Page 1 of 2 1 2
#263141 05/09/15 01:13 AM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Getting closer now! Hope you all enjoy!

Kerth
Kerth
You already know how much I love this story. smile The imagery of the photos lining the ascending staircase is beautiful. The thought that, despite everything, the bedroom was made up for her with such specific detail is painfully sweet - no wonder it caused her to break down. The belief that Clark is silently behind that locked door, so close to her despite what she did to him - it has me on pins and needles...even though I know what happens! Masterful!

Susan, who is happily breathing in the scent of aloe and jasmine. wink

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I felt as exhausted as Lois by the end. What a journey. I do wonder, though. She said the man at the airport looked like Jimmy, but apparently wasn't. If Clark is physically better, I could see it being him. But surely, Lois would have recognized Clark, wouldn't she? You mentioned disguises, so are we supposed to recognize these people Lois meets or not? The man in the taxi cab reminded me of Jonathan, but I can't imagine him wanting to be so close to her after what she did to his son. Torture her by driving her around for $400 cab ride, definitely.

I also liked the imagery of the pictures on the wall disappearing when the Kents moved. So sad.

I don't know if Clark is behind the closed door, but I suspect not. Again, that might be too easy. I could see him giving her all the comforts of home, but then again, maybe that's Clark's room when he's there... only he's not because he's somewhere else recovering. How sad that he kept Clarkie Bear. mecry

Lois noticing the kitchen made me think of Martha and what she was up to. Would she stick her head out and see Lois pass by? The description of the suite brought to mind the ones you see in films / tv shows about those suites in Las Vegas. She mentioned Coast City was on the Pacific coast. Had Jimmy then had her driven to Vegas? Like in Hollywood, the only place Superman / Clark Kent could hide in plain sight... a place full of impersonators. I wonder.

The memories of how Lois expect Clark to forgive her after she tore his life in two, as he always did, made it seem almost as if Lois was the one person out there who didn't associate Clark with Superman. Ironic, being that she's the one who outed him. It's almost as if she believed that she might have gotten rid of Superman (punished him for lying to her) with her story, but Clark would still be there for her. Clark's leaving wasn't real. A part of her always hoped he'd return.

Five days before Jimmy called. What happened in those five days? How many did Jimmy wait before telling Clark? How many of those were spent with Jimmy and the Kents trying to convince Clark NOT to see Lois? Or was Clark trying to purposefully push Lois to the edge? I don't know if I could see him do that though. Jimmy / James, totally. Clark, not so much.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
B
Blogger
Blogger
B
I'd be have broken out the tissues, but didn't want to stop reading to go get them. The photos on the staircase, her memories of the corn festival, poor Clarkie Bear :'( I think you're right, VirginiaR - she alone didn't think of Clark as Superman. Had she gone too far this time? Um, yes, Lois. Just a bit. And now the locked room - what a wonderful image, and I can't decide whether its of Clark himself, Pandora's Box or Blue Beard's closet. I very much suspect,though, that when we find out, shares in Kleenex are going to double.

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh-my-goodness! I need more story Anti-Kryptonite! grovel grovel grovel. This is going to be a lllloooonnnngggg week till you post again.

It's so easy to become emotionally invested in your stories--to feel like you are right there with the characters experiencing all the emotions that they are feeling. Like Virginia stated, I was tired after Lois' journey. And, by the end of this section, it felt like the weight of these last four months was on my shoulders, also. It's amazing how you can create such a connnetion for the reader notworthy.

Hmmm. I'm guessing everyone has a room? Jimmy in his. Lois in hers. Martha and Jonathan in the other. And Clark in the one with the lock. That's not to say that Clark, Martha, and Jonathan are in their rooms, but it seems like there is definitely a place for everyone. The imagery was beautiful throughout the end--that lock on the door...the door potentially being all that separated Lois from Clark. The feeling that they are so close, but yet really SO far. And also the room...I'm guessing that Clark set it up for her. He knows her better than anyone--I can't see Jimmy/James putting it all together. Lois finding the teddy bear was probably my tipping point. That's when I was really feeling everything for Lois. That bear is a symbol of a happier time. A shift in their friendship that I always have felt happened when Lois really let Clark 'in' to her life when they visited Smallville.

Hoping that Clark is in that room. And I'm completely wondering if he is aware that Lois is there now, so close to him. Does he hear her heartbeat? Does he hear her cry?

Wow--just really wanting to read more hyper hyper hyper.
Laura

Oh--the burgundy comforter. Was that just a color you happened to choose? Just made me think of color conversations from Lucky Leon--though that ep is after this timeframe. Anyway, in my mind, I added that in to the personalizing of the room smile.

Last edited by LMA; 05/09/15 01:52 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
T
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
T
Interesting story.

Why is everyone sad for Lois, it's not like she ruined anyone's life. Oh wait she did, and it was not just anyone it was a friends life she ruined. But, of course Lois will not get what she deserves in the end. She will end up with Clark and the whole Kent clan just loving her at the end.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by There Is No Spoon
Interesting story.

Why is everyone sad for Lois, it's not like she ruined anyone's life. Oh wait she did, and it was not just anyone it was a friends life she ruined. But, of course Lois will not get what she deserves in the end. She will end up with Clark and the whole Kent clan just loving her at the end.

You hit on my problem with this story. I do not believe canon Lois would have outed Clark without talking with him, getting his side of the story of why he was hiding in plain sight. After getting his story and having seen what she saw in Smallville she would have not outed him.

This version of Lois did not even give him the courtesy of talking with him and warning him before dropping the bomb. For once it has given her exactly what she deserves, an empty life void of anything but her job. Can Anti-K turn this around? Of course she can it is fiction after all. Should she turn it around? That is the question...

All that being said it is a very compelling story to read and will probably turn out OK in the end. After all Alt-Clark seemed to be able to live a reasonable life after being outed by Tempus so there is no reason that Clark could not do the same after all the hoopla has died off a bit. There have been a fairly significant number of stories where C=S was known by the public and Clark could lead a reasonable live although under a significant amount of scrutiny so the event of his unmasking does not HAVE to be the end of his world just a major change in it. The biggest difference is that Lois, his best friend and soulmate, was the one to do the outing. This will be difficult to get past.

You are correct that probably in the end the entire Kent clan will forgive her because that is what they do. Will James ever forgive her? Well that is possibly an entirely different matter...

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Interesting story.

Lol, need some baking soda? Just kidding... :P

Guys, this is the 3rd chapter of 22 (maybe more?)... If I know Anti-K well enough, I expect Lois' atonement to be so excruciating and complete that by the end of the story you'll wish you could enter it to hug her and say you're sorry wink

Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What
R
RJS Offline
Blogger
Blogger
R
Interesting story.

Yes, even though no reason is good enough for doing something like this to anyone, let alone to an entire family, there will be a happy ending. Wild guess:
I'm guessing either a time travel save or a 'we were undercover' save.
Lois must have taken Clark's backbone, too, if he can agree to see her after all that has happened. At their age, the Kents must be feeling the health effects of the constant moving. (How are they getting their medical prescriptions refilled?) But he can't say 'no' to seeing her? After the last thing she said to him? Heck of a way to get rid of a rival.

Kerth
Kerth
Why is everyone sad for Lois, it's not like she ruined anyone's life. Oh wait she did, and it was not just anyone it was a friends life she ruined.
Keep in mind that this is set early in season 1. Lois and Clark aren't best friends or romantic partners at this point - Lois is just starting to see him as something more than a "hack from Nowheresville". Look at some of the earliest episodes - she really does treat him like crap on many occasions.

Can I feel sad for Lois even though she's done something horrible? Absolutely. Haven't you ever had to stand back and watch a friend or family member make a stupid, stupid mistake? Do you mock them and say "I told you so!" afterwards, or do you sympathize with them as they struggle with the consequences of their actions? I can know in my heart that Lois was absolutely wrong in outing Clark, watch the fallout that results for everyone as a result, and still hope that people can learn from their mistakes.

Have faith in Anti-K. There's a reason she just won a Kerth award. wink

Susan, who admittedly has some insider knowledge on the story laugh

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally Posted by groobie

I sense a lot of angst is coming... :P

Keep in mind that this is set early in season 1. Lois and Clark aren't best friends or romantic partners at this point - Lois is just starting to see him as something more than a "hack from Nowheresville". Look at some of the earliest episodes - she really does treat him like crap on many occasions.
Exactly... Which makes me wonder why she's going to such great lengths to find him (I mean, she's nearly gone broke in the process!). Can that be justified only by an ethical remorse, for having destroyed a (super)man's life? Her distraught demeanour suggests me that there should be something more... We'll see wink

Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What
Top Banana
Top Banana

Can I feel sad for Lois even though she's done something horrible? Absolutely. Haven't you ever had to stand back and watch a friend or family member make a stupid, stupid mistake? Do you mock them and say "I told you so!" afterwards, or do you sympathize with them as they struggle with the consequences of their actions? I can know in my heart that Lois was absolutely wrong in outing Clark, watch the fallout that results for everyone as a result, and still hope that people can learn from their mistakes.

The only thing I go back to is Perry's reference in Chapter 1 about it happening in Smallville. The only reason to go the Smallville would be for a story and that story was the EPA Cleanup on the Irig's farm that was the cover for Trask. That trip was the beginning of the bonding of Lois and Clark. It will be interesting to discover what actually happened there and since Anti-K has 19 more chapters I suspect we will get coverage on that issue as it has to be pertinent to this story. What happened that they did not bond? Staying with the Kent family really opened her eyes about Clark in canon, why did that not happen this time?

When I read a story with the same basic plot concept (recommended by Lynn) From the Ruinsby Alisha Knight I was disappointed that she never covered the situation leading up to the outing of Clark and to me that is an important issue to be discussed. Of course that story was not nearly the length this story so hopefully Anti-K will cover that topic.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Kerth
Kerth
Fear not, Mike, you'll find out what happened in Smallville. Eventually. wink And yes, Hidden Moon, there may be some angst along the way. whistle

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Interesting discussion. My take, so far, reading along...

I totally agree that moments in GGGoH created, for Lois, a shift from 'work colleague' to 'friend' in how she related to Clark. Having some down time together, having time away from the Planet together, having fun together--Lois' walls really, almost without her knowing it, started to slip away during those few days in Smallville.

And, IMO, the tipping point: the very end of the episode. Lois, with her own eyes, seeing herself almost loose Clark. After just literally finally getting to know a bit about Clark.

I think Clark really surprised her in GGGoH. In the best possible way. Lois, at that point in her life, did not open up to people. Wouldn't let them in. And in this episode, she gave in that little bit--just enough to realize there was something there with Clark. A connection, a friendship. The reality check of almost loosing him, right as she was finding him, that--to me anyway--is what made everything click.

The teddy bear is in the story, so we know they went to the festival together. In canon, that was a great evening. But in canon, Lois had the bear at her apartment in various episodes afterwards. I've wondered multiple times just how the bear got to where he is now? Did someone take it out of Lois' apartment? Did something not go right during the end of their evening together, Lois didn't want the bear, and Clark kept it (thus 'supplying' it for the room)? But overall, Lois does associate the bear with a memory of Clark smiling--I'll take that as a good sign? wink.

So, rambling to my point, I think something must have happened in Smallville. Something different. Something that departed from canon enough to get us to where we are now--Lois 'outting' Clark and everything thereafter.

For me, the episodes before GGGoH are very much a co-working type of relationship between Lois and Clark (and not even that in the very early episodes huh). After GGGoH, the episodes very much have a different feel. Lois and Clark are closer. There's friendship. There's bits of 'more' (than friendship). GGGoH sorta switches things over. Maybe that 'switch' never happened in this story? Maybe that's why Lois was able to justify outting Clark?

If, when this story begins, Lois is viewing Clark very much in the a co-worker sense--hasn't let her guard down yet, hasn't trusted him as a friend--and she were to find out that this guy has been lying to her, has a secret identity and has been fooling her since they met, who's to say she wouldn't write the story? Choose the career, the thing she's always focused on--the thing that can't hurt her like people always have--over a guy she (obviously, due to the secret) doesn't know. A guy who hasn't been honest about himself with her. A guy that already has hurt her.

Really, I can see it happening.

Was it nice of her? No. Was it the right thing to do? Definitely--no.

But now it's been a few months. Lois has a new reality. She has the knowledge of hindsight. She's had time to realize exactly what she has done. And she's had time to live a life without Clark in it. Trask almost killing Clark in GGGoH woke Lois up to what she almost lost. Multiple months of upheaval, all brought about by her very bad decision, might be exactly the type of reality check Lois needed here.

I can forgive Lois and completely hope for the best--as long as she realizes exactly what she has done. As long as she makes it up to Clark. As long as he can forgive her. And as long as she's utterly sorry.

Clark will see her...somtime. At some point. Because he--already--loves her enough to hear her out.

It's a sign of a great story, Anti-K, when it's so much fun discussing it notworthy clap hyper.

And now to get comfy. To get ready to wait multiple days to read more smile.
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 05/11/15 02:28 AM.

T
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
T
I just don't see how Lois can fix this and how could Clark still have feelings for Lois.

What Lois did was not some simple thing or something stupid like hurting Clarks feeling and then feeling bad about it. She exposed Clark as being Superman, which in turn put his family in danger and according to James in this story, they are still having to move around a lot to stay safe. That doesn't sound like everything is perfectly fine for the Kent clan. To me it is absurd to think that Lois can fix this. The only believable way to me this story ends with Clark and Lois as couple or still friends is if HG Wells shows up and goes back in time to stop Lois from writing the story.

Lois has caused all this hurt in this story and she surely doesn't deserve any sympathy because she is hurting over something of her own design.

I fear this story will end up with Lois still getting Clark and she won't have to live or deal with the consequences of her actions. Some stories can end without the happy ending (Clark and Lois together), read "It Might Have Been," and still be a great story.

Again what Lois has done in this story in not just some stupid mistake and sometimes things cannot be fixed. Now that would be very interesting story.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I just don't see how Lois can fix this and how could Clark still have feelings for Lois.
One of the great things about Clark Kent is his ability to forgive.

What Lois did was not some simple thing or something stupid like hurting Clarks feeling and then feeling bad about it. She exposed Clark as being Superman, which in turn put his family in danger and according to James in this story, they are still having to move around a lot to stay safe. That doesn't sound like everything is perfectly fine for the Kent clan. To me it is absurd to think that Lois can fix this. The only believable way to me this story ends with Clark and Lois as couple or still friends is if HG Wells shows up and goes back in time to stop Lois from writing the story.
Clark understands that sometimes people react rashly when they are angry or upset or feeling hurt, only to regret it later. Sadly, this an upset that even with an apology Lois can't fix. Lois ruined Clark's life, but that doesn't mean that Clark and the Kents can't build another life. It will just take some time. How long did Clark wander the world looking for acceptance before he found Metropolis, Lois, and the Daily Planet. Picking up the pieces of one life isn't easy, but it can be done.

Lois has caused all this hurt in this story and she surely doesn't deserve any sympathy because she is hurting over something of her own design.
Everyone deserves sympathy, save Luthor, Deter, Tempus, Nor, and anyone else who does horrible things to others and never regrets it. Lois regrets her actions, so she is deserving of my sympathy. If she was able to move on with her life easily, toasting to her victory over Clark, then she wouldn't be getting any sympathy from me.

Again what Lois has done in this story in not just some stupid mistake and sometimes things cannot be fixed. Now that would be very interesting story.
A story where Lois ruins Clark's life and he can't ever move on or forgive Lois would end up being entirely too sad for me. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm curious to see what a terrific writer as Anti-K can do with this plot. Is it time for another part yet? hyper

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
The only believable way to me this story ends with Clark and Lois as couple or still friends is if HG Wells shows up and goes back in time to stop Lois from writing the story.
Hmmm...I hope that's not how it ends. Dallas "It was just a dream!" do-over. frown It shouldn't be that easy - a story with this emotional weight should have to realistically deal with the consequences. BTW...no spoilers here - I haven't had the opportunity to beta the ending yet (though I'm waiting VERY IMPATIENTLY for it! LOL).

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Agree with Groobie on this...

I want it all hashed out, every wonderful (but painful) emotional detail clap wallbash hyper. Doing a time change, erasing 'The Event' from ever happening, doesn't really solve anything. Yes--on the surface--problem gone. It never happened. But...I want the problem fixed.

I want Lois (and Clark) to grow from this. Learn from this. I want this to (somehow? dizzy help ) bring them closer. What good is anything between them--co-workers, friends, potentially more--if they can't get through the hard times?

And yes, this is totally above and beyond 'hard times', I know. But can you imagine how unstoppable they could be if they did? If they came out of this together twins grin? (Yes--whenever, however, I can, I tend to always look for the potential WAFF wink ).

Guess we'll just have to read and find out. There is a LOT of story left dance.
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 05/12/15 09:12 AM.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes, his belongings were cleared out and his apartment looked like the desiccated husk of something that had always before been alive and vital and entrancing, but he could not be gone.

I love this.

He was Clark, and he was always there when she calmed down. He always let her be angry and nodded and smiled and rolled his eyes and comforted her, and then, when her anger burnt itself out and she could start to look at things more clearly, he was always there to laugh at her and tease her and make her smile.

All of this.

Not at his apartment, where he kept a mind-boggling array of teas just to irritate her.

rotflol

He does not need gratitude. He does not need recognition. He does not need acclamation.

True. All he needed was YOU, Lois.

The taste of peppermint is now inextricably linked to the feelings of remorse and the image of nightmares, sitting heavy and bitter on her tongue.

Lovely. Really.

(she’s been in situations like this before and they seldom turn out well),

rotflol Very true!

(Except she knows she would pay it if she had to, knows she will pay out the entirety of her material possessions if it means that Clark Kent will speak to her.)

Awww.

(It’s what Clark always did to her, and she hates it; hates that Jimmy keeps doing Clark things as if he doesn’t even notice.)

Love this.

(unless he doesn’t; unless those are still recovering too).

Scary thought!

There’s a black and white teddy bear in the closet,

Love this little detail and the reminder of what they once had (him winning the bear for her at the Corn Fest).

Ack! NO! You CANNOT stop there! That's cruel and unusual punishment! More please! Lois, you are SO close now. Please, for the love of God, don't screw this up.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, I hardly know what to say after all these comments! I'm delighted the story is interesting enough to inspire such discussion, and I hope that I don't let down all of those who have such great faith in me! smile No pressure on either side, I'm sure! blush

Groobie, I knew you'd enjoy that aloe and jasmine. I took your advice and shopped through them all, but...hmm. Still know nothing about them, so I stole your example! Full credit to you for the way Lois smells! grin

Virginia, I don't remember saying that the man in the airport looked like Clark or Jimmy, just that he was big and he was carrying a sign with the DP logo. But regardless, I'll pretend like I was throwing a lot of those misdirections in there -- after all, when disguises enter the game, then everyone's immediately suspect, right? wink The Kents...hmm, we haven't heard much about them, have we? As to your insight into Lois seeing Clark instead of Superman -- are you sure you don't have my computer hacked and haven't been reading what I've just been writing? whistle

Ooh, love your thoughts about the locked door, Bean22! I wish I had thought to compare it to a Pandora's Box, too!

A long week, LMA, and I'm late -- so sorry about that! Had a concert I was singing in last night and didn't get back till late, and I'm afraid I didn't think about what day I usually posted until today! Thank you so much for the lovely comments. The only way I can write a scene is by seeing it through the character's eyes (which is probably why it's so beyond me to write anything short!), so hearing that you felt connected to them was quite the compliment! Interesting that you mention what Clark can hear...

Oh, and yes, the burgundy color of the comforter was not accidental. I figured if Clark was going to do something, he'd do it all the way!

Thanks, LWhite! I'm usually someone who likes the main characters to be together in scenes, but this story required the build-up, and I actually enjoyed writing all the lead-in. Besides, the situation is big and it has huge ramifications, and I think we needed several chapters to start to comprehend it all.

I'm glad you're reading, There Is No Spoon. I agree that it can be frustrating to read about a character doing something awful and seemingly getting away with it. Hopefully as the story continues, you'll agree that Lois doesn't just get to live happily, at least not easily!

Mike, I almost did put a disclaimer on the story saying that I don't believe Lois would have published such a story about Clark/Superman -- written it, yes, but not gone so far as to publish it. However, this is kind of the biggest what-if out there that I know of, and I haven't read any other story dealing with it, so I thought I might as well give it a try. I'm aware not everyone will be happy with it, but my goal is to at least try to stay in character as much as possible after the publishing of the story and to show how it would affect them.

We all know that Lois and Clark 'belong' together no matter what, in every universe -- and I very much enjoy reading stories that show us all the possibilities and twists that story can take -- but what about when Lois betrays him so early on and in such a major way? Can they overcome that, too? Just how 'inevitable' is 'destined to be' - or can it be waylaid by one bad choice?

Anyway, I love all the discussion, and I do wish I could reply to each of them, but I'd either be giving too much away or just putting my opinion out there when I think the story itself gives enough of my opinion of the matter! smile All I will say is that, as groobie mentioned, this is set very early on in their relationship (before it WAS a relationship, actually) and that while WE know certain things to be expected and true (such as Lois and Clark belonging together or Superman being an alter ego that actually works very well for Clark), the characters in-universe are not aware of these things at all, so their reactions might be different than ours.

Also, I think in today's society, we place too much emphasis on 'being in the right,' on knowing who was wronged and who was slighted and making sure that the wronged one draws a line and never lets anyone get away with crossing it. Justice is a good ideal, but we can be 'in the right' and still be miserable, too. Clark might not ever forgive Lois, and he might even be 'right' to do so, but he'll be alone forever. Forgiveness, MERCY, is just as important a trait, the ability to recognize that someone made a mistake and wronged you and then to move past it. For Clark, I think it would come down to whether he thought Lois was more important than her mistake, or whether the mistake overshadowed the person. A story where he doesn't end up with Lois because he becomes resentful and bitter over what she did might be a good story (I don't know because I wouldn't read or write it), but without giving too much away, I'd rather have a story where we see the strength and the incredible heart of Superman/Clark Kent shown in the way he can understand and forgive and love. It takes a lot more strength to forgive someone than to 'show backbone' by refusing to face whatever it is that hurt you.

All right, so now that I went ahead and said a few things even after I said I wouldn't...I hope you all continue reading! smile I do understand if this isn't a story everybody wants to read -- my goodness, I tried for years not to write anymore after the prologue -- but over all, I'm just glad that we all love these characters enough to be so protective of them!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard