Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Create a story from a random character (non-major, non-co-starring, preferably from canon) where they may have happened to notice Clark acting Super or Superman acting ordinary. What does this person notice? How do they interpret it?

The stories should be short, one-part vignettes, preferably rated G.

Groobie and I have started us off with our stories: The Cabbie's Tale by VirginiaR and The Florist's Tale by groobie (aka Susan Young).

Or as groobie suggested:
Originally Posted by groobie
Other authors should write little stories, too. The Canterbury Tales of Metropolis. laugh

Which other characters fit this bill? The lady who witnesses Clark stop the bus. The homeless man who witnesses Clark fly. (Angel, I believe he calls Clark.) Who else can you think of?

The Canterbury Tales of Metropolis:

The Cabbie's Tale by VirginiaR

The Florist's Tale by groobie (aka Susan Young).

Platitudes by LWhite

The Slumlord's Tale by Lynn S.M.

The Look-ALike Agent's Tale by Lynn S.M.

The Nun's Tale by cuidadora

The Showgirl's Tale by by groobie (aka Susan Young).

Questionable Evidence by Deadly Chakram.

The Psychic's Tale by Annie B.

Jack's Story by Lynn S.M.

The First Lady's Tale by cuidadora.

Incognito by Deadly Chakram

This I'll Defend by Deadly Chakram

The Panhandler's Tale (1/1) By Lynn S.M.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 09/20/15 05:20 PM. Reason: Added new story

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
Hey, lurkers...this would be a great challenge for you! Surely you could put together a couple of typed pages worth of a story. And you'd be eligible for multiple Kerth awards - Super Short Story, Original/Supporting Character, and New Author! laugh

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I really like this challenge and have decided to write The Slumlord's Tale in response.

Joy,
Lynn

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I just thought of another whole group of people who could be candidates for telling a tale... During the NK arc, pretty much all of Smallville should have pieced together that CK=S; that's assuming, of course, that they hadn't figured it out long since. (See Shayne T.'s excellent story Gossip for more in that vein.)

Joy,
Lynn

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Here's another response to the challenge.

Virginia, do you plan to collect all the responses to this challenge and submit a single "Canterbury Tales of Metropolis" file to the archive, or would you prefer to have the authors submit their responses separately?

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LabRat, what do you think?

Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Virginia, do you plan to collect all the responses to this challenge and submit a single "Canterbury Tales of Metropolis" file to the archive, or would you prefer to have the authors submit their responses separately?
I had already submitted "A Cabbie's Tale" to Labby at the Archive before Groobie and I came up with this challenge. Feel free to mention the challenge in the story's description, though. Or you can link them by using the long title: "The Canterbury Tales of Metropolis: The Slumlord's Tale" to let the readers know that it is part of a series.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
I was going to submit mine separately, too, but include the challenge in the description. I like that you're updating the stories in the challenge thread, though, so that there's a list of them. Or Virginia can edit the first post in that thread as new stories are posted so the complete list is right at the top.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by groobie
I was going to submit mine separately, too, but include the challenge in the description. I like that you're updating the stories in the challenge thread, though, so that there's a list of them. Or Virginia can edit the first post in that thread as new stories are posted so the complete list is right at the top.
That I can do. smile

VirginiaR.
---
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I'll submit my stories separately then, and will add "In response to the "Canterbury Tales of Metropolis" challenge in parentheses to the end of the story titles.

Thanks again, Virginia, for coming up with this challenge.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Groobie - I feel like your story "Whining Ends" should be included in this. It was a great little look into Elise.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
Groobie - I feel like your story "Whining Ends" should be included in this. It was a great little look into Elise.
It's definitely a story from a minor character's point of view, but it's not about Superman in any way, so it doesn't fit the challenge. I appreciate your complement, though! blush

Features Writer
Features Writer
My submission is The Nun's Tale.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

That's an interesting question. Because, here's the thing... Now that we're linking series on the Archive, it occurred to me that we might also link challenge stories. If a reader has read one story response to a challenge they might be interested in reading how other authors tackled the same premise.

Lauren agreed, so I will shortly be mining various sources to identify challenge stories to be linked. And once I have that basic list, as with series, I'll post and ask for your help to identify more.

So, shorter answer - send them in separately and we'll link them together once they've been uploaded. thumbsup

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
LabRat,

Brilliant! And I mean that in both the British and the American sense of the word.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by LabRat
That's an interesting question. Because, here's the thing... Now that we're linking series on the Archive, it occurred to me that we might also link challenge stories. If a reader has read one story response to a challenge they might be interested in reading how other authors tackled the same premise.

Lauren agreed, so I will shortly be mining various sources to identify challenge stories to be linked. And once I have that basic list, as with series, I'll post and ask for your help to identify more.

So, shorter answer - send them in separately and we'll link them together once they've been uploaded. thumbsup

LabRat smile
So, please make a note when sending Canterbury Tales challenge submissions to LabRat that it is part of this series. In the meantime, I'll keep a running list on these boards. I believe I'm behind on that. blush

Brilliant! And I mean that in both the British and the American sense of the word.
confused Does it mean something else in England?

VirginiaR.
---
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally Posted By: Lynn S. M.
confused
Does it mean something else in England?

My understanding is that in the U.S., it means "extremely smart," but in Great Britain, it has a more general meaning of something positive -- something more akin to our "cool" or "fantastic."

As always, I am eager to learn the nuances of other dialects, and would gladly accept correction if I am in error.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
My understanding is that in the U.S., it means "extremely smart," but in Great Britain, it has a more general meaning of something positive -- something more akin to our "cool" or "fantastic."
Really? I thought it had both meanings here. huh Although, you're probably correct in thinking that the former meaning is used more than the latter, here in the U.S. Perhaps I've just been reading too much of The Hero Business over the last 24 hours. wink

Last edited by VirginiaR; 05/30/15 05:23 PM. Reason: clarification

VirginiaR.
---
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Virginia,

I first head the term used in the British sense a few decades ago on the show "Head of the Class"; Billy Connolly's character used it often. Perhaps it's been Americanized since then?

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., I'm glad you're enjoying The Hero Business, too. I just started reading it earlier this week, and I'm almost caught up to everything that has been posted. It will be tough to wait a week for each part to drop.

Last edited by Lynn S. M.; 05/30/15 05:32 PM. Reason: Added p.s.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It's used as both here. Extremely intelligent or, colloquially, as something excellent, very good. "You passed your exams? That's brilliant!"

And, if you want to get really colloquial... in Glasgow we'd go even further and call it 'pure dead brilliant'. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Thanks for the clarification, LabRat. Is "pure dead" used to intensify other adjectives as well, or just "brilliant"?

Joy,
Lynn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard