Vatman - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously

Early the next morning, before Lois and Clark arrived; Jimmy was knocking on Perry's office door. He didn't wait for him to call out, but simply opened the door and entered. When he did he saw Perry, leaning back in his chair, staring out of the window. He asked, "Chief? You wanted to see me?"

Perry's voice had lost some of its gruffness as he asked, "Run an errand for me, will you, son? I'd like some of those taquitos with the green sauce from Manny's."

Jimmy was shocked and it was in his voice as he replied, "Mr. White, it's eight in the morning!"

Some of the gruffness returned to Perry's voice as he replied, "So what? Sometimes you've got to go for the gusto and damn the consequences. Life's too damn short."

The pieces of the puzzle all started to fall into place. This was just too much for Jimmy and tears started to form in his eyes, "It's … happening soon, isn't it?"

Perry was taken aback. He asked, "How'd you find out?"

"I put two and two together like you always taught me."

Perry swiveled around and pointed his finger at Jimmy's face as he said, "I don't want any to-do. And I don't want anyone else in on it either. Got it?" Perry lowered his finger having made his point. He finished in a wistful tone, "A man goes his whole life saying 'later.' 'Later I'll do this, experience that.' Then, you run out of 'laters.'"

Jimmy was very moved, emotionally and suppressed a sob, before he replied, "I understand, Chief." He sniffed and continued, "I just want you to know that I think you're the bravest man I've ever met. You're handling this with such grace, such dignity."

Perry waxed philosophical, "Well, time marches on, kid. You either accept life's process, or ... not."

"Chief. There's something else." Jimmy paused to wipe at a tear, "You've always been like a father to me. I ... love you."

Perry was touched by this sentiment, but puzzled as to why Jimmy would be getting so emotional, he asked, "Jimmy? You okay?"

Jimmy was in awe, "Me? Oh, Chief, you're too much. Too much."

Perry watched in consternation as Jimmy slowly walked away closing the door behind him.

A little later in the day, Lois and Clark had been researching possibilities for an explanation of the imposter. They had been brainstorming when she suddenly stopped her pacing and blurted out, "That's it!"

Clark quickly moved to her side. In a quiet tone, he asked, "What'd you find?"

She lowered her tone and looked around before saying what she thought, "A clone."

He matched her subdued tone as he replied, "You really think he could be a clone?"

She said, "Yes, it's so obvious. You suggested the possibility that he was a robot, but there's no technology in the world that could produce a robot like that." She paused and lowered her voice further, "And we know Superman doesn't have a twin. We learned that from the globe."

"Why couldn't he be a robot?"

She lowered her tone even more and said, "Come on, Clark. Give me a little credit. I'd know the difference between flesh and blood and a robot. He kissed me, remember? Those were flesh and blood lips. Besides, who would program a robot to act like a hormone driven teenager on his first date? That leaves only one possibility. That means that someone has cloned Superman. They've made an exact genetic copy."

Clark was still not convinced, "How? They can't do that yet. We're not that advanced."

Lois countered, "Maybe we are. I read an article in the Metropolis Science Magazine ..." She shifted focus and spotting Jimmy, shouted, "Jimmy!"

He looked up from his monitor as she issued her orders, "Down to the stacks. Metropolis Science Magazine. Sometime last year, oh, the last three months of the year. An article on cloning."

He didn't budge from his desk as he replied, "I'll get right on it."

Frustrated that he wasn't moving fast enough for her, she said, "Jimmy, I need it, yesterday!"

Somewhat panicked, he jumped up and started to jog away, "Right away."

Lois had a smug look as she folded her arms across her chest and turned back to Clark, "We'll see."

Ten minutes later Lois had the magazine in her hands. She quickly re-read the article to refresh her memory and then lifting the phone dialed information, "Yes. I'd like the number for a Doctor Fabian Leek." She gave Clark a look that said, "Am I good, or what?"

And now:

Chapter 6

An hour later Lois and Clark were in a rundown laboratory on the east side. At least it looked rundown, but that could simply be because there were a lot of samples lying around in containers, jars and Petri dishes on every flat surface.

Lois had felt uncomfortable ever since they had walked in. She was regretting her choice of wardrobe today. Although the tight top with the scoop neck showed off her figure to advantage, she was just happy that it wasn’t like the top she had worn to Paris. This one was marginally more modest. At least she wasn’t wearing the push up bra. The skirt was short and as if that wasn’t enough, it was slit up the left side in the front so that when she walked her leg showed all the way to mid-thigh. Whenever she had looked up from her notes at Leek he had been leering at her and she had felt like she was she was a specimen being examined as a candidate for cloning.

Even as he was answering her question, he was leering at her, "You see, my dear Ms. Lane, it's child's play to clone individual cells. As simple and natural as the reproductive act itself." As he mentioned ‘reproductive act' he smiled at her as if testing the waters to see if she were willing.

She replied with a stern expression. With Superman for a husband and sex partner, why would she ever consider Leek, but she couldn’t say that. Instead, she challenged, "But, you wrote a paper in college that said entire human beings could be cloned if the right genetic material were available. It was printed in Metropolis Science Magazine."

Fearing that if Luthor found out that he had said anything, anything at all about his work that he wouldn't live to regret it, he said, "Yes, but I was young and, unfortunately, overly optimistic. It's taken me thirty years to finally be able to clone a frog. The process is much more difficult than I imagined. We're years away from successfully applying the technique to human beings."

While Lois kept Leek busy, Clark had been looking for anything that might give them a lead. So far he hadn't found anything encouraging and right then he was looking into a fish tank that contained only a frog, a very dead frog. He said, "And I guess the process isn't exactly foolproof."

Seeing what Clark was looking at, Leek reached in and grabbing the dead frog lifted it out of the container. He was standing there holding the dead frog as he said, "Unfortunately, you're correct, Mister Kent. I'm sorry I can't be of greater assistance."

As Lois and Clark headed for the door, Dr. Leek grabbed Lois's hand and pulled her back toward himself, "I would however, be very honored to take you to dinner, Ms. Lane. We could discuss the miracles of life in more, shall we shall, tangible terms."

Thinking fast, Lois smiled a deceptively shy smile as she said, "I have a better idea."

Leek brightened up, "Yes?"

In a sultry tone, Lois said, "Why don't you … go home … change into something more ... comfortable … pack an overnight bag and then come back here ..." Lois paused to see what effect she was having on him. She was satisfied to see that he was practically salivating at her supposed proposition, "and take all these poor frogs and release them in the nearest lily pond. Oh, and by the way, the name is Lois Lane … *Kent*."

At her emphasis on her married name, Leek looked abashedly at Clark.

Lois turned and hooked her arm through Clark's as they left the laboratory.

As they exited the building, Lois was fuming and Clark was chuckling. Lois exclaimed, "That guy is a real piece of work. A lying, sleazy, piece of work." She thought about what they had gotten and fumed, "He completely backtracked on all of his recent research."

He was still chuckling at what she had done to him. "You really had him going there. He actually thought you were accepting his proposition. The look on his face was priceless.” Clark was thinking along more practical lines as he said, “Still ... in order to even begin to make a clone, they would have to have used cells from Superman's body. I'm invulnerable so ... how? How could he have gotten a sample to start with?"

"I don't know, Clark. But somebody figured it out. And we're going to figure out who."

"Lois, I think we already know who. I think we need to check and see just where or who Leek's funding is coming from. If we can trace it back to Luthor, it'll be another item on our list, although I don't think that there have been any laws passed concerning cloning human beings as yet. I think I need to confront the imposter again and this time get some real answers. I'll meet you back at the Planet."

Lois nodded and Clark ducked around the building to change. A few seconds later Lois saw a red and blue streak fly away.

Clark was banking on the fact that he hadn't needed to be too active in and around Metropolis lately so his doppelganger would have little fear of running into him and thus be somewhat careless. Reaching an altitude of twenty-thousand feet he hung motionless in the sky. He was above the service ceiling of all but high-performance aircraft used in civil aviation and below the air lanes used by commercial aviation so there was little fear of being a traffic hazard. He scanned the area between him and the ground looking for movement. After almost an hour, he finally spotted a red and blue streak crossing the cityscape below him. He took off in pursuit.

He put on a burst of speed, flashed to a position in front of the imposter and hovered there waiting for him to arrive.

When he did, he was startled and came to a hover facing Clark. The imposter was a little less cocky, possibly due to the interaction he had had with Clark the previous evening.

Superman addressed him, "I need to ask you something. Last time we talked you told me you were as old as I was."

The imposter thought for a second and then, in a mature manner replied, "Yes, that is correct."

Superman challenged, "Are you sure? I mean, do you have memories of your life?" Wondering just how much he should reveal he decided to get it out there, "Do you remember growing up? Do you have any friends? When did you learn to fly?"

The look of confusion on his face spoke volumes to Clark. Lois was right, he had to be a clone, but how? What was the source of genetic material?

The imposter tried to slough it off, "So what if I can't remember?"

Superman tried to be reasonable as he explained, "You can't remember because your 'father' made you, built you from a part of me. You're a biological machine. You have no childhood memories because you never existed until recently."

Then the imposter proved that he hadn't actually matured all that much as he replied, "That's a lie. You're a liar. You're not even really Superman. You're Clark Kent."

That statement surprised and worried Clark. He tried to figure out how he knew, but came up with a blank. He asked, nervously, "Have you told anybody, your father, that?"

Sensing that he had the upper hand, the imposter pushed his advantage, "Not yet, but I might."

The imposter was pleased that he appeared to have a hold over Superman when Superman pleaded, "Please don't."

Arrogantly, the imposter challenged, "Why shouldn't I?"

Superman replied, confidently, "Because *someone's* been lying to you, but it hasn't been me. If you tell your ‘father' someone could be hurt, perhaps, Lois."

Puzzled, the imposter spun around and took off.

Clark met Lois back at the Planet a few minutes later. Lois saw the worried look on his face as he stepped out of the stairwell. Without a word she stood and headed for the conference room.

Once they were in there and the door closed, Clark said, "He knows who I am."

Lois was startled, "What?!? How?"

"I don't know. He must have hung around last night. Saw me change and stay home."

"Wow, what if he tells his ‘father'?"

"He told me, that he hadn't."

"But he could. I'm afraid."

"It's funny, though. I should avoid him. I should fear him and what he could do, but …"

"But what?"

"He's just ... so much like me. So much like the brother I never had, never will have. I imagine it's the way I would feel if Herb actually did bring one of the Supermen from another universe here for a visit. The same way you would feel if he brought his Lois with him. She would be much closer than your sister, Lucy. She'd be another you."

"Did he tell you what he wanted?"

"No, but the other night he said that I was his enemy. I'd say that a confrontation was inevitable."

Worried now, Lois asked, "Could he hurt you?"

"I'm not sure. From what I've seen, he has every power and ability that I have. If it came to a fight, one or both of us could be killed or neither of us. It is like the age old question of the immovable object and the irresistible force. Which would win? Would the irresistible force be strong enough to move the immovable or would the immovable *remain* immovable? We are both equally invulnerable and equally strong."

"Let's hope it doesn't come to that. Let's go out to my desk. I want to show you what I found."

They moved out to Lois's desk and she picked up an article, but before showing it to him she said, "I found it! This has to be it." She held up a paper for Clark to see and while he read she talked, "Look! 'Superman donates a lock of hair for charity auction.'"

Clark nodded thoughtfully and said, "Of course, I remember." He tried to remember, but was drawing a blank so he asked, "Does it say who bought it?"

"I'm way ahead of you. Mrs. Doyle Alexander. I called her and she said that there was a break-in at her house the day after the auction. The lock of hair was stolen. They never found out who took it and she never got it back."

Clark pulled Lois into a hug and gave her a kiss of appreciation, "Good work. Now we know how it was done. Now all we have to do is prove the who."

"My money is on Leek and Luthor is behind it."

"I agree with you, but proving it will be difficult."

"Not if you can get him to talk."

"Him … who?"

"The clone, the imposter."

"He seems to have been pretty well indoctrinated. I asked him who his ‘father' was and he said that he had promised not to say."

"Well, that's one way he's like you. He keeps his promises."

That evening, after this latest confrontation with Superman the clone was lying on a table in the laboratory where he had been ‘born' and Dr. Leek was performing a regular exam. He was currently shining a bright penlight into his eyes checking the pupillary reflex. That is a simple test that can disclose the presence of a brain injury even one as minor as a concussion.

Then Dr. Leek moved the light back away and as he moved it from side to side, said, "Follow the light."

The clone attempted to follow the directions, but was unable to completely comply. There was a slight hesitation, a lag which Dr. Leek found troubling. He was careful not to say anything that the clone could hear that would cause a problem so he said, "All right, all done. For now." He turned to Luthor, who was an interested bystander and said, "Isn't it time for bed?"

Picking up on Leek's unspoken suggestion, Luthor said, "Yes, son. Time to go to bed. You've had a long day."

Luthor started to move in his direction as if to help put him to 'bed', but the clone became petulant and said, "I'm not a child anymore. I don't need to be told when it's time to go to bed."

Luthor was angered at this display of rebellion. He wouldn't put up with it from his minions and he certainly wouldn't put up with it from his creation. He reached out, took him by the ear and said in an angry tone, "You look here. I'm still your father and you will do as I say." Using his ear as leverage he started walking him toward the tank.

The clone, gave up his rebellion and asked, "Why don't I have any memories of growing up?"

Luthor became evasive, "That's not something for you to worry about."

"Superman said that the reason I don't have any memories is because I am not real. I'm a biological machine."

Luthor replied, "That's not true."

"What is the truth?"

Luthor had to resort to the only refuge of the liar caught in the lie, bluff and bluster, "How dare you question me?"

Reverting to childlike behavior, the clone said, "I bet I know some things you'd like to know."

Intrigued, Luthor asked, "Like what."

Seeing how anxious Luthor was for the information, the clone hesitated. What Superman, Clark Kent, had said about the possibility of Lois being hurt if he said anything bothered him. He knew that she was married and he didn't have any chance with her, but he still didn't want to see her hurt. He did like her. He liked her a lot. She seemed to draw him in some inexplicable way.

Deciding to keep the secret, he said, defiantly, "I think it's my bedtime." He was already dressed in the swim trunks so he hopped into the tank and started attaching the leads to his body.

Once the chamber was closed and sealed he appeared to go to sleep.

Completely forgetting that the clone had Superman's super-hearing, as they were walking out, Luthor turned to Leek and in a worried tone, questioned, "What is it?"

Leek's response wasn't comforting, "We have a little … problem."

Luthor was petulant, "Enlighten me."

Leek sighed and said, "His vital signs are weakening: brain wave activity erratic, irregular heartbeat, and so on."

Never on to beat about the bush, Luthor cut to the chase, "Prognosis?"

Leek's reply wasn't encouraging, "He's dying. Like the frogs." In an attempt to assuage Luthor's anger he continued, "He was our first, our prototype. I warned you there might be … complications."

Hearing this Luthor became concerned, but it was obvious that his concern was not for the welfare of his ‘son' as he asked, "Has he lost any of his strength or powers yet?"

Leek replied, "Not yet, but time is running out."

Luthor made a decision, "Then it must happen tomorrow."

Leek challenged, "What makes you think he can win?"

Luthor demonstrated just how amoral he was when he replied, "Because, if it meant the difference between winning and losing, he'd pick up a train loaded with passengers and use it to bash Superman's skull in. Unlike Superman, he has no restraint, no morality. *I* taught him."

Luthor turned to look at the clone. He was suspended in a murky liquid within the tank. Musingly he said, "Tomorrow. Tomorrow he will kill Superman."

As Luthor and Leek turned to leave the lab, the clone opened his eyes and watched. What he had heard had been very enlightening, every single word.

The next day, Lois and Clark broached an idea to Perry. They wanted to see how well it would be accepted. They went to see Perry in his office.

Lois asked, "Perry, what would you say if I told you that there were two Supermen?"

Perry was incredulous, "Two Supermen?"

Lois tried, "I know it sounds farfetched, but ..."

Perry was less than impressed, he retorted, "Farfetched? Lois, if I told you I saw Elvis last night at the LexSave what would you call it?"

Lois rebutted, "But Chief …"

Perry was poking holes in the story and actually responding in just the way that they had expected, "Look, you say that since this 'clone' appeared, the 'real' Superman hasn't been seen. Think about it. Maybe there aren't two of them, but the real one has gone ... crazy.”

Cat was attracted by Perry's tirade and wandered into the office.

Lois tried to convince Perry, "No. I'm telling you he's a clone. I should know. He showed up at our apartment last night."

Cat asked, "What'd you do, kick Clark out so that you could have a rendezvous with Superman?" Cat schmoozed up to Clark and put her hands on his arms as she finished, "Next time send him to my apartment. I am sure I could entertain him. He might not want to come home."

The look that Lois gave her left no question in her mind as to what Lois thought of her suggestion. She quickly removed her hands from Clark's arm, slunk out of the office and returned to her desk.

Perry watched Cat leave and then turned back to Lois. "Lois, I don't know what to tell you except ... don't even *think* about writing this story until you can present me with solid evidence."

Lois and Clark returned to their desks, Lois sighed and said, "So much for testing the waters."

Clark said, "I don't know. I've got a feeling that something's going to happen that will resolve this issue … soon."

Jimmy saw Lois and Clark leave Perry's office and he decided that he needed to talk with him. Getting up from his desk, he moved to Perry's office and without knocking, walked in. Without preamble, he asked, "Chief?"

Perry appeared to be slightly annoyed at the interruption as he replied, "I'm in a rush this morning, Jimmy. A lot of things to do before ..."

Jimmy cut him off in mid-sentence, "That's what I wanted to talk to you about. I have a phone number here ... it's the Metropolis Hot Line. Twenty-four hours. There are counselors there, ready and willing to hear your problems."

Perry was totally mystified with Jimmy's statement, but decided to be polite. He hoped the kid wasn't losing it, "Thanks, Jimmy. I'll keep them in mind."

Jimmy was pleased that Perry hadn't thrown him out on his ear so he pressed his advantage, "Chief, there are people out there who know what you're going through. You don't have to suffer alone."

Perry was more confused than before and was about to ask Jimmy to please tell him what he was talking about when his phone rang. "Hello? Yeah, Alice, hold on a sec." He placed his hand over the mouthpiece and asked, "Anything else?"

Jimmy wasn't sure what to say so as he left he offered, lamely, "Uh, no. I'll be right outside. If you ... need a shoulder to lean on or something."

Jimmy exited and Perry shook his head in bewilderment. He muttered, "What's gotten into him?" and then spoke to Alice. They were planning to have dinner together.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 04/24/15 10:32 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj