Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
TOC

As I said in the original version, which was barely nfic, I hope you appreciate the emotional truth of the ending, even if it's probably not what you were expecting. Or maybe you did expect it this time, since it's not on the other side of the boards now! laugh

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Top Banana
Top Banana
This was a lovely introspective piece that seemed to hit most of the issues in their relationship and dealt with them. One remains and it of course is a big one but they seem to be in the right frame of mind to deal with it better than they did in canon. This point in time seems to be a much better timeframe to deal with the secret identity issue than the way they made Clark so fearful of Lois' response that he kept putting it off and putting it off and in the end had the big blowup. Now I understand why they did that in the series as it built suspense and drama even if it was done in a contrived manner.

My favorite line was and still is "he doesn't come and go, he goes and comes" to Lois' fragile view of herself this is a VERY important distinction. The relationship does not end with Clark going, it ends with him coming back to her. She has never experienced this phenomena in any of her previous relationships so it really rings true to her that this one is for real.

I was so disappointed in the fact that this story was nFic and hence not eligible for the Kerths last year. I am absolutely elated that you made this version so it will be eligible for this year's awards. Honestly it was one of my favorite stories for 2014 and in my opinion would have given "Fictitious Persons" a run for its money in the overall category although the competition was very tough in that category...

Thanks for doing this and I look forward to nominating this story next year.

(Oh, and you can add the Morgana edit to the Anti-K edit comment)

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 05/28/15 11:58 AM.

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Again, I'm glad to have revisited this story. You have such a way with words and expressing raw emotions that my original story doesn't. Your sequel makes my story better... so feel free to sequel any of my stories. wink

He engages in inane banter, trying to replicate whatever conversation he guesses takes place at a salon. I laugh and play along because it passes the time and distracts me from the oddly pleasurable tingle I feel every time his fingertips rub against my scalp. He studiously follows the directions he found on the internet, painting the dye methodically from root to tip. He radiates confidence and I know he’ll fix this because Clark can do anything and, admittedly, he’s doing a much more patiently thorough job than I did.
I love this description of them being silly. It shows their friendship so well.

I survey the remains of the meal. “Where are the fortune cookies?”

“Well, they don’t actually have them in China. They were invented in San Francisco.” Clark stops short and there’s an odd flash of fear on his face, but I can’t understand what’s so frightening about random trivia. Then he quickly adds, “I guess they just forgot to throw them in the bag.” And it’s a reasonable explanation but sounds curiously like a lie.
No wonder Clark often sounds like an encyclopedia, informing people of cultural traits and historical snippets. He's covering up for the fact that he's just flown across the world to bring you dinner. [Linked Image] It's so obvious now! clap I love that Lois senses that something isn't right, but she can't lay a finger on what it is. Brilliant!

The timer on my microwave goes off, startling both of us. Clark gets up, takes my hand, and helps me up, too.
The ding of the microwave timer saves Clark from Lois's inquisitiveness. Yeah, Microwave!

I agree with Mike. I love the reference to Clark being a 'goer and comer'. It so aptly describes him.

And I should be content with that answer, because comers and goers stay and then leave, but Clark is a goer and comer, so he’ll leave but then stay. But I don’t want the past or the future, the going and the coming. I want the present. I want his presence. Because he told me he loves me and I told him I love him and it happened tonight on my bed and I want to hold onto those words and that emotion and his body and if he walks out the door I’m terrified that he’ll take that love away with him like every other man has.
We, the readers, all feel what Lois wants here. Instant gratification. Give us the hot sex scene now! But Clark is right. It's better that it wait and have it come in time. It's better to have the promise of love forever than one hot night now.

Then he suddenly glances away from me, as if he’s looking for something beyond my bedroom walls, but shakes his head like he’s talking to himself. “It’s been a long day,” he finally says. “Why don’t you get ready for bed? I’ll turn off the lights.” His hand caresses my cheek before he lets go and walks out to the living room.
This is one of favorite paragraphs, because it has Clark choosing Lois over leaving. He knows that leaving now will hurt her and he chooses rescuing her from that potential hurt over perhaps helping someone else who has already been hurt. (Or, at least, this is how I picture it.) To Lois it is a throwaway line, yet the rest of us see and feel its importance. Clark knows that there will be many a night in the future when he won't be able to stay, so he chooses that tonight he will, so she will have this night to think back upon on those nights when the other's rescue will have to take precedence.

I feel his fingers curl my hair behind my ear. I listen, because there’s a pause to his breath and it seems like he wants to say something. But the moment passes, and instead I hear the clink of his glasses being placed on my bedside table. A blissful sense of security blankets me as Clark wraps my comforter over us and curls his right hand around my waist.
For all of you who wish to yell at Clark here for not telling Lois the truth, I admit to tying groobie's hands here. So, yell at me. peep I told her that enough had been confessed that night and that I didn't want a Super revelation on top of all those other raw emotions. Sometimes it is in the finding one's path blocked that one's creativity to discover an exit that one truly comes alive.

groobie, you did a wonderful job with the limitations I gave you. clap You express Clark's emotions and feelings so clearly, despite the story being from Lois's POV. I can't wait to read what you'll delight us with next.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow. I could say that over and over again. I just absolutely love this story.

The wording is beautiful--but also so relevant, so true. All the emotions of both Lois and Clark are right there on the surface, in every sentence, every paragraph. And I love that whether as a g-fic or n-fic, I come away from the piece feeling exactly the same way. Honestly, I'm once again blown away by your talent notworthy.

I understand now that I only lacked confidence in him because I lacked confidence in myself, in my ability to understand myself.

clap clap clap

Well, doesn't that just about perfectly describe everything? I've come back to that sentence I don't know how many times. It is so insightful! So right. For Lois, for the characters and their road to a relationship. But also, for so many people. Who doesn't doubt themself sometimes? Question themself? What I love is when I read something on here, but I don't only relate to it because of the show, I relate to it because I've had the feeling myself. You create such a connection in your writing, Susan hail.

But Clark is telepathic and he doesn’t need me to tell him how I feel because he already knows. He’s always had an annoying ability to read me like no one else ever has. He knows when I need him and he knows what to do. So I don’t say anything to him and he doesn’t say anything to me. He just pulls me into a hug and surrounds me with love. I place my head on his heart; one wet drop of water escapes my eyelashes and slides down his golden tan skin and an infinity loop completes itself because we were partners then and we’re partners now – we always have been and always will.

This is the paragraph that really touches me. Because even though tonight's partnership is new, even though there are still Secrets to be told, there's a connection there that is beyond all of that. You know when you are with the right person. And deep down they both knew from the beginning--knew that they had found themselves when they found each other. Finding that kind of love is inspiring...it's why 20 years later these characters still feel so new to me.

Wonderful smile
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally Posted by Mike M
Honestly it was one of my favorite stories for 2014 and in my opinion would have given "Fictitious Persons" a run for its money in the overall category
jawdrop Oh, wow! Really? That's just stunning. Thank you, so much, for that compliment.
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Sometimes it is in the finding one's path blocked that one's creativity to discover an exit that one truly comes alive.
Actually, I think the best thing you did for this story was tying my hands about the revelation. It made me turn what could have been a throwaway romp into an honest exploration of what their emotions would have been in this moment.
You express Clark's emotions and feelings so clearly, despite the story being from Lois's POV.
Thank you! I loved walking that edge - finding ways for Clark to say or do something that would be clear to the reader, but not entirely clear to Lois, to show what was in Clark's head, even though the point of view wasn't from his perspective. It was an enjoyable challenge to try and write that way. I'm thrilled that it worked!
Originally Posted by LMA
Honestly, I'm once again blown away by your talent
And I, as always, am blown away by your feedback. blush

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard