Summary: Issues surrounding identity and deepening relationships are at the core of this sequel to That Old Vat of Mine.

Title: Unique Individuals
By: Susan Young <groobie@verizon.net>
Submitted: June 2015
Rating: PG-13

Author’s Note: Thanks to Laura and Sue for their beta advice and support.

Prologue

One month ago...

‘Life is interesting,’ thought the man who had been born in a vat.

Barry looked at Lois – his Lois – and smiled. It seemed impossible that she was here with him, kissing shamelessly in the middle of Centennial Park. But everything about them seemed impossible, so he really shouldn’t have been so surprised.

After all, he was a clone of a superhero from another planet. And she was a clone of a reporter from the Daily Planet. Though they were created two years apart, it seemed like they had been made for each other.

Not true, though: Lex had made him to destroy and replace Superman. Lex had made Lois’ clone for – well, he didn’t know the reason. But knowing his father, the motivation couldn’t have been pure.

None of that mattered, though. What mattered is that he had found her – that he had been wandering through his favorite place in the world during lunch on a warm, sunny day and he had happened upon her sitting at the edge of the pond. His life as Barry had begun in this park two years earlier; it was right that the rest of his life should begin here, too.

Oh yes, he was sure, with a certainty that seemed to touch every fiber of his being, that his life had changed in a way that made it so clear that half of it had always been empty. Because he had finally found his Lois Lane.

Not his brother’s Lois – the one he had stolen kisses from and harbored inappropriate feelings for. She belonged to Clark. Lois’ sister, though – and he grinned broadly at the beautiful woman gazing at him – she belonged to him.

She reached out with her right hand and gently caressed the curve of his cheek. “So, you’re a clone, just like me?”

Barry placed his right hand against her side, smoothing his hand down the contour of her waist, and settled at the curve of her hip. “I bet there are a few differences,” he said seductively.

She smiled – a deliciously wicked smile that he’d dreamed of seeing for so long – and her eyes sparkled with mischief. She stroked her fingertips past his neck and spread her palm over his chest. Her thumb restlessly wandered across his sternum, teasing him to distraction. “I bet you’re right, Barry.”

He sucked in a breath at the lilt of her voice as she said his name. *His* name, not his brother’s name. It was like every fantasy he had ever had just came true.

Barry was about to breathe her name – moan her name, really – but he stopped himself. Because if he wasn’t Clark, then surely she wasn’t Lois. She needed her own name, her own identity.

He leaned forward slightly, and she swayed towards him, as if it was the most natural thing for them to do. His hand gripped firmly on her hip as he pressed his lips securely against hers, and he swam in the sensation of their shared intimacy. Her hand curled against his chest, and he moaned softly, an unintelligible sound that identified nothing other than his bliss.

Their kiss ended and they broke apart slightly. “So what should I call you?” Barry asked, curious as to what she might say.

She looked slightly confused. “Can’t I be Lois, too?”

Barry shook his head firmly. “No. You’re you. Unique. Perfectly wonderful in your own right. You should have your own name.”

She leaned back, her eyebrows knit in thought. “Well, while I was pretending to be Lois, she was pretending to be Wanda Detroit. So since she’s Lois again, I guess that makes me Wanda now.”

Barry cocked his head slightly as he considered the logic. “Wanda, eh?” Then he smiled. “Yeah, you look like a Wanda to me.”

Wanda smiled seductively, then leaned forward. She bent her head to the side, then whispered in his ear, “Say it while I’m doing this.” Then she licked the column of his neck, trailing soft kisses against his skin.

Barry shuddered slightly, and then moaned, “Oh, Wanda.”

She giggled – a flirty, feminine sound that he recognized from the moms at the kids parties and the women at the adult parties. Those had all been fun ladies, and he liked having a good time. But suddenly, it felt like no other woman existed, that his entire world had narrowed, and that he’d spend the rest of his life doing everything in his power to please her. A crazy thought, but hey, they were both clones, so their whole existence was crazy.

Barry leaned back as he heard a vendor’s bell chime. “Do you want some dessert?”

Wanda’s face lit up. “Oh, yes!”

Barry laughed as he pulled a ten dollar bill out of his pocket and handed it to her. She squealed as she shook the money in her fist. “What do you want?” Wanda asked.

He winked. “Surprise me.” Barry watched Wanda skip away towards the vendor. He pulled off his shirt, balling it up as he tucked it under his head and laid back onto the grass. He closed his eyes and basked in the warm, radiant sunlight. He could feel his cellular structure recharging, like a crock pot slowly warming nacho cheese to a bubbling boil.

Barry felt her presence a moment before Wanda said, “Wow.” He opened his eyes and saw her licking a Popsicle as she gawked appreciatively at his body.

“Enjoying your treat?” Barry asked playfully.

Wanda deliberately slid the Popsicle past her lips before answering, “Absolutely.” Then she held out an ice cream bar to him before sitting down on the grass.

Barry bit into the chocolate coating and scooped up some of the underlying ice cream with his tongue. Such a simple treat seemed infinitely more enjoyable because she was by his side. “So,” he asked between bites, “What do you want to do next?”

A small frown appeared on Wanda’s face. “I don’t know. I don’t have anything to do. Lex is dead, and Clark has Lois, and I’m all alone.”

Barry sat up quickly, taking Wanda’s free hand in his. “You will never be alone again. You’ll always have me.”

“Really?” She smiled shyly. “I don’t even have a place to live. I don’t have money or a job – gosh, if I’m going to live longer than two weeks...I don’t even know where to begin!”

“Wanda,” he whispered sympathetically. Two years ago, he had been in her position – had to create a life for himself other than the one that had been built on Lex Luthor’s lies. Thankfully, he had found a friend in Sammy.

Barry smiled as their course of action seemed clear. He said with conviction, “Stay with me. I have a friend who can help you get a new identity and a job. And I’ll give you everything else you’d ever need.”

Wanda smiled and said, “I’d love that.” Then she leaned forward, and Barry responded, pressing forward and kissing her back. The taste of her cherry-flavored lips was delightful.

He felt a drop of ice cream melt onto his hand; Barry laughed as he broke the kiss. “Oops!” he said, before trying to catch another drop with his tongue.

Wanda laughed and pushed Barry back onto the grass. She leaned over him and slowly, seductively, kissed him. Then she looked into his eyes, and it seemed like time had frozen, like the universe had paused at this perfect moment, giving them both time to memorize every detail.

“You’re so sweet,” Wanda said with a teasing smile. Then she backed away slightly and licked her Popsicle.

Barry felt a familiar pressure building as he watched her knowingly tease him. He finished his ice cream bar, and then stretched out to soak in the rays of the sun. After Wanda ate the remainder of her treat, she laid down beside him. Barry reached his arm out and she laid her head on it like a pillow, snuggling into the crook of his arm. Perfection – she fit like they were made for each other.

“My friend Sammy is a talent agent. We could talk to him tomorrow about finding you a job.”

Wanda nodded enthusiastically. “Lois is a good singer. I can sing, too. I can do everything she can.”

Barry looked at her out of the corner of his eye. “I want you to do whatever you want to do. I don’t want you to be her.”

She smiled and kissed him on the cheek. “What do you do?”

“I pretend to be Superman. It pays more than you’d think.”

Her eyes opened wide. “Oh! Can you...” Then she stopped short and firmly shut her mouth.

Barry turned his head to look at her. “I can do lots of things.”

Wanda chewed on her lip, then looked into his eyes. She whispered, “I know a secret about Clark. But I was bad and told Lex, and then Lex tried to hurt him. So I promised Clark I’d never tell anyone else ever again.”

Barry grinned conspiratorially and whispered, “I know his secret, too.”

Wanda’s face lit up. “Can you do what he does?”

Barry nodded, though he was slightly concerned by the delight in her voice. “Yeah, but I don’t if I can help it. I just want to be me.”

Wanda rolled onto her side, laying her leg on top of his. She placed her left hand on his chest. “I totally get it. And I won’t tell anyone. I pinky swear.”

“Cool,” Barry said, sealing the promise with a kiss.

She wandered her palm over his chest, lightly drawing a random pattern with her fingertips. His skin tingled at every place she touched him. “I was supposed to take her place for Clark, you know.”

Barry cocked his head and glanced at her with a look of curiosity, hoping she’d continue her thought.

Wanda seemed to grimace slightly as she recalled her memories. “Lex had me watch movies so I’d know what to do. I took her place at the wedding and then I went home with him, but we never...” She shook her head and glanced away for a moment before adding, “As soon as Clark realized I wasn’t his Lois, he didn’t want me anymore.”

Barry felt that familiar, conflicted feeling at her mention of Lex’s name, but decided that Wanda needed to hear his story, too. “Lex made me and trained me to replace Superman. He also told me to stay away from Lois, but I went to her apartment and kissed her anyway. As soon as she realized I wasn’t my brother, she didn’t want me, either.”

Wanda pressed her hand into Barry’s chest and rose to hover over him. She looked at him meaningfully and said, “I want you.”

Barry placed his hand at her hip and replied, “I want you, too.”

She sucked in a breath, then laid her chest on top of his, stealing a smoldering kiss. Barry’s lips parted as his tongue rolled out to meet hers; his hand slid up her back possessively. She moaned and tilted her head, deepening the kiss, and his body reacted with a heat that he recognized, and yet more powerful than he had ever sensed.

And then she moaned, “Barry...” His name, not his brother’s. Perfection.

“Wanda,” he gasped, and he felt her press her body more securely against his.

He broke the kiss, pushing her slightly away, fully aware that they were behaving rather inappropriately in light of their public location. But he smiled wickedly at the thought of what he could do with her in private.

And she seemed to read his mind. “Take me home,” she said with a rapturous gleam in her eye.

“Absolutely.” Wanda rolled off him; Barry stood up, reaching his hands out and pulling her into his arms. He hugged her, then released her so that he could put on his shirt. He laced his fingers with hers and began to stroll through the park, headed for home.

Then she laughed, almost to herself, before sliding her eyes sideways. “Hey, Barry...”

He looked back at her, mirroring her happy expression. “Yes, dear?”

She winked, and then said, “Stand by to be stunned.”

Barry unlocked and opened the door to his apartment and politely motioned for Wanda to step inside.

As she passed him, Wanda gave a flirtatious smile, which he returned. It seemed the most natural thing for them to do, as if their easy friendship had been built up over years together instead of an hour of real time.

It hadn’t been this easy with Clark. Oh, she had tried – she had been determined not to let Lex down – but from the beginning, that awkward first night together...no, something had just felt wrong.

Wanda paused before entering the apartment; she reached out with her hand and stroked Barry’s cheek, and his smile grew wider. She leaned towards him and he responded, bending down slightly and giving her a quick kiss. A giggle bubbled out of her, and then she continued past the threshold. Barry followed behind and closed the door.

It was a modest place in a modest neighborhood – a studio apartment with a corner kitchen, table with two chairs, a comfortable sofa, and the largest television she had ever seen. Wanda ran towards it, throwing her arms wide as if to measure the TV’s width. “Oh my God, that’s so awesome!”

Barry laughed. “I love TV. So many stories about different kinds of people, and I’ve learned so much about life by watching it. And sometimes my brother’s on there. I like seeing what he’s up to.”

Wanda turned to face him. “Your brother? You mean Clark?”

He nodded. “Yeah. That’s what we call each other. I mean, I know it’s not really true, but I guess it makes me feel better to know that I’m more than just a carbon copy.”

Wanda’s eyes widened slightly in surprise. “You two are friends? Do you actually talk to each other?”

“Sure. Not every day or anything like that, but we run into each other. He’s pretty busy, though.”

Wanda nervously asked, “Do you talk to Lois, too?”

A look crossed his face; Barry glanced away for a moment before answering, “No.”

“Oh.” Wanda tried to stop herself from asking, but curiosity got the better of her. “Why not?”

Barry took a few steps towards his kitchen counter, setting his keys down, clearly stalling. Then he turned towards her and said, “It’s too hard.”

Wanda’s eyes lowered to the floor. Something about the tone in his voice – no, it was better if she didn’t analyze it. Better if she didn’t think about his feelings for another woman.

Barry sighed audibly. “I thought I loved her. Right from the moment I laid eyes on her, I was drawn to her. I kissed her – I’ve kissed her twice, actually. But she loves Clark – she always will. So it was too hard to be around her, because I had these dreams that would never come true.”

Wanda frowned slightly. “Well, I know I’m just a copy, but I can try and be her for you.”

She saw him stride towards her and looked up in time to see him shaking his head. “No, that’s just it. I don’t want her. I was wrong. I just didn’t know it until I met you.” He took her hands into his, squeezing gently. “When I saw you in the park and found out that you weren’t her, it’s like everything in my life suddenly made sense. And when I kiss you – wow, it doesn’t even compare to her or any other woman in the world. One hour ago, I learned why I’m here: I was born to love you.”

Wanda’s heart leapt into her throat; she was caught by the onslaught of emotion in his voice. She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him fiercely. His arms embraced her, and the world faded away.

“Wanda...” He moaned softly, then continued the kiss as he pressed against her. Wanda’s body tingled in excitement, which, she thought, meant something important.

She hadn’t felt this way about Clark. Honestly, Clark had kind of scared her. Her mind flashed back to the night of their wedding. She had put on sexy lingerie, just like Lex taught her, and she had climbed into bed. Clark didn’t have a shirt on, and he had so many muscles – not her type at all. Well, she hadn’t thought so at the time, but she had been wrong about so many things.

She thought her type was lean and domineering. Thought she loved a man who controlled and commanded her. She had thought she was in love with Lex.

So she had been determined to prove her love for Lex by obeying his wishes. But then Clark started whispering heartfelt words, showing her a kindness and sincerity she had never seen before. The emotion in Clark’s eyes and voice had been more frightening than Lex’s harsh attitude had ever been.

It was easier to lie – to put off Clark’s sexual advances and to tell Lex that Clark wasn’t her type. She hadn’t wanted to admit the truth: nobody really loved her. Clark loved Lois, Lex loved Lois, and Wanda was just a pathetic copy not good enough for either of the men she’d willingly be with.

When she had learned Clark’s secret, she had immediately seen the advantages – being Superman’s wife seemed cool. He could give her anything she needed, everything she wanted – he could provide for her and protect her. And that realization had made her begin to think about Lex in a different way. She didn’t need him – she had other options. It gave her the confidence to assert herself. And it hadn’t taken too long for her to change her mind about Clark’s physical attributes.

Wanda broke off her kiss and pulled back to look over Barry’s body, at the bulging muscles peeking out from his short sleeves, and at the tight t-shirt that hugged the magnificent flesh he had bared in the park. Wanda gently placed the palm of her right hand against his chest. She slid her hand over his firm pecs; he stood confidently, allowing her hand to roam freely over his body.

Wanda giggled to herself. Barry was delicious. He was sweet and charming and gorgeous and he was all hers. He would support her and protect her and give her everything she’d ever need or want. Which was good, since she only had a few days left to live.

Sure, Barry said that Lex had lied, that she’d be around for much longer. She wanted to believe that so much, but maybe he was wrong. Well, she wasn’t just going to mope around for the next few days – she was going to live life to the fullest. She’d make a lifetime of memories with him now, and if she was still here in a week’s time, she’d be well on her way to building a life with him for the future.

Wanda kissed Barry again, then smiled against his lips. “So, you gonna give me the grand tour of your place?”

Barry threw his head back and laughed. He swept his hand around the room. “Ta-da.” Though he did nod his head towards a closed door and said, “The bathroom’s in there.”

Wanda surveyed the sparse furnishings. She shrugged off her jacket, tossing it onto the back of his chair. “I like what you’ve done with the place.”

“I know it’s not glamorous, but I really don’t need much. Sammy set up a bank account for me and automatically deposits all of my paychecks, so I’ve got a nice bit of savings piled up. I mostly just live off my tips.” He looked around the room once, and then added, “But if you’re going to live with me, we could find a better place.”

She coyly batted her eyelashes and said, “You’re here. This is my home.”

He smiled. “Well, then, welcome home.”

Wanda gave him a quick kiss, then cocked her eyebrow as she noticed the absence of an important piece of furniture. “Where’s your bed?”

He grinned broadly. “You’d never guess! It’s the coolest thing ever!” Barry crossed over to a large wood frame on the wall and pulled it down. “It’s called a Murphy bed,” he said.

Wanda squealed with delight. “Oh my God, that’s so frickin’ awesome!” She toed off her shoes, climbed onto the bed, and bounced lightly, testing the quality of the mattress. “Comfy,” she said playfully as she patted the bed.

Barry kicked off his shoes and sat down on the bed next to her, nudging her over to make room. “It gets the job done.”

Wanda’s eyes pointedly surveyed him. She wanted him, badly. She didn’t need prior experience – her body instinctively knew what to do.

Barry puckered his lips and Wanda kissed him. He said, “Now that you’re here, I’m never going to let you go.”

She smiled. “Good, because I don’t want to be anywhere else.”

Barry quietly closed his front door, glanced at his sleeping girlfriend, then silently made his way to the bathroom. He set the plastic bag full of his drugstore purchases onto the counter and then smiled at his reflection in the mirror.

Amazing how one day could so radically change a person’s life.

Barry closed the bathroom door and flicked on the switch. He frowned at the harsh glare cast by the fluorescent light. No, that wouldn’t do at all. He pulled out four vanilla-scented candles and strategically placed them around the small room. He focused his heat vision and lit the candles, then quietly laughed at his use of super powers to create a romantic mood.

Barry leaned over his bathtub and turned on the faucet, carefully checking the water’s temperature. He fished a bottle of Calgon from the shopping bag and squeezed a generous portion into the pooling water, amused by the foaming bubbles. Wanda would love it.

A glow seemed to radiate from his heart as he thought about her. Wanda was, without a doubt, the love of his life. He knew it – he felt it with an absolute certainty. He took a pair of bottles out of the bag and set the shampoo and conditioner, the most expensive ones he had seen in the store, next to his humble store-brand shampoo. He added a bar of Dove, chosen because the package claimed it was good for moisturizing soft, sensitive skin. He nodded with satisfaction as he turned off the faucet, and then placed the last item from his bag on the counter. Secret was apparently strong enough for a man, but made for a woman. Barry flicked off the light switch and quietly opened the bathroom door.

He laid down on the bed beside her. He rolled onto his side and pulled up the light blanket he had placed over her, making sure she was warm. Then he watched her, content to lay silently by her side, drinking in her presence.

She had fallen asleep moments after they had shared what, for him, had been the most intensely pleasurable encounter of his life. Wanda must have been tired, which wasn’t surprising given what she had told him about nearly dying in a collapsed building earlier in the day. Barry let his eyes wander over her exposed arms and frowned as he saw the beginning of a bruise forming, marring the perfection of her porcelain skin.

Guilt flashed through him – he should have noticed the bruises before. He should have been more attentive earlier. But no, he had rushed his time with her, caught up in the sudden joy her existence had brought to his life. Barry resolved to make up for the oversight. He would treat her like a queen.

Wanda stirred; her eyelashes fluttered open. She seemed to search the room with confusion, but then smiled when her eyes met his. Barry smoldered a seductive smile as he felt his body react to the sight of hers.

Wanda rolled onto her side to face him, tucking the top edge of the blanket across her chest. “How long was I asleep?”

Barry glanced at a clock. “A couple of hours.” He smoothed his fingers over her hair, tucking some strands behind her ear. “You must have been exhausted.”

Her lips curled into a wry smile. “Well, it’s been one heck of a day.”

“It sure has.” He frowned as his right hand lightly skimmed across her arm. “You’re hurt.”

“I’m fine. Really.”

Barry tugged at the edge of the blanket. Wanda rolled onto her back, allowing him to pull the cover away. His eyes travelled up and down her body, and he discovered more bruising along the outside of her legs. “I’m here now,” he said. He got up from the bed and scooped her into his arms. “I’m never going to let anyone hurt you again.”

Wanda giggled and pulled an arm around his neck. “My hero!”

Barry smiled radiantly as he carried Wanda to the bathroom. He set her down at the doorway and gestured towards the tub.

Wanda squealed in delight. “That’s perfect!”

“Just like you.”

Wanda pressed her body against his and ran her hand along his side. “Too bad that tub doesn’t have room for two.”

He winked. “Let’s put that on the ‘Must Have’ list for our next apartment.”

Barry kissed her again, and then cleared his throat as he stepped past her towards the tub. He directed a burst of heat vision into the pooled water. He swirled his hand through the bubbles to check the water’s temperature. Satisfied, he said, “Hop on in.”

“With pleasure!” Wanda carefully stepped into the tub, then sat down, immersing herself in the warm water. She moaned with rapture as she closed her eyes and laid her head back against the wall. “This is heaven,” she said. “You’re too good to me.”

Barry sat down on the tile floor next to the tub and leaned against the wall with his legs outstretched. “Nothing is too good for you.”

She lolled her head to the side and looked at him with a sparkle in her eyes. “How did I ever get lucky enough to find you?”

“It was more than luck. It was fate. Destiny. Like the universe wanted us to find each other and drew us together.”

“You’re a hopeless romantic, aren’t you?” she asked with a light laugh.

“I guess you could say that. But it’s really more about what I’ve seen in the world. You can watch the news on TV and hear about crime and corruption, but then you can turn around and see small acts of kindness and charity in your own neighborhood. It’s like there’s a cosmic balance – every evil act is countered by a good one. Positive and negative. Yin and yang.”

“Oh. Not a romantic – a philosopher!”

Barry shrugged. “Maybe just an optimist.” He paused for a moment, and then quietly said, “Maybe I just need a way to justify my life. I wasn’t born out of the love two people feel for each other. I was created by one man whose heart was filled with hate. He didn’t want me – he just wanted to use me.” He shook his head. “But my life should mean more than that. I’m better than what Lex Luthor wanted me to be.”

“It doesn’t sound like the universe tipped the balance. You did it all by yourself.”

Barry sighed deeply. “Yeah, but I’ve been selfish. I could do so much more – I have the ability to make the world a better place. But I just want to be me, living quietly and happily under the radar. Clark is out there saving the world, and I just sit by and let him. I think that’s why the universe gave him Lois, and I’ve just been given a string of meaningless relationships.”

“Well then, by your own theory, you must be doing something right, because the universe just gave me to you.”

“Ah, well see, that’s all about you. Lex created you so he could use you for his own selfish purposes. So the universe is balancing that out by making you the light of my life.”

“Hey, watch it, mister. I didn’t kick Lex to the curb just to become your kept woman.”

Barry flushed with embarrassment. “Oops. That came out wrong. It’s just...”

Wanda sat up and leaned towards him. “I’m the yin to your yang?”

Barry shivered at the seductive pitch of her voice. “Absolutely.”

“The other half of your whole?”

Barry got onto his knees, bracing his hands against the tub surround. With his lips an inch away from hers, he whispered, “Absolutely,” before sharing a kiss.

Wanda’s wet hands encircled him. He parted his lips and she deepened the kiss, slipping her tongue against his. As the kiss ended, she murmured, “Thanks, universe.”

A thought flashed into his consciousness: he loved Wanda with every fiber of his being. He wanted to belong to her, be part of her, share everything with her.

Wanda carefully stepped out of the tub, pulled a towel off the rack, and dried herself off. Barry grabbed his comb off the counter and stood behind her. Heat seemed to radiate off her body as he pulled the comb through her hair, gently working knots out of the strands. He saw the slight smile playing on her lips when he glanced over her shoulder and took in their reflection in the mirror. They looked perfect together.

He finished with her hair, and she turned to face him, looping her arms around his waist and stealing a kiss. She leaned against his body and the kiss deepened on instinct, but then Barry broke their embrace. “Get dressed.”

Wanda pouted. “Awwww. Party pooper.”

He kissed the tip of her nose, then led her out of the bathroom. He picked their clothes off the floor and apologized, “I’m sorry I didn’t get a chance to wash these. The laundry room is downstairs. I didn’t know how long you’d be asleep, and I wanted to make sure I was here when you woke up.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Wanda said as she got dressed.

Barry picked up his wallet and keys. “I’ll make it up to you,” he said with a wink. “Let’s go shopping.”

Wanda’s whole face lit up in excitement. She ran to him, jumped into his arms, and squealed with glee, “You are officially the best boyfriend ever!”

Feedback feeds the soul!

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink