Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Suggs_With_A_Box
Lois would be transported to 70 years in the future by a villain that hasn't been made up yet, a kind of mix of Tempus and Zod, and she'd have to cope with adjusting to living in a new time with a Clark who just got his first grey hair. In other words, I'd shake it up a bit just for the sake of it. Probably a bad idea.
You might want to check our KenJ's story Aurora Borealis

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Lois would be transported to 70 years in the future by a villain that hasn't been made up yet, a kind of mix of Tempus and Zod, and she'd have to cope with adjusting to living in a new time with a Clark who just got his first grey hair. In other words, I'd shake it up a bit just for the sake of it. Probably a bad idea.
You might want to check our KenJ's story Aurora Borealis

Cool. I will soon.

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
4.20 I've Got You Under My Skin.

Wow, I don't believe it. A soul swapping magic stone? Lois knowing it was Clark in the other body because..... reasons. Worst of all, Clark just shouting for help just because he's in another body. That was very out of character. A better ending would have been Clark (in other body) saves Becky and then Bodysnatcher realizes the error of his ways, and swaps back before being killed. This episode was very bad, but not as bad as I was expecting, probably due to it being hyped on here as the Lois & Clark equivalent to The Phantom Menace. It isn't, but it is a stupid episode, only worth watching as part of a marathon. Even so, there are worse episodes of this show, but overall, it stinks. You can smell the plot a mile away. *Sniff* Is that dogs? No. *Sniff* Cows is it? *Sniff* No, I know. It's bulls**t!!

3/10.

Also, I think Invasion Of The Bodysnatcher would have been a better title for this one.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Worst of all, Clark just shouting for help just because he's in another body. That was very out of character.

What?! Ok, I think I'll skip this episode altogether.

Even so, there are worse episodes of this show, but overall, it stinks. You can smell the plot a mile away. *Sniff* Is that dogs? No. *Sniff* Cows is it? *Sniff* No, I know. It's bulls**t!!

LOL! We're gonna miss your reviews, Suggs... (Only two episodes to go!)

Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted by HiddenMoon
Worst of all, Clark just shouting for help just because he's in another body. That was very out of character.

What?! Ok, I think I'll skip this episode altogether.

Even so, there are worse episodes of this show, but overall, it stinks. You can smell the plot a mile away. *Sniff* Is that dogs? No. *Sniff* Cows is it? *Sniff* No, I know. It's bulls**t!!

LOL! We're gonna miss your reviews, Suggs... (Only two episodes to go!)

Don't skip it. It's worth watching just for the "What The F**k?" Factor.

I'm not looking forward to this being over. Just 2 episode reviews, a season 4 review and an overall series review to go. So four more things to look forward to, but first I actually have to watch the episodes...

Last edited by Suggs_With_A_Box; 12/07/15 04:14 PM.
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S

LOL! We're gonna miss your reviews, Suggs... (Only two episodes to go!) [/quote]

To be honest, I stole that joke from a sitcom, and paraphrased it. Sorry.

Last edited by Suggs_With_A_Box; 12/07/15 04:17 PM.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
This episode was very bad, but not as bad as I was expecting, probably due to it being hyped on here as the Lois & Clark equivalent to The Phantom Menace.
I'm glad you didn't find it as bad as you had feared. Your opinion of the episode is higher than mine. For me, it is earns a low 2/10 rating. The only thing that keeps it from being a 1/10 is something that Susan G. (?) wrote about how it nicely balanced the first season: In S1, Lois couldn't recognize Clark when he was in blue tights. Now that she really knows and loves him, she can recognize him in a new body.

Joy,
Lynn

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
This episode was very bad, but not as bad as I was expecting, probably due to it being hyped on here as the Lois & Clark equivalent to The Phantom Menace.
I'm glad you didn't find it as bad as you had feared. Your opinion of the episode is higher than mine. For me, it is earns a low 2/10 rating. The only thing that keeps it from being a 1/10 is something that Susan G. (?) wrote about how it nicely balanced the first season: In S1, Lois couldn't recognize Clark when he was in blue tights. Now that she really knows and loves him, she can recognize him in a new body.

Joy,
Lynn

That's brilliant. I didn't think of that, that's a great symmetry in the show. Susan is a genius!!

Last edited by Suggs_With_A_Box; 12/08/15 12:26 AM.
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
4.21 Toy Story.

I thought this was a fun episode, though it wasn't at all what I was expecting. I expected a sequel to Season's Greedings, or maybe Lois and Clark going against living toys created by a mad scientist. Not that a toymaker got mad because a company fired him for saying "Hmm, let's make a Star Trek transporter. I don't know how to do it, but you build it and then give me all the credit, because I suggested it."

I thought that Doctor Klien being kidnapped by toys was very funny, as was when he said about having heard Lois' story. I was very happy when Perry & Alice got back together. This episode was fun, and it was nice to see that Lois is ready for kids, and the story she told was kind of beautiful. All in all, a good episode. I'm looking forward to the last one very much, but also in a different way I'm not because it's hard to believe it's so close to the show being all over.

7/10.

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
OK, as I've just got one more episode to go I went back through this thread because I remember saying "I'll do that after finishing the show" a lot. As it turns out, all I said I'd do is watch Babylon 5 and read a bunch of fanfic on the Archive, which I will read. I've watched some Babylon 5 (the first 3 episodes), and I couldn't get into it. I'm sorry Lynn, I tried.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I didn't forget what I said, and will be more than willing to provide feedback on the fanfic if anyone's interested. Also, I will be writing some of my own (a series, I mentioned the idea on page 13 of this thread in the P.S. section of my review of Tempus Anyone) if anyone's interested. If not, I won't bother writing it.

Thank you all, and I'll be watching the last one as soon as I can, I promise.

Last edited by Suggs_With_A_Box; 12/08/15 02:47 AM.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Babylon 5 does get off to a somewhat slow start. I would consider the first several episodes decent, but nowhere near outstanding. I would say the show comes into its own somewhere in the middle of the first season.

Since the last Doctor I saw more than five minutes of was Peter Davison, I probably wouldn't read a crossover story with a later one, but I imagine that there probably are Whovians here who would be interested in such a crossover. If you write any short stories that are either only L&C or are crossovers for a show/book/etc. with which I am familiar, I would definitely read them.

Joy,
Lynn

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Lynn,
I don't know if you'd be interested in it, but I did write a L&C/ Harry Potter crossover that I put on the archive a few years ago. To be honest, I think it's terrible, but Labby thought it good enough to put up so that must mean something, given the quality of The Archive. It's called Far From Home, under the author name Jensguy (how do I change that?). I've also written some other stuff on Fanfiction.net under the name Suggs With A Box (also my name on the Gallifrey Base forum), some of which is really good and some of which is awful.

As for the Doctor Who/Lois & Clark crossover I have in mind, I was thinking of a series of stories, one of which would feature a past Doctor, and another would have Lois meeting the Smallville and/or movie version(s) of herself and Clark or supporting characters like Perry, Jimmy, Lex or the Kents. I don't know, it's in the early planning stages. I don't even have any idea how many stories will be in the series.

You mentioned crossovers with things you're more familiar with. What would that include? Also, on an unrelated note, do you think I should give Babylon 5 another chance?
All the best,
Sam.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hello Sam,

(By the way, if I may ask, what is the significance of your "Suggs_With_a_Box" handle? I've been curious about that for a while.)

I read the Harry Potter books, but I don't really understand why they are so popular. I think whether I would read an HP/L&C crossover would depend on whether I happen to be just busy at the time or whether I am insanely busy. (Those are the only options for me during the school year.) The idea of Lois meeting other versions of herself and/or Clark is definitely appealing. I have seen a couple of very well-written stories in which this happens, but there is plenty of room for many more such stories. (Don't ask me to name the stories I read; IIRC, one was by Queen of the Capes and the other was by Shayne, but I wouldn't swear to it.)

In addition to L&C, my major fandoms include Star Trek (the original series), Sherlock Holmes, and -- yes -- Babylon 5. I would consider B5 to be far and away the best show that has ever aired on television. It is almost entirely the vision of one creative genius (J. Michael Straczynski), and it shows -- there is more foreshadowing and character growth in this series than in any other I have seen. Minor things that are easily overlooked in season one become major plot points in later seasons. One example:
You might see in passing a headline of a newspaper someone is reading. That headline will have no bearing whatsoever on the current episode, but it might make mention of some Terran politics that will gradually become more relevant over the course of a season or two.
The show coheres incredibly well and depicts gradual (and, sometimes, not-so-gradual) character changes in very believable manners. This show is anything but episodic, once it seriously gets underway. The characters at the end of the series are very different people than they were when the series began.

Joy,
Lynn

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Hey Lynn,
My user name refers to a line from Matt Smith's first episode as The Doctor in Doctor Who where he is referred to by his new companion as "a madman with a box" and Suggs, the singer of one of my favorite bands, Madness. Speaking of user names, it's obvious why Lynn is there for yours, but what does the S.M. mean? Super Man? Sex Machine? Supreme Marshmallow? Soccer Mom?

I'll look for those stories, especially the Queen Of The Capes one, she, along with you, Labrat, and Wendy Richards are my favorite writers on the Archive. I assume from your comment about the school year that you are a teacher or work somehow in that field. Cool. My sister is a deputy principal. I don't know how people can cope with so many kids at once.

Star Trek is cool. My wife and I watched every episode of the original series and the six original cast movies last year. It was fun. You really make a great case for Babylon 5. I'll give it another go. Since you mention Sherlock Holmes, I'll ask. Do you like Sherlock?

Last edited by Suggs_With_A_Box; 12/08/15 10:41 PM.
Kerth
Kerth
Babylon 5 was a brilliant show. And Tracy Scoggins was a regular in Season 5, so there's even an L&C connection. smile

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Suggs With a Box, wow, I'm incredibly honoured to be listed in the company of such fantastic writers. Thank you! blush

Thank you for the explanation on your online name. I never would have guessed it. I was thinking along the lines of "suggestion box," and wondering why you might take that on as a moniker. I fear there's nothing particular interesting about the "S.M." part of mine; those letters are my middle and last initials. (I was amused by your ideas, though.) I had originally wanted to sign on simply as "Lynn M.," but was surprised to see that there had been someone on the boards using that already. S/he also had even written several pieces of fanfic. If you go over to the archives, you'll see separate listings for her stories and mine. But if "S.M." had stood for something else, it probably would have been "Superman's Mine." (Hey, a gal can dream.)

I am indeed a teacher. In fact, I am a mild-mannered teacher of computer networking and information security at a local community college by day. (By night I am a divorced mom of a mostly sweet -- but beginning to act like a teenager -- young man with special needs. I squeeze my L&C-related activities in when I can.) I haven't had a chance to watch Sherlock; it's on my someday-when-I-retire-and-have-more-free-time list. What do you think of it?

Susan, There's another connection between B5 and L&C: Jason Carter, who played the whiner in "Whine Whine Whine" played a very different, and much more sympathetic, sort of character in Babylon 5.

Time to awaken D.S. and start getting ready for school...

Joy,
Lynn

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I, too, am sad you only have one episode to go, Suggs. It's been a delightful and interesting journey, sharing the responses of someone coming to the show for the first time. Made me quite nostalgic for the early days. I've found that the first thing I do now on logging into the boards is scroll down eagerly to see if this thread has been updated. <g> I hope you enjoy the finale!

If you want to change your author name on the Archive, just email or message me with the name you want to use and I'll pass it on to Lauren as part of my weekly upload/updates.

And thank you for including me in your favourite author list. blush That was unexpected and quite made my day. I'm glad you enjoyed the stories.

I'm a big Sherlock fan - despite never having had any interest in the original. I love the relationship between Sherlock and Watson - as portrayed by two very talented actors - the humour and the convoluted plots. I'd definitely recommend giving it a go.

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 12/09/15 08:22 AM.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, and one crossover I always recommend is Becky Bain's Timeless:

http://www.lcfanfic.com/stories/1999/html/timeless.html

It's a cross with the original Beauty and the Beast. Apart from being a beautifully written fic, it's also written in such a way that you understand the B&TB characters even if - like me - you've never watched that show. The two are merged perfectly.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I found the stories I was thinking of: The summary for Shayne's Group Therapy is "Trapped together, several versions of Clark Kent and Superman compare notes, and learn something valuable in the process."

I apologize for misremembering the author of Lunkheads. It was not Queenie; it was bakasi. The summary for this story is, "H.G. Wells is on yet another journey through several universes, trying to save the world. Tired and sick of what she has seen so far, Lois has just one question: Why help all those lunkheads?"

Both are extremely short and fun reads.

Joy,
Lynn

S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Groobie,
That's cool. I forgot to list you along Lynn, Queenie, Labby and Wendy, but you're up there with them for what little it's worth. I love your work. I just couldn't list everyone or the post would be a mile long.

Lynn,
OK, I know you did the parallel on purpose, but you do sound like a bit of a superhero, seriously. Then again, most people are. We just don't go around in our pajamas saving strangers (or in Tom Selleck's case. having his mustache save people). In answer to your question, I think Sherlock is one of the best things on television. I just hate the looooooong wait between seasons. By the way, thanks for the links to those 2 stories. I look forward to reading them soon.

Labrat,
Thank you for the huge compliment. I did actually watch the show years ago, but it'd been so long I had actually forgotten everything, so it was still just like I'd never seen it before. I'm glad you've enjoyed this thread, I have too. In fact, I've been coming to this forum several times a day just to see if anyone's added to this thread. Everyone's been awesome, and I really feel welcomed into the forum and like a member of the community.

I will email you soon to request the archive name change (what's your email?). Of course I included you in the list of my favorite writers for the Archive. Your stuff is great. I really enjoy it. It's some of the best written work I've ever read. Why is it all so long though?

As you may have noticed in my response to Lynn, I love Sherlock. Like you, I never had any interest in the original books or previous adaptions. I did try reading the books after seeing Sherlock, but having seen the show, it ruins the mystery aspect. What's your favorite episode?

That's all for now, just wanted to reply to everyone. If all goes well today, I'll be watching the last episode tonight and posting the last reviews tomorrow. I do have university work to do tonight, so obviously that has to come first. frown OK, time to end this post and I'd prefer to do so on a positive note. I know...... Chocolate & Puppies & The Sexy Person Of Your Choice.

Last edited by Suggs_With_A_Box; 12/09/15 02:42 PM.
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard