Fly Hard- Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously

When they arrived at the Planet on Monday morning the place was in an uproar. Workmen were scrambling to repair the damage done to Perry's office, techs were replacing the damaged sprinkler head, and computer techs were replacing computers damaged by the water.

Lois spotted Perry as he was watching all the activity and asked, "How's it going, Chief?"

Perry just shook his head and said, "Oh well, I guess the place needed a lift."

While Lois was talking with Perry, Clark grabbed their box of tax info and moved it to his desk and as he and Lois sat down to start typing up the story, Cat came in. She looked insufferably pleased with herself.

Lois asked, "How's George?"

"What a weekend. You know, I usually use handcuffs … a different way. I know he may not look it, but under that plain, mild-mannered facade, George is a wild man. When I left him a little while ago he was resting peacefully."

"Your place or his?"

"Mine, naturally! How could I take care of him properly at his place? I have this apparatus that hangs above the bed …"

Lois was mystified by this and asked, "Why would he have to have his arm suspended?"

"Not his arm, silly, ME!"

Lois started to flush and said, "TMI!"

Cat smiled and said, "Try it, you might like it. I can just imagine that it is what it would be like with Superman, floating above the bed …"

Lois's flush deepened as she recalled doing that very thing with Clark.

Cat spotted Lois's blush and walked up close to her, put her arm around her shoulders and lead her to a more private area before she said, "Lois, I saw that blush. You can't hide that kind of thing from me. Did you really do the dirty with Superman that way? Does Clark know?"

Lois stammered out, "No … no … uh, no I didn't … didn't do that with … with Superman. No, not with Superman. No."

Cat challenged, "But you fantasized about it, didn't you?. Come on, you can be straight with me. I won't tell Clark."

In order to throw Cat off the trail, she went with what Cat was suggesting, "Well, yeah. I guess every girl has her fantasies." She thought, <In my case they came true.>

Nodding in understanding, Cat let it drop at that point and strode back to her desk.

All this time Clark had been humming to himself to block his hearing from listening to Cat. Well, that, and the reason it had been a really good night.

And Now:

Chapter 9

Later that week, after all of the work was finished and things were back to normal the story of the break-in and the search for Dragonetti's loot hit the pages of the Daily Planet. It was not a front page headline, but the story did grab the attention of Lex Luthor.

Nigel happened to be in the office as Luthor was reading it. "It says here that, ‘The mastermind of the robbery was Dragonetti's former partner who had recently been released from prison.' And that ‘significant damage was done to the building and equipment.'" Putting the paper down he asked, "How can we capitalize on this incident?"

Nigel offered, "From that I would speculate that they were making a significant cash outlay, unexpectedly. Perhaps diverting funds from other activities."

Luthor mused, "Yes, I wonder what would happen if suddenly, but not too suddenly, they started losing subscribers and ad revenue? Some months ago, when Preston Carpenter tried to put them out of business, he almost succeeded. I wonder if they are still feeling the effects of that situation. Could this be capitalized upon?"

"If you were to pull the advertising for the various companies within Lexcorp it could have a significant impact."

"Something to consider. On another matter, what has been done about Kent? I see his name on this byline."

"The last attempt was made with a sedan as opposed to a truck. The driver disappeared after his failure."

"That doesn't disturb you?"

"No. I'm sure that he realized the price of failure and decided to disappear."

"I still want Kent disposed of. I must have Lois Lane and the only way that will happen is if he is eliminated. There is one more requirement; we must eliminate Superman as well. Based upon what I've seen, if Kent were eliminated, she would have no problem switching her affections to him. I've seen it for myself."

"That would be particularly difficult, if I might say so."

"I don't know about that. I've heard rumors. Rumors about a rock, a particular green rock. There are some former military in prison. Apparently they were part of a renegade, or at least what is being called a renegade organization that was trying to destroy Superman. The word is that they found the rock. Lois wrote the story after the encounter and claimed that this rock was a figment of the leader's imagination. Not according to his minions. He died at Lane's hands, but not before he found the rock he sought. We need to contact this minion and get all of the information we can from him."

"Yes, sir. I'll begin making inquiries immediately. But suppose that even after having found this rock, it proves to be ineffective. Then you will have simply garnered Superman's wrath."

"That is nothing new. The only reason he hasn't acted against us to this point is the fact that we have been and continue to be very careful. Eventually it will come to an open confrontation and I want to be the one to win and this rock could be the weakness we've been looking for."

"As you wish."

"Now, back to Kent. What do you have planned?"

"He is to be killed in a particularly violent mugging gone wrong."

"When?"

"Soon. I have men watching so that we can develop a pattern of behavior. Lacking that we will try to lure him away from Lane."

"Keep me posted."

"Yes, sir."

Lois and Clark were passing through the Brightview section. Each time through they were taking a different route and checking out the houses in the area. On this trip, Lois noticed that there was a car that appeared to be following them. She said, "I think I've seen that car before. I think it's following us."

"In that case, don't go to the safe house. We can't afford to be followed there and compromise it."

Accordingly, as they drove they would stop occasionally and get out of the car to ‘take a closer look' at a particular house. In this way they confirmed the car was following them and Clark was able to zoom in with his telescopic vision to get a look at the driver.

Eventually they drove to the Twelfth Precinct. Once they were in Bill's office, Clark asked if he could see the mug books. He wanted to identify the thug that was following them. Bill led them into a small room and after giving them the books left, closing the door behind him.

Since the room had no windows or mirrors which could be one way glass, Clark started going through the books at super-speed. After only five minutes he had identified the driver as Frank Duggins. Frank had a rap sheet as long as his arm. After waiting an additional ten minutes, carrying the book they entered Bill's office again.

Pointing to the picture, Clark said, "Him. This is the guy that has been following us."

Bill looked at the picture and said, "I don't have any reason to pick him up right now. He doesn't have any outstanding warrants, not even a moving violation."

Lois said, "I'm just glad I spotted him. This way we didn't lead him to the safe house. Where are we on the investigation?"

"I have a friendly judge that has given me some blank warrants. All I have to do is fill in the name. He has also signed off on holding and sequestering anyone we nab indefinitely, without charging them. That bird that tried to run you down the last time didn't know much, like the truck driver. All he would say was that it was someone with a British accent that hired him to perform the hit."

"Well, that's something, at least. That fits Nigel St. John like a glove."

"Now, hold on, Lois, Nigel St. John isn't the only one with a British accent in the city."

"Jack identified Nigel's voice on that tape. You have that affidavit. Do you have enough to bring him in for questioning? You could at least charge him with receiving stolen property."

"You may be right, Clark, but the problem would be exercising the warrant."

Lois said, "Leave that up to us. We may be able to get Superman to help execute the warrant."

"That would help. I'll make out the warrant. Have Superman stop by here and pick it up. He has to have it in his possession when he executes it."

"Give it a few days and he'll be in."

On Friday, Clark received a call from Henderson informing him that the warrant for St. John was ready and that Superman could pick it up at any time.

Clark told him that he would pass on the information and that he should be there soon.

Later that afternoon, Superman strode into the Twelfth Precinct and walked down the hall to Henderson's office. Once he had entered he said, "I understand that you wished to see me, Inspector."

"Yes, that's right, Superman. I need to ask you to assist us. I have a warrant here to bring Nigel St. John in for questioning. Could you execute this warrant for us?"

"I'd be happy to, Inspector." He reached out and Henderson placed it in his hand. He placed it in the secret pocket in his cape and nodding turned and left.

Later that evening, Luthor called Nigel to his office. "Well, what about Kent?"

"The hit is scheduled for this evening. He's being called to meet a source again. The mugging will take place then."

"Nigel, I want you there to see to it that no mistakes are made. You may watch from a distance."

"Very good, sir."

Late in the afternoon, Clark received a call from an anonymous source requesting a meeting.

Lois was instantly suspicious. "Here we go again. This is probably going to be another attempt on your life."

After thinking for a second, he asked, "What if they succeed this time?"

"Huh, what do you mean?"

"What if we let Luthor think he succeeded? What would he do?"

"He's been trying to get you out of the way so that he could romance me."

"If we allowed that to happen, what would be the result?"

Lois's intuition finally kicked in and she answered, "I'd be on the inside and maybe I could find more evidence."

"You'd have to be very careful."

"What about you?"

"I would go undercover. Look, Lucy is in your old apartment. It has two bedrooms. Do you think she'd mind a roommate for a while?"

"But what about us?" she wailed.

"On weekends, I could whisk you away. You could visit your sister; maybe even have an all-nighter or two."

"I don't know if I can do this."

"If it gets to be too much, I come back and we try something else."

"I think we need to bring Lucy in on The Secret."

"You may be right. I think we can trust her and that way she could help."

Before Clark went to the rendezvous he called Henderson and told him his suspicions. Henderson promised to be on scene.

Clark showed up for the meeting. It was in an alley down near the docks. Lois stayed with the car to watch for any more hit-and-run drivers when he returned.

Cautiously he entered the alley. His super-senses were active and he heard four distinct heartbeats so he knew what he would be up against and prepared, mentally. He would use the karate he had been learning so that he didn't give anything away.

Apparently unconcerned, he moved down the alley. When he was about thirty feet in four individuals came out of hiding, surrounding him.

Innocently he asked the apparent leader, "Are you the one I was supposed to meet?"

Sneeringly he replied, "Yeah, that's me, but you won't survive the meeting. Get him."

Clark saw that the plan was to make it look like a mugging that turned fatal and moved into a defensive stance.

The one directly behind him was closest and was swinging a blackjack at his head. The weighted head, swung with sufficient force could easily crack the skull of the victim.

Clark spun in place and reached up with his right hand, intercepting the swing and grasping the wrist matched the downward movement and slightly misdirected it. His left hand found his upper arm. While his right continued to pull down the left pushed straight ahead. Using the arm as a lever he pivoted the crook over and he slammed to the pavement on his back, unconscious.

Clark didn't stop moving because the second assailant was about to strike. This thug's weapon of choice was a knife which was aimed at Clark's back. Clark's spin with the first assailant had taken him away from where the second thug had intended to strike. Clark continued to spin and grabbing the knife hand yanked and used the thug's own momentum against him causing him to stumble ahead and crash headlong into the brick wall of the building bordering the alley.

Clark didn't have time to relish his easy victories so far as thug number three came at him. He was wearing a set of brass knuckles that had very wicked spikes projecting from the striking surface. They were long enough to cause a wicked gash, possibly puncture a major blood vessel if he struck the correct spot. Clark had not stopped spinning and as he rounded on this third foe he sidestepped his strike and grabbing his outstretched arm, continued his spin making him cartwheel into a wall.

Thug number four had stayed back. He was shocked to see this demonstration the martial arts for he recognized it for what it was. His hand was already inside his jacket and as Clark disposed of his third associate he pulled a 9 mm automatic from a shoulder holster. He couldn't credit what he was seeing as he watched Clark start to close the distance. Undeterred he pointed at his chest and pulled the trigger.

There was the scream of a ricochet and Clark was on him. A karate chop removed the gun from his hand and an uppercut knocked him out.

A few minutes later, Bill Henderson showed up with a small squad. Indicating the unconscious group he said, "Cuff ‘em."

The gun wielder was the first to recover. He pointed at Clark and said, "He must be Superman. I shot him and … nothin'. It didn't even slow him down."

Bill asked, "Where did you aim?"

The thug wondered why he was being asked, but answered anyhow, "The chest."

Bill turned to Clark and said, "You were lucky. I warned you that if they tried a head shot you'd be in trouble." He turned back to the thug and said, "Clark has been wearing a bullet proof vest under his clothes since these attempts on his life started happening."

Lois had been watching the alley and saw a figure break from cover and head away. She recognized the figure as it passed under a street light. Rolling down her window, Lois spoke in a normal voice, knowing that Clark would hear her, "Clark, Nigel St. John was watching. He's getting away."

Hearing Lois, Clark turned to Bill and said, "Bill, if you don't mind, I have something I need to do."

Without waiting for Bill's response, Clark ran out of the alley and up to the Jeep. "Which way?"

Lois pointed and just then they both heard an engine start. Clark ducked around to the other side of the car, away from the alley, spun into the Suit and took off in pursuit overtaking the car easily. Flying down he grabbed the roof by reaching in through the windows on both sides and lifted the car into the air. As the car came off of the pavement the engine over revved due to the lack of resistance until Nigel took his foot off the gas pedal.

Superman flew the car to the police impound lot next to the safe house. He pulled Nigel from the car and said, "I have a warrant for your arrest," then he took him by the collar and led him inside.

The sergeant seeing Superman coming in through the door was immediately on his feet and led the way back to the cells. Nigel’s personal possessions were removed, catalogued and bagged. His gun was confiscated and bagged as evidence. Any time a weapon has the serial numbers removed it is illegal and possession of such a weapon is a felony and Nigel’s gun fell into that category. He was given a jumpsuit and directed to change. Once he had changed he was placed in a cell and locked up.

Nigel’s famed British reserve vanished as he was screaming about a phone call and wanting a lawyer as the warder and Superman left, closing the cellblock door behind them.

Once that door was closed Nigel looked around and saw individuals that he knew. Among them was the driver he had hired to run Kent down. Seeing him he knew he was in trouble.

He addressed Nigel, "You might as well save your breath. Once you are in here, you are outside the system. This is a special lock-up. There will be no call and no lawyer."

This told Nigel everything he needed to know. He was, after all a former member of Her Majesty's Secret Service. He could see which way the wind was blowing and realized that they weren't really after him. They were after bigger fish … Lex Luthor. He quickly came to the realization that cooperation would be his only means of escaping this situation with an intact skin. With that realization he stepped over to the bed and lay down with his fingers laced and his hands behind his neck All he could do now was wait and see what kind of a deal he could make.

When Clark returned to Lois he climbed into the passenger seat and they headed out. "Okay, I delivered Nigel to the safe house, now it's up to Bill. I don't think it will take Luthor long to miss his assistant so we have to make our plans quickly. Let's go back to the apartment. I need to grab some clothes"

"I hope you know what you're doing."

"Clark Kent has to disappear. You're going to write an article saying that I'm missing and presumed dead. We'll have to tell Bill what we're doing so that he can give a search lip service and not waste department resources, but it still has to be on the blotter so that Luthor's sources in the MPD can inform him. This is where we can use them to feed Luthor false information. You drop me off. I'll pack and meet you at Lucy's."

"Okay, but I don't like this idea. I miss you already and you're sitting here beside me.”

"It'll work out, Lois. It has to. This is our best chance to get the real goods on Luthor."

"Well, it won't take much acting ability on my part. I'm going to miss you so much it will look like I'm in mourning."

"When I meet you at Lucy's, we'll tell her The Secret and explain what's happening and enlist her aid. I should pose as her new boyfriend, Charlie King."

"As long as she doesn't try to take advantage of the situation. She's had her eye on you since you started at the Planet."

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 06/02/15 11:38 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj