Print Thread
#263156 05/09/15 02:01 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Story

Comments?

Last edited by Annie B.; 05/09/15 03:11 PM. Reason: Added link

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
After a very long absence it is great to see this story continuing! party

Now, onto the good stuff: grin

Though he still didn’t want to work on a talent to display for the Capitolites, Clark decided to take up writing again. He’d kept a journal when he was in his early teens, writing down his thoughts and fears about the strange changes he was going through, as well as more typical teenage concerns, and it had helped him to put his thoughts in order and worry less about the things he couldn’t control.

Now, after purchasing a dozen notebooks and several pens, he started writing down what he saw in his nightmares and his thoughts about the Games. Much of what he wrote he had no intention of ever allowing anyone to read, and some of it he had no desire to re-read himself, but it was better to have those thoughts on paper than in his mind. Writing helped him put things in perspective.

Aha! Clark has taken up the pen and writing about his experiences, this is a huge step towards understanding his new reality, as painful as it is. Will this talent help the rebel forces rather than the capital? I am wondering just when that creep, President Snow will demand Clark's presence?

Everything had changed for him since the Games, and sometimes it was easier just to avoid people. With that in mind, Clark mounted the horse and took off before anyone else could speak to him. He was trying to lead a more normal life, but sometimes, even small things liking talking to people he had once been completely comfortable with bothered him.

Sadly, this is part of suffering PTSD. Its going to take a lot of time for Clark to adjust, but if he keeps working at it the ability to comfortably communicate with friends will happen.

AnnieB you are doing an excellent job showing how Clark is coping.

A rat whose nest had been broken open by the gouges in the floor climbed out, startling Lana as she came back in with a cup of tea. She gave a faint shriek as it ran over her foot, slopping tea on it. The rat shook itself and ran out the door.

Clark shuddered at the sight, his thumb breaking through an almost rusted through spot on the stove. He quickly pulled his hand away.

Ouch! Rats are bad under any circumstances ... but for Clark, they are the terrible! eek

Swallowing the last of the tea his friends had shared with him, Clark looked toward the house, seeing the rat that Lana had spilled tea on shivering as it made its way back to the hole in the floor. It was an ordinary rat, trying to stay alive like any other creature, and in a quick moment of compassion, Clark lowered his glasses and aimed his heat vision at the creature, just enough to dry its damp fur.

Surprised by the sudden warmth, the rat stood on its hind legs, looking around and sniffing the air, before running toward its nest, disappearing beneath the floor as Clark turned and followed his friends.

Clark's compassion shines through like a beacon! Even for a rat. smile1

Broken Horn, as the bull came to be known after his adventure, was popular for breeding because his calves were so often strong and healthy. When he’d escaped three years earlier, he’d made the rounds of the neighboring farms and their cows, much to the delight of the farmers who hadn’t had to pay for the bull’s services.

Neat little change of pace! Not all is gloom and doom in this district.

“It’s too much,” Pete told Clark and Martha. “You’re giving us the farm, your animals … we can’t possibly repay you.”

Pete, from what I have seen, the Captial only allows you guys so much to live on. Better to owe the Kents than having to work in a disgusting factory for pennies. Take their offer and be happy! Besides its not just about you and Lana anymore.

When Pete still hesitated, Lana started tapping her foot in irritation. “We would have helped Mr. and Mrs. Kent if Clark hadn’t come back. Now Mrs. Kent and Clark are helping us. That’s what friends do. We’ve always helped each other, and there’s no reason to reject their help. Clark may be rich now, but money can’t solve everything, and he’ll let us help him if he ever needs it.

Much as I dislike agreeing with Lana on anything. This time she is right.

Clark waved as his friends rode off. It was another big change in his life, but this was one he could feel good about.

Another step on the road to maturity. Helping others rather than worrying about the past is one of the best ways to heal.

Despite the initial angst on the part of Pete and Lana, this is a much lighter chapter than many of the ones previous posted. By giving the farm to his friends Clark is taking a measure of control over his life. I wonder, will President Snow use this against him in the future? Since Clark refuses to marry because he is concerned about the possibility of his children being reaped won't the Capital keep an eye on the Ross offspring? help

Another thought; the Capital takes all the food and only leaves scrapes for District residents?

Again, glad to have you back.

When can I expect the next post?

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Morgana
After a very long absence it is great to see this story continuing! party
It's been a busy year. I intended to start posting again right after the Kerths were over, but the play I was in took all my weekend time. Now it's done for the year, so I can write again.

Aha! Clark has taken up the pen and writing about his experiences, this is a huge step towards understanding his new reality, as painful as it is. Will this talent help the rebel forces rather than the capital? I am wondering just when that creep, President Snow will demand Clark's presence?
Yep, writing can help a person get things out and put them in perspective. As to who this talent might benefit ... you'll have to keep reading (but I will say that Clark will definitely keep writing).

President Snow has plans for Clark, which he wants to spring upon him during his visit to the Capitol during the Victory Tour. Clark knows Snow is planning something, but doesn't know what, and he's not looking forward to finding out.

Everything had changed for him since the Games, and sometimes it was easier just to avoid people. With that in mind, Clark mounted the horse and took off before anyone else could speak to him. He was trying to lead a more normal life, but sometimes, even small things liking talking to people he had once been completely comfortable with bothered him.

Sadly, this is part of suffering PTSD. Its going to take a lot of time for Clark to adjust, but if he keeps working at it the ability to comfortably communicate with friends will happen.

AnnieB you are doing an excellent job showing how Clark is coping.
He's starting to adjust, but it's a long, hard road, made harder by losing his father and having to give up his childhood home (even if he is giving it to his friends).

A rat whose nest had been broken open by the gouges in the floor climbed out, startling Lana as she came back in with a cup of tea. She gave a faint shriek as it ran over her foot, slopping tea on it. The rat shook itself and ran out the door.

Clark shuddered at the sight, his thumb breaking through an almost rusted through spot on the stove. He quickly pulled his hand away.

Ouch! Rats are bad under any circumstances ... but for Clark, they are the terrible! eek
He associates them with his experiences in the arena, and regards them as more than just disgusting or nuisances ... after all, several people died because of the venomous rats.

Swallowing the last of the tea his friends had shared with him, Clark looked toward the house, seeing the rat that Lana had spilled tea on shivering as it made its way back to the hole in the floor. It was an ordinary rat, trying to stay alive like any other creature, and in a quick moment of compassion, Clark lowered his glasses and aimed his heat vision at the creature, just enough to dry its damp fur.

Surprised by the sudden warmth, the rat stood on its hind legs, looking around and sniffing the air, before running toward its nest, disappearing beneath the floor as Clark turned and followed his friends.

Clark's compassion shines through like a beacon! Even for a rat. smile1
He's got a natural inclination to be kind and helpful -- even if the recipient of that help does have four legs, fur, and say "squeak."

Broken Horn, as the bull came to be known after his adventure, was popular for breeding because his calves were so often strong and healthy. When he’d escaped three years earlier, he’d made the rounds of the neighboring farms and their cows, much to the delight of the farmers who hadn’t had to pay for the bull’s services.

Neat little change of pace! Not all is gloom and doom in this district.
If Utopia can have Tempus, then Dystopia can have ... well ... crazy animals and awkward teenagers. grin

“It’s too much,” Pete told Clark and Martha. “You’re giving us the farm, your animals … we can’t possibly repay you.”

Pete, from what I have seen, the Capitol only allows you guys so much to live on. Better to owe the Kents than having to work in a disgusting factory for pennies. Take their offer and be happy! Besides its not just about you and Lana anymore.
Pete has a lot of pride, and grew up in a world where being indebted to someone can be a very dangerous thing -- even if it is your best friend.

When Pete still hesitated, Lana started tapping her foot in irritation. “We would have helped Mr. and Mrs. Kent if Clark hadn’t come back. Now Mrs. Kent and Clark are helping us. That’s what friends do. We’ve always helped each other, and there’s no reason to reject their help. Clark may be rich now, but money can’t solve everything, and he’ll let us help him if he ever needs it.

Much as I dislike agreeing with Lana on anything. This time she is right.
Lana's not portrayed very nicely in LnC, but she comes off nicer in other portrayals, so I decided to mix some of those in. Besides, in this story she's not engaged to Clark and doesn't know about his powers, so her perspective is a little different.

Clark waved as his friends rode off. It was another big change in his life, but this was one he could feel good about.

Another step on the road to maturity. Helping others rather than worrying about the past is one of the best ways to heal.
Yes, Clark is growing up, and he's learning that helping other people -- especially since there's so much he can do -- is something he very much wants to do. (Now he has to figure out how to use his powers without getting into trouble.)

Despite the initial angst on the part of Pete and Lana, this is a much lighter chapter than many of the ones previous posted. By giving the farm to his friends Clark is taking a measure of control over his life. I wonder, will President Snow use this against him in the future? Since Clark refuses to marry because he is concerned about the possibility of his children being reaped won't the Capital keep an eye on the Ross offspring? help
Snow might keep an eye on the children of Clark's friends (and relatives), and possibly use them as leverage against him. And since Clark has a tender heart, those threats work. He doesn't want anyone to suffer because of him.

Another thought; the Capital takes all the food and only leaves scrapes for District residents?
All the food, coal, wood, technology, energy, luxuries ... everything. It's like the real-life economic systems, both past and present, that exploit the people who do the actual work of farming, mining, manufacturing, etc. A handful of people get the wealth and the people who do the work get scraps (if that).

When can I expect the next post?
Saturday. I have another chapter ready to go.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Ooh, the story continues! I really enjoyed the interactions between Clark and his friends. He's still not opening up to them, but he's starting to be on his way.

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally Posted by AmyPrime
Ooh, the story continues! I really enjoyed the interactions between Clark and his friends. He's still not opening up to them, but he's starting to be on his way.
Clark's been isolating himself from his friends (and they haven't known what to say to him), but he's starting to make an effort to spend time with them again and renew those friendships.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard