Next Thread
Print Thread
#263476 05/23/15 05:58 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Story

Comments?

Last edited by Annie B.; 05/23/15 06:01 PM.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
After reading a part from this saga I always have to step back for a moment before writing my comments.

Finally, they stopped atop a slight rise that overlooked the frozen creek. In the summer, there would be a good view of the creek from there and the wildflowers would bloom in profusion.

A quiet and peaceful place for Tess to rest in peace. Martha is very strong to be able to do this. Clark is amazing, he's had so much happen to him in the pass year, but he's getting stronger and his willingness to help others is accelerating the healing process. But like his mother, this burial of a stillborn child who would have been his adoptive sister is a very difficult task to undertake.

“We would have found a way to keep you,” Martha told him. She, too, had thought of just that scenario many times over the years. “Midwives can’t always tell if a woman is expecting twins. Sometimes one will be hidden behind the other, making them hard to detect. If Tess had lived, your father and I would have claimed I had twins.”

Martha is a strong woman, a mom to her core. She and Jonathan were willing to go to any lengths to protect Clark.

“I sometimes wonder why I was sent here,” Clark told her. “Did someone snatch me away from my parents, leaving them to believe me dead or to wonder what happened to me, or was I sent away to protect me? I know I’m not a normal person, but what exactly am I? Am I a muttation, some Capitol experiment that got away from them, or am I something else?”

“Like an alien, you mean?” Martha asked.

“I don’t look like the aliens in legends, but then, no one’s ever seen one of them — if they’re even real. What if aliens are real, and they look like people?”

Clark is starting to think outside the box here and contemplate who he is.

Aliens in legends? Could she mean 'the movies'?

“In spite of everything, though, I made a full recovery. Your dad, on the other hand — diphtheria can damage the heart, and it was while he was sick that your father first showed signs of heart trouble. He recovered from the illness, but the damage was done, and we couldn’t afford the sort of medicines or surgery that might have fixed things. He refused to slow down, either, even when he should have — and in all honesty, I don’t think he wanted to admit that there was a problem.

Through the years, Jonathan Kent has always had heart trouble, but in all my reading of Superman just what kind of heart trouble is never clarified. This is a perfect explanation, especially since District 9 was denied the necessary medicines needed to cure it citizens. This also explains why Jonathan never stopped working, he was raised to work and be a giver, not a taker. Its understandable that he would never want to admit to having a serious health problem.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Morgana
Finally, they stopped atop a slight rise that overlooked the frozen creek. In the summer, there would be a good view of the creek from there and the wildflowers would bloom in profusion.
A quiet and peaceful place for Tess to rest in peace. Martha is very strong to be able to do this. Clark is amazing, he's had so much happen to him in the pass year, but he's getting stronger and his willingness to help others is accelerating the healing process. But like his mother, this burial of a stillborn child who would have been his adoptive sister is a very difficult task to undertake.
Both Clark and Martha wonder about what might have been. Clark and Tess would have been raised as twins if Tess had lived.

“We would have found a way to keep you,” Martha told him. She, too, had thought of just that scenario many times over the years. “Midwives can’t always tell if a woman is expecting twins. Sometimes one will be hidden behind the other, making them hard to detect. If Tess had lived, your father and I would have claimed I had twins.”
Martha is a strong woman, a mom to her core. She and Jonathan were willing to go to any lengths to protect Clark.
Especially when he proved to be different. His alien origins are still unknown, even though Clark wonders if that might be the case. Keeping a foundling like Clark was an extremely dangerous thing to do, but his adoptive parents were determined to protect him.

“I sometimes wonder why I was sent here,” Clark told her. “Did someone snatch me away from my parents, leaving them to believe me dead or to wonder what happened to me, or was I sent away to protect me? I know I’m not a normal person, but what exactly am I? Am I a muttation, some Capitol experiment that got away from them, or am I something else?”

“Like an alien, you mean?” Martha asked.

“I don’t look like the aliens in legends, but then, no one’s ever seen one of them — if they’re even real. What if aliens are real, and they look like people?”
Clark is starting to think outside the box here and contemplate who he is.

Aliens in legends? Could she mean 'the movies'?
Movies, TV, books ... sometimes things find their way into a culture at large and take on a life of their own, until no one is sure where the idea came from.

“In spite of everything, though, I made a full recovery. Your dad, on the other hand — diphtheria can damage the heart, and it was while he was sick that your father first showed signs of heart trouble. He recovered from the illness, but the damage was done, and we couldn’t afford the sort of medicines or surgery that might have fixed things. He refused to slow down, either, even when he should have — and in all honesty, I don’t think he wanted to admit that there was a problem.
Through the years, Jonathan Kent has always had heart trouble, but in all my reading of Superman just what kind of heart trouble is never clarified. This is a perfect explanation, especially since District 9 was denied the necessary medicines needed to cure it citizens. This also explains why Jonathan never stopped working, he was raised to work and be a giver, not a taker. Its understandable that he would never want to admit to having a serious health problem.
In a world where vaccines are rare and effective medicine is hard to come by, diseases with lingering effects would be a problem. Even some of the "milder" ones (which diphtheria is not) can kill or cause aftereffects that last for a lifetime. In this setting, a disease like diphtheria can cause heart damage that can kill years after the initial illness ends.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
The diphtheria is a good background, especially since Jonathan was so young during his fatal heart attack in this story.

I wonder if including the last name "Kent" on Tess's coffin was a wise idea. I could see that coming back to cause trouble.

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally Posted by AmyPrime
The diphtheria is a good background, especially since Jonathan was so young during his fatal heart attack in this story.

I wonder if including the last name "Kent" on Tess's coffin was a wise idea. I could see that coming back to cause trouble.
Possible, but unlikely. She's buried 50 miles from the nearest district (and people aren't supposed to leave their districts), plus wood is biodegradable and would eventually disappear.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard