Next Thread
Print Thread
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
As many (most :D) of you will already know, the order in which to read a story series on the Archive has long been a confusing, even frustrating experience. But no longer! goofy

Next up on our ongoing renovations to the Archive, will be Lauren inserting live links into each story file in a series, so that part one will have a link at the top to part two, part two will have a link to part three and back to part one…and so on.

To do this, we’re going to need your help to identify series. We’re looking to link:

Series by one author – e.g. Nan Smith’s Dagger series

Series by more than one author – where an author writes a series and someone else comes along with a standalone set in the same universe or an epilogue. E.g. Tank Wilson’s Future series and Terry Leatherwood’s End of the Matter, set in the Futures world.

Companion Pieces – e.g. Lynn’s Clark’s Card / Lois’ Card.

With the aid of the Archive’s Database spreadsheet, I’ve managed to compile a fairly comprehensive list of these. It would be helpful if you could take a look and post any errors in story order you find there or if you know of a series that hasn't been picked up. No need to note typos in title or author names – for our purposes these are fairly irrelevant. And, of course, only series that have been uploaded to the Archive website are relevant.

This is the first time I've attempted this sharing thing using Google Drive. On paper, it appears to be simple <g>, but... wink So let me know if you have problems viewing the list.

Thanks.

LabRat smile

Archive Series List (This link no longer functions. It was a temporary link for folk to use to add their suggestions to this list. Once the project was completed there was no more need for the link. If you have a suggestion to add now or think a series link has been missed, please email me. LabRat. )

Last edited by LabRat; 06/09/21 07:37 AM.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
Absolutely wonderful idea! Love it.

Although I seem to be missing from the list.

Doodles
Scribbles

In the Still of the Night
In the Light of the Morning
In the Glow of the Firelight
In the Arms of an Angel

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Katherine. I'll add you in to both the series list and the Database. It's probable these stories are still in the pending list to be added into the latter (updating that is my next task on the to do list :D) or that the theme keyword Series wasn't chosen for these stories on the Database, which would be why you're missing from the series list. smile
LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 05/21/15 11:35 AM.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I don't know if this counts as a sequel or not, but:

Another Day is Lois's POV and Another Day, Different View is the same story from Clark's POV.

Also, I noticed that in Terry Leatherwood's series Choices and Consequences, you listed the Resolution first, when I'm guessing it would come third in the series.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
They would definitely come under companion pieces, Virginia.

The Archive concurs with you on Terry's series - seems the database is wrong and needs revising on that one.

I'll add all of these to the to do list.

Thanks!

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
What a wonderful idea. Thank you for taking the time to make this list. (And I'm honoured that you thought to use two of my stories to illustrate the "companion" category.)

My stories look good except for the following: The "conundrum" story is a standalone. The prefered reading order (which does differ from the writing/ posting order) for my Jeremy and Todd series is:

The Diagnosis
The Not-So-Great Escape
Echolalia
Jeremy's Wedding

Would you be willing to keep the list you are compiling publicly available? I enjoy listening to most of the older fanfic on my commute (I use the Capti app to have my iPod read the stories to me), so the links wouldn't be very useful. If, however, I could look at the list, I would know before I started the car which story I should open when.

Once again, my thanks to both you and Lauren.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Fabulous Idea!

Thanks to you and Lauren for making the archives so accessible!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I recently reread Supermen United by Matrix and discovered that there was a second story, Superman Divided. I didn't see those on the list.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wonderful idea!

And thanks--so much--both of you for all the work involved notworthy sloppy.

Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, everyone. It's been long overdue.

Lynn and Lady Loisette - thanks for the updated info. I'll make the changes there.

On the face of it, don't see why we couldn't put the list on a page on the website. I'll ask Lauren about that. If not that, I'm sure there will be some way of making it accessible.
LabRat smile

The Musketeers
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Terrific. Thanks, LabRat. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Labby,

Now I see why you contacted me.

One addition to make:

The penultimate story in my Matchmaker series, so far at least, is "Clark and Lois - When Worlds and Universes Collide - Matchmaker Chronicles - Volume 8.

I will continue to ID the volumes as I add them so that it is easy to know the order.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Ken. Don't know how I missed that. Now added!

Talking of future labelling - just a reminder, going forward, authors should make sure their GEs are aware any new submissions are the next part of a series, if applicable, so that I can ensure it's linked in when I send the final version off to Lauren for uploading. thumbsup
LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 05/23/15 03:44 PM.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thank you for this much needed improvement! Keep on the good job, guys! thumbsup

Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What
Features Writer
Features Writer
I didn't see Bob Bartholomew's When The Sky Falls and After Nightfall: The Return of Superman in the list.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This update has made searching for fics so much easier!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard