Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Cabbie's Tale

Comments appreciated.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
Bwaahaahaaa! rotflol That was great! I'm sure there are tons of people around Metropolis with these kinds of odd stories.
Then again, if Superman were going to live a regular life undercover in Metropolis, he certainly wouldn't pick a harpy for a girlfriend. Would he?
rotflol Best line EVER!

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
clap Bravo!

I wonder...Marv? Is that a reference to Sin City? (I never saw/read Sin City; I just know there's a guy named Marv in it).

~•~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
clap rotflol

That was amazing! Could not stop laughing. At first, I thought "Alonzo" was just a moniker given to Clark as the tailed him, and that he flew off when they lost him. This was SO MUCH better!

Superman with a harpy for a girlfriend - too funny!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
notworthy rotflol notworthy rotflol

Wonderful! Awesome! Perfect way to end the night clap.

And, yes, gotta agree: 'a harpy for a girlfriend' --Such A Great Line!

Loved it, Virginia smile
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 04/25/15 04:13 AM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wow. thud Such outpouring of love for my little unassuming story. Thank you. I'm glad you all enjoyed it.

Groobie: Feel free to write your own "The Florist's Tale". wink (I'm thinking of the one from the end of Illusions of Grandeur.)

Queen of Capes: No, Marv is just an ordinary name for an ordinary man. I've never seen / read / watched / played Sin City. Apparently, I don't know what it is either. smile

Deadly Chakram: You have uncovered deep depths to my subtle layers. I was going to add that Alonzo was an Intergang thug, but couldn't fit it in anywhere. I'm glad to have tickled your funny bone.

Laura: I'm always willing to send you to sleep with a smile on your face as your kind comments always bring one to mine.

Thank you all for not only reading, but also enjoying my story. smile1 And Lois would like me to remind you that she's not actually a harpy. wink wink

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I have to wonder how far removed from Henderson (different precinct, maybe?) he is. There'd be no way he'd be questioning why Superman loves a woman like Lois if he knew Henderson.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Christina: Sooooo? How are you doing? Recovering well, I hope! /hugs/

I have to wonder how far removed from Henderson (different precinct, maybe?) he is. There'd be no way he'd be questioning why Superman loves a woman like Lois if he knew Henderson.
People make snap judgements about others all the time without knowing all the facts or the people involved. Also, Metropolis is a big city. One couldn't expect every undercover cop to know Lois and/or Henderson. Although, since the 12th is Henderson's precinct, logic dictates that Marv and Henderson know each other. But knowing Henderson doesn't mean Marv knows Lois and Clark or thus understands why Clark loves her so. Henderson was lucky ( evil ) to spend enough time with these reporters and got to get to know them better. Thanks for taking time in your busy day to read my story. smile

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
In case you missed it, Groobie has picked up my challenge and written her own tale: The Florist's Tale . clap

VirginiaR.
---
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Christina: Sooooo? How are you doing? Recovering well, I hope! /hugs/

People make snap judgements about others all the time without knowing all the facts or the people involved. Also, Metropolis is a big city. One couldn't expect every undercover cop to know Lois and/or Henderson. Although, since the 12th is Henderson's precinct, logic dictates that Marv and Henderson know each other. But knowing Henderson doesn't mean Marv knows Lois and Clark or thus understands why Clark loves her so. Henderson was lucky ( evil ) to spend enough time with these reporters and got to get to know them better. Thanks for taking time in your busy day to read my story. smile

I still think there's a change this uni (I assume a uni, although I suppose her could be part of the organized crime task force given his assignment) has run into Lois at least once before when she was brought to a scene. Still I think it's funny to think of him not quite putting two and two together to get Lois and Clark/Superman).

CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Christina
I still think there's a change this uni (I assume a uni, although I suppose her could be part of the organized crime task force given his assignment) has run into Lois at least once before when she was brought to a scene. Still I think it's funny to think of him not quite putting two and two together to get Lois and Clark/Superman).
Do you mean uni as in Universe or uni as in Unit? I, personally, just thought it would be funny, if the cab driver that Clark dragged down the street with his super suck (breath?) turned out to have been an undercover policeman. So, while trying to appease Lois, Clark inadvertently disrupted a police investigation. Having said policeman not recognize Lois and Clark works best for this scenario, especially if he starts to wonder if the man in his cab was Superman (undercover). Although, sometime in the future, Marv could bump into Lois and Clark at some crime scene and suddenly starts pointing at Clark and impersonating a fish. evil But where would be the fun in that?

VirginiaR.
---
Kerth
Kerth
Other authors should write little stories, too. The Canterbury Tales of Metropolis. laugh

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by groobie
Other authors should write little stories, too. The Canterbury Tales of Metropolis. laugh
->You. Me<- Great minds! (i.e. pointing to you and me, great minds thinking alike.) I was thinking just the same thing! There's got to be other moments in the series where this happens. The only other ones I can think of off the top of my head... Hold on. Let's make it a challenge! smile There we go: The Canterbury Tales of Metropolis Challenge.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 04/27/15 08:01 PM. Reason: grammar

VirginiaR.
---
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Do you mean uni as in Universe or uni as in Unit? I, personally, just thought it would be funny, if the cab driver that Clark dragged down the street with his super suck (breath?) turned out to have been an undercover policeman. So, while trying to appease Lois, Clark inadvertently disrupted a police investigation. Having said policeman not recognize Lois and Clark works best for this scenario, especially if he starts to wonder if the man in his cab was Superman (undercover). Although, sometime in the future, Marv could bump into Lois and Clark at some crime scene and suddenly starts pointing at Clark and impersonating a fish. evil But where would be the fun in that?

Uni as in "uniformed officer." It's a term used for a beat cop if I recall correctly. I hear it used a lot on "Castle" coming from Ryan, Esposito or Beckett.

It would be evily hilarious to see the shock on the guy's face if they saw him at a crime scene (maybe "Wall of Sound"?) only to have Henderson tag the guy on the shoulder and give him a look that says "can it."

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Christina
Uni as in "uniformed officer." It's a term used for a beat cop if I recall correctly. I hear it used a lot on "Castle" coming from Ryan, Esposito or Beckett.
Oh. I'm waiting for Netflix Instant list to bring that one back so I can finally see what all the hype is about.

It would be evily hilarious to see the shock on the guy's face if they saw him at a crime scene (maybe "Wall of Sound"?) only to have Henderson tag the guy on the shoulder and give him a look that says "can it."
clap I agree.

VirginiaR.
---
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

The Cabbie’s Tale (1/1)

By: VirginiaR.
jawdrop thud

It's unbeta'd, so I apologize for any grammar mistakes.
/sharpens pen/

Marv opened the door to his favorite hangout. His day had been long, frustrating, and, well, frankly bizarre.
So, taxi driver story? Like with Robert DeNiro?

but the Mocking Bridge never was… not after quitting time for the day shift, at least.
A place where professional drivers gather at night to indulge in large quantities of fermented grain?

“You okay, Marv? You look a little green around the gills.”
sick

Both Bonnie and Frank nodded with understanding. The job was what brought most people to the Mocking Bridge.
Annoying passengers?

Marv set down his glass. “Well, we followed Alonzo sixteen blocks.
Huh.

“I lost him, Frank. Sixteen blocks, Joe, Vinnie and I were on him like glue.”
Mobsters? Hiding as cabbies?

“I agree. It doesn’t make any sense for Alonzo to go by the Twelfth. Any rookie would love to pick him up for jaywalking,” Frank said, chuckling.
Oh. Cops.

“Suddenly, my car starts backing up, all on its own, like it’s possessed.
confused Is Alonzo Clark?

“Finally, it stops by these ordinary suits, a young couple, and they climb into my cab!”
Ah yes. Now, when was this.

“You sure that it wasn’t my first wife?” Frank asked.

“I said she was young, Frank,” Marv snapped back. “And a looker, too.”
laugh

“She’s reads me
An ‘s’ to many.

I’m not leaving! Possession is 9/10ths of the law.’”
clap How she explains her Superman stories. And keeping Superman in her bedroom.

Frank was roaring with laughter, now. “You should’ve drawn your gun.”
That might have ended badly. For the cabbie/cop.

Kept rambling along the way that she was going to catch the woman impersonating her.
Ah, yes.

I just tried to find the scene, and at minute 12:30-13:00 Lois places a newspaper with ‘Fruit Fly Spraying’ onto some board. That’s odd. Do they have those several times a year?

Apparently, my crazy driving spooks Alonzo and he runs into the subway.
Hmm…past tense instead?

Marv removed his hands from his beer to show Frank the red streaks across his palms “I was holding on to the steering wheel for dear life, Frank. I got contact burns.”
Ah, that’s why they were burning earlier.
CLARK: Funny, I remember streaks like that…[Linked Image]
LOIS: Really?

Then again, if Superman were going to live a regular life undercover in Metropolis, he certainly wouldn't pick a harpy for a girlfriend. Would he?
CLARK: They’re real and they’re spectacular. huh

Still… That man also wore glasses.

Nah, Marv thought, shaking his head again. Superman wouldn’t have interfered with a police investigation. He would’ve known that Marv wasn’t a cabbie, but one of his brothers in blue. Right?
He really is an odd combination of smart leaps of thought and narrowminded denseness.
LOIS: He related to you, Clark? Maybe your real father?

Marv lifted his hand and swirled a finger in a circle towards Tony. “Next round’s on me,” he said, dropping a twenty on the table.

Superman tipped well.
LOIS: Clark, what did you just write on that twenty bill?
CLARK: What? Nothing?
MARV: ‘Sorry’? Suits…

That was grand fun, Virginia! A missing chapter from the alternate alternate alternate Wrong Clark wink

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Darth Michael: Michael! hyper
Originally Posted by Michael
Originally Posted by Story
The Cabbie’s Tale (1/1)

By: VirginiaR.
ER: /drops jaw and promptly passes out/
shock What? What did I do? Get distracted from Wrong Clark and write a vignette? [Linked Image] Okay. I guess I did that.

/sharpens pen/
Thanks, Michael, but Marcelle has already G.E.'d it. I'm surprised she didn't pass out from shock too. (She G.E.'d ML and GEM for me.) I didn't wait my usual 2 weeks before sending it to Labby. (Eyes muse and sees if she's come up with a proper ending / epilogue for my last story... nope. Still hoping.)

So, taxi driver story? Like with Robert DeNiro?
Maybe.

A place where professional drivers gather at night to indulge in large quantities of fermented grain?
A sub-category of drivers, yes.

Originally Posted by ER
Originally Posted by Cabbie's Tale
“You okay, Marv? You look a little green around the gills.”
ER: /like this?/
How most people look after riding with Lois in the car.
CLARK: Usually when she's been driving.
LOIS: Hey! No, wait. I'll accept that answer.

Annoying passengers?
Yes. From a certain POV.

Mobsters? Hiding as cabbies?
Interesting guess.

Oh. Cops.
[Linked Image]

Is Alonzo Clark?
That would've been funny, but No.

Ah yes. Now, when was this.
I know that feeling. I remembered the scene (and I knew I had watched it recently, only...) I couldn't recall which S2 episode it was. I had to do some more research. /shucks./ wink

An ‘s’ to many.
Thanks. We fixed that one for the Archives.

How she explains her Superman stories. And keeping Superman in her bedroom.
CLARK: Okay. I'll accept that answer.
LOIS: Get out, Clark!

That might have ended badly. For the cabbie/cop.
MARV: And then my gun turned bright red and started burning my hand...

I just tried to find the scene, and at minute 12:30-13:00 Lois places a newspaper with ‘Fruit Fly Spraying’ onto some board. That’s odd. Do they have those several times a year?
Yes, I recalled seeing that too. That was a terrible gaff. What if it was another DP on LOVE paper?
LOIS: What? We were exposed to Revenge again and I don't recall a thing!
CLARK: /loosens collar/ You don't? My, is that the time?

Originally Posted by Michael
Originally Posted by Cabbie's Tale
Apparently, my crazy driving spooks Alonzo and he runs into the subway.
Hmm…past tense instead?
I figure since it's dialogue I was allowed to bend some grammar rules with it.

Ah, that’s why they were burning earlier.
CLARK: Funny, I remember streaks like that…/forgets that Lois doesn't know about the K-Cage/
LOIS: Really?
CLARK: Never mind.

CLARK: They’re real and they’re spectacular.
Harpies?

He really is an odd combination of smart leaps of thought and narrowminded denseness.
Aren't we all?

LOIS: He related to you, Clark? Maybe your real father?
MARV: Excuse Me, missy! Big Brother at most.

LOIS: Clark, what did you just write on that twenty bill?
CLARK: What? Nothing?
MARV: ‘Sorry’? Suits…
clap

That was grand fun, Virginia!
Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

A missing chapter from the alternate alternate alternate Wrong Clark
Actually, I'm trying to separate out these little detour stories that occur to me and make them their own stories, instead of making WC 100+ more parts.

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

EW: Michael! /very excited that the ER has some spare time floating around/
blush

I'm surprised she didn't pass out from shock too. (She G.E.'d ML and GEM for me.)
laugh

(Eyes muse and sees if she's come up with a proper ending / epilogue for my last story... nope. Still hoping.)
Yes, it is on my todo list… blush I’ll definitely move it to the top if an epilogue appears?

How most people look after riding with Lois in the car.
CLARK: Usually when she's been driving.
LOIS: Hey! No, wait. I'll accept that answer.
rotflol

I know that feeling. I remembered the scene (and I knew I had watched it recently, only...) I couldn't recall which S2 episode it was. I had to do some more research. /shucks./
Research, huh? Why I usually try to impose strict measures on certain TV shows I have the DVDs for. Only in order. And only during the off seasons to fill the gaps. Otherwise, well…binge watching can become awkward with shows that ran for 4+ seasons.

ER: How she explains her Superman stories. And keeping Superman in her bedroom.
CLARK: Okay. I'll accept that answer.
LOIS: Get out, Clark!
For some reason, I’m thinking this is playing while Clark’s sitting in her bedroom…

MARV: And then my gun turned bright red and started burning my hand...
But didn’t they prove last year that Superman’s not responsible for spot heating the city?

What if it was another DP on LOVE paper?
LOIS: What? We were exposed to Revenge again and I don't recall a thing!
CLARK: /loosens collar/ You don't? My, is that the time?
laugh
Good thing she hasn’t yet examined her left hand.

I figure since it's dialogue I was allowed to bend some grammar rules with it.
huh Only if one would actually say it like that? No idea if tense-switching is common in real life talking?

CLARK: They’re real and they’re spectacular.
EW: Harpies?
laugh
[Linked Image]
But no, this is a Seinfeld reference, introduced to me by MLT’s Curiosity Killed the Reporter.

Actually, I'm trying to separate out these little detour stories that occur to me and make them their own stories, instead of making WC 100+ more parts.
laugh That’s…hmm…I’ll go with fun?

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard