Fly Hard- Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously

Fuentes ordered, "Print out those plans."

Cat moved to comply, but said, "Sure, but they'll come out over there," and pointed into the bullpen.

Fuentes replied, "That's fine. Do it."

Cat hit a few keys and from where Fuentes stood he could see paper being ejected. She wondered what Lois would do in this situation and the only thing she could come up with was, "Well, since I've already been so helpful, how about giving me an exclusive interview?" She hoped that she sounded more confident then she felt.

"We'll discuss the future, later."

He stood and headed for the printer.

Cat briefly considered trying to send an e-mail to get help, but she didn't have access to her address list from Perry's computer and who would she send the note to anyway? Lois was the one with all of the contacts at MPD. Besides, trying something like that was more up Lois's alley not Cat's. Cat's life as a gossip columnist was a safe one, unless you counted the occasional enraged male actor that she got the goods on and printed that he was having an affair. Her best course of action was to not try anything, be a good girl and just wait to be sent back to the conference room with the rest.

George was slowly recovering. Clark heard him groan as he tried to straighten up. Clark grabbed a glass and poured him some water. Kneeling down next to him he helped George to a sitting position and offered the water. "Here, drink this. You lost a lot of volume. You need to replace the fluids."

Without thinking, George tried to use his wounded arm and winced when he tried to move it.

Clark asked, "How's the shoulder?"

"It wasn't all that bad."

Jack heard his statement and corrected him, "Hey, you'd still be bleeding to death if it wasn't for him."

"It was that bad?"

Clark nodded and said, "Yeah, it was, but we took care of it. You still need to go to the hospital, but as long as you don't exert yourself too much, you'll last."

Fuentes strode over to the desk and grabbed Cat's arm. "That's all I need from you … for the time being." He guided her back and thrust her through the door to the conference room.

She stumbled on her heels and almost fell, but Lois caught her.

Jimmy had passed several junctions and he was hoping that he wasn't going around in circles, it was all so … the same … blank metal walls … top, bottom and both sides … open in front and behind. Finally he came to one that sloped down and bracing his hands and feet against the sides to control the speed of his descent he slid down all the time hoping that he wasn't making enough noise to attract someone's attention.

Once he reached the bottom he was again within bare metal walls. At least he knew that he was on a different floor now. A few more floors down and it might just be safe enough to exit through one of the grills like those he had passed.

As the distance between him and the invaders increased his confidence increased. He was now somewhat buoyed up and muttered, "The intrepid cub reporter stealthily worked his way through the dark maze of tunnels knowing that certain death could lurk around every corner. Yet he continued on ... He was their only hope. He was Olsen, Jimmy Olsen."

And Now:

Chapter 6

As Cat stumbled into Lois, no one except Clark noticed Fuentes turn to Remy. Because he spoke in an undertone only Clark heard him say, "I'm beginning to think you were right about our uninvited guests."

As soon as Cat was steady on her feet again, she headed for George and knelt by his side. He said, "Red, thank God you're all right."

While this was going on behind him, Clark was listening in on the conversation between Fuentes and Remy.

Fuentes said, "I've found it. They're bringing the equipment back up, but time is definitely a factor now so get down there and help."

Remy inclined her head in the direction of the conference room and the hostages, "What about them?"

His reply had an edge to it, "If anyone tries anything, we shoot to kill."

Remy appeared to be satisfied with Fuentes's statement because she nodded in acknowledgement and stalked off.

The conference apparently over, Clark didn't think he would learn any more and turned to his fellow hostages. Lois had moved to the fruit bowl and retrieved an apple. As she walked back to Clark she took a bite. She got a mischievous grin and offered it to Clark, "Wanna bite?" As if she were Eve tempting Adam in the garden.

Clark smiled and took a bite. Lois snickered and said, "Just like Adam, can't resist what a woman offers."

He lowered his voice and whispered, "I'd have to be a LOT more super than I am to resist you," and kissed her on the cheek.

When he kissed her, even in this situation, Lois had chills running up and down her spine. Her confidence in her husband and his abilities were unbounded. She knew that he would find a way to save them and after he did, she couldn't wait to get him into bed.

Lois and Clark were both distracted from their thoughts by Perry asking Cat, "What did he have you do in there?"

Cat looked up from George to answer, "He had me pull up the architectural plans for the building. They're looking for money. He had me check a couple of different floors. This was the last one he looked at. I think what they're after is on this floor. It was an old drawing. It looked different from the current layout and the names were different."

"What names did you see?"

"Just a couple. One of them was … Dragonetti."

There was that name again!

Perry launched back into his story.

Bill and Dragonetti were in Dragonetti's office when there was a falling out. Bill accused, "Dragonetti, you double-crossing son of a …"

Dragonetti stood suddenly and leaned on his hands across the desk.

Lily was on a couch, apparently undisturbed, reading a magazine.

She interrupted her reading long enough to ask, "Bill, now why would Pino double cross you? You're partners."

Bill snorted and accused, "Word on the street is you're dealing with Murphy."

Dragonetti was evasive, "And you trust that word more than mine?"

It was a stand-off and Bill blinked first, "No."

Dragonetti had been worried, but now he was relieved. He knew that Bill was a tough customer. He said, "Good."

Lily bestirred herself, "Friends again, you silly boys?"

Dragonetti sat back down in his chair.

Bill wasn't done however, "Look, maybe it's time I cashed out, took my share and just said goodbye to this town and this life."

Dragonetti smirked and said, "I don't think so."

Bill was shocked. Apparently he had never heard the old axiom, ‘There's no honor among thieves.' "Half of what's in that vault is rightfully mine.”

Dragonetti tried to sound reasonable, "And if I let you take it, then the whole operation will only be worth half as much. Sorry, Bill. In for a penny, in for a pound. Isn't that right, Lily?"

In response to her name, Lily looked up, but the look in her eyes told that she was becoming very nervous. She didn't respond to the query.

Bill reached into his pocket and pulled out a keychain. He stood there tossing it in his hand as he said, "Just remember, it takes two keys to open the vault, and I've got one of them." He jingled the key again as he put it back in his pocket.

Lois interrupted Perry's story to ask, "So you think Dragonetti's vault is still here in the building?"

Just then, Clark's super-hearing picked up the jingle of keys and his concern went up. It could only be Willie and he didn't believe that he would have a chance against these armed thugs even if he did have a gun himself.

He tuned back into the conversation as Perry was saying, "Well, I always thought it was one of those tall stories, you know, like that mess Geraldo got himself into? But maybe there's some merit to it after all."

Clark's super-hearing picked up that jingle again. He slid his glasses down and used his x-ray vision to look through the ceiling. When he did, he spotted Willie calmly walking his rounds apparently unconcerned. Clark was actually surprised. The fire department should have responded to the sprinkler release. He knew it automatically triggered an alarm, but they were nowhere to be seen. That rumble caused by that heavy equipment should have been felt throughout the building. This was a mystery and he voiced the name, "Willie."

Lois heard him and assumed that Clark had just simply remembered him and said, "Willie! He's still making his rounds. He'll save us. He's a security guard."

Hearing her, Perry replied, "He's an octogenarian."

Lois pointed out, "He has a gun!"

Perry countered, "He has a hernia."

Picking up on this, Jack said, "We've got to get to him before they do. He can go for help."

From one side, George asked, "And how do you propose we do that?"

Jack looked at Clark, as the natural leader and said, "Don't worry, buddy, I'll be back before they know I'm gone."

Clark hissed, "Jack, no!" But he was too late. Jack was already out the door. He was crouched low and running silently.

He looked after him and he had a worried expression on his face. He looked to Lois and said, "I can't let him go alone."

Lois nodded in understanding and said, "Be careful, honey."

Perry said, "Good luck, son and hurry back."

Lois said, "Let's all gather around George. If they see us in a bunch they may not count noses."

As the rest moved to where George was, Clark crouched close to the door and waited until Fuentes and Remy were distracted then he bolted through the door and headed for the stairwell that Jack had entered. Silently he went through the door. He listened and heard footsteps above him so at super-speed he climbed two flights of stairs and caught up with Jack just as he was entering a hallway.

Jack jumped when he saw Clark emerge from the door and asked, "What did you do, fly up here?"

Clark's reply seemed to satisfy Jack when he said, "I take the stairs all of the time. It's part of my fitness regimen. I just tried to be quiet."

They saw Willie shuffling down the hall, checking doors. They made their way toward him. When he turned around and saw them he nearly has a heart attack. He blurted out, "Mr. Kent ... wh-what are you doing up here?"

Clark said, hurriedly, "Willie, we need your help."

Mere seconds after Jack and Clark left via the stairwell, the elevator doors slid open and Remy, Schumak and Blackman started to wrestle the heavy machine from it once again.

Seeing the trouble that they were having, Fuentes went over to them to lend an extra hand. He was still carrying the plans and handed them to Remy as he took her place in manhandling the equipment.

As they struggle with the equipment and finally cleared the elevator, Fuentes gasped out, "I think I've found the best way in." Nodding to Schumak he said, "Go check on the prisoners."

Schumak walked toward the conference room. As he neared it, he saw the prisoners gathered in a clump against the back wall. They seemed to be gathered around one of the men stretched out on the floor. He didn't bother to stop and count, he just challenged, "What's going on?"

Lois replied with some heat, "Can't you see we're trying to keep George from bleeding to death. Your boss shot him!"

Perry asked, "You got a problem with that?"

Schumak was shocked. This had all happened while he was helping move the machinery and the statement made earlier came back to haunt him, ‘Robbery is one thing, murder is another.' He started sweating and said, "No problem. Keep helping him." He returned to Fuentes and said, "No problem. They're all tending the guy you shot."

After Clark and Jack explained what was happening down below, Willie said, "I'll get the cops. But you boys get yourselves back down there before they find out you're gone. You don't know what they might do. Mr. Kent, your wife's down there."

Clark was anxious to return and said, "Thanks, Willie. We're counting on you."

Willie turned and headed for the elevator while Clark and Jack headed for the stairs.

Back in the conference room, George was sitting up against the wall leaning on Cat. He said, "Well, at least we know what they are after now, Red. Once they have what they came for, maybe they'll leave. This is one time I wish I had my employer's money. I'd offer them whatever they wanted to leave us alone."

"Even if you were Luthor who's to say they'd take you up on the offer. I don't know if I'd trust Luthor and they don't look like the trusting types."

He sighed, "What is all of his money worth, anyway? It can't buy a perfect blue sky, the symphony of waves crashing against a rocky shore," he paused and lifted the hand with hers in it, "a hand to hold when you're alone. Wishing isn't getting us anywhere. I'm not Luthor and I don't have his money, so I can't offer a compromise."

While Willie turned and made his way to the elevator, Clark and Jack headed back to the stairwell.

They started to move down, quietly. Jack was slightly ahead of Clark as they descended and they were almost at the door when the last member of the invading gang, Newberry, appeared on the stairs, ascending from below. Clark sensed him a second before Jack.

When Newberry spotted Jack, he pulled his pistol, but Clark was already in motion. He gave Jack a light shove which sent him to the floor as Newberry lined up for a shot. When Newberry pulled the trigger, Clark was between him and Jack, protecting his young friend and the bullet bounced off of his arm. Newberry only had a chance to get off one shot before Clark was on him. Tackling Newbery, Clark surreptitiously, gently, tapped him on the chin, knocking him out as they tumbled down the stairs. Clark allowed the tumble, but kept Newberry from being hurt as the fell. Once they were on the lower landing, Clark looked around. Spotting a fire hose station, he opened the door and pulled the hose out. As he finished wrapping the unconscious Newberry in the hose, giving a fair impression of a mummy, Jack joined him on the landing.

Jack was worried. Newberry had fired at almost point blank range and he thought that Clark had been hit. Seeing Clark apparently uninjured and trussing up their assailant, he asked, "What happened?"

Clark, not wanting to go into a lengthy explanation that his young friend would question, he simply said, "He missed."

Jack nodded, accepting the explanation.

Clark thought, <Sometimes, simple is best.>

Looking down at Newberry, Jack said, "One down and four to go. How soon do you think they'll start to miss him?"

"I don't know, but we do need to get back."

Jack was distracted and finally voiced his thoughts, "He had a bead on me. If you hadn't shoved me and tackled him, I'd probably be dead."

Clark tried to play it down, "He might have missed."

"No, I don't think so. I saw where his gun was pointed. I'd be dead by now, if not for you. You're all right."

Clark patted his shoulder and said, "Come on, we have to get back there," and led the way back to the door.

Lois was on the lookout for Clark and keeping an eye on the activities in Perry's office when she heard a muffled shot. She asked Perry, "Did you hear something?"

His answer wasn't reassuring, "Faintly."

She wasn't one hundred percent sure that was what it was, but given the circumstances, what else could it be? If Perry had heard it, that meant that those in his office might have as well. She hoped that Jack wasn't injured and that Clark had been able to keep The Secret. Whatever had happened, something was about to break and not necessarily in their direction. The four gang members were all conferring over the documents that Cat had printed out for them and as long as they had their heads together there was little chance of them seeing Clark and Jack when they returned, which she suspected could be any time.

As she watched she saw that they were shuffling through the documents as if looking for a particular page. Fuentes had apparently directed Schumak to go get it and he was turning to comply when Lois caught a movement out of the corner of her eye. She realized that if Schumak continued out of Perry's office, he would spot Clark and Jack returning. She was casting about for something she could do to create a diversion when Remy came to the rescue. Apparently she found the errant page and he was called back.

Seconds later the door opened and Clark and Jack slipped in.

Lois heaved a profound sigh of relief when he took her in his arms and she clung to him almost desperately and asked, "Did you find Willie?"

Jack nodded and said, "Help's on the way."

Clark nodded in the direction of Perry's office and asked, "What have they been up to?"

Perry answered his question in a disgusted tone, "They've been futzing around with those fancy tools."

Lois, Clark, Jack and Perry watched in fascination as the gang picked up Perry's desk and moved it aside. Then they took out razor knives and started cutting up and peeling back the carpet.

Once this was done, Schumak and Blackman grabbed a jack hammer and a pick-ax and approached the now cleared space.

Seeing this Perry almost exploded, "What the … Not the Elvis box!"

If Perry was going to say any more he was interrupted by the loud roar of a motor and then the chatter of a jack hammer.

Perry screamed over the noise, "I hope they're not doin' what I think they're doin' ..."

The chatter of the jack hammer continued periodically. It would stop only long enough to clear away the debris created.

With a fatalistic tone, Clark said, "Well, it looks like they have found Dragonetti's vault."

Jack smirked and said, "Yeah, and to think, it's been there all the time. Right under the chief's -"

Perry started and said, "Hey, hey, hey …"

Jack finished, "nose all this time."

They all watched in silence as the destruction continued.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 05/22/15 10:42 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj