Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
This story is in response to the Canterbury Tales Challenge.

All feedback greatly appreciated.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ha! goofy

It seems that the minor characters in the Lois and Clark universe are making their mark this year!

Neat way you brought back Clark's landlord, Bob. The crazy way he got the building and what his thoughts were about the super clean-up! He planned on getting rid of Clark and raising the rent once his lease was up. When he realized what his tenant's other job was it scared him into silence.

The Canterbury Tales Challenge has been fun!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Fantastic! I always wondered about why Clark's place looked like a bomb had hit it when he first rented it. Maybe Bob got caught and that's why the landlord was a woman during the NK incident?

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wonderfully done, Lynn clap.

Great idea to give us a story about Bob! And I have got to say--I really enjoyed how you gave him some fun personality with words like 'hadda' and 'ain't' and 'gotta'. It added so much notworthy.

Just like DC, I always wondered why that apartment was essentially condemned when Clark first went to look at it. It was nice reading more backstory on that landlord smile.

Awesome hyper
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 05/02/15 12:44 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Floyd! Of course! Why didn't I think of him? wallbash This is an interesting and new perspective on one of my favorite one-shot characters. So sad to hear what happened to Floyd's brother Bob. I hope that woman was prosecuted for murdering him.

I can understand Floyd not wanting to do much with the building and apartments with that sad history tied to it. I could totally see Floyd wanting to take advantage of his knowledge for monetary gain. I love how just figuring out Clark's alter-ego scares Floyd enough to keep quiet. clap See, Clark's helping people (and himself) just by being himself.

Brava! clap

Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
Maybe Bob got caught and that's why the landlord was a woman during the NK incident?
What woman do you mean? I don't recall this female landlady. True, the NK arc (and the ARGH arc that proceeded it) aren't my favorites and are rarely watched, but I don't remember her at all. Which scene was she in? Then, again, she could always be Floyd's wife. wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Virginia - she was a black woman who came to the door when Tez fought with Clark at his apartment. She threatened to call someone when Tez took the form of a woman who acted like Clark was trying to force her to stay.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
rotflol I loved it! So much personality packed into this little fic! I absolutely believe the slumlord would have this suspicion when Superman flies onto the scene and he thought back to the way that Clark had transformed the apartment in such a quick amount of time. I also believed your reasoning as to why he'd keep his mouth shut...sure, Superman seems like a nice guy, but what's he really like when he's mad?! lol At least he can bide his time, waiting for the secret to come out, then make a killing on "Superman lived here!" deals later. grin

So happy the challenge inspired another story! Funny to think that, as much as Clark believes his secret is safe, there are several people around the city who actually know, but are keeping quiet for one reason or another.

Now, come on readers, surely you can put something together, too! I want more stories! clap

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Virginia - she was a black woman who came to the door when Tez fought with Clark at his apartment. She threatened to call someone when Tez took the form of a woman who acted like Clark was trying to force her to stay.
Totally don't remember that scene. I'll have to watch the one with Tez again. It's been years.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
I think it's fascinating to explore the stories of random people who might just know The Secret, but choose to keep quiet for reasons of their own.

Great job on this one, Lynn. Loved the voice.

Corrina.

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thank you all for feeding the author. smile

Morgana and Laura, I couldn't justify working it into the story, but I had envisioned that the reason Floyd's sister-in-law killed his brother Bob was that she caught him cheating on her. Between that and the state he left the apartment in, I can only surmise that he wasn't exactly an upstanding individual. (And now, of course, he's not standing up at all...)

Deadly Chakram, I'd completely forgotten about the landlady. Maybe the pressure of having Superman as a tenant (and worrying about angering him) got to be too much for Floyd, and he decided to sell the place.

Virginia, don't feel bad about forgetting Floyd; there are so many characters one could use. For example, I could easily see what's-his-name -- Barry's agent at the lookalike place -- as having actually recognized Clark as Superman (after all, he survives in his business in part by recognizing physical similarities between people), but having pretended not to, for some reason. There's the cabbie he helped who had the overheated taxi at the start of MoSB. And of course there's Becky Samms who definitely knows the secret; has any fanfic ever been written from her PoV?

Corrina, thank you. I'm delighted you liked the voice. You've seen my writing develop over the years and, both by being an excellent and supportive BR and by letting me see some of your outstanding stories while they were still works in progress, you have contributed greatly to my growth as an author. You know what a challenge I have always found it to write natural sounding dialog. So if this story sounded natural, I give you some of the credit. smile

And I'll end here by agreeing with you, Susan. I, too, would love to read more stories based on the Canterbury Tales challenge.

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
rotflol rotflol clap I loved it!

(Just sort of catching up on a bunch of these now, and it's great, especially since it's a nice short one to ease into. goofy )

Love how you turned it around so quickly, and *of course* his landlord would figure it out from that one scene. You handled it well, and it was hilarious to boot. grin

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Mouserocks, so you only like it because it's short? Does that mean you'd like it better if I stopped writing altogether? goofy (Sorry for twisting your words around like a pretzel, but I couldn't resist.)

Seriously, though, I'm glad you found the story amusing. I had fun writing it.

Thanks for taking the time to leave some feedback. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi again! I think I’ve now gotten all your stories form 2015? So when did we meet the slumlord?

First, ya gotta understand -- I've a secret identity. Don't tell no one, but ya know how I seem like a mild-mannered landlord?
laugh have you ever seen The Super with Joe Pesci?

When my brother Bob's girlfriend Cindy poisoned him and he left me that dump on Clinton Street, I knew I hadda be smart about it.
Oh, Clark’s landlord!

Still, I wasn't 'bout to complain. Once his lease was up, I could charge a lot more for the place.
Is that…legal?

I'm sittin' on the biggest money-maker out there, and I can't use it. When we found out Superman was super-fast, well, it don't take no brain scientist to know who my tenant really is.
rotflol

If I could spread the word, I could name my price on the rest of the apartments in the building, and some star chaser would pay it.
Hmm… evil

But Kent wouldn't like it, and no way, no how am I gonna make Superman mad at me.
Kryptonians have been known to make people go poof for less.

Sure, he seems nice enough, but so did Cindy. Ya never know what people will do when they're really angry.
CINDY: Snugglebums shouldn’t have cheated on me with my sister Mindy. Now he’s all dead and such!

I ain't no fool. I just hafta hold my tongue.
If it works, then it works.

wave Michael

Edit:
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Totally don't remember that scene. I'll have to watch the one with Tez again. It's been years.

I always figured she was a neighbor, one floor down.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
have you ever seen The Super with Joe Pesci?
Nope. Not only have I never seen it, I had never heard of it. I just looked it up, though, and it has a cute premise.

CINDY: Snugglebums shouldn’t have cheated on me with my sister Mindy. Now he’s all dead and such!
shock Cindy and Mindy? What a pair. I wonder what their home life was like growing up. Now *there's* a piece of fanfic you don't read every day...

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Now *there's* a piece of fanfic you don't read every day...
blush The name just kind of came to me evil

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard