Vatman - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously

Apparently the workers were starting to return to work because there was a painter starting his work. He heard the creak of the hinges from the doors of the saloon and looked up. When he did, he saw Superman exit. Then he saw a feminine face in the window. When he looked around he saw a second Superman in the street. He looked back and saw the woman gesturing for him to leave. He looked back and forth between the two Supermen and saw hostility. Deciding that discretion was the better part of valor he heeded the woman's admonition and dropping his painting supplies ducked into the apothecary. A second later the window shade was yanked down and the words "CLOSED" could be read on the shade.

Superman stepped into the street. When he did, he was facing the imposter. Slowly they approached one another. In the dusty street it looked like a western movie where there was to be a shootout at high noon. Once they were about twenty feet apart they stopped and glared at each other. Superman was glaring at the imposter because he had threatened Lois's well being.

The imposter was there because he had been told by his ‘father' that his foe needed to be eliminated, but the things he had heard the night before were going round and round in his mind. Things that Superman had said had also been going round and round. He was confused and trying to sort out the truth. He was weighing what he had been told by Superman against what he had been told, all of his existence, by his ‘father' and the weight of truth seemed, more and more to be falling on Superman's side of the balance, yet he had been given a chore to do and he knew that he must not disobey his father. His father knew best, or did he?

They stood there facing one another with their hands at their sides. You could almost imagine them wearing gun belts with their fingers itching to grab the gun butts draw and fire.

Suddenly they were interrupted by the tour jitney passing through on the way back. The driver was saying, "This representation of ‘old' Metropolis has the flavor of an old west town …" She saw the two Supermen in the street and pressed down harder on the pedal, "They must be filming something. I don't understand … two Supermen."

As the spectators watched, the imposter unleashed a blast of heat vision. Fortunately, Superman had been expecting an attack of some sort and was prepared. His Infra-red vision had picked up the heat buildup in his opponents eyes and he was able to counter with a similar beam. There was a visible coruscation of power where the invisible beams intersected. They each held their positions as they each increased the power of the beams.

As the confrontation had started, Lois felt like she had to do something to help so she left her hiding place in the saloon and carefully made her way out the door and along the sidewalk until she was off to one side. She found a post with a barrel next to it and crouched behind it.

Unfortunately, Lois made a noise which distracted both the imposter and Superman and they reflexively looked in her direction. The heat vision beams followed and when the combined beams hit the beam next to where Lois was crouched the wooden beam almost exploded. As that happened, Lois jumped back.

Seeing what was happening, the tour leader's foot came down on the pedal and as quickly as the jitney would move, they left the area.

Seeing what had nearly happened to Lois had frightened Clark. He knew that in order to keep Lois safe he had to end this conflict as quickly as possible. With renewed vigor he shot his heat-vision at his antagonist again. The imposter countered with his heat-vision and they returned to a stalemate.

Even while he was straining to overcome the imposter, he tried to convince him of the futility of the fight, "Don't you understand? This in a fight neither of us can win!"

Almost imperceptivity the spot where the invisible heat beams became a visible coruscation of energy moved toward the imposter as his energy drained from him.

The rate at which the spot of intersection was moving toward the imposter accelerated until it reached a spot two feet in front of him and then suddenly, his energy gave out and his beam collapsed allowing Superman's beam through. It hit him in the chest with the effect of a physical blow, knocking him backward. As he fell there was a distinct look of pain on his face.

Full of compassion, Superman stopped his attack and sped to the imposter. As he knelt next to him, he seemed to recover, slightly, but the strain was apparent in the lines in his face and the sweat on his brow.

In a shaky voice he said, "Go ahead. Finish me off. Might is right. Only the strong survive."

With a tone of compassion in his voice, Superman said, "I don't want to hurt you, I never did. You and I ... we have so much in common. We're linked. We're closer than ... brothers. They made you from a lock of my hair. You are a duplicate of me."

He was in a quandary over his statements and asked, "I don't understand. Why wouldn't you want to rule alone?"

Superman tried to explain, "I don't want to rule. I want to be respected, yes. But you earn that respect by caring for others, not overpowering them."

The clone had a very thoughtful look as he tried to assimilate this idea. It was completely contrary to what he had been taught by his ‘father' that it was almost unbelievable. Suddenly he was hit with a wracking pain. He grabbed his chest and grunted.

Concerned by what he could see happening, but not understanding why, Superman asked, "Are you all right?"

The truth of what he had overheard the previous night hit him like a blow. He stated matter-of-factly, "I'm … dying." He thought for a second before he continued, "Maybe it's for the best. If I'm not real, if I was created from your DNA just to do my father's bidding ... to kill you, then there's nothing left to live for anyway. I no longer want to kill you, no matter what my father says."

Seeing that the conflict appeared to be over, Lois finally came out from her concealed location and approached. Standing next to Superman she had heard the tail end of his statement.

The clone looked at Lois and then back at Superman. He said, "You're a lucky man," he nodded in Lois's direction, "she loves you very much. She must have known I wasn't you, but she went with me anyhow to try and keep you safe." He turned back to her and said, "I meant what I said, earlier. I never would have harmed you."

Shakily and with Superman's assistance, the clone rose to his feet. He looked at Superman and said, "I have something to do. Will you wait here for me?"

Superman and Lois both nodded and the clone took off.

Lois asked, "Where's he going?"

Still watching the sky where the clone had gone, he replied, "I don't know. Come on, let's get you out of here."

Lois crossed her arms indicating that she was going to be stubborn and said, "I'd rather stay. I want to see this through to the end."

Seeing her posture, he realized how useless it would be to argue with her so he just smiled and nodded.

And now:

Chapter 8

Luthor and Dr. Leek were in the lab.

"Well, doctor, what is your prognosis. They should be finished any time now. Will our creation win?"

"I don't know. It is really hard to predict. From what I was observing of his deterioration if it isn't finished quickly, he will be finished. If he fails, what will you do?"

"We will start over. We have plenty of genetic material. You will use what we learned this time to make improvements with the next one. If that one fails also then we try again and again and again until we win. I will not accept defeat!"

If Luthor was going to say anymore we will never know because right then the clone flew in.

Luthor demanded in a gruff voice, "Well, is it done?"

The clone was putting up a brave front. Even though he was weakened and growing weaker by the minute he was determined to finish this, "No. I heard what you just said. I know the truth now. He is the rightful Superman. I was just a pawn ... something for you to use to kill him."

Leek, seeing that all of the clone's attention was on Luthor sidled over to a table and picked up the gun that lay there. He brought it up and shot the clone at point blank range.

The clone, because of his weakened condition was actually wounded by the bullet and staggered. He gathered his strength, straightened up and staggered toward Leek. Even though Leek knew that he had been able to shoot the clone fear clouded his judgment and in fear cringed back coming up against an electronic cabinet.

The clone was on him in a second and picked him up. The gun fell from Leek's nerveless fingers as the clone lifted him and threw him into the vat that had been his ‘bed'.

Seeing this, Luthor cringed back in terror. He knew how strong the clone was and now seeing this powerful individual with the lack of moral teaching that Superman demonstrated, but instead the amoral teaching he had provided, he quailed in abject fear at his approach.

Towering over Luthor, perhaps not in actual stature, but in power the clone said, "I want the lock of hair."

Luthor temporized, "I don't have it here."

Luthor's worst fears were then realized when the clone said, "You're lying. Give it to me or I will kill you." His amoral indoctrination of the clone was coming back to haunt Luthor.

Luthor had always been a survivor and realizing that the clone really meant business and that his only hope of survival was to capitulate, he turned to a vault behind him and spinning the dial a few times opened it up. He reached in and pulled out a small glass container that you could clearly see the hair in and handed it to the clone.

Luthor was seeing all of his dreams of conquest and ultimate world domination crumble and tried to change the clone's mind, "You must not do this. You are my son. My own ... creation. Together we can ..."

The clone looked at Luthor with disdain and even perhaps loathing as he said, "No! It's over." Turning, the clone took off, flying erratically because his injuries were causing him great pain. He made his way back to where Lois and Superman waited for him.

After the clone flew off, Luthor mused, "You breed them, raise them, want the best for them. One day, you're the center of their universe, the next they've flown the nest and the phone never rings." He looked around and spotted Leek on the chamber. He looked as if he wasn't moving for several seconds, but then he started to stir. "Oh well, I can't even blame his death on Superman. I guess it's back to the drawing board."

Lois and Clark were standing side by side scanning the heavens each looking to catch that first glimpse of the returning clone. Lois happened to be the one looking in the right direction as he came into sight. She grabbed Superman's arm and pointing up said, "There he is." As they watched they could both see the erratic course he was following. Lois, with compassion in her voice said, "I think he's hurt."

Her supposition was confirmed when he landed heavily and collapsed to his knees. They could see the blood stain on the side of his Suit. His head was bowed as he held up his hand. He said, "Here." It was the container with the hair that he had in his hand. "They won't be able to clone you again. At least, not after you take the last step."

Superman was confused, "Last step?"

The clone nodded and said, "Yes. They could use some of my tissue to create another clone. You have to destroy the lock of hair … and me." He looked at Clark and saw the horror in his expression, "I'm dying. I'm in pain."

This was going against everything that he stood for and Clark demurred. "I don't think I can do that."

The clone encouraged him, "You must." He reached up and grasped Superman's arm in a tight grip, "My father once read me a story about a Viking Funeral." He looked pointedly up toward the sun, "Do you understand?"

Desperate to do anything to avoid taking a life, Clark looked for a way out of the situation, "There's got to be another way."

The clone in a faltering tone said, "There isn't. You do understand? What if my body retains some of its invulnerability and doesn't decompose like a human's. Cells could remain. A super Viking funeral for a Superman."

Nodding his understanding and acceptance, Superman said, "Yes, I understand."

The last of the clone's strength finally gave out and he collapsed into Superman's arms. Superman lowered him to the ground and cradled his near lifeless body.

The clone had some parting words, "It's not really the end. As long as you're still here ... brother."

With sadness on his face and in his voice, Superman said simply, "Brother."

The clone had breathed his last and Superman closed his eyes.

Lois said, "It's so sad," and there were tears in her eyes.

Superman handed the container with the hair to Lois and said, "Here, keep this safe until I can dispose of it."

As Lois took the container, he looked up at the sun and said, "I'm going to give him the funeral he asked for. I'm going to take him up and launch him into the sun. From now on, whenever I look at the sun … I'll think of him."

Lois placed a comforting hand on his arm and said, "I will too."

Picking up the clone, Superman said, "What about you?"

As she stuffed the container with his hair in her bag, she said, "I'll meet you back at the Planet. Don't worry about me. Take care of him." She choked up, "Give him his final wish."

He nodded and slowly lifted off while she headed for the entrance to the park to call a cab.

Later, back at the Planet, things seemed to have gotten back to normal. Lois was disappointed that they wouldn't be able to write the story, but it was better that the world didn't know that Superman had been cloned and how close they had come to having a brutal, amoral sociopath as a dictator backed by a man possessing Superman's powers as an enforcer. A Superman lacking all of Clark's inherent goodness and mid-west morality.

She pulled the container with the lock of hair from her bag and looked at it. Looking at it she was in a quandary. Should it be destroyed or should it be kept, but kept safely. Perhaps it could be kept with the globe in Smallville. Nobody would ever think to look for something like that there and Jonathan and Martha would keep it safe. She opened the container and picked up the lock of hair. Pinching it between her thumb and forefinger she brought it up to her nose and stroked it across a few times reveling in the feel of her husband's hair on her skin. Maybe she'd ask Clark if she could keep it. She could get a locket and keep it in there. That way she would have him with her even when he was away on a rescue. She didn't really fear that he wouldn't return from rescues because they hadn't had the baby yet. He would always come back to her, but it would be a comfort to her to have him with her like that.

A short time later, Clark stepped out of the stairwell, straightening his tie. He had a mournful expression on his face that wrenched at Lois's heart.

Lois stood as he approached and putting her arms around him and laid her head against his chest. She gave him a tight hug and asked, "How did it go?"

His arms went around her, "It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life. I don't know why. He was already dead and it was his last wish. It just …"

Lois interrupted, "I know, it was like watching a brother, a brother you never knew you had, die. I can imagine if it had been Lucy."

Jimmy came out of the elevator and passed them headed for Perry's office. He was obviously preoccupied or he might have made a comment about the PDA.

They were standing there, comforting and being comforted for a minute.

They were interrupted by Jimmy as he rushed out of the Chief's office and over to them. He asked, "Where's Perry?"

Without releasing Clark, Lois said, "Oh, he left about fifteen minutes ago."

Jimmy's face paled and he blurted out, "No!"

Instantly picking up on his mood, Clark asked, "What's going on?"

Jimmy's worry was evident and he was desperate to help his boss and mentor. He had promised Perry that he wouldn't say anything, but he was desperate, "I promised I wouldn't tell but ... I found out that the Chief got bad news at his physical last week. I think he's planning on doing away with himself."

Still holding onto Clark, Lois looked at Jimmy and said, "Jimmy, that's absurd."

Jimmy's tone held conviction and worry as he replied, "No, I swear! There's an entry in his calendar for tonight that says he's going to the Metropolis Bridge. I think he's going to jump!"

Lois and Clark were still skeptical, but the seeing the sincerity in Jimmy they exchanged a suddenly worried glance and joined Jimmy as he left to grab a cab.

After a wild cab ride they arrived at the Metropolis Bridge. As they climbed out of the cab they saw a crowd gathered on one side near the center. They headed in that direction and started elbowing their way through.

As they worked their way through they saw Perry standing head and shoulders above everyone else. Lois realized that he had to be standing on the railing on the side of the bridge. As they watched he nodded to them, then turned and dove off the side.

Jimmy cried out, "Chief! No!"

Lois stopped in mid-stride and turned to Clark who had suddenly disappeared. She heaved a sigh of relief and headed for Jimmy.

Jimmy was crushed. He had been too late to save him. He couldn't help himself, he had to see. He rushed to the side and as he got there Lois joined him.

Perry was still plummeting, falling faster and faster. In the dark it was hard to see, but Lois heard a metallic rustling sound and her attention was diverted from Perry to see what was causing the sound. She spotted a heavy metal buckle of some sort attached to a structural member. Looking more closely she saw what at first glance appeared to be a thick rope attached to it. She smiled in understanding and looked back at Perry. When she did she saw a blue and red figure next to him, paralleling his plummet, but not interfering.

As they watched Perry's shout finally reached their ears, "Geronimo!"

Suddenly as they watched his plunge slowed and finally stopped.

At the bottom of the plunge, Perry shouted, "Great ... Shades ... Of .... Elllllllllllvis!!!!!"

Superman hadn't acted, but unbelievably, Perry started to move back up against gravity toward the bridge.

Jimmy was stunned and was standing there gaping.

Lois took pity on him and pointed out the buckle and the bungee cord attached to it and Jimmy almost collapsed as relief flooded through him.

After Perry had bounced a few times and the ride appeared to be over, Superman grabbed him and flew him back up to the bridge surface. Once there the event team removed the harness from around his ankles. He thanked them and joined Jimmy, Lois and Clark. They all sat on the curb as Perry caught his breath.

Jimmy was beside himself and asked, "What's going on, Chief? I was afraid that you were committing suicide."

Perry was shocked, "Suicide? Turning fifty isn't a reason to do away with yourself."

Clark asked, "Fifty, huh?"

Shaking his head in chagrin, Perry replied, "The big five-oh."

Jimmy was coming out of his shock. He smiled and said, "Well … congratulations, Chief."

Perry smiled at his protégé and said a heartfelt, "Thank you."

Lois wasn't sure how Perry was going to take her next comment, but decided to go for it anyway, "Uh, Perry? One thing. I'd lose the hair piece."

Perry gave her a wry grin as he replied, "Alice says it turns her on. Says I look like a young Dan Rather. I must say, though, the other night when she cried out 'Oh, Dan,' I began to have second thoughts. So, well, I left that sucker down at the bottom of the canyon. So much for my mid-life crisis."

Jimmy and Perry stood and Perry draped his arm across Jimmy's shoulder. He asked, "You really thought I was gonna do away with myself?"

"Well, yeah. You had your physical and I thought that you had gotten bad news, like you had cancer or something."

"I hope you've learned your lesson, son."

Jimmy snarkily replied, "Yeah, never trust an old guy."

Perry smiled and said, "No. A good reporter never jumps to conclusions, Jimmy. You always have to verify your information and make sure it's correct. Without hard evidence you don't have a story. Keep that in mind next time you are working a story."

Jimmy brightened up, "The next time I'm working a story?"

Perry realized, belatedly, what he had said and tried to backtrack, "Well, yeah, eventually, uh, keep going the way you are and … sooner or later … sooner or later you'll be a reporter, but don't rush it. You've still got a lot to learn."

Lois and Clark gave them a head start and then they got up and strolled after them. They had arms around each other as they walked. Clark had a resigned tone in his voice as he said, "Well, there's only one Superman again."

"Yeah. All's right with the world ... er. Metropolis at least."

Clark replied, sadly, "Almost."

Lois challenged, "Almost?"

Clark looked up and said, "It might have been kind of nice. You know, to have two of us."

Lois was curious, "Why?"

Clark was surprised at her response, "Then I would have a brother. Someone to talk to, share with. We all need that."

Lois stopped them, turned to Clark, put her arms around his neck, brought her face close to his and said, "Well, I guess you'll just have to talk to me instead. I can be a pretty good listener, you know." As she finished speaking, she kissed him lightly.

He quickly forgot all but the woman in his arms, the woman that meant more to him than any possibility of a brother. The woman that completed and complicated his life in so many ways.

It was late afternoon when Luthor had arrived back in his office. As soon as he was ensconced behind his desk he had opened the humidor and selected a cigar. Once it was lit he depressed a switch on his intercom, "Nigel. My office."

A few minutes late, Nigel St. John entered and stood expectantly in front of Luthor's desk. He was expecting to hear from his boss that Superman had been eliminated, but he was to be disappointed.

"We failed, or I should say, the clone failed in its mission. Superman still lives."

"Very disappointing. Are you going to try again?"

"Worse luck, the clone rebelled and took the hair sample presumably to destroy it or, I shudder to think, return it to Superman. There will be no more clones of Superman unless we can find another sample of his DNA."

"What will you do next?"

"I think we will leave Superman alone for the time being. We will concentrate on Kent. The hit and run failed. Let's try something else next time."

"I got a copy of the report on the hit and run. It was just dumb luck that it failed. If he'd used a car instead of a truck he might have succeeded. There was just too much clearance under the vehicle. He was able to hang onto structural members underneath and avoided being dragged to death."

A few days later, Lois and Clark had received a call requesting that they meet an anonymous informant. It was requested that Clark meet them alone. Lois insisted on driving him to the meeting. She would wait in the Jeep while Clark met with the source.

At the appointed time, Lois pulled into a parking space near an intersection. Clark climbed out and crossed the street to the meeting location. It was the middle of the night and there was virtually no traffic.

Clark waited for ten minutes, but the tipster failed to show so he retraced his steps across the street. Lois was watching for him and when she saw him start to cross the street the light from a pair of headlights reflected from her mirror into her eyes and she heard an engine rev. She instantly flashed back to the hit and run with the truck. This appeared to be a car or minivan, but the result would be the same. He wouldn't be able to claim that here was enough clearance to avoid injury. His secret would be revealed.

Fortunately, as soon as she had seen Clark approaching she had started the engine. Without even considering the consequences, Lois threw the Jeep into gear and pulled out, directly in the path of the car.

The driver seeing her pull out reacted by yanking the wheel over in an attempt to avoid her, but in doing so the torque on the steering wheels was such that the bead was broken and the right front tire to instantly went flat. The wheel rim dug into the macadam, creating a furrow. That resistance caused the car to flip over barely missing the Jeep in its gyrations.

Lois had cut her wheels to the right as soon as she had jogged into the street rather than continuing across and quickly stopped the Jeep. She jumped out as Clark pulled the driver from the wreckage and ran to him.

He looked at her with concern in his eyes and asked, "Are you okay, Lois?"

Dismissively she said, "Yeah, I'm fine. Not a scratch. I think we need to call Bill."

"You think this was deliberate?"

"Yeah, it was just like the last time. Look it. You got an anonymous tip to meet a source that didn't show up. As soon as you start across the street this car starts up and heads right for you. If I'd let him hit you, you wouldn't have been hurt, but the secret would have been revealed. I had to stop him. I didn't have any choice. Now, let's call Bill and have him sequestered."

"Okay, you're right."

Clark made the call. Bill came to collect the unconscious driver and Clark helped load him into the back of his car. Bill turned to Lois and said, "That was quick thinking, Lois. Thanks to you, Clark wasn't hit again. I don't know that he'd have survived this time." He turned to Clark and said, "It sure looks like someone is out to get you. Next time they may try to shoot you."

Clark smiled.

Lois said, "I think he'll be bullet proof." She had an idea. Considering the fact that it was rather dark, she opened Clark's shirt, carefully, showed some blue material and said, "Bullet proof vest." She closed the shirt and said, "He's almost as bullet proof as Superman."

In his normal phlegmatic tone, Bill replied, "As long as they don't shoot him in the head."

comments go here

The End.

To be continued in: Fly Hard - Matchmaker Style

Last edited by KenJ; 05/01/15 10:31 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj