Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#263486 05/24/15 12:49 AM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I always love writing the Kents, but I have to admit, it was pretty hard getting into their heads in this story!

Kerth
Kerth
I like how we have glimpses of the Kents' reaction to Lois - we're not in their point of view, but their internal struggle is still clear. Clark wants Lois there, so everyone is doing their best to support that decision, but some are covering their conflicted feelings better than others. The tension in the room was palpable!

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
B
Blogger
Blogger
B
Wow. Been away for a week, so just got a double dose of goodness! Another stunning chapter. I love the imagery of Martha and Jonathan donning the cape, seeing the origin of superman there instead of on Krypton. Even if it did give me a disturbing mental picture of Jonathan in tights.

Once again, the pathos is incredible. You'd be inspiring me to dust off some of my old stories, if i could remember how to write anything but technical manuscripts!

Can't wait for the next installment!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Somehow I just knew Lois would have to face all her demons before meeting up with Clark. (Not that Martha, Jonathan, and Jimmy are demons, just other aspects of her guilt personified.) It seems only fitting that before she gets to see her hero (friend) that she has to deal with the impossible to unwrap DVD first (sorry for the horrible analogy). The necessary evil... hmmmm. No way I write this sounds right. The only evil of the Kents are Lois's impression of how she'll be racked over the coals for the way she ruined Clark's and their lives. Instead, their overt kindness and understanding makes what she did seem all the more worse. Will she be in tears again before Clark finally allows her to see him?

Also, I'm wondering about something. Technically, the sun never stops shining. So, hanging out in the sunshine all day (their time)... making Lois wait until nightfall (no pun intended), seems a bit arbitrary, being that he could also spend all night hanging out in the sunshine as well (on the other side of the planet). I'm guessing that he's only hanging out in the sunshine all day, so that when he does finally see Lois, in hope that he doesn't twitch and accidentally knock her across the room. Lois, on the other hand, will probably interpret his delay in another way. As in, Clark is punishing her for what she did. Just as he punishes her by not speaking. (Again, this is probably more in her mind that in actuality.)

I, too, loved the imagery of the Kents donning the mantle of Clark's cape. On the other hand, I only imagined the cape, not the blue suit that comes with it. lol You write in such an enviable manner. As I read, I see the scene come alive before me. Well done. clap

I'm hoping that the next part is where they finally meet up. grovel Any chance of a faster posting schedule?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Wow. Another powerful, emotionally draining, part. There were so many wonderful turns of phrases that it would take too long to quote them all, but my favourite had to be, "Superman (the ghost left behind to mark Clark Kent’s passing)" Ouch.

Joy,
Lynn

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
I started this on fanfiction.net but got impatient for more. You're doing a fabulous job with the emotions here. Lois has done the unthinkable and the consequences should be huge. How like the Kents to take the high road, to accept Lois and not bear her ill will. I'm enjoying the anticipation towards their meeting.

Joan

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
What a chapter, Anti-K. Wow.

I'm so glad that Lois got some time with Jonathan, Martha, and again, with James. I think that time will be really important for when she does get to see Clark again. She's getting some perspective--as slim as it is--of 'life' right now. Of Clark's world. Of what things are like. I think having that understanding can't do anything but benefit her.

Like Susan pointed out, everyone is figuring out their way of being around Lois for Clark. Completely for Clark. They know that having Lois here is important to him. Potentially vital to him.

You did an amazing job of evoking Martha and Jonathan's feelings. Wonderful subtle hints here and there that spoke volumes. Really great conversation, too--even if there wasn't a lot of it, it was all so important. Them telling Lois that they aren't angry with her. That's HUGE. And discovering that they look at the situation very much for what it is...a fact of what could have always happened because of their blessing that is Clark.

The moments with James at the end were my favorite. All James wants to do is protect Clark. Shield him from hurt, from Lois. But in his acknowledgments, he admits the truth.

Clark isn't looking at the situation he is in--that Lois put him in--as a reason to hate Lois. He (Clark) sees things differently. Honestly, that's really all that matters when it comes down to blaming anyone--you have to feel betrayed to want to blame. And James even mentions that Clark is missing something. He's not complete. He gives Lois the possibilty of hope--hope that Clark needs her.

To me, the biggest obsticle in this story is building back everything that has been destroyed between Lois and Clark. Foremost trust. Brought about by bad decisions as a reporter. But also, by secret identities and the lies that they create.

Maybe Clark shoulders some of the blame of his current situation because of the (original) situation he created? Maybe there are less 'issues' between them (brought about by Lois' story) than it would originally seem?

Can NOT wait for more! notworthy grovel
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
So Lois betrayed Clark. These things happen. Question: what is Lex going to do about all this? With so many chapters to go, he(Lex), has to put a hand in. THEN the fun begins.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
(she hadn’t wanted to turn it off and leave herself locked in total darkness)

She's already locked in a mental darkness.

(here, before the one she’s come to see, she doesn’t think she can possibly make a worse impression than she already has),

And, she knows on some level, I'm sure, that she's never needed to impress Clark.

but she is afraid to meet it because once she does…well, then what?

The true terror, that he might dismiss her completely and not even favor her with an argument.

His parents. They’re here.

Ouch for her. Even if Clark doesn't scorn her, will his parents find it within themselves to forgive her for ruining Clark's life? (Of course they wouldn't care much about the changes to their own life, it's their son who they are worried about.) We, of course, know they'll be gentle, but Lois doesn't.

The entire suite is quiet. Frozen.

I can well imagine the three-way awkwardness.

She vowed to give voice to those who couldn’t otherwise get their story out, and instead she has become the one who mutes them all, strikes them dumb and leaves herself gaping and breathless behind in the void.

Love this!

“We’re not angry with you.”

See? Although it's hard to imagine they would feel Lois was completely blameless.

Looks at them both and is speechless, to see Clark’s compassion and his strength, to see his nobility and his empathy, staring back at her from two very different faces, worn and weathered and wrapped in concern they try so hard to hide from her.

Love it!

But it is not him. Once again, she looks for Clark and finds Jimmy instead.

And all the readers just had heart attacks.

“He doesn’t like taking time for himself. Not anymore.”

Ouch.

“The truth is,” Jimmy finally says, swiveling to walk away as he finishes, throwing the words over his shoulder, “he needs something. And if you’re the one to give it to him, well then, maybe I’ll just chalk it up to poetic irony.”

I'm glad they are all smart enough to realize that the one who broke Clark may be (IS) the only one who can fix him.

Wait, this CANNOT be the end of the chapter. You forgot to include Clark! Plllllllease hurry and give us more?

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Thanks, groobie! The more people there are in a conversation the harder it is for me to write it, so I'm glad the tension came through despite that.

Sorry for the disturbing mental image, Beann22! laugh I truly didn't mean for that, just the cape, but hey, I guess it's good to laugh a bit too -- as long as it didn't give you nightmares! smile I encourage you to definitely look at your old stories or give new ones a try! Always great to read new stories!

smile I like the analogy to that pesky DVD packaging, VirginiaR -- I knew instantly what you meant because those are sometimes the bane of my existence (I have such a hard life). Clark still keeps to whatever normalcy he can, including following the day/night structure his parents are on, though I'm sure he doesn't mind making exceptions in certain cases.

Thanks, LWhite! Jonathan WAS the one most worried about the consequences of Clark's secret coming out, but I think that maybe, having worried about it so long, he was able to better face it when it finally happened, where Martha and Clark, the dreamers of the family, found it more difficult to face. Love how you put that about the bright side on no one being dissected!

One of my favorite quotes, Lynn -- you're very good at picking those out! smile

Nice to hear from you again, scifiJoan - I thought that was you leaving me a review over on fanfiction.net! I'm so glad you're enjoying. The anticipation was fun to write toward.

I always love the insights you bring in your comments, LMA! I wish I could reply to it, but you really said everything so perfectly and succinctly! Perspective is always a plus, that's for sure! smile

Hmm, SJH. Lex...well, he does always pop up in the most inopportune of moments...

laugh Sorry about your heart attack, Deadly Chakram! I didn't ENTIRELY mean to do that to you. wink And that was the whole chapter - I'm doing something new and trying to keep my chapters to a manageable length this story - but I think you'll enjoy this next one...

Thank you, everyone, who continues to give this story a chance!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard