Vatman - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously

During the midday lunch hour, a familiar figure in a familiar red, yellow and blue uniform was streaking through the sky. Clouds flashed by as he exceeded Mach 2 the problem was that he was low in the atmosphere and the sonic boom created by his passage followed close behind him and it was very disruptive. He dove toward the ground and flew through the canyon created by the skyscrapers of the city. The individual flying so fast and low was actually looking behind to see just what effect the boom he was creating was having. He saw pedestrians covering their ears because of the loudness. He saw a waiter at a sidewalk café startle and drop a tray full of drinks. There were several near collisions resulting from startled drivers. Seeing this he laughed out loud and let out a whoop as he zoomed up above the spires of the city once more. In his exuberance he did several barrel rolls.

While Lois was making her contacts and leaving massages, Clark had gone downstairs. He exited the elevator and carrying some photos he approached Lois's desk. "Lois, do you have a magnifying lens? These are some stills I got from our Paris bureau."

Reaching into her desk drawer she pulled out a magnifier. Clark handed her a still photo to examine. She gave it a close perusal and then seeing several people nearby when she looked around said, "Sure looks like Superman to me."

He nodded in agreement and said, "Me too."

"People are going to think that we're fans looking at our hero. Before we were married, I had to have been the biggest Superman fan in Metropolis. Maybe we should join the fan club." He gave her a look of disbelief before in an undertone she said, "It'd help with the secret. You'll get a button. Who would ever think that a Superman fan would actually be Superman? Think of it as camouflage."

Thinking about how Lois's mind worked, Clark shook his head and returned to his desk. Lois got up and followed him, sitting in his guest chair she slowly crossed her legs causing the short skirt to become just that much shorter. She watched his eyes move to her display and smiled at the attention, before she continued, "It's crazy, really." She dropped her voice to a whisper, "I still have a hard time believing that I, little old me, I … am married to the one and only, Superman."

"Maybe not the one and only any more."

"I can't believe that even before we were married I had the gall to believe that Superman was mine ... uh ... Metropolis'. I really had no idea. I mean, unselfishly speaking, I suppose Superman should belong to the world. But then again, selfishly speaking ... I thought this was his home and now that we are married, I know it for a fact. It's amazing. You're amazing."

He reached out and took her hand in his, "Wherever you are is where my home is, Lois."

The tender tone and the sentiment expressed was pushing her close to tears as she said, "That's what is so mind boggling, that I mean that much to you. I'm nobody."

"Oh, quite the contrary, Lois, you are the most special woman I have ever known. You complete me. Without you, I'm only half a man. I love you."

As a single tear of joy trickled down her cheek, she smiled a gentle smile and leaned in for a kiss.

And now:

Chapter 4

That night, Superman was out looking for the imposter again. He was thinking to himself how possibly fruitless the search would continue to be. He could only be in one place at a time and he was coming to the realization that it was indeed a very large planet. The more he thought about it the more he was convinced that Lois's idea was the best way to go. He was just about to head home when he suddenly heard, "Hey! You," coming from above him.

Clark stopped, hovered and looked up as the imposter slowly floated down. The imposter was arrogantly assuming Superman's folded arms posture. Once they were eye to eye they both slowly descended to ground level. It was a staring contest the entire way and neither flinched even when they both touched down.

Once they were on the ground, Clark started examining the imposter, closely. He was stunned to realize that the imposter was an exact duplicate in every way, but one. While Clark had a serious expression and was treating the situation with the gravity it deserved, the imposter's attitude was that of mocking Superman.

Clark finally broke the silence, "Who are you?"

The imposter's reply was couched in a petulant tone, "I don't want to talk. You're my enemy!"

Clark was taken aback at this and asked, "Why would you say that?"

It became obvious to Clark as the imposter was speaking that he had been carefully indoctrinated in that belief, "I am the most powerful man in the universe. You've outlived your usefulness."

Shocked at this, Clark asked, "Who told you these things?"

With childlike smugness the imposter replied, "My father."

Really curious now, Clark asked, "Who's your father?"

With childlike determination not to disobey, the imposter said, "I promised never to tell."

Seeing that this method of approach was failing, Clark tried another approach, "I'm not your enemy. I want to be your friend. I want to know more about you, like where you come from."

Displaying what appeared to be a rudimentary understanding of biology, the imposter replied, "I was born in the womb. My father took me out."

This seemed to be a natural answer, so Clark followed it up with, "Okay. How old are you?"

Smugly the imposter replied, "As old as you." He appeared to be quickly tiring of the conversation, just as a child would and with a child's flightiness suddenly took off and shouted back, "Catch me if you can!"

Taken off guard, it took Clark some seconds to get himself together and give chase. He could keep the imposter in sight because of his super-vision, but since they were equally fast, he couldn't close the gap, all he could do was follow and try to keep the imposter from losing him.

The imposter led him a merry chase, high into the stratosphere, for many miles through the waters of the Atlantic, through tunnels (fortunately there were no trains passing through them at the same time) and around mountains.

Finally as they were passing by the Alps, the sonic boom created by the imposter's passage caused an avalanche. Clark saw a village that would be threatened and stopped to help while the imposter continued on and out of sight.

The imposter finally arrived at his destination without his follower. With stealthy tread he entered a large room, breathing a sigh of relief in the belief that he was home scot free. He was startled and stopped in mid stride when the lights suddenly went on.

He turned toward the light to see Lex Luthor sitting in an easy chair with a book that he had apparently been reading in hand. Luthor, in a chiding tone said, "Do you have any idea what time it is?"

The imposter hung his head in shame and said, "Sorry, father." Then in a childlike attempt to please a parent, he said, "I was just ... practicing -- like you told me. My 'out-of-town' tryout. I think I did good."

Luthor was his usual urbane self as he replied, "Yes. I saw you in Paris."

Seeing that his ‘father' was at least not dissatisfied and possibly even pleased he added, "And I saved that sinking ship in Rio. That was fun."

Luthor's tone was scolding as he said, "All well and good, but when I say 10:00, I mean 10:00." Thinking that he needed to assure himself of his ‘child's' obedience, he asked, "You haven't been flying around Metropolis, have you?"

Knowing that he was lying, but hoping that he wouldn't be caught in the lie the imposter said, "Oh, no father, you told me not to."

Luthor, in a calculated show of affection, gave his ‘son' a hug which the imposter returned.

Breaking the hug, Luthor said, "Come with me, son. Time for bed."

The imposter started to smile and jumped up on Luthor's back for a piggy-back ride. Once he was held securely, he asked, "Will you tell me a story?"

Luthor talked down to him, as if to a child, "Maybe. If you're in bed quickly, with no fuss."

Luthor carried his charge into an adjoining room which was crammed full of electronic and chemical equipment all of which surrounded a central chamber. The imposter quickly removed the Superman uniform and clothed simply in swim trunks pasted some contacts to his body. Through regular practice he knew just where to apply them. The wires that led from them were attached to the equipment and item after item, as the leads were attached, came to life and started to display their information - blood pressure, pulse and respiration among others.

The imposter jumped down off of the platform he had been standing on, into a large tank.

While the imposter had been changing and preparing, Luthor had been engaged in telling his story, a corrupt version of Red Riding hood, "… and then the Wolf said to Red Riding hood, 'Are you sure the policy is in your name?' And Red Riding hood said, 'Yes. Grandma said when she passed away I would inherit everything.' So the Wolf said, 'Let's pay grandma a visit.'" Luthor paused while he hit a set of switches in the sequence that Leek had drilled into him before he continued, "And so, Red Riding hood took off her hood and cape and gave it to the Wolf."

It was apparent that either he had heard the story before or else he knew how Luthor thought because the imposter finished for him, "And the Wolf went through the forest to Grandmother's house, ate her, and he and Red Riding hood split the money."

A pleased smile lit up Luthor's face at his response and commended his ‘son' by amplifying, "That's right, as it should be. The grandmother was old and it was time for the younger, stronger generation to take over." Luthor paused to throw some more switches and then continued in a thoughtful tone, "And so it is with you and the old Superman. You and I are destined to control this city and eventually the world."

When Luthor closed another switch the tank that the imposter was in began filling with a murky fluid. The imposter donned a breathing apparatus as a lid descended and sealed against the bottom of the tank, completely enclosing it.

Before the tank was completely full, Luthor admonished him, "Remember: All that ultimately counts is winning. All that satisfies is power. Might is Right." He closed another switch to activate the magnetic seal and said, "Obey me in all things and we shall realize our dream."

As the fluid closed over the imposter's head, Luthor's eyes had the fire of hate in them. He muttered, "To destroy Superman. He is my enemy. Therefore, he is *your* enemy. You will be the instrument of our victory, then *you* will be the one, the only Superman. *My* Superman."

Luthor put out the lights as he left the laboratory, because that was precisely what it was.

When Clark arrived at home, he found Lois, already in her robe, curled up on the sofa. The TV was on, but she was asleep. After turning the TV off he picked her up and cradled her to his chest. Even in her sleep her arms automatically made their way around his neck and she snuggled her face into his shoulder. In her sleep she murmured, "Oh, Clark. You're here with me."

Clark planted a kiss on the top of her head and said, "I wouldn't be anywhere else," and carried her into the bedroom. He placed her on the bed on her side and lay down behind her. Reaching around he untied the belt of her robe and gently worked it off of her. When he did he discovered that she was naked underneath. Reaching around he cupped her breast and sighing she stirred as she awoke. She said, "This had better be my husband and not the imposter."

"If it was the imposter, what would you do?"

"I'd scream for my husband and then I'd rip your arm off and beat you over the head with it."

"Well, I'm certainly glad I don't have to worry about that, my love."

Lois pulled his hand off of her breast and pulled it up so that she could kiss his palm. As she did she smelled his hand. Shifting around, Lois leaned in and smelled and then tasted the skin of his neck. She said, "So far so good. You smell and taste like my husband." She started trailing her hands over his chest.

She smiled and said, "Feels like my husband."

"What do I have to do to prove that I'm your husband?"

"No one could kiss me like my hus …"

Anything more that she was going to say was lost when his lips sealed to hers. Only seconds later his tongue swiped across her lower lip seeking entrance to her mouth. She parted her lips and their tongues started a slow tango.

When they both needed air they broke from the kiss. Lois smiled and said, "Just one more te-"

She stopped speaking and emitted a sigh of profound pleasure as he completed that final test. Her arms came around his back and pulled him tight as her legs came up around his hips.

Breathlessly, she whispered, "No one else could love me like this. Hello, husband."

As they were lying together basking in the after-glow of their lovemaking session, Clark said, "I finally ran into the imposter."

"Oh, how did it happen?"

"He actually found me, not the other way around. It was weird, like looking in a mirror. He's identical to me. I could hardly tell the difference. He told me that I was his enemy. He said that his ‘father' had told him that. When I asked who his father is he said that he had promised not to tell."

"With that attitude there isn't much question who it is."

"Yeah, that was my conclusion as well, but how can we prove it?"

"You need to follow him home, wherever that is."

"Luthor hasn't been away so logically ‘home' is somewhere in Metropolis. He must have been on his way back home when he accosted me."

Why didn't you follow him?"

"Oh, I tried, but he led me on a merry chase. He created an emergency that I had to deal with and by the time I was finished, he was gone."

"I hope our other plan works."

"So do I."

The next morning Lois and Clark arrived at the Planet and they both had smiles on their faces as they exited the elevator. They moved to their desks and after taking sips from their travel mugs started their day.

Perry wasn't sure what his star reporting team was working on, but mid-morning he stepped out of his office. Anyone looking at him would have done a double-take. Instead of his normal dress shirt open at the collar with his tie loose and just a vest over, he was dressed in an Armani suit with a Jerry Garcia tie. Most striking of all was the hairpiece. It seemed to take ten years off of his appearance. Neither Lois nor Clark noted this because they were not looking in his direction as he shouted, "Lois! Robbery and hostage situation at the Metropolis Merchant's Bank. Shake a leg."

Lois looked at Clark and in response he nodded and headed for the stairwell.

When she turned back to Perry she actually saw him for the first time that morning and was stunned. She did that double-take and asked, "New suit?"

Perry smiled at the recognition and replied, "As a matter of fact, yes."

This was so unusual that Lois had to ask, "Huh. Special occasion?"

Perry had actually been expecting something along that line, but was still unprepared, "Not really, no."

Lois looked him up and down and huffed, "Huh." Then as an afterthought, asked, "You okay?" His changed appearance was throwing her off. This almost stranger that was speaking with Perry's voice was confusing her. Her intuition was screaming at her that there was something wrong, but she couldn't tell what it was.

Not wanting to prolong the conversation, Perry asked, "Lois?"

Still distracted, she answered, "Yes?"

Like he was speaking to a ten year old, Perry reminded her, "The bank."

Lois broke out of her surprise and replied, "Oh! Right!" She grabbed her bag and dashed for the elevator.

Jimmy had been an interested observer of their conversation and coming up behind Perry asked, "Chief, are you sure you're okay?"

Perry was already uncomfortable as a result of the confrontation with Lois and this final straw broke the camel's back and he snapped at Jimmy with a raised voice, "Yes! I'm okay! Why is everybody asking if I'm okay?! I'm okay, okay? I'd be better if everyone around here minded their own business. Can't a man change his outfit without going through the third degree?" He looked around so that everyone knew that the following was a general announcement and bellowed, "The next person that asks so if I'm okay will be fired!" He looked around, challenging anyone to say anything and then with a huff turned and went to his office, slamming the door closed behind him.

Jimmy muttered to himself, "That man is not okay."

When Lois arrived at the bank everything was quiet. Many of the police were simply milling around. To all intents and purposes the emergency had been handled and they were in mop-up mode. She saw one patrolman standing nearby who was busy writing in his notepad. Lois approached him and identified herself, "Lois Lane, Daily Planet. What happened?"

The cop continued his notes as he spoke, "Tense stand-off until Superman got here."

Lois knew that Clark had been keeping a low profile while he looked for the imposter so it would be natural for her to evince surprise. In an excited tone, she asked, "He's here? In Metropolis?"

The cop finally looked up from his notes and nodded. Her eyes followed his finger as he pointed up and said, "He flew in the top floor window, apprehended the perp and freed the hostages." Shifting his stance he pointed off to the side, "He's over there."

When Lois turned in the indicated direction she saw Superman standing by as two uniformed officers loaded the perpetrator into the back of a Paddy wagon while he spoke with a couple of officers.

Lois was relieved to see Clark standing there talking to the cops. She shouted, "Superman! Superman! You're back!"

Suddenly there was a shout from the Paddy wagon, "Watch out," as the perp broke free of the officers and started to run away.

He had only gone a couple of steps when Superman caught him, lifted him by a handful of his shirt and then threw him almost twenty feet into the back of the Paddy wagon. The watching police simply shook their heads, but Lois stood there aghast. That wasn't something that Clark would do. This had to be the imposter.

One cop climbed into the back and secured the prisoner while another closed the doors. As soon as this was done he banged on the back as a signal to the driver that he could leave.

As the cops dispersed, Lois, in a desire to get a closer look at the imposter, slowly moved in his direction.

He saw her approach and turned toward her. He was staring at her, but there was no recognition in his eyes cementing the knowledge that this was indeed the imposter. She asked, "Superman?"

As he replied he was looking her over like a hormone driven teen checking out a co-ed classmate, "Yes?"

She decided to see just how much like Clark he actually was and so she said, "It's me. Lois."

There was still no spark of recognition, but there was a lustful look before he smirked and taking off, flew away at high speed.

Lois watched him depart and had a puzzled expression on her face as she wondered where Clark was.

Jimmy had been doing some research for Cat and was at her desk, delivering the latest results. As they discussed the results the sound of voices at the elevator attracted their attention. When they looked up they saw Perry talking with a couple of visitors.

In an aside to Jimmy, Cat commented, "Well, whatever the reason, I, for one, like his new look. I think he's sexy."

Jimmy was surprised and barely kept his voice low enough that it wouldn't be heard at the elevator, "Mr. White? Sexy?"

Cat looked at Jimmy in disbelief and said, "Very. I mean, he always had that aura of power, but now he's mixing it with a little style. Why do you think women flocked around Henry Kissinger? Because he had tight buns?"

Jimmy shook his head, <Women.> he thought and then said, "Still, there's something going on. He's never acted like this before." He thought for a second and then continued, like a cop analyzing a crime scene, "Ever since last week ... half the time he's poring over the brochures I got him ..."

Curious as her namesake, Cat asked, "Brochures?"

Jimmy ran off the litany of what he had provided, "White water rafting, tent safaris, Death Valley hikes ... a far cry from his usual two weeks in the Catskills with the Mrs. and yesterday he said something about 'living on the edge.'"

Picking up on Jimmy's concern, Cat replied, "Perry? The man's a permanent fixture in the slow lane." Her investigative instincts kicked in and she asked, "Anything happen last week that was unusual?"

Jimmy became lost in thought for a second and then he said, "I've been trying to think .... there was an awards dinner, stockholder's meeting, his annual medical check-up." Jimmy stopped abruptly and a look of fear came over his features. Cat's investigative instincts must have deserted her at that time because she did not pick up on the look or the statement.

She offered, "Well, let me know if you need any snooping around. I'm good at that. *Very* good." When she finished speaking she turned back to the printouts that Jimmy had just given her.

Perry had finished his conversation and returned to his office. A few minutes later, he came out and as he was passing Jimmy on his way to the elevator he said, "I'm history, Jimmy."

Jimmy was surprised at the terminology and asked, "Where are you going?"

Breezily, Perry replied, "Lunch. Thought I'd try some of that Japanese delicacy -- blowfish sushi."

Jimmy was alarmed and blurted out, "Isn't that the kind that can kill you?"

Perry smiled and said, "Sayonara," in his southern accent.

Jimmy watched Perry disappear into the elevator and decided that some investigating was in order so he headed for Perry's office.

Once he was in Perry's office he started looking at the items that he had left on his desk. He was surprised to see a hand mirror in amongst the loose papers. Finally his eyes lighted on his desk calendar. There was nothing on the current page so he started flipping through. He had been going backward in time and came finally came across a notation, "Doctor Zohar. Annual physical, 10:00 a.m." He remembered that appointment, but wondered if that was the cause of the Chief's changes. Thinking that that was past and that there might be some future event that all of this was pointing to he started flipping through again. This time he went forward in time. A few pages, or days, from the current day was a notation, "Metropolis Bridge. Jump. 11:00 p.m."

Even more concerned now, but not knowing just what to make of it, Jimmy returned the calendar to today's date and left Perry's office. As he did he puzzled over what he had read, "Metropolis Bridge? Jump?"

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 04/17/15 01:02 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj