Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#262833 04/26/15 02:13 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I hope you enjoyed my little peeks into Clark's mind during some of the toughest times of his life. I was going to hold this one until mid-week, but I kind of got really excited about getting it out there.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
"Jor-El was wrong."
"Used to."
"Lois."

You've shown that often the shortest, simplest sentences are the most powerful.

I love the last line of the story. With that one line, you've managed to turn what was an otherwise incredibly depressing piece into one of hope. (And I say that even though I've always disliked the whole reincarnation premise.)

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., I had been sure, as I was reading the earlier parts of the story, that you would end with Lois telling Clark, while they were in his special "betwixt and between" place that he was not alone anymore. Silly me...

Last edited by Lynn S. M.; 04/26/15 04:07 PM. Reason: Added p.s.
Kerth
Kerth
Really interesting piece - very powerful and insightful. It drew me in with the sad look at his life as a teenager, and I can definitely believe that that feeling of being alone, disconnected in a fundamental way from the rest of the world, would persist throughout his life. That at every low point in his life, he'd come back to that feeling. Great job!

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
"Jor-El was wrong."
"Used to."
"Lois."

You've shown that often the shortest, simplest sentences are the most powerful.

I love the last line of the story. With that one line, you've managed to turn what was an otherwise incredibly depressing piece into one of hope. (And I say that even though I've always disliked the whole reincarnation premise.)

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., I had been sure, as I was reading the earlier parts of the story, that you would end with Lois telling Clark, while they were in his special "betwixt and between" place that he was not alone anymore. Silly me...

Thank you, Lynn. I love those short, simple, but powerful sentences - whenever and wherever I see them. I think they really hit home, somehow.

I'm glad you liked the last line. I've always been on the fence about the reincarnation thing, but I *do* like the idea that Lois and Clark's souls are intertwined - that you won't find one without the other. It just hammers home just how strong their love is.

I did want to provide a comprehensive overview of Clark's life with this tale - how his "alone" moments came fast and furious in the early stages of his life only to become fewer and further between as Lois comes into his life and they build a future together. Of course, I think the most devastating moment would be if he outlived her, and I thought it would be fun to spend time with Clark the very last time he gets to visit his special place.

Thanks for reading!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by groobie
Really interesting piece - very powerful and insightful. It drew me in with the sad look at his life as a teenager, and I can definitely believe that that feeling of being alone, disconnected in a fundamental way from the rest of the world, would persist throughout his life. That at every low point in his life, he'd come back to that feeling. Great job!

Thanks so much! The show/Dean did such a great job of showing Clark's despair at key moments in his life. It felt so natural that he would seek out a place as lonely and inaccessible as he felt. Thanks for reading!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
So sad and melancholy, DC. I wasn't expecting a fic to stretch the entirety of Clark's life into all the dark spots. You actually made me tear up when he started in about the end of Lois's life and how he knew he would be alone again. /hugs Clark/

I agree with what Groobie wrote:
I can definitely believe that that feeling of being alone, disconnected in a fundamental way from the rest of the world, would persist throughout his life. That at every low point in his life, he'd come back to that feeling.
Yet, one would hope that Clark went up to his alone spot in times of happiness as well, not only when he was depressed. I would think Clark in his optimistic way would also go to his alone spot to celebrate not being alone anymore. After meeting Lois. After first kissing Lois (real, not a ruse). After Lois tells him she still loves him despite him lying to her about Superman (i.e. with Lois.) After Lois proposes. After hearing he'll be a father for the first time (and the second and third, etc.) After spending a night with his baby crying ALL NIGHT LONG and he *needs* some alone time and quiet. After learning his child has powers like his. (That could both be an exciting and scary moment for Clark.) Taking his child up to the spot. You make being alone sound like such a bad thing. Sometimes being alone is a great time to take a moment to reflect and celebrate the good in one's life. I, too, was looking forward to seeing him bringing Lois to share his alone spot.

It was a good story, reflecting on some of the sad times in Clark's life.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
I would think Clark in his optimistic way would also go to his alone spot to celebrate not being alone anymore. ... After spending a night with his baby crying ALL NIGHT LONG and he *needs* some alone time and quiet.
Oh, what a sweet thought! When my son was inconsolable, I put him in the car and drove around the neighborhood for 15 minutes or so - it always instantly knocked him out (lol...it still does!). I can see Clark, at his wits end, impulsively picking his son up and flying him into his quiet place in space, and then realizing that it instantly comforted the baby. And then just adorably hanging up there in space with him night after night, turning his alone place into their place. smile

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
So sad and melancholy, DC. I wasn't expecting a fic to stretch the entirety of Clark's life into all the dark spots. You actually made me tear up when he started in about the end of Lois's life and how he knew he would be alone again. /hugs Clark/

I agree with what Groobie wrote:
I can definitely believe that that feeling of being alone, disconnected in a fundamental way from the rest of the world, would persist throughout his life. That at every low point in his life, he'd come back to that feeling.
Yet, one would hope that Clark went up to his alone spot in times of happiness as well, not only when he was depressed. I would think Clark in his optimistic way would also go to his alone spot to celebrate not being alone anymore. After meeting Lois. After first kissing Lois (real, not a ruse). After Lois tells him she still loves him despite him lying to her about Superman (i.e. with Lois.) After Lois proposes. After hearing he'll be a father for the first time (and the second and third, etc.) After spending a night with his baby crying ALL NIGHT LONG and he *needs* some alone time and quiet. After learning his child has powers like his. (That could both be an exciting and scary moment for Clark.) Taking his child up to the spot. You make being alone sound like such a bad thing. Sometimes being alone is a great time to take a moment to reflect and celebrate the good in one's life. I, too, was looking forward to seeing him bringing Lois to share his alone spot.

It was a good story, reflecting on some of the sad times in Clark's life.

Virginia - you *might* be a mind-reader. When I started this, I was actually thinking of doing both the sad and happy moments in his life. Actually, I had "after the birth of his first child" on my outline of moments I might hit upon. But, as it turned out, while writing, I liked how powerful it felt just focusing on one side of the coin - the sad side.

But, who knows? Maybe my muse will be inspired to do a companion piece. She's just a little bogged down with three other fics - including an attempt to answer the "elf yourself" challenge.

Anyway, thanks for reading. And yes, it makes me feel good to know that I made you tear up at the end. wink

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I would think Clark in his optimistic way would also go to his alone spot to celebrate not being alone anymore. ... After spending a night with his baby crying ALL NIGHT LONG and he *needs* some alone time and quiet.
Oh, what a sweet thought! When my son was inconsolable, I put him in the car and drove around the neighborhood for 15 minutes or so - it always instantly knocked him out (lol...it still does!). I can see Clark, at his wits end, impulsively picking his son up and flying him into his quiet place in space, and then realizing that it instantly comforted the baby. And then just adorably hanging up there in space with him night after night, turning his alone place into their place. smile

That actually would be a very sweet scene. I'll have to file that away in mind if I write a companion piece.

On the flip side, when my girls were younger, they wouldn't sleep in the car unless we were on the highway. They did NOT take well to stop signs and/or traffic lights. laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This was probably one of the most thought provoking stories you have ever written. Thanks for letting us look into Clark's mind and heart. notworthy

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Kerth
Kerth
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
That actually would be a very sweet scene. I'll have to file that away in mind if I write a companion piece.

Feel free to use the idea! smile

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Morgana
This was probably one of the most thought provoking stories you have ever written. Thanks for letting us look into Clark's mind and heart. notworthy

blush Thank you so much. I guess I was in a contemplative mood when I started writing it. Thanks for reading!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram

Feel free to use the idea! smile

Thank you! It's been rolling around in my head, but I *have* to finish at least one of the 3 WIPs on my computer first! wink

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
So powerfully written, DC notworthy...

I've been playing a perpetual game of 'catch-up' on the boards this week it seems (argh--RL wink ), and have been meaning and really wanting to read this.

Very much loved the feel of this piece--the emotion--that is so easy to pull from Clark in your writing. You really get into his feelings, his stages of life, adjusting to being Super and oh-so-very-much of what that really encompasses. How his life has been about, really, trying to find connection--when for so very long there was disconnect.

I loved the thread of Lois throughout it all...and yes, you had me tearing up, also. Finding Lois--and realizing how much she was the key to his life--and then loosing that, loosing her. Pulls at the heart.

Love your work. And this piece...wow, so unique! clap
Laura

Ironically, my kids never were much for car sleeping, even when they were babies. They would both pretty much cry through any car trips. And now--3 and 5--have literally gone with us on 10 hour trips both wide awake the entire time. Talk about a long car ride shock thud. (The 'Are we there yet?'s' never-ending wink ).

Our sanity saving grace the first year of both of their lives? The swing. When in doubt, put them in the swing hail.

Last edited by LMA; 05/01/15 05:25 AM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thank you so much! That's some high praise! Glad you liked it. I love getting to look inside the minds of characters every once in a while. I am seriously considering a companion piece for it.

As for the swings - mine loved the swings until they learned how to roll over. Then they never wanted to be in them again. frown However, up until that point, the swings were awesome to stick them in for double bottle feedings!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Vicki! Wondering what’s up with these two smile1 Let’s see…
Alone.
Oh, duh! [Linked Image] Okay, guys, who’s keeping the Kryptonian isolated? You *know* he needs a Lois to properly flourish. Otherwise, he just sits around and mopes the entire day.

I can't hear the conversations of my neighbors,
WOMAN: You come home at *this* time? And you smell! What is that, whisky and cheap floozy? [Linked Image]

clear as day though they live several miles down the road.
Oh, where is he? Smallville?
CLARK: Don’t be silly, Lana only lives 1.5 miles down *that* road.

No sounds of screams coming from the Smallville hospital,
Please! Please, no more cutting! Please, not the bone saw! Have mercy, at least give me something to drink first!

Space.

Endless space.
These are the adventures of the Kryptonian baby capsule NK-1702…

I can see and hear what I should not be able too.
LOIS: Check.

I can set fires with my eyes.
JIMMY /looks at Lois/: Check.
LOIS: mad
JIMMY: Double-check.

My breath can chill just about anything.
CAT: She certainly is the Ice Queen.

My muscles are able to lift things that are many, many times my own weight.
RALPH: I never tested that theory. But then, I do like to stay clear that one time a month.

My skin is impervious to cuts, scrapes, bruises, burns, and punctures.
PERRY: They sure never stopped her from bringing home the next big story.

I'm faster than any car, truck, train, or plane.
TAXI DRIVER: And they call *us* reckless drivers.

I can fly.
LOIS: [Linked Image]

What difference does it make if I'm from Earth or some planet from Alpha Centauri?
He’s a Na’vi? Should have seen that one, tall and blue that he is.

Oh, I know certain things - values instilled in me by my parents since the day I unexpectedly crashed into their lives. I know I'll never use my extraordinary abilities to hurt people or to cheat my way to the top.
LEX: So it *is* nurture, not nature. I wonder if I can get a copy or mind-wipe him or something…

Lana sure forgot about me fast. We broke up and a week later, she was dating two other guys simultaneously.
Maybe he *should* have put out? Maybe *then* she’d not have been looking elsewere?

I'm not looking for perfection. I'm not expecting some grand utopia to materialize before me.
LEX: So, he *doesn’t* want to remake the world in his image?

I just want to - for once - feel some kind of connection to a place.
TRASK: I could shackle him to a wall. Would that help?

And, to my lasting surprise, the world has embraced him, though they have every right to be terrified of the awesome powers he wields with such ease.
Well…considering the nuke in Independence Day didn’t work, why would it against Superman. Best to just placate him with virgins.
RALPH: He’s got heat vision. Maybe we should see if he can thaw the Ice Queen.
CAT: Are you nuts? The man needs an *experienced* welcome party!

And yet, I've always feared this place in my life, where I am completely exposed to the world at large.
Maybe he should have used something sturdier than spandex, then?

And if Lois can't tell that Clark and Superman are one and the same
LOIS: Clark? Uh… He’s…uh…5’10? Dark hair, going bald. A hunchback kind of, right? Always wears old suits he got from goodwill? huh

And yet, maybe I don't have to be as lonesome as I once was.
[Linked Image] : The Guardian of the People bears his cross alone, forsaking all worldly relations to focus on what is important.
ALFRED: wave
[Linked Image] : The Guardian of the People still needs someone to prepare his morning coffee, iron the newspaper and wash the sheets.
SELINA: wave
[Linked Image] : The Guardian of the People’s butler needs a reason why the sheets require washing. Also, she’s a cat-burglar, what part of ‘very flexible’ don’t you get?
[Linked Image] : confused This whole thing is very confusing.
LOIS: You will *not* sleep with Cat.
[Linked Image] : Yes dear?
LOIS: And you will make your *own* breakfast.
[Linked Image] : I can see why you are thinking of staying alone in this world. But maybe I introduce you to Linda King? Vicky once mentioned she was a passable reporter. Plus, a blonde!

the once burning wanderlust within them now fully extinguished, so that not even the minutest ember survives.
And yet, he almost up and left numerous times.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Still, after the messages that my father left me, my very soul feels heavy - like some invisible weights have been suddenly thrust upon me. And I'm struggling - truly struggling - to find away to lift that burden from my heart. To find a way to make peace with the awful knowledge I now posses.
…that my birthwife Zara is already on the way and will be here within a couple of years.

How could I have possibly known that I'd become a lethal super conductor for the sun's rays?
Things you get for almost failing highschool physics while doodling with your blonde girlfriend, for 100 please.

Already, there have been reports of several heat-related deaths in Metropolis.
NOR: wave

And I've abandoned her.

Alone.

For the treason I've committed against Lois, perhaps living my life completely alone is exactly the punishment I deserve.
[Linked Image]

His aim - I'm sure - to control her, to break her away from everyone who loves and cares for her.
LEX: A hobby?

There is no part of me that believes Luthor is capable of loving anyone but himself, let alone Lois.
LEX: I do not need self love.

No, criminal isn't the right word. Sociopath is more accurate.
Yes. He’s a sociopath. Possibly with a narcissistic inclination.

No one has ever earned my complete trust before - caused me to open up as much as I have.
LOIS: Complete *trust*? rotflol

The truth is, with the exception of my Spandex clad activities, with Lois, I have no secrets.
And yet he hasn’t told her about being a v…very patient man, either.

And so my heart once more bleeds in my loneliness, yearning to be able to fix things between Lois and me, knowing that I'm still too scared to tell her what I am - a lying alien who pretends to be a hero.
At least he’s good at self reflection.
CLARK: cat

For me to be a complete stranger to her - this hurts in a way that I don't have adequate words for.
[Linked Image]

Yet what choice do I really have? The doctors have to treat Lois as they deem best for her particular injuries and memory loss. The process can't be rushed. Not without gambling her very essence.
DETER: [Linked Image]

But, again, there is literally not a thing I can do to speed up the process of regaining Lois' memories, nothing I can contribute to aid in her self-discovery.
/points at MLT’s Nowhere to Run/

I should be happy. No, I should be ecstatic to find out that there are more people like me, to know that the Kryptonian race will not die with me.
And then they turn out to be a bunch of power-crazy duches with strange marital practices.

Why did I agree to this? Why did I ever leave home? Why did I willingly part from Lois?
LOIS: I’ve got a theory and it’s not very flattering…

[NK arc]

Alone.
Which one is that one? /has bad feeling about this/

I feel like all of my insides have been scooped right out of me and left to be stomped upon in the street.
WILLIAM WALLACE: wave

Lois.

My Lois.

The love of my life.

Gone.
sad /heads over to Home/

Going home was somehow even worse than standing there in the bright sunshine in the cemetery.
Bright sunshine?
SUN: cool

Alone.
peep

Alone?

Not as long as Lois' soul exists.
[Linked Image]

Very well written! The single word sentences gave it something special clap

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, guys, who’s keeping the Kryptonian isolated? You *know* he needs a Lois to properly flourish. Otherwise, he just sits around and mopes the entire day.

At least she doesn't do to him what she does to plants. The horror!

WOMAN: You come home at *this* time? And you smell! What is that, whisky and cheap floozy?

Cat: Hey! I resemble that remark!

Please! Please, no more cutting! Please, not the bone saw! Have mercy, at least give me something to drink first!

Give me the [censored] epidural! For the love of God, you sadist!

These are the adventures of the Kryptonian baby capsule NK-1702…

FN-2187 wink

Lois: <hits Cat with an oversized ice cream spoon>

TAXI DRIVER: And they call *us* reckless drivers.

Clark: You are and I don't charge.

He’s a Na’vi? Should have seen that one, tall and blue that he is.

Maybe he's born with that Earthly complexion. Maybe it's Maybelline.

LEX: So it *is* nurture, not nature. I wonder if I can get a copy or mind-wipe him or something…

Dr. Klein: <zips mouth shut against the idea of cloning>

LEX: So, he *doesn’t* want to remake the world in his image?

HG Wells: <protests>

TRASK: I could shackle him to a wall. Would that help?

Female Fans: YES, PLEASE!!!!!!!! drool

Clark: I tried plate armor, but Lois threatened me.

I can see why you are thinking of staying alone in this world. But maybe I introduce you to Linda King? Vicky once mentioned she was a passable reporter. Plus, a blonde!

Clark: <does the math> Sorry, but blondes are statistically trouble in Metropolis. Including the blonde who writes my stories.

Lois: That's not what I heard.

Very well written! The single word sentences gave it something special

Thank you! It was very different for me, continuously coming back to that one word, driving home Clark's loneliness in different ways. But it felt powerful to me, and kept driving home Clark's plight in my mind.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

At least she doesn't do to him what she does to plants. The horror!
rotflol Yes, I believe it’s Clark’s job to provide *her* with coffee, not the other way ‘round.

Give me the [censored] epidural! For the love of God, you sadist!
clap
Coupling, on epidurals:

FN-2187
No, that’s a name, the NCC-1701’s a ship smile

Lois: <hits Cat with an oversized ice cream spoon>
clap

Maybe he's born with that Earthly complexion. Maybe it's Maybelline.
laugh

Clark: I tried plate armor, but Lois threatened me.
laugh A bit of a chicken and egg situation, isn’t it?

Clark: <does the math> Sorry, but blondes are statistically trouble in Metropolis. Including the blonde who writes my stories.
evil

Lois: That's not what I heard.
Burn!

But it felt powerful to me, and kept driving home Clark's plight in my mind.
CLARK: mecry
(translation: that it did)

Let’s see what Together is about…

wave Michael

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard