Print Thread
#262994 05/02/15 01:51 AM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Don't kill me because there's no Clark yet! peep

Kerth
Kerth
The difference between Jimmy and James - who he was and who is now - is fabulous throughout the story. Clark needed someone when his secret was revealed, and James stepped up to be that person. His solid friendship is evident and admirable.

I have to point out your use of parentheticals. It took me a few parts to get used to them, but then I started craving them, seeking them out, missing them when they weren't there! You writing is a thing of beauty, and this work is a masterpiece.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
B
Blogger
Blogger
B
I am in awe of your characterisation skills. This chapter is as beautiful and heartbreaking as the last. I'm not even going to have a go due to the lack of a Clark... I might want to read the WHOLE LOT NOW, but something this good shouldn't be rushed.

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
A: Delightful part, really well done.

Originally Posted by AntiKryptonite
Don't kill me because there's no Clark yet!

B: I think Lois will see the Kents, the folks in Smallville, track Clark everywhere and miss him again and again, but not missing the effect he has on people.

I think she will figure out what pen names he is using and in time, in part 22 she will find him, and you will leave us with a single line as a cliffhanger for the sequel.

Clark turned and said "Lois".

Framework4
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Another powerful installment. You've made my regard for Jimmy/James even higher than it had been after reading the first part. This is the first time I have really been convinced, in *any* Superman universe, that the moniker of "Superman's pal" is both warranted and credible. (In the Silver Age, it was warranted in the sense that the two were indeed depicted as pals, but there was never presented any in-universe reason for why Superman would wish to be pals with Jimmy. It was obviously just a marketing ploy designed to pull in a younger audience.)

Brava.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Superman has been missing two weeks. Clark’s been…well, Clark’s been missing for so much longer than that, but the numbers cut into her soul like blades so she usually avoids spelling it out for herself.

Her soul is not the only bleeding one right now... whinging

Give up on it all because none of it is what it once was and she’s tired of realizing that anew every morning.

whinging

She thinks, though (in some tiny, hidden, damped part of her mind), that she’d give almost anything for him to be here right now, sitting across from her, cocking his eyebrow at the half-empty glass in her hands, saying…

Saying nothing.

<Gut is punched> Then again, knowing him, he might not have said anything even if they were still best friends and the Superman expose hadn't happened.

“J-Jimmy?” she asks, and cannot even fault herself for stumbling, because this cannot be the young, earnest, eager-to-please kid she’s missed so much.

I kind of wondered for a moment when he came in. Lois, try to hold onto this single, narrow shaft of sunlight.

Lois looks at him and thinks that this secret identity, this alter ego, is just as good as Clark’s was.

WOW. Love it.

She feels, then, as if she is the young cub reporter, all nervous anxiety and hopeless awkwardness.

Love this image.

He is tired. He is worried.

He is afraid.

whinging

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
“Please,” Lois says, and her voice cracks, and she doesn’t even care.

whinging

He is angry with her. No--he is furious.

Can't blame the guy.

“I’m afraid of you, Lois,” Jimmy finally says.

Again, can't blame him.

“It’s taken him a while, but he’s moved on. He’s…adjusted. Don’t mess this up for him. Don’t take away everything he’s worked to build back up. You ruined his life once, Lois, isn’t that enough?”

Memory loss, I presume?

“You don’t get to pass judgment over this,” he says with finality.

Right there with you, Jimmy. Uh, James.

“Because,” he murmurs, almost inaudibly, “if I tell him that Lois Lane wants to see him…there’s no way he won’t say yes.”

whinging

“Slapped across every front page in the world like last time?”

Ouch! But good for you, James.

“But don’t you see? Someone needs to save him.”

whinging

Ack! My heart is in my throat. This is not going to go well, when she finally sees him, is it? Beautiful and heart-wrenching, as always. Wonderful installment.

You owe me some tissues. (Or would, if I didn't keep putting you through the emotional ringer with the stuff I have you beta.)

So, next part tomorrow, yes?

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wow. Amazing.

I love the comparisons between Jimmy and Clark. It calls to mind the interview with someone (Dean maybe) who said that they switched Jimmys because people thought Michael Landes (S1 Jimmy) looked too much like Clark Kent (Dean). dizzy huh Probably unintentional slight tongue-n-cheek in-joke. wink Anyway, that's what it reminded me of.

So, back to your story. Lois has been looking for Clark... via looking for the easier (ha!) to find Jimmy Olsen... for 2 weeks. When the man in the sunglasses comes into the diner, I immediately thought it might be Clark... with amnesia. WRONG! It's Jimmy... New and Improved Jimmy... er... James 2.0 (not to be confused with Jimmy - S2). Very funny that Jimmy has changed so much that Lois doesn't even recognize him. Clark's definitely given him a lesson or two in disguising himself by changing his attitude. Perhaps he learned a bit of that from Lois. Didn't Perry say something in Part 1 about Jimmy knowing all of Lois's disguises?

Jimmy implies that Clark is back from space. hyper Superman survived. He isn't lost somewhere. I was worried about that. He's resting, though? For 2 weeks? Maybe he does have amnesia or remembered being Clark but not how to use his powers. Is that how he has finally moved on? Only thing that makes me think that he has his memories is this line:

“Because,” he murmurs, almost inaudibly, “if I tell him that Lois Lane wants to see him…there’s no way he won’t say yes.”
So, Clark remembers Lois Lane.

I get that Jimmy doesn't want Lois to see Clark. She ruined Clark's life. She ruined the Kents' lives. She made Jimmy grow up really quick. Jimmy knows that Lois is Clark's weakness, even now. She was his undoing once, and she could easily be again. Too easily, he fears. Maybe Clark just wants to ask Lois 'why?' Maybe Clark doesn't know that Lois is his weakness, but clearly Jimmy knows.

“I’m not going to hurt him, Jimmy.”

“Oh, Lois,” Jimmy breathes, “how can you do anything but?”
So true.

I like that you've shown that Lois is suffering from her own actions of outing Clark. Good. She deserves to suffer.

Originally Posted by AntiKryptonite
Don't kill me because there's no Clark yet!
I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him in Part 3, either. I'm sure Lois will have to go through another layer of guilt security guards (i.e. the Kents) before being allowed to see the man himself. You wouldn't make it that easy for Lois, would you?

So, what exactly happened in Smallville? What made Lois go to no-man's land and expose Clark?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Jimmy Olsen is now James Olsen and what a grand transformation it is! I always knew Michael Landes was the better of the two cup reporters, simply because he had a better relationship with Lois and Clark. Somehow the idea of Justin Whalin's Jimmy just doesn't work for me.

Now that relationship has gone through a major change, with James no longer trusting or caring about anything Lois Lane or his former employer Perry White have to say.

Great second part. thumbsup

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
notworthy notworthy notworthy notworthy notworthy

I could leave the FDK with the above--that's completely how I am feeling--but...well. Then I couldn't gush. And I like to gush. Especially when I am as moved as I am by a story thud (little guy placed here to show all of the raw emotion that I am just loving so far).

Jimmy to James. Jimmy Olsen to James Olsen. Office go-getter to Lois' only link to Clark/Superman/Righting Her Life. Oh, how times have changed. I really enjoyed the transformation of Jimmy in these first two sections. And I admire that he was the one--the only one--who saw the wrong, saw Clark hurting, and actually tried to help. Didn't care about the consequences. Knew what he had to do. Did it.

But now...now I really don't admire the place that Jimmy is in. Being The Link--The Go Between. He knows how much is at stake for Clark concerning Lois, wants to protect him. Also though, he knows that maybe this isn't his place.

There was a lot hinging on this meeting with Lois for Jimmy. Like he stated:

"Because,” he murmurs, almost inaudibly, “if I tell him that Lois Lane wants to see him…there’s no way he won't say yes."

It all rests on Jimmy. Wow. Everything from here on out that happens can essentially be traced back to how Jimmy handles Lois. What he tells her. What information he allows her to have.

I completely enjoyed this part for how huge, how important, this meeting was. Yes, I can't deny that I was hoping for Clark--for that moment when they see each other again--to take place. Deep down I am reading for that moment. But the story needs to be built upon. The emotion that you are so amazing at creating, can't be created without depth.

So totally, take all the time that you need to give us Clark. It's got to feel right--it's got to fit into the story. And speaking of the story, I-Can-NOT-Wait-For-More! grovel hail grovel

Laura

Oh and needed to mention:

The world tilts around her. Shakes and trembles and swirls so that the glass of iced tea falls to its side with a resounding clatter and dark tea mingles with ice cubes to draw a map of a world she’s never seen across the cracked tabletop. Her hands are as cold as those sticky cubes, pale and nerveless, and when she looks up, she thinks that maybe she will fall apart into just as many pieces (just as much of a mess) as her tea; maybe her own fragments will map out a truth she’s never admitted.

How beautiful--what spectacular imagery! jawdrop clap notworthy I've come back to this paragraph a few different times. Hard to let it go of it. It's inspiring how creative it is clap.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Delighted to still be here, even after I pulled a Clark-no-show! smile Thank you, everyone, for reading and enjoying and leaving feedback -- it's such a blessing to be able to get encouragement for something that I love doing anyway!

Thank you for the comment on the parentheticals, groobie! I really enjoy doing them, but before my wonderful betas read the chapters, I wasn't sure if anyone else would like them. I know they could be annoying, so I try not to overdo them, but they're just as addictive to write as to read! laugh I'm so glad you enjoy them!

James is one of my very favorite parts of this story -- he kept getting more and more prominent every time he showed up just because he was so strong and loyal that I couldn't help but pull him into scenes. This chapter, this scene between Lois and James, almost wrote itself after I set the prologue aside because I couldn't see it going any place good, and after this chapter, I couldn't help but continue. I'm glad the suspense worked for you, LWhite!

Thanks, Bean22! The pacing was something I worried about and worked on quite a bit, so I'm glad you don't mind the story taking its time!

smile1 Great idea, Framework4! Now if only I had thought of that... It might actually be easier than what I'm actually doing...

I've always enjoyed Jimmy's character, Lynn (as I think we've probably discussed in emails), so I liked getting the chance to explore him a bit more. One of the things I've always enjoyed about him in the comics is that he's Clark's pal as well as Superman's, and Clark sees him as a great friend mostly, I think, because Jimmy sees Clark as someone to respect and look up to just as much as Superman.

Deadly Chakram, that line about Jimmy's alter ego being as good as Clark's was one of my favorites to write! And remembering to type James instead of Jimmy was hard for me at first too (but now, I'm afraid, it will be hard to switch back when this story is over)! laugh And yes, I can't owe you tissues for a good long time, surely, especially after 'Alone!'

I remember that interview, VirginiaR - or well, I think I heard it on Dean Cain's commentary of the Pilot, but I do remember the story and still think it's ridiculous. I admit that I would have preferred a lot more of S1 Jimmy as opposed to S2-4 Jimmy, though of course I'm fond of him too. smile But though James is based on Michael Landes' Jimmy rather than Justin Whalen's, I wasn't thinking of that line when I came up with the storyline (at least, not consciously!). The disguise theme - and the disguises coming off in various ways - is a huge theme of the story, so I had to smile reading your comments on Jimmy's knowledge of them and Perry's referral to that. In fact, all your thoughts were fascinating to read. Does Clark have his memories or not? Is it fated that in every universe, Nightfall erases his memory or are there some where he's injured in other ways? And James is in a VERY awkward, dangerous place. Easy for Lois? No, I wouldn't say I do that...:)

It's hard for James to trust Perry or Lois after what happened, Morgana! I do try to leave it somewhat free to the reader's imagination which Jimmy it is, but a few physical descriptions do probably slip in just because I can't help myself. wink

blush Believe me, LMA, I don't mind that you like to gush -- I'll try not to let it go to my head! You're so right. No matter what James chooses, whatever happens from there is going to be on his head. So glad you said that about taking as much time as I need to show Clark... whistle And thanks for mentioning the paragraph about the spilled tea - it was a fun one to write and really helped set the tone for how the entire story would be written!

Thanks, everyone! I hope you continue to enjoy!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard