Description: Lois has been waiting since she was nineteen to meet a certain, super-special someone. Sequel to Vision of Destiny and part 2 in the Destiny series. TOC

From Chapter 12

Touching down next to her desk she released her arms from his neck but left them resting on his shoulders. "I think, considering the fact that I saw you first, you owe me an exclusive." She tried to sound professional, but the tears threatening to spill brought a tremble to her voice, and the flight had left her breathless. He had left her breathless. She gazed into his eyes and found herself drowning in the deep warmth that looked back at her.

"Is that the rule?" There was humour in his reply. His stoic distance had faded a little after her latest reassurances and thanks.

"Well, no. But ... I'd appreciate it very much." She dropped her hands reluctantly. "Please?" She let all her love show in the sparkle of her eyes.

"I'll think about it, Lois." He laughed. "But I wonder if maybe you know more than you are letting on, already." After an initial moment of teasing his gaze became intense. She gasped and gulped. Could he read the guilt in her eyes?

Turning, he lifted into the air and drifted back out of the open window.

She stood, rooted to the spot, gazing after him. How long would it be until Clark came strolling into the newsroom as if nothing extraordinary had happened? Would he say anything, drop any hints that she was supposed to pick up on? Would he pretend to be completely oblivious to what had just happened? Would he ask to speak to her and pull her into the conference room demanding to know what she knew?

"Did you find out what the 'S' stands for?" An annoying voice at her shoulder commanded attention.

"Super," she whispered out, then looked round and confronted Cat face to face and boldly declared to the room, "Superman."

Chapter 13

Lois' eyes flicked to the elevator every time it dinged. It was now three hours since Clark had flown out of the newsroom but he hadn't returned. She'd expected him to leave - dressed in blue - and return - dressed in brown, or maybe grey … or possibly even charcoal. But it turned out that he'd taken the day off, just like her.

Still, she'd expected him to show up. Why, she had no idea. Logically he would want to distance 'Clark' from 'Superman' as much as possible. Except … she just had this feeling that … Superman should fly off … and Clark should immediately walk in.

She sighed and looked back to her computer. The questions which had been fired at her by the other reporters had been uncomfortable to say the least. But, she'd recognised that the public would actually be asking exactly the same questions, so she'd put the answers to most of them in her article. There was much more information contained in her memory that she hadn't put in, though. Facts she shouldn't, logically, know yet. Plus, facts she wouldn't print even when she did legitimately know them.

Now, the article was done. Superman had been introduced to the world. She just needed to submit it to Perry. Nerves assailed her as she pushed the print button. What if she'd gotten something wrong? What if she'd put in a fact that wasn't a fact? It was a constant possibility with her mashed up memories from OL.

That was one reason why she'd wanted Clark back. He could have read it over and would definitely have pointed out anything he was unhappy with, but he could have done it under the guise of 'editing her copy'.

She stood and sauntered over to the printer, then took a glance around the newsroom. The chatter and buzz was higher than usual and all the televisions were on and displaying constant news feeds. Usually one or two were on around the room, but every single television was tuned to a news channel, and they were all covering Superman. A few amateur videos had made their way into the hands of these media outlets and they were shown repeatedly. One of the videos was of the Prometheus taking off. You could barely see Clark at the bottom of one of the boosters. The rest were from out and about in Metropolis. One reason that Clark had not returned was because he was making his presence known. Widely!

The elevator 'dinged' and she instinctively looked towards it again, but it wasn't Clark.

She still felt as if he should return to the newsroom … to her. But he clearly wasn't going to. It was his day off. And he had an alter ego to establish. And he wasn't desperate to spend time with her. Possibly that was because he wasn't interested at all, or possibly because he was concerned and confused by what happened earlier.

"Lois. You got that exclusive for me yet?" came the Chief's voice from the doorway of his office.

"Uh, yes." She tore her gaze away from the nearest screen, which was currently showing a still, but blurry, photograph of Clark's cape, the yellow diamond 'S' slightly off centre in the picture. She held up the sheet of paper which had been in her hand for five minutes, waved it at Perry, and then began to stride towards him.

"Here you go, Chief," she declared as she reached the doorway. He took the proffered paper and grunted in acknowledgement.

"How much red ink am I gonna need on this, Lois?" he questioned, carefully.

"Chief?" she replied in horror. He raised an eyebrow and she rolled her eyes. "I used the spell check this time."

"Really. Well, let's just see, shall we?" He turned and closed the door behind him. Lois watched through the slats in his blind as he made his way back to his desk, already reading through her copy.

She headed back to her own desk, taking a slight detour past Clark's. She trailed her hand over the edge and smiled. There wasn't much on here yet: his computer and phone, a notepad, some pens and a coffee mug.

As she sat down opposite and looked back over she wondered how long it would be until he brought some personal items. Maybe a plant. And how long until a photograph of the two of them had pride of place? She could almost see the photograph that would be on her desk if she closed her eyes and concentrated enough. But then it would blur and fade within seconds.

"So, I guess he showed you the stars, eh, Lois," came the sarcastic voice from behind.

She opened her eyes and rolled them up to the ceiling before twirling round on her chair. "It's daytime, Cat," she drawled. "Or, are you confused at being able to see everything without turning the lights on?" Lois grinned. "It's called the Sun, you know. Opposite of the Moon. It comes out in the daytime. Stars kinda fade away with how bright it is, you know."

Cat glared at her. "I get it. He wasn't interested." She laughed. "I am not at all surprised. I mean, a god in a cape, with awesome powers, and a … seriously sexy body … would find it hard to raise any interest in a workaholic, emotionless-"

Lois stood in anger and her chair skittered out behind her. Cat immediately stopped her insults and took a step back.

"Whoa! Hold on there, Lois."

"For your information, Cat …" Lois opened her mouth and then realised that anything she said next would either incriminate her, or Clark, or Superman or any combination.

"Hey!" Cat held up her hands in surrender. "If you can't take a little teasing …" She laughed again. "It's just a pity your handsome partner wasn't around. I'd have liked to see his reaction to you in another man's arms."

Cat began to walk off. Lois called after her, frowning. "What the heck is that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing, Lois. Nothing at all."

Lois turned back to her desk as Cat's voice faded. Drawing her chair back up she sat down.

It's just a pity your handsome partner wasn't around. I'd have liked to see his reaction to you in another man's arms.

Was she hinting that Clark wouldn't like the idea? That was a given … years in the future. But what about now? Lois' heart began to race. She glanced up at the elevator doors once more. Oh, Clark was not coming back, but it was an instinctual reaction she had to thoughts of him. Either that, or looking across at his desk.

Lois began to recall instances over the last few days. Leaning back in her chair she began to swing it a little. Clark had asked her out … clear and simple. She'd also intercepted and cut off two other possible requests for a date.

Now, there was a chance it was her own projected emotions, and she'd misinterpreted all those situations, but … she'd also seen affectionate looks on his face. She drew the line at calling them 'devoted' or 'loving' in case she was overestimating. Still, there was something. And Cat had just indicated the presence of … jealousy - from Clark.

Her heart skipped a beat once more. A smile came to her face and could not be contained.

Since the life-threatening circumstances of the last few days she had come to the realisation that trying to live OL's life would not necessarily guarantee a life with Clark. So, she should live her own life.

And that meant being with Clark. Now.

If he wasn't attracted to her, then she was resolved to work on him. At every possible opportunity. But maybe he already was attracted to her. All she needed to do was make her interest known.

She couldn't wait. She dropped her gaze to the floor and a cheeky smile stole over her face as she considered telling him all about 'Superman'. Possibly the jealousy card was the perfect card to play to win this game.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Morning Lois." The voice of her future husband came over her shoulder.

"Clark, where've you been?" Lois immediately felt altogether disappointed, worried and rejected that he'd never returned to the office yesterday. She pushed away those unhelpful thoughts and, instead, remembered her resolve to let him know her interest in him, but also to tease him and rouse a little jealousy.

"Around," came Clark's vague - but completely truthful - reply. Lois had to suppress a laugh.

"Well, not that it's anywhere near as exciting as the stories you covered on your round the world adventures, but Superman was in the newsroom and I've just about nailed down the exclusive." She grinned in triumph and happiness.

"Well, congratulations." His voice was bright and encouraging, but his eyes looked wary.

"Clark, you should've seen him, up close." Clark deserved all the teasing that was coming to him for ignoring her, for not finding her attractive - possibly - for not giving her an interview and for not returning to work yesterday. "He is the most magnificent figure of a man I've ever…"

"Sounds like he made quite an impression on you." His voice was extremely wary. Did he not like her admiring his body?

"He did... why? Are you concerned about his legitimacy?"

"Superman? No!" His sudden defence of his alter ego was understandable. "No," he spoke more calmly. "He seems genuine … uh, what I saw anyway."

Lois slid her arm into Clark's and began leading him toward the elevators. "What you saw? What did you see of Superman?"

"Um, the same as everyone else I guess."

"Really, cause I didn't see you around the newsroom at all yesterday." She stopped them and looked up at him.

"Uh." His eyes were wide. "So, where are we going?" he asked, changing the subject.

"Terrorist shoot-out on Sixth." She couldn't help but smile. It was cruel, to play these tricks on him, make him uncomfortable. But it made her feel better at the moment. Until he was in love with her she'd comfort herself with this little game. "And Clark." They arrived at the elevators and Lois turned. "Just to make sure you are pulling your weight in this partnership … it's your turn to ask the questions. Then after that … you're taking me to lunch."

THE END

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Fear not. The story will continue in Coping with Destiny. (Although it may be quite some time off - sorry.)

Comments

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."