showing himself to be much better a tactician than Clark, but then he's had years of practice. Lois seems blind to half the stuff going on around her (CK=SM, Luthor being Satan level evil). It seems a bit weird for such a genius reporter type. The upgraded boxers were an interesting idea that could be taken further, though if I remember rightly, it wasn't. Sam's story was well written and acted. Overall, a very good episode.

8/10.

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
1.6 I've Got A Crush On You.

Not bad, but not good either. The dumpster scene was funny. Unfortunately, that was the only thing that made this episode even the tiniest bit memorable.

Sadly 6/10.

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
1.7 Smart Kids.
Smart Kids, dumb writers. An awful episode, with a few humorous moments to make it worth watching, mostly coming from Cat. Worst one yet.

3/10.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally Posted by Suggs_With_A_Box
1.7 Smart Kids.
Smart Kids, dumb writers. An awful episode, with a few humorous moments to make it worth watching, mostly coming from Cat. Worst one yet.

3/10.

SK never fails to disappoint, LOL laugh

Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted by HiddenMoon
Originally Posted by Suggs_With_A_Box
1.7 Smart Kids.

3/10.

SK never fails to disappoint, LOL laugh

Exactly. I truly forgot exactly how bad it was. Fortunately, it was followed by......

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
1.8 The Green, Green Glow Of Home.

A classic episode, an absolute masterpiece, everything about this episode is as near to perfect as possible. Lois & Clark done right. Perfectly written, acted and directed. Dean's performance in particular stood out, it pulled me in and made me feel like this was all happening to a real man. Also, the elder Kents were acted brilliantly. I really liked the story. Not only would I say it was the best Lois & Clark episode yet, I would say that as Superman stuff goes, it was up there with the very best in my opinion, which includes this, the first two Christopher Reeve movies, and some of the comics, though it will probably be expanded to more L&C as I watch further on into the show.

10/10. I'm very much looking forward to the next episode. Too bad nothing could top this one......

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
1.9 Man Of Steel Bars

A good episode with the whole cast on top form and an original idea for the story. It really is a great example of what makes Smith the best Perry White ever to be put on-screen. Also, Teri Hatcher is now 100% definitely my favorite Lois.

8/10.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The Green, Green Glow of Home

Yeah, this was a great episode! Pity we never saw Rachel again after this. Trask was a bit on the crazy side.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard